paul-s profile photo

Northern Soul Pool Party??

Posted

It's possibly my age, but I wasn't aware of a Northern Soul Pool Party scene. But it's advertised here. I would be interested to hear what this is if anybody knows. Perhaps there are certain tracks that are played such as:

Wade in the Water - Marlena Shaw

C'mon on and Swim - Bobby Freeman

Waterfall - Jimmy Cliff

It Keeps Raining - Fats Domino

Maybe there are certain DJ's like Russ Swimstanley?

Who knows....who knows?

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Or Paul you could have.  

What. Judy Street , if you go you will be a 

Seven day fool. Etta James, so 

Stop girl. Seven Dwarfs, and don't be  

Wrong Man. Tony Clarke 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

At the risk of being accused of lacking a sense of humour, it all looks pretty cool ... so, not sure what the issue is . And Mallorca sure beats Blackpool doesn't it ?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

At the risk of being accused of lacking a sense of humour, it all looks pretty cool ... so, not sure what the issue is . And Mallorca sure beats Blackpool doesn't it ?

It's all getting like a SAGA holiday scene, all nice and fluffy.  I'm surprised we don't have over 50's Northern Soul funeral plans yet?

  • Up vote 9

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

In keeping with the topic.... You dropped Your Candy In The Sand (Paul Sindab)

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

FFS dance lessons and the Signatures.....I'd sooner do Blackpool

  • Up vote 7

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Chalky said:

FFS dance lessons and the Signatures.....I'd sooner do Blackpool

yeah must admit the dance lessons bit was naff ...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Surely, if you need dancing lessons, you ain't really feeling it.

Howard Guyton - I watched you slowly swim away...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

Don't think it was a dream. I'm also pretty sure I remember seeing an ad in B&S for something like that. Was it Whitchurch possibly? ISC were doing several things at the time, mostly, from what I can recall, all-dayers on Sundays. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
53 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

 

Paul

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

There is obviously a market for it....

SITS been running for years and years.

Ed

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Jez Jones said:

Now..here's a thing...I am sure that there was a pool session/with NS way back. Now I do mean way back !!...twas during Torch times and I'm sure they were advertised for a Sunday (flyers and Blues and Soul) ..Here's where confusion sets in...Market Harboro ..Market Drayton ?????? run by ISC ????......was I dreamin lol 🙂   

Market Drayton it was 😎

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chalky said:

In keeping with the topic.... You dropped Your Candy In The Sand (Paul Sindab)

You could have a pool party in the Arctic then you could play the daisies cold wave😂😂😂

Edited by Speedlimit

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chalky said:

It's all getting like a SAGA holiday scene, all nice and fluffy.  I'm surprised we don't have over 50's Northern Soul funeral plans yet?

Brilliantly put......

Not a funeral plan, but a planned funeral: https://en-gb.facebook.com/northernsoulfunerals/

Edited by paul-s
added
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, TIVOLI said:

Market Drayton it was 😎

phew..glad some other people remember it 🙂 ....did anyone ever go to one of them I wonder ?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Not me. I was to young 🤣🤣🤣

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Paul r said:

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

 

Paul

Maybe it's a pool revivalist movement then..

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

There is obviously a market for it....

SITS been running for years and years.

Ed

 

Indeed. There is  market for everything. Has there ever been a Northern Soul Cruise? If not, it will be coming soon I reckon...

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, paul-s said:

Maybe it's a pool revivalist movement then..

don't give em ideas !!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
13 minutes ago, paul-s said:

There is  market for everything. Has there ever been a Northern Soul Cruise? If not, it will be coming soon I reckon...

Too late. Keith Fletcher's been organising a twice yearly soul cruise from Hull to Rotterdam (and back again) for some years. 

1474009188_Acruise.thumb.jpg.9f4656e32ba46726a88e449c5139131a.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

At the risk of being accused of lacking a sense of humour, it all looks pretty cool ... so, not sure what the issue is . And Mallorca sure beats Blackpool doesn't it ?

