Soulstrutter profile photo

Guilty Pleasures

Posted (edited)

Having heard HM & Bluenotes - The Love I Lost played out (and I mean played out :-)) a while back got me thinking that we need to attract youngsters onto the scene to keep it alive and whilst these tracks are well known to (let us say) those of a certain age they are not well know to say 40 somethings and certainly not to those any younger, therefore what about starting a list of records that had they NOT been hits (i.e. made the charts) and were less well known would be respected/monsters now and are not well known to the younger crowd. 

NOTE not obvious no 1s or disco records that even your granny would know! .. soul records getting to lower reaches on charts or bubbling under or didn't even chart but are just too well known to have got plays.

I'll kick it of with a few to get the ball rolling and have a think about some more

HM & The Bluenote - Where Are Are All My Friends

Jimmy Ruffin - Tell Me What You Want

William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got

New York City - I'm Doing Fine Now

Tymes - You Little Trustmaker / Someway, Somehow I'm Keepin' You / God's Gonna Punish You / Only Your Love (I Like the Tymes 70s stuff 🙂

O'Jays - Backstabbers / 992 Arguments / Love Train / I Love Music

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

This will be - Natalie Cole 

Stoned out of my mind - Chi-lites

 

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Step by Step - Joe Simon

I can understand it - Bobby Womack

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

anything not in the NS Top 500?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

Step by Step - Joe Simon

I can understand it - Bobby Womack

 

 

Nice one I was going to put Joe Simon up too - has it ever been covered by anyone?

..  a few more to oil the wheels ...

Gloria Gaynor - We Just Can't Make It (flip to Never Can Say Goodbye)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9b-ePKcYA

 

Bobby Womack / Vicki Sue Robinson - Daylight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBaDZS0Wcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJuWIHln2II

 

Vicki Sue Robinson - Never Gonna Let You Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Af7RLJdW4

 

Whispers - Mother For My Children / Once More With Feeling / One For The Money / Make It With You / My Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxLMUpXZbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUdgVRX6B0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFL9yh-vAR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvjvGq6uPW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpM1PLhj8SY

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Luther Vandross, never too much

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Just veering off the soul topic for a moment and list a few pop oriented ones: i.e. one's you'd dance to at a wedding in absence of any 'real' soul!!!!

Swing Out Sister - Am I The Same Girl  / You On My Mind / Twilight World / Breakout ..... but then I do have a soft spot as Corrine Drewery was one year below me at my school!!!

Lisa Stansfield - All Around The World (I'm sure there are others)

Blow Monkeys - Digging Your Scene (also done more recently by Rahsaan Patterson)

Style Council - Shout It To The Top / Speak Like A Child / Walls Come Tumbling Down / Solid Bond In Your Heart

Jam - A Town Called Malice (got the right beat anyway!)

Paul Weller - If I Could Only Be Sure (cover of Nolan Porter)

Michael Jackson - Love Never Felt So Good

Maisonettes - Heartache Avenue

ABC - When Smokey Sings

Amy Winehouse Feat Mick Ronson - Valerie

Duffy - Mercy (but NOT her 'jazzy' version of Tainted Love!!! ... unless you've had a skinful 🙂 )

Pharrell Williams - Happy

Culture Club - Church Of The Poison Mind / Time / It's A Miracle

Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You 

Wah! - The Story Of The Blues

Tom Jones - I'll Never let You Go / If He Should Ever leave You

... and the 'guiltiest' one of all ... Wet, Wet, Wet - Wishing I Was Lucky .. I just think Marti Pellow's got a great voice.

 

and finally some Motownesque ones:  (all came out around the same time in 1982 ( I used to mix them together for the handbag brigade 🙂 )

Stevie Wonder - Part Time Lover

Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Hall & Oates - Maneater

Elton John - I'm Still Standing

Human League - Mirror Man

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

And add to that M People, How Can I Love You More.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

not sure this is even a guilty pleasure but here goes, me and my kids love this peformance

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

not sure this is even a guilty pleasure but here goes, me and my kids love this peformance

 

Definitely no reason to feel guilty.  Top quality.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

A few of the top of me head;

Swing Out Sister - Not Gonna Change

Teddy P - I Don’t Love You Anymore 

Lisa Stansfield - 831

Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine

Kenny Thomas - Baby It’s You

The O’Jays - To Prove I Love You

Atlantic Starr - Circles

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Now in my head and probably won’t go all day 🤣

The Supremes - Up The Ladder To The Roof

The Supremes - Stoned Love

Four Tops - Wake Me Shake Me

Martha Reeves - I Gotta Let You Go

Jr Walker - Tune Up

Mary Wells - Shop Around

Damn that Motown beat 😁

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I don't get this thread at all. It ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Daved said:

I don't get this thread at all. It ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

I think the heading is what may confuse.  It you go with "what tracks will be very well known to the majority of members, but might not be to the younger generation".  Having said that I have often been astounded over the years, as someone who has always bought new as well as rarer sounds, tunes that hardcore Northern collectors don't know.

