Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

As we are coming to the end of another year and a particularly difficult one at that I'd just like to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread for the brightening of days with your great photographs. I've always had a respect for nature but watching this thread over the last few years has made me realise how little I actually know in regards to actual names of plants, trees and birds. Thanks to this thread I at least now know not all little brown birds are Sparrows even if I still can't recognise what they are. I was actually quite proud of myself last week walking through a local woodland when I spotted a small bird climbing up and down the tree trunks, I thought I bet that's a Tree Creeper, checking my book when I returned home I was 99% certain I was correct , everything tallied with what I saw.

This has been the first time I have had a bird feeder in my garden, sadly not attracting a great variety of garden birds but enjoyable non the less. It saw little use in the first few days when I became hopeful one morning when about half a dozen Goldfinches which had been nesting in the hedgerow opposite descended. I'm no expert as why after feeding on that day they then vanished. Since then the only visitors I've seen are Sparrows and a couple of Blue Tits and a Robin. I've enjoyed watching the larger birds trying to perch on the fat ball feeder with little success so along with the Magpies and a couple of Jackdaws two fat Wood Pigeons  regularly hoover up anything that drops to the floor. Only downside to the feeder is the amount of bird shit on my garden gate, maybe I'll have to re site the feeder to the bottom of the garden, I think they use the gate to perch as they wait to use the feeder. 

The photo of the Stag was one of those "bugger" moments when I had gone out without my camera which although meeting the needs for which I bought it is totally inadequate for shooting wildlife photos though the closeness of the Stag I could have got afar better photograph with said camera. Then again it could have been worse I could have been the bloke who pulled alongside me whilst I was taking the photo, he had on the passenger seat his camera with a lens the size that which Steve has posted pics of, he was well pissed off, his battery had run out and he thought his spare was charged which it wasn't.

Thanks again to all for posting.

IMG_20201109_141836[1].jpg

Every single person who contributed to this years thread has put a smile on my face. I don't pretend to be a expert ( I leave that to Martyn and Tattoodave) real experts. I've  just been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time some of the times . For example the Otter  pictures.  That was a once in a lifetime experience   I even had to run back to the car for the camera.   Opposite side of the coin. . I walked for a hour over rough terrain to see the Bearded Vulture back in September  . I took approximately 150 photographs, later when I got  back  home and checked, i had  blurred pictures, the image stabilisation had somehow got turn off.  Result all blurred pictures and im never ever going to see another one in the UK.  Gutted but at least  I've got the memory 📷.  But I'm lucky to be able to get out and about a bit more than normal with having no job ( as yet ,) so I can take a few pictures.  

May I suggest that you try using sunflower heart's for your bird feeder.  It may take a few days but the finches will return and once they know about the sunflower heart's they will bring in other types.  , woodpeckers,  bullfinch,  greenfinch etc

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

May I suggest that you try using sunflower heart's for your bird feeder

Cheers for that Steve, I did wonder if different seeds attracted different birds, I've noticed the Robin doesn't use the feeder but does use a small log I hollowed out and hung on the feeding pole. I'll look into some Sunflower hearts,

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Great white egret?

You beat me to it Russell.  Cant tell from the picture. Great white egret has Yellow beak and black feet and the little egret has a black beak and yellow feet

Great white egret is almost as big as a Grey heron. Little egret is half the size 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

You beat me to it Russell.  Cant tell from the picture. Great white egret has Yellow beak and black feet and the little egret has a black beak and yellow feet

Great white egret is almost as big as a Grey heron. Little egret is half the size 

Enlarging the pic as much as possible while still maintaining some integrity suggests a black beak and yellow legs, and thus a little egret. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Enlarging the pic as much as possible while still maintaining some integrity suggests a black beak and yellow legs, and thus a little egret. 

Did have a Black Beak . When took photo off phone . I  zoomed 2.5 times . To my eye was approximately half size as a Heron . Egret well first time I've seen one . Happy Days . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Lucky I got a night session in at my local lake Sat night, 7 Carp in total, biggest being this 23.5lb common, not great shots as it was pissing down, but a nice fish for what looks like will be my last trip for a while 😞

IMG_2027.jpgIMG_2028.thumb.jpg.18ad342cdc8e0ad0e20d7bec900ec174.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Lucky I got a night session in at my local lake Sat night, 7 Carp in total, biggest being this 23.5lb common, not great shots as it was pissing down, but a nice fish for what looks like will be my last trip for a while 😞

IMG_2027.jpgIMG_2028.thumb.jpg.18ad342cdc8e0ad0e20d7bec900ec174.jpg

Nice one Mal. Is that from that Caerphilly castle water that you recently joined  ? 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Nice one Mal. Is that from that Caerphilly castle water that you recently joined  ? 

no, thats Mathern mill mate, nr Chepstow, It's a good little fishery where I like to do nights, its safe and you can get a bend in your rod, unlike a few other lakes I'm fishing just now, where a double or 30lb is a hard catch, but thats the challenge, I flick between the two to keep my skills up, there is nothing more demoralising than to blank 4 / 5 times in a row on a hard lake 😕

