Coolnotes

Gifts from Europe :

I felt it might be timely to examine the contribution that European countries have provided to the music we love. Either in their native language or English . These seven selections clearly won’t be an exhaustive collection and is obviously shaped by my own tastes . Id welcome some of your own suggestions to the thread as Im aware there will be far more.      Building Bridges not walls. Keep the Faith .

Mario Biondi and the High Five Quintet  This is What You Are.  Italy.

This man will need little introduction after “This is What You Are ‘ arrived on our shores like a breath of fresh air back in 2004. He managed to bridge racial lines with a voice that is so rich and deep it was a wonder to discover he was white . An even greater bridge was to provide what was effectively a Jazz record that would get played across the board at Northern Soul events and fill floors.  He has continued to deliver some equally choice material in subsequent collections and makes rare live appearances including filling the Albert Hall. Bellisimo !!

Rita Rae : Oh Honey .  Estonia

A recently debut album “Old Love Wont Rust”  provides 8 tracks of pure class  and it grabbing some serious airplay on Solar Radio . Mostly Blue eyed soul Torch type songs , of which “Oh Honey” is my favourite and triggers  the vibe provided by Kiki Dees 2005 Motown collection.

https://ritaray.bandcamp.com/album/old-love-will-rust

The Five Corners Quintet : Blueprint  . Finland :

I came across  this via the superb Jazz Biz  collections put out by Jake Behnan’s Counterpoint label  over 10 years from 1999 offering a wonder eclectic mix of Jazz in its broadest sense. “Blueprint” appeared on Vol  3.  Originally a studio band they went on to deliver  both a healthy catalogue  of material on Ricky Tick and garner appreciative audiences from as far as Japan and the USA as well as here with their brand of Dance Jazz. You might also want to check out Jukka Escola , another Finish Jazz artist , and of course Jazz Bizz  volumes 1 - 4 which are going for a song it seems.

St Germain :  Rose Rouge . France :

St Germain the stage name of Boulonge born  Ludovic Navarre who since 1995 has been involved in a series of joint productions with artists world wide , delivering a credible taste of Acid / Nu Jazz and Deep House combo. I first heard ‘Rose Rouge’ browsing the record bins of Loafers in Halifax and was gripped. It Samples Dave Brubecks Take Five , and more prominently Marlena Shaws “Woman of the Ghetto’ which combine to provide a totally compelling dance mix.

Asia Yarwood :   New Faith . Poland.

Asia Yarwood epitomises the best  of how this country can  absorb and support international artists who enrich our own musical catalogues in doing so. Asia came to the UK with a Masters in Jazz and Popular Music from  Katowice. Since then she has provided backing support for the likes of Kenny Thomas and Jocelyn Brown  as well a spell with funk band Touch the Pearl in her home town of Blackpool.

She has developed her own catalogue of uplifting quality contemporary  soulful dance music. My favourite being this cut  New Faith from her work with John Khan and the Quantize Label.

Carina Andersson : ‘Time to Break Free”.  Sweden

From Blenkinge , Carina trained as an opera singer and is also an accomplished painter and artist and I believe she lives in the UK .She developed took her fusion of Soul and Jazz to London to collaborate with 4 Heroes for Talkin Loud . Released her debut album Stars ( 2012 ) and the 2014 EP   Lift My Spirit EP via Harmonik Music, with downloads available on Amazon . Her style will probably appeal to fellow Neo Soul/Soul Jazz fans. Ive chosen Time to Break Free from the Stars album . Clearly a Talkin Loud vibe with more than a hint of Diana Ross in my opinion.

Ayman : ‘ Mensch wie Due” (Human Like You. )

Don’t imagine you have to go hunting for quality  European crossover Soul music , if you catch the right radio stations it will sometimes come to you and a couple of years ago  Solar Radio alerted me to German /Tunisian singer  Ayman whose contemporary  RnB has provided his success in Germany and partnerships with the likes of Sean Coombes and Keith Sweat. Ein Mensch wie Due (Human Like You. ) comes from his 2010 album of the same name, and is not strictly typical of his material it has  Philly vibe that might appeal if you  get over the language obstacles. 

Keep the Faith. Cool Notes. 

• Up vote 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

What a great thread "you beat me to it" 😀

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

One that immediately comes to mind is the late Sven Zetterburg and his delightful mid-tempo gem from 2004.

Another is Italian band, New Colour, and their 2015 release, Why did we say goodbye. The flip is also a winner!

More recently - just last year, in fact - came this delight from Frenchman, Alexis Evans...

And don't forget all the European record labels that have so consistently put out great soul sides. Timmion and Cannonball immediately come to mind, but of course there are others!

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Great thread ...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

What a great thread "you beat me to it" 😀

Brenda Boykin track is superb ! Such a shame it's not a vinyl release ? 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Another dancer in the modern room (or at least I played it) and this is on Vinyl !!!