It got slightly confused when non soul sounds were added to the thread.

The one thing I can say on here, is that one man's sublime is another's ridiculous!!!

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm not sure I'd agree with 'ridiculous' ... lets' face it there has been absolute garbage played parading as NS ... blatant white pop records ... need I list them? Just because it made the pop charts doesn't make something a bad record.  I listed some 'pop' records as a bit of fun suggesting that in the absence of any real soul music being played at a wedding do these may get us on the floor. To me they have a soulful feel to them. ... I bet if some of them hadn't been hits they may well have got a spin if they were 'rare'. In fact Ian Levine has spun Style Council - Shout It To The Top on his podcasts.

Paul Weller, Corine Drewery, Lisa Stansfield & Edwin Collins all grew up with and have been influenced by Northern/ Soul music.

The  point of the thread is to tease out some hidden gems that have been ignored as 'too commercial' to the 70s generation but which might be unknown to a younger generation.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Richard said:

A few of the top of me head;

Swing Out Sister - Not Gonna Change

Teddy P - I Don’t Love You Anymore 

Lisa Stansfield - 831

Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine

Kenny Thomas - Baby It’s You

The O’Jays - To Prove I Love You

Atlantic Starr - Circles

 

Kenny Thomas has done quite a few decent Modern tracks: Outstanding (Gap Band), Thinking about Your Love, Tripping On Your Love (Staples / Arthur Miles), Destiny, Crazy World off the top of my head .. I bet there's more if you dig deeper.  Also add Atlantic Starr - Silver Shadow

 

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The moments & whatnauts 'Girls' now the Gloria gaynor  'we just can't make it' has been played on the scene  mid 80's covered as Eula Cooper  then more recently covered as Carol Woods by Rob Thomas 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

The moments & whatnauts 'Girls' now the Gloria gaynor  'we just can't make it' has been played on the scene  mid 80's covered as Eula Cooper  then more recently covered as Carol Woods by Rob Thomas 

Not surprised Gloria Gaynor's been played (or covered up :-))  ... it's a good record.  She has a few more if you wade through the disco stuff (below). There are a few good Moments/Whatnauts and Rimshots tracks around from mid 70s - some played ... and a few got in Charts.

Gloria Gaynor: She'll Be Sorry (1965), Tell Me How, This Love Affair, Casanova Brown, Let's Mend What's Broken, Most Of All, 

Moments: I Got The Need, Nine Times, My Thing, Rain In My Backyard, Jack In The Box, Dolly My Love (the last 2 a bit too poppy for my taste). Hurts On Me, Baby, Sweet Sweet Lady, Where Can I Find Her, Got To Get To Know You, 2 from Sharp LP: I'll Be Around (uptempo version of Spinners), Just Having Your Love.  Not sure if these are the same group but .. Baby I Want You [Hog]. and finally a prev unreleased track Sleep Won't Come (came out in 2008 on  their Anthology and on 45 in 2015 on Expansion)

Rimshots Do What You Feel (played on release as was Superdisco), Dance Girl (which 'borrows' heavily from Fatback Band Wicky Wacky) both Rimshots tracks a ripe for more funky edged scene now.

Whatnauts - Soul Walking (a bit disco!), Help Is On The Way (80s), Let Me Be That Special One (stepper), Give Him Up Girl, I'm So Glad I Found You (with Linda Jones)

Perhaps this may trigger someone highlighting other, lesser know or b sides that are worth a spin?

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Kenny Thomas has done quite a few decent Modern tracks: Outstanding (Gap Band), Thinking about Your Love, Tripping On Your Love (Staples / Arthur Miles), Destiny, Crazy World off the top of my head .. I bet there's more if you dig deeper.  Also add Atlantic Starr - Silver Shadow

 

Him by Kenny Thomas is an outstanding track imho 👍

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 17/01/2020 at 21:47, Soulman58 said:

Definitely no reason to feel guilty.  Top quality.

 

On 17/01/2020 at 21:37, Shufflin said:

not sure this is even a guilty pleasure but here goes, me and my kids love this peformance

 

WOW that's about 1,000,000 times better than the record which I find very meh, this is awesome!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

had me bins on tonight with the albums out       still love this one

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Not surprised Gloria Gaynor's been played (or covered up :-))  ... it's a good record.  She has a few more if you wade through the disco stuff (below). There are a few good Moments/Whatnauts and Rimshots tracks around from mid 70s - some played ... and a few got in Charts.

