Floor filler

Jazz

Probably been done before but here goes your djing and the floor is empty so-what do you put on the decks to get it going these seem to work. For me 

David Coleman drown my heart 

broadways you just don’t no 

Dean parish bricks broken bottles & sticks 

carol Anderson sad girl 

frankie & Johnny I’ll hold you 

nothing to special just seem to work but many others do the same job 

Edited by Jazz
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Monny1916 said:

Sorry quite the opposite they could make me come off the floor ,, TRY Turley, Bad weather inc, Alice Clark, Dynamics or Paul Anka ,,,,Stephen 

We all have different tastes and do  different gigs and yes to the ones you’ve posted 👍 ps I play all the ones above 

Edited by Jazz
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Len said:

You can get used to empty dance floors - Just blame the promoter for booking you, and mutter to yourself......"Philistines the lot of em"..... But in the interests of 'the bigger picture', as a general tune that should work anywhere, I'd probably use 'Jo Ann Garrett - Whole New Plan'. A class tune that most would know and like at any venue.

If that didn't work then they don't deserve to hear anymore :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

That’s strange bought a copy last month 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

any of these

Naughty Boy - Jackie Day

I'm your fool   - Vee Vee  

I Will Sacrifice - Irma Routen       

Twinkle Little Star - The Traditions

I Really Love You - The Tomangoes

I Gotta Be Free  - Joe Hicks  

Mojo Man - Nelson Sanders

'I'm Gone' - Eddie Parker              

Love That Never Grows Old - Jackey Beavers  

Going Down The Road - Sonatas

I Can't Deny That I Love You - The Capitals

Try My Love - The Sequins

Don't Let Him Hurt You  - Les Chansonettes

Sleepless Night - Paris   

I Cant Hide It - Appreciations      

Lover - The Delites          

Packing Up - Damon Fox

We Can Make It - Mello Souls

What' Cha Gonna Do   -  The Combinations

Philly Dog Around The World - Jimmy Raye          

I Got The Power -  JoAnn Courcy  

I`m gonna love you a long long time - Patti & the Emblems           

Dont Bring Me Down - Rita Dacosta

that's no way to treat a girl - Marie Knight            

I Don't Know About You - The Constellations                                                                                                       

I need Your Love - Clydene Jackson

A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking - Gloria Scott   

a whole new plan - jo ann garrett             

I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues - The Friendly People  

Envy - Orlons                                                                                                                     

When I'm Gone - Brenda Holloway

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

any of these

Naughty Boy - Jackie Day

I'm your fool   - Vee Vee  

I Will Sacrifice - Irma Routen       

Twinkle Little Star - The Traditions

I Really Love You - The Tomangoes

I Gotta Be Free  - Joe Hicks  

Mojo Man - Nelson Sanders

'I'm Gone' - Eddie Parker              

Love That Never Grows Old - Jackey Beavers  

Going Down The Road - Sonatas

I Can't Deny That I Love You - The Capitals

Try My Love - The Sequins

Don't Let Him Hurt You  - Les Chansonettes

Sleepless Night - Paris   

I Cant Hide It - Appreciations      

Lover - The Delites          

Packing Up - Damon Fox

We Can Make It - Mello Souls

What' Cha Gonna Do   -  The Combinations

Philly Dog Around The World - Jimmy Raye          

I Got The Power -  JoAnn Courcy  

I`m gonna love you a long long time - Patti & the Emblems           

Dont Bring Me Down - Rita Dacosta

that's no way to treat a girl - Marie Knight            

I Don't Know About You - The Constellations                                                                                                       

I need Your Love - Clydene Jackson

A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking - Gloria Scott   

a whole new plan - jo ann garrett             

I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues - The Friendly People  

Envy - Orlons                                                                                                                     

When I'm Gone - Brenda Holloway

Some good tunes here. The answer is ultra-catchy up-tempo but not too fast. Would need to be well known as most dancers back off when confronted with  ground-breaking tunes. Of the above, Delites or Marie Knight would do the trick. Constellations for sure. Joe Hicks ‘Don’t It Make You Feel Funky’ might be better than his rare track perhaps?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Most things back in the day, before my knees went!!  Absolutely guaranteed 