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

Record Kicks are great

this one from 2010 has been getting loads of plays at home, it's a limited release (1 new left on Bandcamp and about 8 M on discogs)

Record Kicks proudly presents the first new single in over 35 years by ex Motown recording artist Floyd Lawson. Floyd Lawson & The Hearts Of Stone popped up on Motown's subsidiary VIP label in 1970 with debut album “Stop the World: We Wanna Get Off”.

Now, 35 years since his last album was recorded, Floyd Lawson goes back to his roots and releases two brand new tracks on RK. On side A we find the upbeat “Roof Top Sugar”, a sizzling slice of funky crossover soul with a party vibe and festive atmosphere, backed on the flip by soulful midtempo tune “I Ain’t Going Nowhere”.

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

Record Kicks are great

this one from 2010 has been getting loads of plays at home, it's a limited release (1 new left on Bandcamp and about 8 M on discogs)

Record Kicks proudly presents the first new single in over 35 years by ex Motown recording artist Floyd Lawson. Floyd Lawson & The Hearts Of Stone popped up on Motown's subsidiary VIP label in 1970 with debut album “Stop the World: We Wanna Get Off”.

Now, 35 years since his last album was recorded, Floyd Lawson goes back to his roots and releases two brand new tracks on RK. On side A we find the upbeat “Roof Top Sugar”, a sizzling slice of funky crossover soul with a party vibe and festive atmosphere, backed on the flip by soulful midtempo tune “I Ain’t Going Nowhere”.

I know the label is European, but I think the thread is about European artists mainly (who may have collaborated sometimes) so I do think this one sort of doesn't count in the scheme of things, nice tune though 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
44 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I know the label is European, but I think the thread is about European artists mainly

that's a shame, never expected an American soul artsist to be ruled out on a SS topic but there we are, I'll stay out of this thread then

the European labels have given us loads of great tunes from all kinds of nationalities

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I know the label is European, but I think the thread is about European artists mainly (who may have collaborated sometimes) so I do think this one sort of doesn't count in the scheme of things, nice tune though 

nah you got it wrong, the opening post includes 'the contribution that European countries have provided to the music we love.'

that (to me) opens it up to a wider and deserved scope that goes beyond individual artists nationality

discussion/highlighting of all european related contributions be it labels, production, owners, writers, artists etc etc am sure will be of interest and worthwhile and deserved

2 hours ago, Shufflin said:

that's a shame, never expected an American soul artsist to be ruled out on a SS topic but there we are, I'll stay out of this thread then

the European labels have given us loads of great tunes from all kinds of nationalities

wouldn't butt out yet, blackpoolsoul  just got things wrong 👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Great thread and some cracking tunes that I’ve really enjoyed listening to, here’s my contribution, from Italy, black box- fall into my love

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
14 hours ago, Shufflin said:

Yep my post was intended to cover any positive contributions coming from Europe towards our music scene , which Id imagined would need to include record labels, DJ's , as well as artistes . Am I right that a number of US Soul singers came to us from European countries , often US armed forces in Germany . Geno Washington ? 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Boogaloo Assassins ' one and only' - fab sound imo,  from Italy and being playing it out since release to a great reaction 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

'Do you wanna dance '

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Coolnotes said:

Yep my post was intended to cover any positive contributions coming from Europe towards our music scene , which Id imagined would need to include record labels, DJ's , as well as artistes . Am I right that a number of US Soul singers came to us from European countries , often US armed forces in Germany . Geno Washington ? 

I do apologise and will look for some

Meanwhile

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Don’t forget UK still part of Europe (until tomorrow!) 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Andybellwood said:

'Do you wanna dance '

Would love a thread on salsa 😁

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

The Pepper Pots have had collaborations with some of the most important artists in the recent history of Soul music (Binky Griptite, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed) as well as the past (the Impressions, Maxine Brown)

amazed at how nice sounding records like this 45 get ignored, it sounds a bit like The Four Larks to me, it's sold out on Bandcamp but 11 on Discogs for dirt cheap, YT clip below of the LP cut

image.png.a89cdc1841a5f855140f8be8e8c4925b.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Deserves a mention - 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

One from Belgium...

And two from the Netherlands...

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Was it really 15 years ago......where does the time go !!!

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Johnmcc said:

Probably the best single I have ever heard in my life !!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I can’t stop playing it. It’s brilliant. When he holds the note near the end - Hangin’ In for sure. Co-inceden5ally we’ve been discussing this on another thread - about the bass. They only recorded this one song and what a beauty. Reissued in Germany a few years ago - 500 all gone. Needless to say I’m in the market if anyone has one at a decent price - the ones on discogs seem high.....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
13 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

I can’t stop playing it. It’s brilliant. When he holds the note near the end - Hangin’ In for sure. Co-inceden5ally we’ve been discussing this on another thread - about the bass. They only recorded this one song and what a beauty. Reissued in Germany a few years ago - 500 all gone. Needless to say I’m in the market if anyone has one at a decent price - the ones on discogs seem high.....