Gloria Gaynor: She'll Be Sorry (1965), Tell Me How, This Love Affair, Casanova Brown, Let's Mend What's Broken, Most Of All, 

Moments: I Got The Need, Nine Times, My Thing, Rain In My Backyard, Jack In The Box, Dolly My Love (the last 2 a bit too poppy for my taste). Hurts On Me, Baby, Sweet Sweet Lady, Where Can I Find Her, Got To Get To Know You, 2 from Sharp LP: I'll Be Around (uptempo version of Spinners), Just Having Your Love.  Not sure if these are the same group but .. Baby I Want You [Hog]. and finally a prev unreleased track Sleep Won't Come (came out in 2008 on  their Anthology and on 45 in 2015 on Expansion)

Rimshots Do What You Feel (played on release as was Superdisco), Dance Girl (which 'borrows' heavily from Fatback Band Wicky Wacky) both Rimshots tracks a ripe for more funky edged scene now.

Whatnauts - Soul Walking (a bit disco!), Help Is On The Way (80s), Let Me Be That Special One (stepper), Give Him Up Girl, I'm So Glad I Found You (with Linda Jones)

Perhaps this may trigger someone highlighting other, lesser know or b sides that are worth a spin?

Why would anyone cover up G. Gaynor ' We just can't make it ' when there are countless copies at car boots, record fairs, record shops, etc  -  always thought covering up discs was to prolong their life as a current spin and to hide the true identity of the sound to keep it as an exclusive, obviously not the case with a 50p boot record !!??

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Hill868 said:

Why would anyone cover up G. Gaynor ' We just can't make it ' when there are countless copies at car boots, record fairs, record shops, etc  -  always thought covering up discs was to prolong their life as a current spin and to hide the true identity of the sound to keep it as an exclusive, obviously not the case with a 50p boot record !!??

.... probably because they didn't want people to know they were playing a b side to a pop hit? credibility?... that, as you say, can be picked up for pennies. If it was a separate release and didn't sell then it would be a fantastic 'discovery' but because it's easily available then it's disregarded. Just another idiosyncrasity ...  of our scene 🙂 ... it's one of those ... who's that moments ... with a shake of the head when it is discovered who/what it is as it's not obscure enough.   I'm not knocking the record as I personally like it and believe if it's good enough then it should be played regardless.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Great record

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Ah yes Casanova Brown --Gloria Gaynor.....busy little tune

uplifting       shake your booty / I'm your boogie man --kc / sunshine band

                    do what you gotta do / saturday night--t connection

                    one love-- celi bee / buzzy bunch 

                    bus stop / yum yum--fatback band

                    you and I / come into my life--rick james

                    this kind of love-galaxy / dee galdes

                    you dazzle me/ slipped disco--dazzle

… All still sound good turned up loud!

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Mcqueen2649 said:

Ah yes Casanova Brown --Gloria Gaynor.....busy little tune

uplifting       shake your booty / I'm your boogie man --kc / sunshine band

                    do what you gotta do / saturday night--t connection

                    one love-- celi bee / buzzy bunch 

                    bus stop / yum yum--fatback band

                    you and I / come into my life--rick james

                    this kind of love-galaxy / dee galdes

                    you dazzle me/ slipped disco--dazzle

… All still sound good turned up loud!

 

Add ... Rick James - Glow

and ... the bass line from (Are You Ready) Do The Bus Stop ... if you weren't already aware was used on Chaka Khan's - Like Sugar

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Guilty 😀

 

soul bus

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 20/01/2020 at 04:58, Hill868 said:

Why would anyone cover up G. Gaynor ' We just can't make it ' when there are countless copies at car boots, record fairs, record shops, etc  -  always thought covering up discs was to prolong their life as a current spin and to hide the true identity of the sound to keep it as an exclusive, obviously not the case with a 50p boot record !!??

This was originally played in the Stafford era at the same time as Ruby winters wheel biggie  ' I want action " b side better  and little Anthony it's not the same which was covered up as little Anthony. That's when. Dj's used their imaginations and didn't play the same old.  As for guilty pleasures mine are 2hours on a Sunday playing the likes of 

 

The cadillacs. Speedo & zoom zoom zoom.

