Soul Sam @ St Ives All-nighter 1977/78 LIVE TAPE

Soulstrutter

On 8 February 2020 at 17:30, slipmatplayer said:

I would say mid to late '77 as I vaguely remember as I sold him the Chris Cerf at Sale Mecca.I had already covered it up as being Len Barry and no one had yet found one,it didn't take them long though!

Hi john I asked about Chris cerf as I never knew it covered up didn't the copies come out of Tib street

Edited by mark b
Social source share

2 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Cody Micheal was on merben same label as Vivian Carol and John Bowie, remember looking at it when he played it. 

Thanks for that .... I thought it a bit early for RCA / Grapevine acetate as it didn't come out until 1979 but couldn't think of what label it was on!

.... Incidentally there is an alternate 'version' that uses same backing by Michael Christian - If I Can't Have You [Concept] (still blue-eyed though! without even a nod to the writer Philly's Bobby Martin):

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

On 12/02/2020 at 16:07, Soulstrutter said:

Thanks for that .... I thought it a bit early for RCA / Grapevine acetate as it didn't come out until 1979 but couldn't think of what label it was on!

.... Incidentally there is an alternate 'version' that uses same backing by Michael Christian - If I Can't Have You [Concept] (still blue-eyed though! without even a nod to the writer Philly's Bobby Martin):

isnt there a couple more on the label using the backing track,

female one title ive got a juicy mouth baby

Social source share

6 hours ago, mark b said:

... and another two by same artist using 7 Days 52 Weeks backing (from Philly, which makes sense as 7 days is credited to Robert L. Martin (aka Bobby Martin) and isn't Merben a Philly label and Cody M was recorded at Virtue studios.  Virtue offered service whereby for $300-$500 you could turn up a cut a disc and put it on Virtue or your own label .... now I wonder if Virtue provided the backing track and different lyrics were recorded on top as that's now at least 5 different songs using same backing???

Liza-Mae - Up Until The Night Time Comes [Concept #CON 920] ... the flip to Juicy Mouth (CON 915) is 'The Watergate Jazz' ... so guessing that would date it between 72-74?

Liza-May - I Want To Be Happy [Omega #OR 811]  NB it's 2nd track @ 2:55 on clip below 1st track is 'Little Girl'  NB Omega 818 is dated 1967 so guessing this must be 66/67? ... Cody Michaels was 1967

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2020 at 18:46, Merve said:

The last nighter at St Ives was October 77 & The Servicemen was uncovered before then, so I would say summer of 77 for that tape too

Thanks for confirming when St Ives ended as couldn't recall exactly .... but didn't they run a few all-nighters / all-dayers in 1978 also after it had 'officially' closed?

Servicemen still one of my favourites .... hasn't been 'hampered' by being in Top 500 .... although it should have been!  Apparently only 200 'originals' believed to have been pressed.

The last one I can find that sold listed on Popsike (Feb 2018) was autographed by Larry Banks and sold for £866 (which seems quite cheap to me for such a rare record and also signed by one of the members (if of course the signature is legit) ?)

https://www.popsike.com/Northern-Soul-45-SERVICEMEN-Are-You-Angry-WIND-HIT-HEAR/323064650227.html

UPDATE found this great article by Chalky:

... and another Servicemen thread here:

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

16 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Thanks for confirming when St Ives ended as couldn't recall exactly .... but didn't they run a few all-nighters / all-dayers in 1978 also after it had 'officially' closed?

Servicemen still one of my favourites .... hasn't been 'hampered' by being in Top 500 .... although it should have been!  Apparently only 200 'originals' believed to have been pressed.

The last one I can find that sold listed on Popsike (Feb 2018) was autographed by Larry Banks and sold for £866 (which seems quite cheap to me for such a rare record and also signed by one of the members (if of course the signature is legit) ?)

https://www.popsike.com/Northern-Soul-45-SERVICEMEN-Are-You-Angry-WIND-HIT-HEAR/323064650227.html

UPDATE found this great article by Chalky:

... and another Servicemen thread here:

Hi Soulster22

The St Ives 2nd anniversary due to be held in November 77 was shiffted to The Wirrina in Peterborough. It opened again for all dayers in early 79 but it was around 83/84 before they had any further allnighters there. By that time the moment was lost as Stafford was in full swing so it never really took off as before.

Agree about The Sevicemen. Great records from them & don't think I have ever held a proper copy of Are You Angry let alone come close to owning one !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!