Northern Soul Pool Party??

Paul-s

It's possibly my age, but I wasn't aware of a Northern Soul Pool Party scene. But it's advertised here. I would be interested to hear what this is if anybody knows. Perhaps there are certain tracks that are played such as:

Wade in the Water - Marlena Shaw

C'mon on and Swim - Bobby Freeman

Waterfall - Jimmy Cliff

It Keeps Raining - Fats Domino

Maybe there are certain DJ's like Russ Swimstanley?

Who knows....who knows?

Social source share

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

Don't think it was a dream. I'm also pretty sure I remember seeing an ad in B&S for something like that. Was it Whitchurch possibly? ISC were doing several things at the time, mostly, from what I can recall, all-dayers on Sundays. 

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

Paul

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Jez Jones said:

Market Drayton it was 😎

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Paul r said:

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

Paul

Maybe it's a pool revivalist movement then..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

At the risk of being accused of lacking a sense of humour, it all looks pretty cool ... so, not sure what the issue is . And Mallorca sure beats Blackpool doesn't it ?

That's a disgrace, we are soaking in 24 degrees, as we speak here in Lancashire......whoops time to wake up🥵

You can get line dancing lessons here in Blackpool (don't tell me off Mike) 😀

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Spot on Chalky.

We didn't do posh hotels

We didnt need dance classes

We didn't do gourmet food (or any food)

We didn't drink cocktails.

We did't ride fake Lambrettas (those auto replicas on vid)

We didn't do mainstream.

But you weren't 50+ with lots of disposable income.  Not my idea of fun , but nothing to get wound up about. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Too late. Keith Fletcher's been organising a twice yearly soul cruise from Hull to Rotterdam (and back again) for some years. 

1474009188_Acruise.thumb.jpg.9f4656e32ba46726a88e449c5139131a.jpg

Bloody hell.....its as if I can imagine something, mention it, and it's already out there chugging along. 'Captain of My Ship' comes to mind. You can probably do a bit of fishing or crabbing as well I imagine. 

Edited by paul-s
typo
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Oi. What's up with fishing 🤔😁

Hey, I've fished all my life, but not at a soul events. But I do remember checking if anything had been caught at the back of one venue where there was gravel pits, maybe it was the Fleet, I can't quite remember ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

23 hours ago, Paul r said:

Paul

Got this from 1974 .. and remember it didn’t get off the ground .. they did do the Champagne all dayer though ..  

Chis was trying out loads of ideas back in the day ... 

soul 20FC58B0 4021 456C 9249 E9A02E82386F

soul E85508D3 8A9B 4528 B364 AD735970AB1D

soul 965178F1 F115 4EE2 8581 E3331A159DB4

• Up vote 3
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Got this from 1974 .. and remember it didn’t get off the ground .. they did do the Champagne all dayer though ..  

Chis was trying out loads of ideas back in the day ... 

soul 20FC58B0 4021 456C 9249 E9A02E82386F

soul E85508D3 8A9B 4528 B364 AD735970AB1D

soul 965178F1 F115 4EE2 8581 E3331A159DB4

Great stuff !!!!....those little known Sunday evening sessions at Steam machine...am sure they packed up after 2 or 3 events ?? (it may not have been ISC) ??....didn't Tiffs start doing  them after ?

Great adverts btw 🙂

Edited by Jez Jones
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of soul cruises, just seen this, some nice places to visit with some choons on the decks. 

https://www.freewebs.com/soulinthehind/soul-cruise-2021?fbclid=IwAR1Bt4_aJN_adwD6mP1zh9_nXJ3PmQdqoHtYArTODWi2slCVdD_ywcKP300

Looks like a lovely holiday, but I would never want to mix my holidays with 'Norman Soul' - Each to their own though (of course)

Ady's Cleethorpe's weekender had a 'proper' pool party every Sunday night - God knows how everyone survived! (I don't think that was planned though) ((The pool party that is, not the whole weekender)) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/01/2020 at 11:08, Paul r said:

Paul

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

Edited by Paul r
additional information
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

And a DJ line-up that would put those that followed to shame. Several DJs are now feted as Gods, and regardless of their reputation, they couldn't hold a candle to any of those three. Oh to listen to me old mate Martyn for one more hour. I'd die a happy man. 

