Jump to content

Popcorn Records


Recommended Posts

Guest Shufflin
Posted

Some of the Belgian popcorn stuff really appeals to me and there are lots tracks that x over between popcorn and rare soul scenes, any popcorn tracks you particularly like?

these are 2 records currently getting spins at home

 

 

 

soul popcorn

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 51
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

love this....    

This thread reminded me I had a file of downloaded Popcorn from when I first became aware of it quite a few years ago, by coincidence one of the tunes from then I bought this week, not this one which

Excellent choice 😎 My favourite side  

Posted Images

Posted

Besides the obvious ones  (Kurt Harris, Betty O'brien, Sam Fletcher), I

like this 45 a lot!  I think both sides were played ( probably slowed 

down though) on the Popcorn scene - 

 

soul walk

soul hurt

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, The Yank said:

Besides the obvious ones  (Kurt Harris, Betty O'brien, Sam Fletcher), I

like this 45 a lot!  I think both sides were played ( probably slowed 

down though) on the Popcorn scene - 

 

soul walk

soul hurt

Excellent choice 😎

My favourite side

 

soul LH

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
Posted (edited)

Danny Forrest never heard that before very nice 👍

Edited by Shufflin
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Scootboy said:

Excellent choice 😎

My favourite side

 

soul LH

Gets a few spins at our do's. Got it on the other 'Gina' Label. Excellent.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

This thread reminded me I had a file of downloaded Popcorn from when I first became aware of it quite a few years ago, by coincidence one of the tunes from then I bought this week, not this one which I can imagine Chuck Jackson doing a great job on.

 

 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Someone, please define "Popcorn"...

 

soul POPCORN

reference: popcornoldies.com

Edited by Zanetti
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Johnny Jones said:

Another one I've been spinning over the last few months, superb. 

 

If you were to play this at a Popcorn party, you'd need to pitch it down. The point is to play records at a consistent down-tempo beat, and even Milt Grayson's gem is too fast as is.

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
58 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

 

soul POPCORN

reference: popcornoldies.com

Thanks, Zanetti. I should have been more specific and asked what people here think Popcorn is. I get the impression that a lot of people think Popcorn is just mid-tempo tunes, but it's actually about playing them at a much slower beat than many realise.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Johnny Jones said:

Another favourite, Bobby Day - Kings Highway 

 

Another one that would be pitched down when played at a Popcorn party...

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

As Russ suspected, I thought Popcorn was a standard mid-tempo, sweet/cheesy, teeny pop take on what we call Northern Soul. I knew nothing about the pitching down business. However, to my ears at least, it sucks the life out of the Milt Grayson song. 

Amongst others, I have Vinnie Monte - I Don’t Have The Heart To Tell Her and Rick Fury - I’m So In Love With You. I’m not sure if they qualify as Popcorn now though. 

I’m guessing that Tommy Frontera - Leading Lady is a record that straddles the line between Northern and Popcorn. 🤔

And I thought Northern Soul was difficult to define to the great unwashed!

I’ll get me coat...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Soul16 said:

As Russ suspected, I thought Popcorn was a standard mid-tempo, sweet/cheesy, teeny pop take on what we call Northern Soul. I knew nothing about the pitching down business. However, to my ears at least, it sucks the life out of the Milt Grayson song. 

Amongst others, I have Vinnie Monte - I Don’t Have The Heart To Tell Her and Rick Fury - I’m So In Love With You. I’m not sure if they qualify as Popcorn now though. 

I’m guessing that Tommy Frontera - Leading Lady is a record that straddles the line between Northern and Popcorn. 🤔

And I thought Northern Soul was difficult to define to the great unwashed!

I’ll get me coat...