I will ask for a re re-issue, when it was done first they were only £15

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Polyvelts

From the Netherlands

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice laid-back 70s mover, also from the Netherlands...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Polyvelts

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The break on this is awesome

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

From France - American Virginia Vee who moved to Paris at a young age and remained there for the rest of her life.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Tony Milton aka Tony Middleton recorded a few times when he moved to France for a while, including this version of the Mel Torme classic.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Give myself a severe telling off for missing out this gem from my Jazz Funk days .  Lets Dance in France.. ! 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The Ju Ju Orchestra founded in 2004 by DJ Sammy and Oliver Beltz, based in Germany . 'Bossa Nova Is Not A Crime' was released worldwide on the 19th March, 2007. On it you can find some joint work with great vocalists like Terry Callier, Carolyn Leonhart (Steely Dan), Katia B from Brazil and Robert Smith. 'Rio de Janeiro Blue' was released by Universal Jazz and they received some great reactions for their work. This comes from their LP Bossa Nova is not a crime - also features a class version of Funky Nassau. ! 

• Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
14 minutes ago, Coolnotes said:

The Ju Ju Orchestra founded in 2004 by DJ Sammy and Oliver Beltz, based in Germany . 'Bossa Nova Is Not A Crime' was released worldwide on the 19th March, 2007. On it you can find some joint work with great vocalists like Terry Callier, Carolyn Leonhart (Steely Dan), Katia B from Brazil and Robert Smith. 'Rio de Janeiro Blue' was released by Universal Jazz and they received some great reactions for their work. This comes from their LP Bossa Nova is not a crime - also features a class version of Funky Nassau. ! 

Fantastic stuff and this banging tune fro the same outfit.....I love Nu Bossa

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

OK Im pushing my luck with the European connections on this one , released on his 2012 Love for All Seasons Album , but .. he moved to Italy in 1984 and came over from Italy  to perform this at the 2018 Morecambe North Lancs Soul Weekender. KTF. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

French/Senegalese  Rapper MC Solar achieved fame for his work with Guru and Missy Elliot and others in 1990's , this comes from his Talkin Loud LP. who probably provided the funky  backing singer and band. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
26 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You just know this will get sampled to death and turn up on a fashion or travel TV ad , .. but I love it. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
11 hours ago, The Yank said:

Well Im not sure of the Europe connection BUT ... what a great post.. someone new to me from my old town of Colchester and Ive just binged on his back catalogue  , a lot on Daptone. What a legend under our noses . Cheers Yank. 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

If I ever come out of retirement and DJ again I will just play this on a loop and bring the world together

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A thoroughly enjoyable thread. There so much to hear and so little time! I'd like to contribute a few favourites from mainland Europe beginning with the Catalan band The Pepperpots from 2011. They sing in English and started as a retro ska band before developing their throwback sound. Cut an EP with Eli 'Paperboy' Reed.

Edited by Firecrest
Link misconnected
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The Nantes based Jay Airiness has been mentioned on this website over the past two years. One post tipped me off about the Incognito inspired @ Jazzy Mind'. It's on a stunning 12" with a splendid label design featuring an old telephone dial. Just a pleasure to own - Bandcamp.

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

one of my favs from recent years would be

image.thumb.png.5903937d374e9502a3d385f9d0ee8922.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
7 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

The Nantes based Jay Airiness has been mentioned on this website over the past two years

I have their instrumental "A" from it's 200 run limited edition, I think this track would have gone down well at Cleethorpes and similar venues

image.png.d5e3411adea1bc043e3d6532284e1d66.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

2 Men 4 Soul featuring Roberta O'Neill

I got this from new in 1996 (no way is it that long ago!). It had some rare groove action in London. I appreciate this is a long way from 60s soul and may be rejected by some as too electronic but this Ravenna based group still cut it with me. A one off album that has had several reissues.

Edited by Firecrest

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

1. Soul / Mod Related Cards And Gifts
    Sale Websites by MaggieM on Fri 09 Nov 2012
    • 1 / 390
    • MaggieM on 09 Nov 2012
  2. Giving Records As Kind Gifts
    All About The Soul by Buey on Fri 04 Nov 2011
    • 18 / 1240
    • Matt Male on 05 Nov 2011
  3. Wanted: Gloria Shannon ‘tears Are Gifts From Heaven’ Real Side
    Record Wants by rocco151 on Mon 25 Feb 2019
    • 2 / 497
    • Nige Brown on 26 Feb 2019
  4. Young Henry Ford & The Gifts
    Record Wants by dj diva di on Sun 04 Jan 2009
    • 3 / 304
    • HARRY CROSBY on 04 Jan 2009
  5. Soulful Christmas Cards And Gifts
    General Sales by MaggieM on Wed 14 Nov 2012
    • 1 / 1181
    • MaggieM on 14 Nov 2012
  6. Number Of Soul Events In Europe 2018
    All About The Soul by Amsterdam Russ on Mon 04 Feb 2019
    • 6 / 550
    • Amsterdam Russ on 08 Feb 2019

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.