Feed Your Soul 5th Anniversary - several unissued tracks

Just getting around to listening to 6 hours podcast of Feed Your Soul from 3rd Nov. which Ady Crampton posted on Mixcloud a few weeks ago here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/adriancrampton7/feed-your-soul-5th-anniversary-bash-with-guests-mick-h-jordan-wilson-john-everard-plus-residents/
DJ's: John Manship, Soul Sam, Steve Johnson & guests Mick H, Jordan Wilson & John Everard

Jordan played a couple of unissued tracks:

Nicole Grace - Tomorrow (@ 02:24:53),

Esther Grant (I think ... couldn't quite make out what he announced) - Take My Heart (@ 02:27:13) which is superb.

He also played a Gilly acetate covered up? as Little Miss Dee Dee - You Better Wake Up (@ 02:07:50) which he said was being released this year.  

Mick H played an acetate titled 'The Wind Is My Friend' (no artist named) (@ 02:57:47)

Also both Mick & Sam played tracks announced as by Joseph Webster (Mick @03:14:05 & Sam @04:43:23) both funky tunes - sounds like the same artist - are they cover-ups? on the same 45? .. or has an obscure Joseph Webster 45 surfaced?

... anyone able to shed any light on any of these?

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Hi Karl ... Is Esther Grant the cover-up or uncovered name then?  It's a superb tune. Also is Little Miss Dee Dee being released as that or is it being uncovered?

Esther Grant is the cover up name, sure Ady will uncover in time and hopefully put it out on a 45.  LMDD is coming out on Hayley

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Esther Grant is 5he cover up name, sure Ady will uncover in time and hopefully put it out on a 45.  LMDD is coming out on Hayley

Thanks for info - Jordan announced LMDD was a cover-up name - is it a double bluff or is the artist unknown .. so being released as LMDD?

I presume Ady C is Croasdell and not Ady Crampton - unfortunate coincidence as Ady organises Feed You Soul!

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Thanks for info - Jordan announced LMDD was a cover-up name - is it a double bluff or is the artist unknown .. so being released as LMDD?

I presume Ady C is Croasdell and not Ady Crampton - unfortunate coincidence as Ady organises Feed You Soul!

Yes sorry Ady Croasdell.  The LMDD is ten minutes in on the Hayley video.  Don’t know who the artist is, I’ve heard it in the past though.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Karl is Joseph Webster AKA Joe Webster Shiptown label Soul Duo with Ida Sands, or am I wrong again

I don’t think so personally but all the same it is possible.  The shiptown guy was in the Anglos. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Chalky said:

On Crow?

No it's not this 'well known' one ... which is why I suspect it's a cover up as nothing else is listed for Joseph Webster.  Mick H played a track as Joseph Webster 'dedicated' to Sam and then in Sam's set later he played another different track he announced as Mr. Webster - this makes me think perhaps they have the same 'cover-up' record and played different sides. It sounds like the same artist - 70s funky - both are on the FYS 5th Anni podcast at the times stated above.

Social source share

Correction ... just listened to them both again and Sam's track IS 'My Love So Strong'  ... but Mick's is something else.  I don't know the flip side (which according to the Discogs listing is an instrumental by The Mighty Chevelles) so I doubt it's that - opens with  'You can Tell I have something on my mind, I've been meaning to talk you for a long time' - the hook lines goes something like 'has anyone seen us together'   with another line 'so many things I don't understand, the way you've been acting I think you've got another man' and the hook keeps repeating towards end until an abrupt ending that catches DJ's out 🙂

P.S. The only 'My Love Is Strong' to sell on Discogs was NM in 2015 and sold for £70!!! ... but on further inspection it was a white label 'carver'!!! .. I thought someone got a bargain of the century for a moment!

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Correction ... just listened to them both again and Sam's track IS 'My Love So Strong'  ... but Mick's is something else.  I don't know the flip side (which according to the Discogs listing is an instrumental by The Mighty Chevelles) so I doubt it's that - opens with  'You can Tell I have something on my mind, I've been meaning to talk you for a long time' - the hook lines goes something like 'has anyone seen us together'   with another line 'so many things I don't understand, the way you've been acting I think you've got another man' and the hook keeps repeating towards end until an abrupt ending that catches DJ's out 🙂

P.S. The only 'My Love Is Strong' to sell on Discogs was NM in 2015 and sold for £70!!! ... but on further inspection it was a white label 'carver'!!! .. I thought someone got a bargain of the century for a moment!

And again because Discogs doesn't remove it from the sales history, no one will ever put one up for sale (if they do have one) or someone (hopefully me will get the bargain)....I might just have a word with Head Office (or should I ?)