They had a match on when I arrived, and although those boys were catching allot of silvers and tench, none had any carp, which was strange, its a great deep margins water, so with a bit of ground bait and single corn you can entice the bigger ones in of the night, they feel the pressure I think, and soon as everybody packs up, it bite time...

fishing talk, we just lost a lot of soul boys!! laughing

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Can I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread this year. There's been some fantastic pictures shared with us all. Massive thanks to Russell as always.  I won't be posting anything else on this thread this year. ( left my laptop at a friend's house a few weeks ago) and it will be the new year before I get it back so can't download any pictures from the camera.  Thanks again 

Agreed - so many brilliant photos, from the expert photographers and most of us who just capture things with our phone cameras or whatever basic kit we have to hand. Every photo posted here is a real delight to see.

See you - and everyone else - in the New Year!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Davebanks said:

Watching the snow fall here in Devon too. Made me think of sunnier and happier times when I snapped this shot with an underwater housing on a digital camera. My son in Fuerteventura earlier in the year.

Dave Banks035.thumb.JPG.d014cfd650065d490be186c29bf22850.JPG

That looks awesome would love to try surfing one day.  And it looks like you have the wave all to yourselves.

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Dylan said:

That looks awesome would love to try surfing one day.  And it looks like you have the wave all to yourselves.

We did have it all to ourselves and often do when we are there. It is a bodyboarding wave, very shallow over a lava rock reef. It is not a wave to learn on as its very fast.

The good thing about FUE is the water is  a warm 20 even in winter and the air about 25C and the waves a plentiful and the crowds sparse.

It is very hard getting good surfing shots from the water, not only is the subject moving fast, you are in danger of being pummelled by the wave and you can't look through a viewfinder. And in my case cannot wear your specs.

So luck plays a big part.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

These are my personal highlights of the year.

Managed to see a Bearded Vulture in the UK for the first and probably only time ever. 

Finally seeing a Osprey when I had the camera with me. 

Having a wonderful and probably the best encounter I will ever experience with a wild Otter 

Seeing for the first time in God knows how many years but unfortunately not managing to photograph two Water Voles  

1921526385_IB2A5558(3).thumb.JPG.ee7652a6ae3c16ed35938b42a49911fb.jpeg

1547809294_IB2A5535(3).thumb.JPG.88283422cb470e5f297937ca904e41b2.jpeg

IMG_20201026_111356_474.jpg

20201026_105715.jpg

20201026_105827.jpg

1114626776_IB2A6278(2).thumb.JPG.e34a67fb69b8bab0e9c2ebbfb2ed6701.jpeg

Stunning.photos mate. Makes.me.wish I had found the time to see the vulture and also not lost me camera the week before we went to Scotland. Great stuff

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulandy said:

Stunning.photos mate. Makes.me.wish I had found the time to see the vulture and also not lost me camera the week before we went to Scotland. Great stuff

Cheers Andy. Really appreciate your kind words mate 👍 I would have been gutted about losing my camera but I think I would have thought about hiring one. Espcially going to where you was.  Haven't got a clue how much it would cost though 😕 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Cheers Andy. Really appreciate your kind words mate 👍 I would have been gutted about losing my camera but I think I would have thought about hiring one. Espcially going to where you was.  Haven't got a clue how much it would cost though 😕 

I was a bit gutted but hey, I'll be back up there sometime, hopefully, if we're allowed 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Davebanks said:

We did have it all to ourselves and often do when we are there. It is a bodyboarding wave, very shallow over a lava rock reef. It is not a wave to learn on as its very fast.

The good thing about FUE is the water is  a warm 20 even in winter and the air about 25C and the waves a plentiful and the crowds sparse.

It is very hard getting good surfing shots from the water, not only is the subject moving fast, you are in danger of being pummelled by the wave and you can't look through a viewfinder. And in my case cannot wear your specs.

So luck plays a big part.

Dave Banks

When we visit Cornwall we always have a look in waves gallery.  They take some great wave shots from in the water mostly from porthleven.   Pricy but impressive.

Social source share

Just now, Dylan said:

When we visit Cornwall we always have a look in waves gallery.  They take some great wave shots from in the water mostly from porthleven.   Pricy but impressive.

In galleries like that you are helping to pay for those incredibly expensive pro camera waterproof cases. Think I was looking at £2000 for a case for mine, the camera only cost me £1650. and they are lens specific so these pro,s need numerous case's . But well worth it for the fantastic results if that's the path you want to go down.  Saying that one of  my lens is nearly £10,000 new. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

In galleries like that you are helping to pay for those incredibly expensive pro camera waterproof cases. Think I was looking at £2000 for a case for mine, the camera only cost me £1650. and they are lens specific so these pro,s need numerous case's . But well worth it for the fantastic results if that's the path you want to go down.  Saying that one of  my lens is nearly £10,000 new. 

And once you have the kit you still have to capture the perfect shot which could take a while.  If money were no object I’d buy quite a lot from them.

• Up vote 1
Social source share