Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

3 hours ago, Veedub said:

A few from yesterdays walk up the lane and back.  Lots of Chiffchaffs about .. A Chiffchaff calls  " chiff chaff, chiff chaff , chiff chaff.   What other birds are named after their call ?   .🙂.

In order.  Dunnock , they have a lovely song, then my first spot of a Willow Warbler this year  from a distance. although Steve (Winsford Soul) had one in his garden 2 weeks ago !! They have a lovely gentle wistful descending call. one of the many sounds of summer , lastly a Chiffchaff .

soul 333

soul 111

soul 222

Nice pictures Mike. In answer to your question.   I will start the ball rolling with.  PeeWit .another one was mentioned earlier in this thread  ? 

Social source share

20 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

Must admit those pictures of wildlife - animals and birds - posted up previously are absolutely stunning. Well done those people and please keep doing what you're doing so well.

Following on from my local railway history post dated 23 March.

A quick recap -  a few miles away from me are 2 large reservoirs which link into each other. Doe Park Reservoir (nearest to Denholme village) feeds into Hewenden Reservoir lower down the valley via Denholme Beck. Both reservoirs were built in the period 1840 – 1860. When the Great Northern Railway built the railway line linking up the industrial towns of Bradford and Halifax to Keighley it crossed over the Denholme Beck (just north of Hewenden Reservoir) which they enclosed in an underground culvert.

These photographs are of the Doe Park beginning of the culvert before it runs under the railway line.

1022707682_NorthTunnelentrance22_03_20.thumb.JPG.124576c0c907c70999a7dd4fd7cfeda7.JPG337696017_NorthTunnelentrancewithbanking22_03_20.thumb.JPG.423e057428c693479ba4a10249802ab9.JPG

756399722_NorthTunnelentrancecloseup22_03_20.thumb.JPG.42b528c5675a3846343fc585afb30eab.JPG

Brilliant Derek. Love seeing and hearing about local history . Keep them coming 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thank you Philippe.  Really appreciate the comment.

Trust all is well and safe with you and the family in France 

Honestly Dave, by seeing the flowers I can almost smell them !

All is well here in France, thank you. I'm privileged as I'm living in a tiny village lost in the woods so I can walk as long as I want whenever I want. Nature is beautiful these days.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Stevegods said:

First real walk out today .. and a good 2 hrs through the woods .. Wouldn’t know you where in London , thank heavens 

A very nice car on route - and a strange floating bin . 

soul 85C3FDC9 8DCD 41B0 AA56 B0859C24F60A

soul A3E254DA 6E2A 461D 82D4 E87D5C5492B6

soul 8D77A623 E533 4039 B625 B13EE28DC501

soul 726792F4 AD9B 498D 857C 78D073F968DB

soul 5F0D8657 68BB 4D4F 83FD 7E3E44437D5E

soul C36482C5 2875 487F 821D D633A0B9CC5A

soul 4717DE27 0A06 47CB 8745 2FBAA8B70A21

Looks like you enjoyed it mate..Glad to see your  up and about a bit . That must have wheelie bin a strange sight😎

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

I used to fish the canal at Sale and Broadheath, and the basin near washway road. If i was lucky enough to draw that section 

See a few fishing it but more towards oldfield brow, near the old Bay Malton, and up through Dunham to Lymm. 

Social source share

On 13/04/2020 at 15:19, Derek Pearson said:

I detest fly tipping and litter in general and whilst out dog walking in and around where I live I've noticed more and more of these silver canisters littering the streets. Apparently the motorised road sweepers have difficulty sweeping them up (because of their shape and smooth surface) and they just get scattered across the roads. Because of the lock down we're in there's far less people moving about which in turn means there's much less litter blowing about which unfortunately tends to highlight the presence of these canisters even more. Being slightly obsessive I can't ignore the fact that I've just seen them.

In the last month or so I've now picked up nearly a hundred of the little blighters without even going out of my way and looking for them. Fortunately they can be recycled very easily.

Derek - photograph taken 05.04.20

Canistors.thumb.JPG.3d54042d018c2602a4261cc942e381f4.JPG

Are they laughing gas cannisters that the kids have discarded? 

Social source share

On 13/04/2020 at 16:29, Veedub said:

A few from yesterdays walk up the lane and back.  Lots of Chiffchaffs about .. A Chiffchaff calls  " chiff chaff, chiff chaff , chiff chaff.    What other birds are named after their call ?  .🙂.

soul 333

soul 111

soul 222

Not sure about other birds named after their song call. 

But since Radcliffe & Maconie did a bit on R6 a few years back, I know when I hear the following calls;

Wood Pigeon - 'my toe hurts Betty' 

Dove? - 'U-ni-ted' being sung by a rather disgruntled football supporter. 

Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looks like you enjoyed it mate..Glad to see your  up and about a bit . That must have wheelie bin a strange sight😎

Thanks bud ..  we both felt quite tired after but it’s great to be back in the real world . 

Keep safe everyone 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Not posted anything here for ages, never seem to have a camera when needed, but this little chap spent over 30 minutes trying to fly through the shed window

DSCF7699.thumb.JPG.3098696384c9b271d97b65f40731e563.JPG

Nice picture mate.  Rick. I'm guessing that it's a territorial male and could see his reflection in the glass,  thinking it was a rival.  It happens a lot, used to get it with Pied Flycatchers , Chaffinch down at my Mum / Dads caravan on the Shropshire/ Wales border 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Back garden again.