I wouldn't slow down Milt Grayson either, I've got loads of popcorn stuff I play out and mostly play as is, just one or two I might pitch down a tad (Nat Wright - Fantasy which I posted being one). A few need pitching up a bit too, it's a minefield 🤔. Vinnie Monte a great record. At our Do's (Something Different Soul Club), Stopped putting Northern Soul on the flyers a few years ago, Soul, R&B & Popcorn + more, Gives the D.J's room to play what they want, seems to be working though, just into our 6th year. I like the popcorn stuff because it's difficult to define , a lot of musical genres in there - Soul, R&B, Jazz, Ska, Teen, Rock and Roll, Country, Exotic Etc. Etc. 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 07/02/2020 at 18:01, The Yank said:

Besides the obvious ones  (Kurt Harris, Betty O'brien, Sam Fletcher), I

like this 45 a lot!  I think both sides were played ( probably slowed 

down though) on the Popcorn scene - 

 

soul walk

soul hurt

Agreed.

soul FB_IMG_1528252203314

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 06/02/2020 at 18:32, Shufflin said:

Some of the Belgian popcorn stuff really appeals to me and there are lots tracks that x over between popcorn and rare soul scenes, any popcorn tracks you particularly like?

these are 2 records currently getting spins at home

 

 

 

soul popcorn

Are any of the previous listed tunes ' rare soul' ? Even in the broadest sense?

I hope popcorn stays popcorn and does not infiltrate rare soul....borrowing the odd tune is ok, but never the Twain shall meet.

Ed

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Are any of the previous listed tunes ' rare soul' ? Even in the broadest sense?

I hope popcorn stays popcorn and does not infiltrate rare soul....borrowing the odd tune is ok, but never the Twain shall meet.

Ed

In the sense of 'genre', I can liken 'Popcorn', and see some similarities, to 'Northern Soul'. Certainly.. not all records played on their respective scenes are anything remotely close to baring even a resemblence (or possess a single ounce) of 'Soul' !!  The appeal of such records laying more, I belive, within the tempo of these non-soul tunes - a common but very dominant factor relevant to both these music scenes

The actual 'Soul' records enjoyed on the Popcorn Scene - the likes of the above Milt Grayson on Derby or Roy Hamilton's 'Reach Out For Me', as examples, most certainly also enjoy recognition under the banner of 'Rare Soul'.. But, personally, my preference is to put them in a bracket I refer to as 'Transitional Soul'.. tunes that are in the throes of crossing over from, say, 1959 and the end of the doo-wop era, through to around 1964 - when the demand for a tempo that was more up-beat & danceable became more the trend

A personal favourite of mine from the period - and fitting the glove of all three genres of 'Popcorn', 'Rare Soul', and 'Transitionsl Soul', is this one.. and another 'Kev Fev Special' - a geezer with such great overall taste in Soul Music, and an incredible sense of foresight !!.. Enjoy....

 

  • Up vote 1
  • Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Guest Polyvelts
Posted

co written and produced by legendary Joey Jefferson ! 
I remember Ian used to play it at the 100 club, at 7 in the morning it would just about crack you up !

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

When I first started listening to popcorn I was unaware of the pitching up and down to get the required beat until I came across this, those of us of a certain age may remember our parents listening to Anne Shelton, when I saw the name and listened to the tune I thought that doesn't sound right ,I then searched the title and found the original, posting as an example of pitching for those unfamiliar with popcorn not because I particularly like the tune, popcorn version first as I heard them.

 

 

 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Polyvelts said:

co written and produced by legendary Joey Jefferson ! 
I remember Ian used to play it at the 100 club, at 7 in the morning it would just about crack you up !

That’s not Popcorn at all. Not unless you pitched it down a lot.

And while people associate Popcorn with slowing down the tempo of tunes, it also works the other way - such as in this speeded up recording of Big Dee Irwin’s classic beat ballad.

 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

And while people associate Popcorn with slowing down the tempo of tunes, it also works the other way - such as in this speeded up recording of Big Dee Irwin’s classic beat ballad.

