70s record dealers

Bit of a long shot but here goes. Probably around the same time I first got lists from Soul Bowl 76/77. I wrote to a guy in Leytonstone whose address came from a mate at Wigan. The guy was John Downing and he wrote back saying he had a few from the wants list I sent him. He actually sent me the records before sending him a cheque! Does anybody know or remember him ?

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Polyvelts
On 11/01/2020 at 19:27, washlively said:

Bit of a long shot but here goes. Probably around the same time I first got lists from Soul Bowl 76/77. I wrote to a guy in Leytonstone whose address came from a mate at Wigan. The guy was John Downing and he wrote back saying he had a few from the wants list I sent him. He actually sent me the records before sending him a cheque! Does anybody know or remember him ?

I went to what seemed like a closing down sale of a record shop in Leytonstone round about 1980-81 ?? Lots of very cheap 45s, 20p each loads of 70s soul whites demos,  remember picking up Chaumonts 'When you love somebody', Jackie Wilson 'its all over', Ethics 'look at me now', Singing Sam 'Move it Baby' etc all decent stuff, wish I;d more cash at the time haha !!!

Social source share

On 14/01/2020 at 15:15, Polyvelts said:

I went to what seemed like a closing down sale of a record shop in Leytonstone round about 1980-81 ?? Lots of very cheap 45s, 20p each loads of 70s soul whites demos,  remember picking up Chaumonts 'When you love somebody', Jackie Wilson 'its all over', Ethics 'look at me now', Singing Sam 'Move it Baby' etc all decent stuff, wish I;d more cash at the time haha !!!

I guess it could have been that guy. What was strange he never sent me stock lists I just sent him a wants list and he got me over a a dozen or so over a few years. All originals Suprise Party Vibrations, Hey sah lo nay, James Carr I want to know are the ones I recall. I think he got me a Loma and Okeh 45 too but can't remember what it or the rest were. Ive still got the James Carr. Thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!