It will have been cut to stop it being bootlegged....Mick is a good guy can't you ask him ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

And again because Discogs doesn't remove it from the sales history, no one will ever put one up for sale (if they do have one) or someone (hopefully me will get the bargain....I might just have a word with Head Office (or should I ?)

Could create  a new listing I suppose? ... One sold on Rare Northern Soul for £10k https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/my-love-is-so-strong-52480 ... is that the going rate?

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I think i know this one; I| can picture it now,orange label, 2 & half minutes long, released 18 June 1973.....cool!

soul aaa

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Is that an entry for the writers Karl or singers, as there are 2 Bob's on the label (which is why my brain gets confused)

Social source share

Many thanks for all your contributions.  To summarise the initial query:

Nicole Grace - Tomorrow (@ 02:24:53)

NO INFO YET

- Esther Grant (I think ... couldn't quite make out what he announced) - Take My Heart (@ 02:27:13) which is superb.

This is a cover-up originating from Ady Croasdel which may or may not see the light of day eventually on Kent

- He also played a Gilly acetate covered up? as Little Miss Dee Dee - You Better Wake Up (@ 02:07:50) which he said was being released this year.  

Little Miss Dee Dee is a cover up and is being released on Hayley later this year

- Mick H played an acetate titled 'The Wind Is My Friend' (no artist named) (@ 02:57:47)

This is confirmed as a 10" acetate (no artist so far available)

- Also both Mick & Sam played tracks announced as by Joseph Webster (Mick @03:14:05 & Sam @04:43:23) both funky tunes - sounds like the same artist - are they cover-ups? on the same 45? .. or has an obscure Joseph Webster 45 surfaced?

Sam's track was Joseph Webster - My Love So Strong (on Crow)

Mick H's is a cover-up now uncovered as Bobby & Walter - They Don't Want To See Us Together [La Cade #LC100] 1973
... I'm sure Mick is 'delighted' 🙂

Jury still out on who Bobby & Walter are. Writers: B. (Bob) Pittman, W. (Walter) Williams, B. (Bobby) Freeman
Suggestions are:
Bob PIttman & Walter Williams
Walter 'Butterball' Davis
Bobby Freeman & Walter Williams

Social source share

Just checked Discogs and 'RytmMalmo' has created a new listing for Bobby & Walter within the last 24 hours and the submission notes shows:

'New submission. Obscure 45 by Walter Butterball Davis and Bobby Pittman.'

.. of course this might be a 'guess'

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-And-Walter-They-Dont-Want-To-See-Us-Together-Just-Let-Me-Know/release/14650461

Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulstrutter said:

Just checked Discogs and 'RytmMalmo' has created a new listing for Bobby & Walter within the last 24 hours and the submission notes shows:

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-And-Walter-They-Dont-Want-To-See-Us-Together-Just-Let-Me-Know/release/14650461

Obviously an assumption on his part given that Butterball has a release on the same label.  All the evidence though points to a Walter Williams. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Chalky said:

Obviously an assumption on his part given that Butterball has a release on the same label.  All the evidence though points to a Walter Williams. 

Found this really nice article about the label (which started of as hair products company), it may help with theories

https://darkjive.com/2012/02/08/la-cade-the-little-hair-care-company-that-made-some-big-waves/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Chalky said:

I suspect it is ... as the only other release attributed to Bob(by) Pittman (if you click link) is from 1946!!!!  ... but I suspect that this is not the same Bob Pittman. 

https://www.discogs.com/artist/458330-Bobby-Pittman

I'm with you Chalky Bobby Freeman & Walter Williams (or perhaps Walter Butterball Davis)

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I suspect it is ... as the only other release attributed to Bob(by) Pittman (if you click link) is from 1946!!!!  ... but I suspect that this is not the same Bob Pittman. 

https://www.discogs.com/artist/458330-Bobby-Pittman

I'm with you Chalky Bobby Freeman & Walter Williams (or perhaps Walter Butterball Davis)

... and thought I'd have a poke on 45Cat and found another 2 45s by them:

https://www.45cat.com/record/fs8805

Bobby & Walter - One, Two, Three/Do It Like You Feel It [Sanns]

It's definately them as same writers: B. Freeman, B. Pittman on A side One, Two, Three and W. Williams, B. Pittman on B side Do It Like You Feel It

... which in turn links to this release:

https://www.45cat.com/record/nc004308us

Sweet Bobby And Honey Boy - Watch The One Who's Talking/Tell The Truth [Sound O Riffic]  ... both sides written by B. Freeman, W. Williams

no dates on either

None of the 'float my boat' ... sort of funky/blues

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

11 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I'm RytmMalmo on Discogs and created the entry.

That was indeed only guesswork on my part and I shouldn't have written that it in the submission notes, but luckily it's not visible to the casual browser. 

I'm with you and Chalky, seems very probable that it's Bobby Freeman and Walter Williams. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!