Two Buzzards displaying about 1/2 mile above me whilst i was sat in the garden, not the clearest picture i,ve ever taken and its heavily cropped but the buzzards where riding a thermal and the heat haze was evident . Buzzards display over there nesting territory so i,m hoping to go and have a mooch around early one morning to see if i can find the nest site

soul IB2A3792 (3)

If buzzards had blue wings, we wouldn't be able to see them 🤔

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

A photo from last year, 21st June the longest day, of the infamous Crib Goch on Snowdon. Missing the mountains at the moment.  If you haven't seen it, this is a great live view of Snowdon from the Plas y Brenin mountain centre

https://www.pyb.co.uk/live-feeds/

soul 2019 06 21 18 50 46 499

Andy. Love your pictures of the mountains and hills.  Especially at the moment with everything that is going on in the crazy world. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. Love your pictures of the mountains and hills.  Especially at the moment with everything that is going on in the crazy world. 

Steve 

Cheers mate. It's at this time of the year that the cuckoo's start to appear and echo all round the valleys. A great sound around the empty hills but only managed to photo a couple. Last year on Mull there must of been a dozen making a right old racket, a fantastic sound even if you don't spot them 👍

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Cheers mate. It's at this time of the year that the cuckoo's start to appear and echo all round the valleys. A great sound around the empty hills but only managed to photo a couple. Last year on Mull there must of been a dozen making a right old racket, a fantastic sound even if you don't spot them 👍

I know that they have become a very rare bird especially in the north west.  I have been lucky enough to have seen them on numerous occasions and I even managed to get a few picture's once. Never heard them in Manchester,  still the odd one out in Cheshire but going to miss them this year again,  only heard one last year and i think that it was on the Wirral . Will post the pictures tomorrow mate. They're stunning birds

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Heres some pics from several years back. Sarahs old VW was used in a few small scenes in the Northern Soul film and we did a drive by in one scene past the graffitti. The two days we were there for filming in Bury were a great experience . I went back round the streets the next day in the car to snap the graffitti as the work men were washing it off, Just managed to capture it all before it was gone forever 

soul 1a (2)

soul 2a

soul 3

soul 3b

soul 4

• Up vote 3
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Heres some pics from several years back. Sarahs old VW was used in a few small scenes in the Northern Soul film and we did a drive by in one scene past the graffitti. The two days we were there for filming in Bury were a great experience . I went back round the streets the next day in the car to snap the graffitti as the work men were washing it off, Just managed to capture it all before it was gone forever 

soul 1a (2)

soul 2a

soul 3

soul 3b

soul 4

Those are brilliant! 

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Veedub said:

soul 1a (2)

soul 2a

soul 3

soul 3b

soul 4

That's special Mike 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Veedub said:

soul 1a (2)

soul 2a

soul 3

soul 3b

soul 4

Quite apt for what's happening at the moment, don't you think👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Just to add..  We were aware of the film being planned, then one day saw an advert on a classic car forum "Wanted 1960s and early 70s cars for upcoming feature film , expenses paid " . well, i knew what the film was straight away and sent an email ! . Several weeks later, they got in touch asking us to be at this place in Bury ( a disused mill/factory piece of land ) . then on the day they contacted me saying they had enough cars, so wouldnt need us !  I replied, saying  I'd bring our car up for free !!  I couldnt miss this !!  They agreed ..

So the next day we drove from Cannock to Bury in our old  relic, our 1969 VW Karmann Ghia , made it there  and  were immediately engulfed in a 1975 timewarp,  old cars everywhere, actors walking round in 70s clothes, it was truly amazing  ! I will never forget it ..

We met Elliot and Josh  ( the two stars ) they were great lads . There was a fantastic catering van , we could eat the best food and drink for free, and we roamed around the costume department looking at all the vintage clothing  !! we were in our element !!   We watched the filming, take after take it was fascinating. The best was when we were given a walky talky and had to drive past the graffitti whilst a camera van passed us,  action ! start driving  .. its in the film near the end whilst Time will pass you by was being played..  

A great two days  😀

That's a story mate. One for the archives

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

The only decent photos I have of the Cuckoo. The first two are from the hills above Capel Curig, Wales 2013 and the third is from the Isle of Mull 2019. A lot easier to hear than to spot and a lot harder to get on a small compact camera at full zoom. One sound I'll miss this while camping and hiking this springtime.

soul DSC06637

soul DSC06642   Copy

soul P1100075

Very nice pictures mate . I was lucky to see two males fighting over a stunning female ( only ever seen one in my life ) but unfortunately no camera 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That looks lovely Louise.  Apart from those scary rabbits,  what and why where they hanging around ? . Up to no good if you ask me . X 

I honestly don't know? They were just there, on a gate.  I so wanted to bring them all home. There was no explanation for it? Then there was a wall with things on it. There was a sign, it said "Free things".  There was a pebble like a mouse with a pipe cleaner tail, a stone painted black with sequins on it, a piece of wood with red pain daubed on it, and some matches, painted pink, and stuck together like a very amateur raft for a ladybird family.  It's been an interesting sort of day. 🤗

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I honestly don't know? They were just there, on a gate.  I so wanted to bring them all home. There was no explanation for it? Then there was a wall with things on it. There was a sign, it said "Free things".  There was a pebble like a mouse with a pipe cleaner tail, a stone painted black with sequins on it, a piece of wood with red pain daubed on it, and some matches, painted pink, and stuck together like a very amateur raft for a ladybird family.  It's been an interesting sort of day. 🤗

If there was a sign that said free things, you could have taken things with no repercussions,  unless it was a trick note written by the rabbits themselves  and they're really werrabbits looking for their next victims,  that's a scary thought.  Werrabbits on the loose in deepest darkest Lancashire . Beware of the twitching noses. 

Social source share