Credit query, Arthur Conley, Otis Redding

Its just an anorak thing for me (and perhaps others)

Arthur Conley first sang Where You Lead Me / I'm A Stranger as below on Ru-Jac, both sides being re-titled on Jotis (I believe the are all different takes as well)

I found this info on the web which explains a lot.

"Wanting to reunite with his father, Conley moved to Baltimore, where he joined Harold Holt's band. Holt's manager recorded them in 1965, and allowed Arthur to sing two tunes at the session."

"Just as Holt's record with Arthur's vocal came off the presses, Otis Redding came to town, and Holt's manager gave him a copy. Redding managed to listen past the ham-fisted production and liked the young singer. He was making plans to start his own label, Jotis, and decided Arthur Conley would be his first signing. He arranged to have them cut a couple of tunes at Stax, which prompted a lawsuit from Harold Holt's manager. Otis decided it was time to manage Conley himself and met him for the first time early in 1967. A couple of weeks later, they were in the FAME Studios in Alabama."

I am interested to see the credits, which I guess would have explained some of the above, but who was "Hoke", does anyone know please ?

soul Harold Holt A

soul Harold B

soul Arhur A

soul Arthur B

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Its just an anorak thing for me (and perhaps others)

Arthur Conley first sang Where You Lead Me / I'm A Stranger as below on Ru-Jac, both sides being re-titled on Jotis (I believe the are all different takes as well)

I found this info on the web which explains a lot.

"Wanting to reunite with his father, Conley moved to Baltimore, where he joined Harold Holt's band. Holt's manager recorded them in 1965, and allowed Arthur to sing two tunes at the session."

"Just as Holt's record with Arthur's vocal came off the presses, Otis Redding came to town, and Holt's manager gave him a copy. Redding managed to listen past the ham-fisted production and liked the young singer. He was making plans to start his own label, Jotis, and decided Arthur Conley would be his first signing. He arranged to have them cut a couple of tunes at Stax, which prompted a lawsuit from Harold Holt's manager. Otis decided it was time to manage Conley himself and met him for the first time early in 1967. A couple of weeks later, they were in the FAME Studios in Alabama."

I am interested to see the credits, which I guess would have explained some of the above, but who was "Hoke", does anyone know please ?

when posting quotes/snippets from other website can you post a link to the actual site where you got it from please

thanks

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

when posting quotes/snippets from other website can you post a link to the actual site where you got it from please

thanks

Sorry Mike

NPR "The Mysterious Case of Arthur Conley, Otis Redding's Protege"

https://www.npr.org/2014/10/28/359613658/the-mysterious-case-of-arthur-conley-otis-reddings-protege

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

"Where You Lead Me" has got a BMI entry crediting Arthur Conley and Rufus Mitchell (Ru-Jac owner) as songwriters. 

Also one entry crediting Conley/Redding.

"Hoke" might be a pseudonym for Rufus Mitchell.

Or it's "Holt" mis-spelled.

K/L and E/T are pretty close together on a keyboard/typewriter. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!