That's a disgrace, we are soaking in 24 degrees, as we speak here in Lancashire......whoops time to wake up🥵

You can get line dancing lessons here in Blackpool (don't tell me off Mike) 😀

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Everyday I see another nail in the Coffin of the scene that was once cool and had an edge to it.
 

It’s full of divvies, divvy bands and promoters milking it for what they can get.

most of these wouldn’t have lasted five minutes with some of the characters we once had. 

  • Up vote 26
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Spot on Chalky.

 We didn't do posh hotels

We didnt need dance classes

We didn't do gourmet food (or any food)

We didn't drink cocktails.

We did't ride fake Lambrettas (those auto replicas on vid)

We didn't do mainstream.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Spot on Chalky.

 We didn't do posh hotels

We didnt need dance classes

We didn't do gourmet food (or any food)

We didn't drink cocktails.

We did't ride fake Lambrettas (those auto replicas on vid)

We didn't do mainstream.

But you weren't 50+ with lots of disposable income.  Not my idea of fun , but nothing to get wound up about. 

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Too late. Keith Fletcher's been organising a twice yearly soul cruise from Hull to Rotterdam (and back again) for some years. 

1474009188_Acruise.thumb.jpg.9f4656e32ba46726a88e449c5139131a.jpg

Bloody hell.....its as if I can imagine something, mention it, and it's already out there chugging along. 'Captain of My Ship' comes to mind. You can probably do a bit of fishing or crabbing as well I imagine. 

Edited by paul-s
typo
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

Art Freeman Slippin' Around

 

sure everyone attending will have a swinging good time

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
34 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

But you weren't 50+ with lots of disposable income.  Not my idea of fun , but nothing to get wound up about. 

Maybe not but these were the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from, they have or are turning it all it to a sanitised parody of what it once was

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Put a Dime on D9.

 

382828_262448703811526_754420909_n.jpg?_

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Maybe not but these were the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from, they have or are turning it all it to a sanitised parody of what it once was

And there in lies the Irony,  the Scene has now turned into the VERY thing we joined it to get away from in the First place. 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
56 minutes ago, paul-s said:

Bloody hell.....its as if I can imagine something, mention it, and it's already out there chugging along. 'Captain of My Ship' comes to mind. You can probably do a bit of fishing or crabbing as well I imagine. 

Oi. What's up with fishing 🤔😁

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Put a Dime on D9.

 

382828_262448703811526_754420909_n.jpg?_

Be careful of cue burn

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Oi. What's up with fishing 🤔😁

Hey, I've fished all my life, but not at a soul events. But I do remember checking if anything had been caught at the back of one venue where there was gravel pits, maybe it was the Fleet, I can't quite remember ?

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
23 hours ago, Paul r said:

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

 

Paul

Got this from 1974 .. and remember it didn’t get off the ground .. they did do the Champagne all dayer though ..  

Chis was trying out loads of ideas back in the day ... 

soul 20FC58B0 4021 456C 9249 E9A02E82386F

soul E85508D3 8A9B 4528 B364 AD735970AB1D

soul 965178F1 F115 4EE2 8581 E3331A159DB4

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Got this from 1974 .. and remember it didn’t get off the ground .. they did do the Champagne all dayer though ..  

Chis was trying out loads of ideas back in the day ... 

soul 20FC58B0 4021 456C 9249 E9A02E82386F

soul E85508D3 8A9B 4528 B364 AD735970AB1D

soul 965178F1 F115 4EE2 8581 E3331A159DB4

Great stuff !!!!....those little known Sunday evening sessions at Steam machine...am sure they packed up after 2 or 3 events ?? (it may not have been ISC) ??....didn't Tiffs start doing  them after ?

 

Great adverts btw 🙂

Edited by Jez Jones

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Oi. What's up with fishing 🤔😁

My wife has persuaded me to go to Cleethorpes this year.

