Blackpoolsoul profile photo

Andrea Henry - credits help please ?

Posted

I  do apologise if this has been covered before and perhaps someone can direct me if it has.

Can someone help me identify the correct writing credits on this please ?

45 cat states that the "Wright" credit is Andrea herself, just to confuse matters (well at my age that's not surprising anyway)

soul Andrea A Issue

soul Andrea B issue

soul Andrea A Demo

soul Andrea B demo

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've read that Andrea Henry = Ja Neen Henry.  I'm not sure about 

Andrea Henry = Tom Wright.

soul Ja Neen

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I've read that Andrea Henry = Ja Neen Henry.  I'm not sure about 

Andrea Henry = Tom Wright.

soul Ja Neen

Thanks, brilliant and the other credits please on "The Grass Is Greener" is it Fred Briggs and Is Enoch actually Mike Gregory both Detroit ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Andrea was I deed ja Neen 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Andrea/Ja Neen was also a producer, she produced Diane Lewis on Love Records. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Andrea/Ja Neen was also a producer, she produced Diane Lewis on Love Records. 

Thanks that answered the Fred Briggs connection

Just the Enoch Gregory bit left please

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks that answered the Fred Briggs connection

Just the Enoch Gregory bit left please

As well as a songwriter he was a New York Dj by the name Dixie Drifter

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
35 minutes ago, Chalky said:

As well as a songwriter he was a New York Dj by the name Dixie Drifter

Thanks Karl

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I cannot see anything anywhere on the net to suggest where the contributor on 45cat got his or her info to suggest Tom Wright is Andrea Henry? 

Andrea Henry does pop up and seemed pretty active in Detroit during the 60s despite her recording career being very limited.

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 this version credits may add to the mix

 

janice.jpg

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Mike said:

 this version credits may add to the mix

 

janice.jpg

which leads to this info

Two magnificent examples of Herman's writings with Edotha Croom in Detroit.

 

Janice's convincing voice is so much more expressive than the Andrea's. Taking on a charm of its own, you cannot stop the song from creeping under your skin. Those strolling lyrics "Like A Baby I'm Crying, I Need Your Satisfying". You hear Janice going the extra mile, injecting sultry desire into every word, you can almost touch her needing.. So much more expressive, slightly slower and giving you a whole new perspective on this great song. Classy tune, a great under-estimated original take, you cannot help comparing with the MGM Henry reworking. Slowly but surely Janice's original nudges up along side of the MGM classic.

via the fine rare soul blog 

LOOKIN' FOR SOMETHIN' RARE
soulrarity.exblog.jp

above info from this page...

https://soulrarity.exblog.jp/i4/

 

which appears to be lifted from this John Manship sales blurb here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-fTXvIN00

 

Edited by Mike
jm info

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chalky said:

I cannot see anything anywhere on the net to suggest where the contributor on 45cat got his or her info to suggest Tom Wright is Andrea Henry? 

Andrea Henry does pop up and seemed pretty active in Detroit during the 60s despite her recording career being very limited.

http://www.45cat.com/record/k13893

Strange how there is no trail

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike said:

which leads to this info

Two magnificent examples of Herman's writings with Edotha Croom in Detroit.

 

Janice's convincing voice is so much more expressive than the Andrea's. Taking on a charm of its own, you cannot stop the song from creeping under your skin. Those strolling lyrics "Like A Baby I'm Crying, I Need Your Satisfying". You hear Janice going the extra mile, injecting sultry desire into every word, you can almost touch her needing.. So much more expressive, slightly slower and giving you a whole new perspective on this great song. Classy tune, a great under-estimated original take, you cannot help comparing with the MGM Henry reworking. Slowly but surely Janice's original nudges up along side of the MGM classic.

via the fine rare soul blog 

LOOKIN' FOR SOMETHIN' RARE
soulrarity.exblog.jp

above info from this page...

https://soulrarity.exblog.jp/i4/

 

which appears to be lifted from this John Manship sales blurb here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-fTXvIN00

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike said:

which leads to this info

Two magnificent examples of Herman's writings with Edotha Croom in Detroit.

 

Janice's convincing voice is so much more expressive than the Andrea's. Taking on a charm of its own, you cannot stop the song from creeping under your skin. Those strolling lyrics "Like A Baby I'm Crying, I Need Your Satisfying". You hear Janice going the extra mile, injecting sultry desire into every word, you can almost touch her needing.. So much more expressive, slightly slower and giving you a whole new perspective on this great song. Classy tune, a great under-estimated original take, you cannot help comparing with the MGM Henry reworking. Slowly but surely Janice's original nudges up along side of the MGM classic.

via the fine rare soul blog 

LOOKIN' FOR SOMETHIN' RARE
soulrarity.exblog.jp

above info from this page...

https://soulrarity.exblog.jp/i4/

 

which appears to be lifted from this John Manship sales blurb here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-fTXvIN00

 

Edotha Croom of "Originals" writing fame and also Diane Lewis on Wand, thanks Mike it gets more and more interesting.