The penguins  earth angel

The elderados  my front door & I be forever loving you 

Etc can't beat some classic doo wop 😁😁

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Scootboy said:

Guilty 😀

 

soul bus

Nowt to be guilty about from this corner ... In these 'enlightened times'  I'd love to see a room full of soulies 'shufflin' to this!!!!  A great dance record and far superior to a lot of shite that IS played.  I can here the excuses now it's too well known, it got in the charts (45 years ago!!!), it's a funk record ... so what?  I bet if someone had the cojones to drop this it'd fill the floor.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

... and in a similar vein how about Brass Construction - Movin'

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Gap Band - Shake

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Soulstrutter said:

Nowt to be guilty about from this corner ... In these 'enlightened times'  I'd love to see a room full of soulies 'shufflin' to this!!!!  A great dance record and far superior to a lot of shite that IS played.  I can here the excuses now it's too well known, it got in the charts (45 years ago!!!), it's a funk record ... so what?  I bet if someone had the cojones to drop this it'd fill the floor.

I saw Craig Charles play it in the summer to a massive crowd, went down a storm.

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Nowt to be guilty about from this corner ... In these 'enlightened times'  I'd love to see a room full of soulies 'shufflin' to this!!!!  A great dance record and far superior to a lot of shite that IS played.  I can here the excuses now it's too well known, it got in the charts (45 years ago!!!), it's a funk record ... so what?  I bet if someone had the cojones to drop this it'd fill the floor.

i play this out and about    wicky wacky

Edited by Algsoul
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Algsoul said:

i play this out and about    wicky wacky

Another cracker which came out before Bus Stop but didn't quite chart so you're probably 'safe' 🙂  ... I think it may have been the 1st of theirs to get a UK release?  A couple of others Keep On Stepping (between prev 2) and then the follow up to Bus Stop ... Yum Yum (Gimme Some). Would never have got spins back in the day but with a more funky outlook now who knows?  I believe some of their earlier ones on Perception got spins e.g. Soul March

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Got me checking out some of their earlier stuff and for me this is one of the best of the bunch: 'Goin' To See My Baby'  B side to Street Dance on Perception 1973 and still a cheapie £5-£10

 

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Fat back band aka gerry &, Paul cat walk 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Mentioned this one earlier so seeing that we seem to be in 'funk mode' Rimshots - Dance Girl - which sound very similar to Wicky Wacky to these ears (both came out the same year so who nicked it from who?  ... actually if you check writing credits both written by Bill Curtis/ Johnny Flippin members of Fatback Band .. so could just be another take on same song?) - see what you think: (EDIT upon further checking it was released by Fatback Brother Bill Curtis (with Goin' To See My Baby on flip) in 1973 on Perception so it's a Rimshots cover)

 

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

get this one out now and again     love it

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

One that I think has a bit of mileage but you never hear played out. Have been trying in my own little way to champion this for years as imho one of his best

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Also proper guilty pleasure Johnny with Alton McClain

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

More Fatback heaven

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 24/01/2020 at 08:54, Richard said:

One that I think has a bit of mileage but you never hear played out. Have been trying in my own little way to champion this for years as imho one of his best

 

nice chill out tune

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

 guilty pleasure for me   ann nesby

Edited by Algsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Guilty as....., give me a maximum sentence!

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

... and of course their best from '91 (IMHO)! 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Superb, they are awesome

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

.. and also Ann Nesby - In The Spirit from 'Im' Here For You' LP/CD only (although it did 'sneak' out (on EP) along with 3 mixes of Can I Get A Witness ... but beware as it was only on the 2 UK/EU EP releases 12'' / CD)

 

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

... and if you're that way inclined 🙂 (i.e. won't appeal to everyone!) her version of Braintorm's Lovin' Is Really My Game ... this is the Steve Sillk Hurley mix: Credited only to Womack (Tranita) here ... but also written by Belita Woods.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

This automatically followed Ann Nesby whilst looking for clip above to post ... so it would be 'rude' not to post it 🙂 From the pen of Willie Hutch is a club classic from Mrs. George McCrae:

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

All the fatback band posts drove me to the following.

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest profile photo
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  1. Long Playing Pleasures
    Record Sales by Roger Banks on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 4 / 412
    • Jonathan on 27 Mar 2020
  2. The Symphonics / Guilty
    Record Wants by Vnerd63 on Tue 28 Jan 2020
    • 1 / 181
    • Vnerd63 on 28 Jan 2020
  3. 15 More Long Playing Pleasures
    Record Sales by Roger Banks on Tue 28 May 2019
    • 1 / 451
    • roger banks on 28 May 2019
  4. Clydie King 'Only The Guilty Cry' Philips WDJ £150 FREE P&P
    Record Sales by Tlscapital on Wed 20 Sep 2017
    • 1 / 252
    • tlscapital on 20 Sep 2017

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.