Main selling point is the fishing lake. Not been fishing for years but used to go a lot.

That's the only gear I'm taking.

If you or Paul S are going too I could do with some assistance as I think I've forgotten how to use my hook tie.

I went to some weekender in France where people were sat around the pool. A fag, a drink in the balmy night air and my mind went back to smoking outside Burnley all-nighter at 3 a.m. in January and suddenly "keeping it real" wasn't that attractive.

 

  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of soul cruises, just seen this, some nice places to visit with some choons on the decks. 

https://www.freewebs.com/soulinthehind/soul-cruise-2021?fbclid=IwAR1Bt4_aJN_adwD6mP1zh9_nXJ3PmQdqoHtYArTODWi2slCVdD_ywcKP300

Looks like a lovely holiday, but I would never want to mix my holidays with 'Norman Soul' - Each to their own though (of course)

Ady's Cleethorpe's weekender had a 'proper' pool party every Sunday night - God knows how everyone survived! (I don't think that was planned though) ((The pool party that is, not the whole weekender)) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

You could always go a bit further afield.

https://soultraincruise.com/

 

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 20/01/2020 at 11:08, Paul r said:

From what I remember, it was Market Drayton, and advertised as Bar B Q and splash. I remember the ads in B&S. Summer of 73 and definitely ISC. It's funny, I can't remember what I did yesterday, but remember an advert from a magazine 47 years ago!

 

Paul

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

Edited by Paul r
additional information

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
52 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

And a DJ line-up that would put those that followed to shame. Several DJs are now feted as Gods, and regardless of their reputation, they couldn't hold a candle to any of those three. Oh to listen to me old mate Martyn for one more hour. I'd die a happy man. 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

We are all doomed, doomed I’m serious something special and unreplaceable is being destroyed by phoney,s pretenders,twobit hustlers who have not got one bit of soul holding them together they invent the past to promote their egos ect, no edge to them no personality, just utter bunkum,unfortunately Boffins of Ballyhoo have followers who are similar minded and it seem like today they outnumber real Mc,oy Soulies, Serious Problems need serious solving
I propose hiring a cruise liner for a soul cruise load it up with all the phoney pretend DJ,s phoney promoters and part time soulies say everything is free especially beer and baggy pants sail it into mid Atlantic at midnight open up first tune  with the Snake have a submarine ready to fire torpedoes at 12,02 mid ships job done weekend after have proper Soul nights with proper promoters and proper DJ,s with real soulies who won’t visit these pretend soul nights ,I knowitsounds drastic but it just might work LoL,

KR

ML

  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 hours ago, Paul R said:

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

Fantastic !!  excellent stuff....a quid and we'll sling the Drifters as well !!......jogged a memory that has....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 25/01/2020 at 16:08, Paul R said:

Found it Blues And Soul 113 dated July 6th 1973. Just noticed by the time the issue had come out, the event had happened!

soul isc bar b q

thanks! Great to see all these documents being posted and shared..

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 25/01/2020 at 17:15, Hooker1951 said:

We are all doomed, doomed I’m serious something special and unreplaceable is being destroyed by phoney,s pretenders,twobit hustlers who have not got one bit of soul holding them together they invent the past to promote their egos ect, no edge to them no personality, just utter bunkum,unfortunately Boffins of Ballyhoo have followers who are similar minded and it seem like today they outnumber real Mc,oy Soulies, Serious Problems need serious solving
I propose hiring a cruise liner for a soul cruise load it up with all the phoney pretend DJ,s phoney promoters and part time soulies say everything is free especially beer and baggy pants sail it into mid Atlantic at midnight open up first tune  with the Snake have a submarine ready to fire torpedoes at 12,02 mid ships job done weekend after have proper Soul nights with proper promoters and proper DJ,s with real soulies who won’t visit these pretend soul nights ,I knowitsounds drastic but it just might work LoL,