Social source share

On 25/01/2020 at 17:15, Hooker1951 said:

We are all doomed, doomed I’m serious something special and unreplaceable is being destroyed by phoney,s pretenders,twobit hustlers who have not got one bit of soul holding them together they invent the past to promote their egos ect, no edge to them no personality, just utter bunkum,unfortunately Boffins of Ballyhoo have followers who are similar minded and it seem like today they outnumber real Mc,oy Soulies, Serious Problems need serious solving
I propose hiring a cruise liner for a soul cruise load it up with all the phoney pretend DJ,s phoney promoters and part time soulies say everything is free especially beer and baggy pants sail it into mid Atlantic at midnight open up first tune  with the Snake have a submarine ready to fire torpedoes at 12,02 mid ships job done weekend after have proper Soul nights with proper promoters and proper DJ,s with real soulies who won’t visit these pretend soul nights ,I knowitsounds drastic but it just might work LoL,

KR

ML

Great! I reckon 'McSoulies' might be the new term for this band of merry revellers..'Boffins of Ballyhoo', made me chuckle 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/01/2020 at 17:15, Hooker1951 said:

We are all doomed, doomed I’m serious something special and unreplaceable is being destroyed by phoney,s pretenders,twobit hustlers who have not got one bit of soul holding them together they invent the past to promote their egos ect, no edge to them no personality, just utter bunkum,unfortunately Boffins of Ballyhoo have followers who are similar minded and it seem like today they outnumber real Mc,oy Soulies, Serious Problems need serious solving
I propose hiring a cruise liner for a soul cruise load it up with all the phoney pretend DJ,s phoney promoters and part time soulies say everything is free especially beer and baggy pants sail it into mid Atlantic at midnight open up first tune  with the Snake have a submarine ready to fire torpedoes at 12,02 mid ships job done weekend after have proper Soul nights with proper promoters and proper DJ,s with real soulies who won’t visit these pretend soul nights ,I knowitsounds drastic but it just might work LoL,

KR

ML

Mick. It would be a big pool party then , 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, paul-s said:

Great! I reckon 'McSoulies' might be the new term for this band of merry revellers..'Boffins of Ballyhoo', made me chuckle 😂

'Boffins of Ballyhoo' defo a copyright Mick Lyons that one :D 

A few years back I was at a do (can't remember where) Was only myself and another dancing to somat, and a p*ssed up girl was dancing all over the place, even bumping into just the two of us who were on the dance floor at that particular time!  After the record had finished, the guy came over to me with a big smile on his face and said......"Had that been a bloke I would have decked him!"......Of course I said......"Me too!".....(He didn't know I had only one fight in my entire life under my belt) Anyway, we simply shrugged it off, and didn't get too bothered by the p*ssed up girl (Who was having a wail of a time!)

Point being - This was a few years ago, but going by what I read, it seems that these sort of manageable situations have now turned into some events being top heavy with more people like this than us lot.

Depends where you go for now......

P.s - I saw 'SlipKnot' last night :shhh:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Len said:

Point being - This was a few years ago, but going by what I read, it seems that these sort of manageable situations have now turned into some events being top heavy with more people like this than us lot.

Depends where you go for now......

P.s - I saw 'SlipKnot' last night :shhh:

SlipKnot - now there’s a change from Northern Len ... did you wear a mask and get in the Mosh pit ... 

Went to see Norman Connors - with Lonnie Liston Smith and should have been Ronnie Laws at the Indigo on Friday night - very poor ... although the Starship Orchestra where good and Lonnie held his own .. all getting old I guess .

There was a guy there I nearly decked as he kept tokin on a Vape right in front of us .. and never stopped talking all the way through the gig ..

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!