The Greatest Dancer

16 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Glad the thread is still running. Hottest topic on here for a while. Please keep it open as it is a great read with lots of good clips. AND we’re really looking forward to the next show...

Yes, we felt it is going well so will leave it running - Don't forget to vote for our man folks! :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've watched many great dancers down the years and you can usually tell the venue from back in day that influenced their Style. Dancers from Station Rd had a unique style which contained lots of tricks & spins etc timed to the instro breaks in the more uptempo tracks.  Dancers from the earlier Torch  & Wheel etc tended to be much more expressive using hand movements to match the same breaks and changes in the record.

Not sure what this guys style is based on unless it's just his own interpretation based on lots of visits to local Soul. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Glad the thread is still running. Hottest topic on here for a while. Please keep it open as it is a great read with lots of good clips. AND we’re really looking forward to the next show...

Well said Frankie - this thread makes for very interesting reading! Hope he drops out this week though - not happy about it all being on prime-time telly! Channel 4 & to a very small audience in the early hours is one thing, but Strictly Come Dancing & now The Greatest Dancer?? NOOOOOOOO!! 😣😥

• Up vote 2
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Soul16 said:

As cringeworthy as it was last week, now I’ve got used to the idea, part of me is looking forward to it tomorrow! I’m as protective of ‘the scene’ as anyone else on here, but we also have a reputation for being a friendly bunch, so I’m gonna run with that attitude. Northern Soul stopped being a secret society decades ago, but the simple beauty of the music never fades for me.

It could have been worse, at least he didn’t open up by dancing to Frank Wilson and demonstrated to the masses that there are more than two Northern Soul records in existence - the other one being The Snake...

The irony being haven't heard either at a soul night for years. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
9 minutes ago, wiggyflat said:

1339 on here.....the man in the zone

great videos mate, music is fantastic, that lad was properly enjoying himself

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Picture of me and possibly the greatest spinner of them all Vernon taken on New year eve at the Monaco ballroom in Wigan 

soul 20200101_192033

Isn't there some footage of Vernon dancing/spinning at Wigan Ste?..

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Yes Gaz, There,s some footage knocking about mate. Trust you and the Lovely Debs are fine. 

4 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Still the man.....

Up there with the very best and a top man too

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Great footage showing some unbelievable spinning from Vernon, when he had a cigarette in his mouth it used to look like a complete circle of fire. He perfected the art of when he was just about to lose his balance he would go down into the splits.
Did see him come second in a dance competition at Hinckley ( think it was the night Edwin Starr was on) by a guy called Kim, what a dancer he was.

Tomo

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Veedub said:

Just a few seconds in... the Wigan clips from Something Else program.

Rare footage, and 0ne of the few clips from Station Rd other than This England. If you look at the First clip the place looks empty other than the dancers, seem to recall reading it was filmed in a Morning after everyone had gone?. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Zed1 said:

The best dancer I've personally and around good lad Vernon, remember him winning the dance competition at the morecambe pier anniversary. Think I was told he won at station road didn't he ste. Taken it toll on him can't spin anymore due to years of doing it, old age catching us all up. 

Social source share

On 11/01/2020 at 15:21, Monny1916 said:

Thommo from Nottingham,,, wow the guy could do anything,,Stephen 

Wonder if anyone has got any dancing footage from The Palais, who was the black guy they called Mr Electric Man ? I am so old now 14/15 at the time, I can't remember

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

10 hours ago, geoffp said:

Swap my footwork for yours any day. Hope you two are ok. Get up there soon as old age allows.👍

Been a while mate. We're the same as always I still wear the trousers because she still says I can.

10 hours ago, geoffp said:

Swap my footwork for yours any day. Hope you two are ok. Get up there soon as old age allows.👍

Hope you two are good to. 

Hopefully we'll see you soon somewhere. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 minutes ago, Garswood said:

Can somebody tell me the title of track playing in this vid, I know it, just can’t remember...philPhil

Deep Sensation ‎– Somehow, Somewhere (There's A Soul Heaven)

1998 is the original

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!