Jazz/Funk - Big Blow - Manu Dibango

Northern - Lend A Hand - Bobby Hutton

Modern - Whole Lotta Me In You - Brotherly Love

Masterpiece - Why Cant We Be Lovers - Holland & Dozier

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I haven't DJ'd since '75, and we were all a bit younger and more athletic back then. My go-to tune for a thinning floor was always Eddie parker "Love You Baby". It never failed. 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Len said:

You can get used to empty dance floors - Just blame the promoter for booking you, and mutter to yourself......"Philistines the lot of em"..... But in the interests of 'the bigger picture', as a general tune that should work anywhere, I'd probably use 'Jo Ann Garrett - Whole New Plan'. A class tune that most would know and like at any venue.

If that didn't work then they don't deserve to hear anymore :wink:

Wow!  this scene never fails to surprise. I've not heard this before, what a track.

Been listening to and collecting rare soul since 1968, collected over 5,000 records and have digitised over 16,000 tracks and this has totally passed me by!!  What a plonker. But it just goes to show what a broad scene this is and not to assume everyone knows what you do.

I once dj'd to a reasonably knowledgable northern crowd where hardly anyone had heard Tony Middletons Paris Blues before, they thought I was genius til they spotted the Grapevine single I was playing it off. No OVO in those days.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, davebanks said:

Wow!  this scene never fails to surprise. I've not heard this before, what a track.

Been listening to and collecting rare soul since 1968, collected over 5,000 records and have digitised over 16,000 tracks and this has totally passed me by!!  What a plonker. But it just goes to show what a broad scene this is and not to assume everyone knows what you do.

I once dj'd to a reasonably knowledgable northern crowd where hardly anyone had heard Tony Middletons Paris Blues before, they thought I was genius til they spotted the Grapevine single I was playing it off. No OVO in those days.

Dave Banks

Great stuff - This record is a 'double whammy'. The other side is also a beautiful tune.

'Jo Ann Garrett - Stay By My Side'

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
8 hours ago, Len said:

Great stuff - This record is a 'double whammy'. The other side is also a beautiful tune.

'Jo Ann Garrett - Stay By My Side'

cracking tune, never heard that before and I own the record doh - must play the flip sides!

Social source share

8 hours ago, davebanks said:

Dave Banks

It was played just about everywhere in the 80' s

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Ljblanken said:

Surprisingly, this is my all time sure fire record to get a crowd from standing and staring to moving and grooving:

Great that records get's em going.......It's rubbish when it's the other way around - From them moving and grooving to standing and staring :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Don Gardner   My baby likes to boogaloo. 

Superlatives. I still love you. 

Marvin Gay.  Love starved heart of mine. 

Joey Hetherton When you call me baby. 

Lee Roye. Tears

Tina Turner Dust my broom. 

Roy Hamilton. She make me wanna dance. 

Hugh. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Bruv said:

Archie Bell & The Drells - Here I Go Again    Always works for me...

Never fails to take me back to the summer of '71, and The Orbit club in Rhyl. Top tune. 

Social source share

Just now, Joey said:

Never fails to take me back to the summer of '71, and The Orbit club in Rhyl. Top tune. 

The orbit.  Bloody hell,  that's a blast  from the past.  Down those steps. Used to go to Rhyl on the scooters about 75 /76 riding out from Widnes.  Recently been knocked down for new sea front apartments .

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

The orbit.  Bloody hell,  that's a blast  from the past.  Down those steps. Used to go to Rhyl on the scooters about 75 /76 riding out from Widnes.  Recently been knocked down for new sea front apartments .

