Mike profile photo

smart watching - fitness etc

Posted

looking at an upgrade of my current more fitness than smart watch 

whats the current soul source members take on current models?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have a Fitbit Charge 3, which I got as an unexpected Christmas present last year. It is very much a fitness tracker rather than a smart watch.

Having had it for a bit over 12 months, I must say it's proved to be very useful as a general indicator of activity - specifically exercise, sleep, heart rate. It can do more – calorie count, for example – but that requires the wearer to continually input all food and drink everyday, which is way too much of a chore. At the same time, synching between the watch and the Fitbit app on my iPhone can take several attempts, and that's a bit annoying.

Would I recommend it or any Fitbit device to anyone? No. 

Why? A quick trawl around Fitbit's user forums will show you that there are 1,000s of very unhappy and dissatisfied customers out there.

A fitness tracker is absolutely not something I had any interest in, so I definitely wouldn't have bought it for myself. But I'm happy to have it, especially as mine, in spite of a few little annoyances - like the synching issues – actually seems to function properly. I'm one of the lucky ones!

Additionally, Fitbit was recently bought out by Alphabet, Google's parent company. I see that as bringing greater intrusions regarding your personal health data.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My wife was on the FitBit 2 then 3. She transitioned to the latest Samsung at Christmas which has more smart watch functionality across multiple messaging platforms, alerts, does its own calls, basic typed replies, modified watch faces etc in addition to the fitness aspect. It seems excellent I have to say.   We use Android and it seems to integrate straight into her phone and tablet device within our GoogleHome and wifi easily.

Edited by Thinksmart

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Don't buy a Fitbit, they cannot tell when you are exercising or driving, drove for 3 hours and did 3500 steps, crock of crap.

Tom Tom had some fair reviews less than £40 on amazon.  Garmin get good reviews too.

Me, I'm more than happy with my Apple Watch.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I checked with my wife and her watch I mentioned is the Samsung Active 2.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Thinksmart said:

My wife was on the FitBit 2 then 3. She transitioned to the latest Samsung at Christmas which has more smart watch functionality across multiple messaging platforms, alerts, does its own calls, basic typed replies, modified watch faces etc in addition to the fitness aspect. It seems excellent I have to say.   We use Android and it seems to integrate straight into her phone and tablet device within our GoogleHome and wifi easily.

whats the gps like nowadays on the samsung?

had a earlier one but  wasn't up to scratch

1 minute ago, Thinksmart said:

I checked with my wife and her watch I mentioned is the Samsung Active 2.

from what read so far looks like the best non-apple option

38 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Don't buy a Fitbit, they cannot tell when you are exercising or driving, drove for 3 hours and did 3500 steps, crock of crap.

Tom Tom had some fair reviews less than £40 on amazon.  Garmin get good reviews too.

Me, I'm more than happy with my Apple Watch.

got a garmin 30 currently which does the job but was playing with idea of something a bit better as in more connected, but after some more research am not that convinced if need to upgrade right now 

apple's gets all the top reviews but not really an option if not in the apple  world

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

There are two versions of this new Samsung, my wife has the one with its own SIM card inside. So it works as a full phone and uses full phone network access for GPS accuracy.

Edited by Thinksmart

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

• 1 / 130
    • Mike on 28 Jan 2020
  1. De Vons - Groovin with my thing/Wise up & be smart
    Record Sales by Marshman on Mon 06 May 2019
    • 1 / 236
    • marshman on 06 May 2019
  2. Sacred Four -Somebody’s watching you - Champ
    Record Wants by bluesoulman on Tue 30 Apr 2019
    • 1 / 190
    • bluesoulman on 30 Apr 2019
  3. Sacred Four - Somebody’s watching you - Champ
    Record Wants by bluesoulman on Thu 07 Feb 2019
    • 1 / 182
    • bluesoulman on 07 Feb 2019

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.