News: Soul Street - New Club Soul LP - funky side of northern soul

Mike

48 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Individually there's some great tunes here.

Played one after the other at a northern soul night, it will clear the dance floor.

Ed

Individually there's some great tunes here.

Played one after the other at a northern soul night, it will clear the dance floor.

Ed

Hopefully a vinyl compilation, when done with taste and some 'representative' tunes that don't have the favor from all on the "scene", is a much smarter move as they aim anyway to those who can't afford the 45's yet still want to hear, discover and 'educate' their ear to "new" sounds as well.

For those reasons I always favored my Kent compilations (pre N°50) as a 'beginner' and always had a dedicated dislike for the Inferno see through comp vinyl and cover with that 'tainted love' tune lasting 15 minutes and on the flip the house party pre-mixed job of too few "good" ol' classics.

Onto which all was made as an artifact for the kids 'house party'. Here now I think it's a rather fair selection they did there. Maybe a tad too much on the 'safe' side of things. But I'm not concerned by comps anymore. Still it's good to see younger ones going for them and buzzing on about tunes :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Really interesting compilation. I have to agree with @Tomangoes that if played back to back it would be likely to clear the floor. To be honest, I feel like that about all genres of NS - love stompers and classics, love modern, reggae influenced, low rider, brand new, funky and probably several other strands that I don't even realise have a name. I'd enjoy across the board being within a DJ's set, rather than one style for an hour, followed by something different for the next etc. As @Tlscapital says, the Kent albums have been a great source to broaden your tastes, certainly opened my ears to a massive amount of stuff I didn't at the time know.

That said - a very good album, and the Lee Moses track sounds great!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!