Vessie Simmons ? more info please

I apologise again if this has been covered before and please direct me to any thread, if it has

Does anyone know more about Vessie, please other than this article which I found on the net after trying to research the lady 

https://sdcradionet.blogspot.com/2015/01/vessie-simmons-journey-is-never-over.html

https://www.blogtalkradio.com/kdtnradioone/2015/01/10/vessie-simmons--the-journey-is-not-over

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Had a discussion about The Ribbons on Facebook.  She or they were not the Sequins nor the Sandpapers etc.  Sequins were the Holloway sisters and a cousin.  The Sandpapers was a straight reissue of the Ribbons and as far as I know someone just changed the name, I don't think the Ribbons were still together at the time of the re-release.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Had a discussion about The Ribbons on Facebook.  She or they were not the Sequins nor the Sandpapers etc.  Sequins were the Holloway sisters and a cousin.  The Sandpapers was a straight reissue of the Ribbons and as far as I know someone just changed the name, I don't think the Ribbons were still together at the time of the re-release.

Thanks Karl

I have found this (a little difficult to read) since posting thread

soul Vessie

Social source share

Vessie was in the Ribbons.

The LA Renfro Sequins were Ruth Davis, Lee Hill & Moddess King

The A&M Sequins were Brenda Holloway, Patrice Holloway, Patty Hunt.

There was several other Sequins, Ohio, Detroit, Chicago etc.  The Ribbons may have changed their name to the Sequins bit never recorded under that name.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Vessie was in the Ribbons.

The LA Renfro Sequins were Ruth Davis, Lee Hill & Moddess King

The A&M Sequins were Brenda Holloway, Patrice Holloway, Patty Hunt.

There was several other Sequins, Ohio, Detroit, Chicago etc.  The Ribbons may have changed their name to the Sequins bit never recorded under that name.

Hopefully we can get some more info about Vessie (seems strange there is little out there)

Social source share

According to the usually reliable 'LA R&B Vocal Groups 1945-1965' by Steve Propes & Galen Gart, who spoke to Vessie Simmons in 1996 for the book,the A&M Sequins were  the Ribbons,who  did backgrounds for Phil Spector too. Vessie  also added 'I had my own group of Ikettes' ,which is possible,as there were  certainly 'touring' Ikettes alongside the 'recording' Ikettes.

Social source share

On 19/01/2020 at 05:44, Johndelve said:

I also believe, but am not 100% sure, that she fronted a 'fake' Shirelles outfit after she left the Ribbons which resulted in a 1975 court case...

It looks like Vessie's problem with the Shirelles occurred earlier than one of the links suggests - 

soul Vessie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/01/2020 at 10:50, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks Karl

I have found this (a little difficult to read) since posting thread

soul Vessie

VS began her singing career while serving actively in the US army. She entertained her follow troops in the service clubs, and was   constantly in demand by her superiors to sing at wartime functions that needed entertainment.

While stationed in France she was asked to join a vocal group of young men called the Corvettes (?)  It was not until this invitation was extended did she entertain the idea of becoming a professional singer. The   dedication to this idea was further reinforced when her group was a winner in the All Army Entertainment Contest *, and shortly-there-after she made her first television appearance on French television.     Since then the entertainment world has been her first love

Her first serious recording effort came in the early sixties when as lead singer for a group called the     Ribbons. She experience her first nationally charted record ‘ain’t gonna kiss you’ and ‘my baby said’

The latter is now part of an oldie album

soul all army copy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!