Great little place, basement of The Palace Hotel. Upstairs in the bar was a pretty decent selection of northern tunes on the juke box. Went whenever I was there on holiday, plus the odd weekend here and there if I could blag a lift in the back of a scooter. Five massive tunes there in the summer of '71 were Archie Bell, Joy Lovejoy ( obviously! ), Love, Love, Love, I got the fever,  and Love on a mountain top. Very happy memories indeed. 

Social source share

Not played much on the northern scene in 72, (that I can remember anyway) but very much staple fare at places such as the Cats Whiskers in Oldham, and many other "ballroom" type places around the north. Even remember it being played to death in the main downstairs room at the Mecca that summer. One that I enjoy more now than almost 48 years ago.

Social source share

Never had a problem with filling a dance floor, only struggled to revive people if the previous spots have been bad, Every venue is different, atmosphere different , lighting different, soulies different,One plug doesn’t fit every socket, You should have in your play box a different plug for different sockets, and of course hope that the area has good chemists

KR

ML

• Up vote 2
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Ljblanken said:

I have a different challenge (here in USA). I have young people that have never heard the term "northern soul", but have open minds and wanna dance. I need records with moderate tempo and have a heavy bass sound that they can start moving to. 

Surprisingly, this is my all time sure fire record to get a crowd from standing and staring to moving and grooving:

This has 'Lonely In A Crowd' on the flip which is a bit more uptempo than this but no 'I Still Love You (although I think those Superlatives are a different group)!!!- I've 3 copies of this (if anyone wants/needs one) - must have been a 'soul packer' back in the day!  It's a £20-£25 record these days (Discogs) It came out first on Dynamics in 67 so the Westbound from 1968 must be either a re-issue or a national issue?

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I think if you're struggling to think of what to put on the fill the floor then you can't call yourself a DJ :-)!!!!!
Just off the top of my head ....
Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You
Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved
Sypder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore
Jackie Wilson - I'm The One To Do It (or ANY Jackie Wilson from 1966 - 1975 will do it!!! e.g. Whispers, Soul Galore, Since You Showed Me, Who Who Song, Don't Want To Lose You, Just Be Sincere etc. etc.
Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You
Leon Haywood - Consider The Source (Capitol version)
The obvious 'played out classics Top 500' Cause You're Mine, Quick Change Artist, I Still Love You, Stick By Me Baby, Cashing In, Lend A Hand, Seven Day Lover, It Really Hurts Me Girl, I'm So Happy,  etc., etc. to 'revive' the dancefloor and then clear it with your latest 'rarity' lol!

Social source share

Depends what sort of do you're DJing at really , luckily I only do mixed sort of Cleethorpes do's, so when I put a tumbleweed record on you can

usually get 'em back with stuff like,

Cashing In

So Many Sides of You

I'm Just a Kiss Away

Home Is where the heart is

House for sale 

Are you ready for this

Love Don't come

What does it Take etc. etc.

Talkin' 'bout poor folks

Cut your motor off etc.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Not had a mention yet but this Classic Mid Tempo Dancer from Mr Nolan Porter is always worth a try if your flogging a dead horse getting People up Dancing, especially these days when so many have their heads in their bloody phones!  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 11/01/2020 at 15:26, Soulstrutter said:

then clear it with your latest 'rarity' lol!

attended an event where a DJ introduced his obscure latest find, it cleared the floor and he swore at attendees for not dancing, we left soon after, what a knob

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

an ovo related post dropped

ovo discussions brings nothing but hassle to the discussions

if you really do feel a need to comment on such things then start a new topic and drop the taking the piss

this topic is about 'floor fillers'

lets stick to that....

added

moderation comment dropped as per... 

Moderation Comments

Please do not discuss moderation on the topic as it can disrupt the discussion flow. Use the Site Stuff (Support) forum for any moderation discussion.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/guidelines/

Edited by Source Team
comment added
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!