KR

ML

Great! I reckon 'McSoulies' might be the new term for this band of merry revellers..'Boffins of Ballyhoo', made me chuckle 😂

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 25/01/2020 at 17:15, Hooker1951 said:

We are all doomed, doomed I’m serious something special and unreplaceable is being destroyed by phoney,s pretenders,twobit hustlers who have not got one bit of soul holding them together they invent the past to promote their egos ect, no edge to them no personality, just utter bunkum,unfortunately Boffins of Ballyhoo have followers who are similar minded and it seem like today they outnumber real Mc,oy Soulies, Serious Problems need serious solving
I propose hiring a cruise liner for a soul cruise load it up with all the phoney pretend DJ,s phoney promoters and part time soulies say everything is free especially beer and baggy pants sail it into mid Atlantic at midnight open up first tune  with the Snake have a submarine ready to fire torpedoes at 12,02 mid ships job done weekend after have proper Soul nights with proper promoters and proper DJ,s with real soulies who won’t visit these pretend soul nights ,I knowitsounds drastic but it just might work LoL,

KR

ML

Mick. It would be a big pool party then , 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, paul-s said:

Great! I reckon 'McSoulies' might be the new term for this band of merry revellers..'Boffins of Ballyhoo', made me chuckle 😂

'Boffins of Ballyhoo' defo a copyright Mick Lyons that one :D 

A few years back I was at a do (can't remember where) Was only myself and another dancing to somat, and a p*ssed up girl was dancing all over the place, even bumping into just the two of us who were on the dance floor at that particular time!  After the record had finished, the guy came over to me with a big smile on his face and said......"Had that been a bloke I would have decked him!"......Of course I said......"Me too!".....(He didn't know I had only one fight in my entire life under my belt) Anyway, we simply shrugged it off, and didn't get too bothered by the p*ssed up girl (Who was having a wail of a time!)

Point being - This was a few years ago, but going by what I read, it seems that these sort of manageable situations have now turned into some events being top heavy with more people like this than us lot.

Depends where you go for now......

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I saw 'SlipKnot' last night :shhh:

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
35 minutes ago, Len said:

Had that been a bloke I would have decked him!"......Of course I said......"Me too!".....(He didn't know I had only one fight in my entire life under my belt) 

Len. How do you manage to have a fight under your belt. 🤔😎😋🤣

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Len said:

 

Point being - This was a few years ago, but going by what I read, it seems that these sort of manageable situations have now turned into some events being top heavy with more people like this than us lot.

Depends where you go for now......

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I saw 'SlipKnot' last night :shhh:

SlipKnot - now there’s a change from Northern Len ... did you wear a mask and get in the Mosh pit ... 

Went to see Norman Connors - with Lonnie Liston Smith and should have been Ronnie Laws at the Indigo on Friday night - very poor ... although the Starship Orchestra where good and Lonnie held his own .. all getting old I guess .

There was a guy there I nearly decked as he kept tokin on a Vape right in front of us .. and never stopped talking all the way through the gig ..

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Northern soul collecting!! Is it a con?
    All About the SOUL by Mal C on Wed 15 Feb 2017
    • 129 / 21274
    • Gazoor on 28 Mar 2020
  2. List Of Northern Soul US Original 45's For Sale £40-£500
    Soul Website Sales by Steve Plumb on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 402
    • Steve Plumb on 27 Mar 2020
  3. Northern Soul Acetate + some singles on Ebay.
    Soul Website Sales by Modboy1 on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 260
    • Modboy1 on 27 Mar 2020
  4. Northern For A Wednesday
    Record Sales by Soul Inc on Wed 25 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 379
    • Soul Inc on 25 Mar 2020
  5. John Muff Murfin - A Northern Soul influence ?
    All About the SOUL by Blackpoolsoul on Tue 24 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 124
    • Blackpoolsoul on 24 Mar 2020

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.