Little People Music is on both

Joking aside it's getting like the thread about "who played what first and when" with all these credits for the same record, or maybe Adele can credit me😁 on some of her tunes

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

http://www.45cat.com/record/k13893

Strange how there is no trail

yes I have read that and I did say 45cat contributor and that is the only quote to suggest Tom Wright is Andrea Henry that I can find.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Could Janice actually be janeen Andrea Henry?? 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Don't know where JM gets the idea that Janice is the original as it was released at least eighteen months after the Andrea Henry escaped on MGM. It's also inferior in every single respect. The two vocalists aren't the same person, at least to my ears. Andrea Henry was an adequate singer, "Janice" pretty awful.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Apparently there is a magazine article from when she got her first record contract, she also won some sort of competition apparently.  Something like Jet magazine if you can find it.  Des Parker has or had a copy.  I also read she was married to Herman Griffin but I can't find anything to back it up. @Soul Inc

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Garethx said:

Don't know where JM gets the idea that Janice is the original as it was released at least eighteen months after the Andrea Henry escaped on MGM. 

    Actually, it was even longer than 18 months- Andrea Henry was release January/ February 1968. Janice came out June/ July 1970. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Apparently there is a magazine article from when she got her first record contract, she also won some sort of competition apparently.  Something like Jet magazine if you can find it.  Des Parker has or had a copy.  I also read she was married to Herman Griffin but I can't find anything to back it up. @Soul Inc

At the time of these recordings Herman was married to Gi Gi, of the Charmaines .... Gi Gi told me she cut the demo of 'INYLAB' and at one time had an acetate of her demo but she couldn't find it when I was at her house. She said she was upset, mostly with Dale Warren, that Andrea got to record & release it as she really loved the song.

I have a very vague memory that Bobby, Herman's brother, said Janice was actually Gerri Jackson ... Hermans sister-in-law, Gi Gi's sister ... I picked a copy up at Bobby's house which is why it came up in conversation .... Gerri cut 'Right Direction', with Herman, released on the flip of the Stone Blue release of 'Who's Kissing You Tonight' which they cut at Don Walden's studio in Cincinatti .... but, pinch of salt, it was along time ago and I might not be right about the Janice / Gerri statement but it is stuck in my memory and I can't think why it would be there for any other reason

Andy

Andy

Edited by Andy Rix
Error
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

At the time of these recordings Herman was married to Gi Gi, of the Charmaines .... Gi Gi told me she cut the demo of 'INYLAB' and at one time had an acetate of her demo but she couldn't find it when I was at her house. She said she was upset, mostly with Dale Warren, that Andrea got to record & release it as she really loved the song.

I have a very vague memory that Bobby, Herman's brother, said Janice was actually Gerri Jackson ... Hermans sister-in-law, Gi Gi's sister ... I picked a copy up at Bobby's house which is why it came up in conversation .... Gerri cut 'Right Direction', with Herman, released on the flip of the Stone Blue release of 'Who's Kissing You Tonight' which they cut at Don Walden's studio in Cincinatti .... but, pinch of salt, it was along time ago and I might not be right about the Janice / Gerri statement but it is stuck in my memory and I can't think why it would be there for any other reason

Andy

Andy

https://www.modculture.co.uk/cleethorpes-liv/

http://doo-wop.blogg.org/the-charmaines-a116516360

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

 

 

a more detailed on site take from @Ady Croasdell...

'the third mystery track of the triumvirate is Gigi’s original version of the Andrea Henry and Janice Northern Soul classic ‘I Need You Like A Baby’. It’s a song Dale Warren wrote for the Charmaines that got as far as the demo stage but was then used on Andrea Henry. Sadly the demo version has not been heard since it was cut, but Gigi remembers Andrea copied her performance completely. '

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Like Andy, a year or so later I also went to see Gi Gi with a couple of mates. They forewarned me not to mention Andrea Henry. My mates were upstairs with     Gi Gis / Hermans son looking at the recording studio installed in his bedroom. I was drinking coffee with Gi Gi when she said " Do you know Andrea Henry"     I said I know of 'need you like a baby' (didn't dare tell her I was the proud owner of a beautiful demo) Gi Gi said " that lady couldn't string three words together" and went on to say she had the original cut she had made. We searched her double garage in vain. 

Gi Gi went on to say she had seen Andrea a few years back on TV as she was involved with a dodgy police officer and they had been arrested.  

Mick

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thanks vm for bringing this subject up Alan and all the replies. It’s finally persuaded me that the so called UK publishers acetate I bought (from a very reputable dealer) is dodgy and must have been a walk in commission job. I have asked other reputable dealers and all were interested, as it probably is a one off, but no different than an Emidisc of the time. 

soul 37C9B098 59EB 432C B898 ED7940445115

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Rictic66 said:

Thanks vm for bringing this subject up Alan and all the replies. It’s finally persuaded me that the so called UK publishers acetate I bought (from a very reputable dealer) is dodgy and must have been a walk in commission job. I have asked other reputable dealers and all were interested, as it probably is a one off, but no different than an Emidisc of the time. 

soul 37C9B098 59EB 432C B898 ED7940445115

The Sex Pistols God Save The Queen they did sold for megabucks

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Henry Reginald Hines
    All About the SOUL by Roburt on Sat 28 Mar 2020
    • 4 / 103
    • Roburt on 28 Mar 2020
  2. Lee Williams Henry Richardson Great Batch +Pics +_sound
    Record Sales by Baz Atkinson on Mon 20 Jan 2020
    • 2 / 513
    • Baz Atkinson on 21 Jan 2020
  3. HENRY STROGIN (Old Folks Boogie) BALL Records
    Record Wants by Joesoul1958 on Thu 12 Sep 2019
    • 2 / 215
    • Joesoul1958 on 16 Jan 2020
  4. Andrea Henry I need you like baby issue
    Record Wants by Adydj on Mon 09 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 182
    • adydj on 09 Dec 2019

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.