One of my all time favourite tunes Russ but don't care for it speeded up at all, thanks for posting an example of pitching up.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
Posted
20 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I hope popcorn stays popcorn and does not infiltrate rare soul....borrowing the odd tune is ok, but never the Twain shall meet.

the Gil Bernal one sounds great slightly pitched up (yes I know), it fits well in a NS set of 45's (obviously mix to next record before the dramatic ending)

quite a few NS tunes get played on the popcorn scene and vice versa, the Twain have already met 🙂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Good popcorn will stand it’s corner in any Atmospheric Soul club against any other Soul music I always liked to play a few popcorn records in my spots if I felt the audience were ready for it and usually got a good reception dancing and listening it has a more vital part of Soul History than it gets credit for, I lived in Germany early seventies and it together with Club soul Stax and Atlantic ect was the backbone of the German Soul scene at their Soul nights and all nights besides obviously the German punters there were plenty of American Servicemen at the venues,British Squadies too great times of course we didn’t call it popcorn then it was good music for a great scene.

KR

ML

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Not in my Top 10 of Popcorn but, parts of  this sounds like it  could have been in 

a James Bond movie. From 1956 - 

 

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Shufflin said:

the Gil Bernal one sounds great slightly pitched up (yes I know), it fits well in a NS set of 45's (obviously mix to next record before the dramatic ending)

quite a few NS tunes get played on the popcorn scene and vice versa, the Twain have already met 🙂

I agree....northern soul and popcorn at the fringes overlap.

Particularly the ' wigan factor'.

But I did not say northern soul, I said rare soul...and never the Twain shall meet.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
Posted
28 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

But I did not say northern soul, I said rare soul...and never the Twain shall meet.

depends what you mean by rare soul, Tony Clarke, A Wrong Man is a popcorn scene record and rare, happy to be educated though

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

depends what you mean by rare soul, Tony Clarke, A Wrong Man is a popcorn scene record and rare, happy to be educated though

I'm not familiar with the rarity of Tony Clarke, the wrong man. Was it a chess release? Maybe I need educating.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
Posted

Ed - £1,000 plus

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
21 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

In the sense of 'genre', I can liken 'Popcorn', and see some similarities, to 'Northern Soul'. Certainly.. not all records played on their respective scenes are anything remotely close to baring even a resemblence (or possess a single ounce) of 'Soul' !!  The appeal of such records laying more, I belive, within the tempo of these non-soul tunes - a common but very dominant factor relevant to both these music scenes

The actual 'Soul' records enjoyed on the Popcorn Scene - the likes of the above Milt Grayson on Derby or Roy Hamilton's 'Reach Out For Me', as examples, most certainly also enjoy recognition under the banner of 'Rare Soul'.. But, personally, my preference is to put them in a bracket I refer to as 'Transitional Soul'.. tunes that are in the throes of crossing over from, say, 1959 and the end of the doo-wop era, through to around 1964 - when the demand for a tempo that was more up-beat & danceable became more the trend

A personal favourite of mine from the period - and fitting the glove of all three genres of 'Popcorn', 'Rare Soul', and 'Transitionsl Soul', is this one.. and another 'Kev Fev Special' - a geezer with such great overall taste in Soul Music, and an incredible sense of foresight !!.. Enjoy....

 

the other side does it more for me

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Love this track.

Baby Washington - Hey lonely one

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, The Yank said:

Not in my Top 10 of Popcorn but, parts of  this sounds like it  could have been in 

a James Bond movie. From 1956 - 

 

Yep - exactly!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
12 hours ago, Russoul1 said:

one I like from my collection

 

I Really like this one. Thanks for posting it.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 08/02/2020 at 02:41, Zanetti said:

 

soul POPCORN

reference: popcornoldies.com

This says Troy Dodds sold for $935,000? 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I heard this is considered a popcorn tune... (I spin it at rare soul nights)...

 

 

 

 

Edited by Ljblanken
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Does anyone have a proper definition of what constitutes a 'popcorn' record?

Here's what is states on wiki ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_(music_style)

... which doesn't really help that much.  For me it's a bit like crossover, hard to define but you know it when you hear it. ... generally pre 1964/65, slow/mid tempo many have a sort of cha- cha-cha beat?

 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

One I loved from the first time I heard it, a million miles away from Northern or any kind of Soul, there's a great video somewhere showing them dancing to this, 

 

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 23:19, Ljblanken said:

This says Troy Dodds sold for $935,000? 

That'll be $935.00 then.. which is more conducive with the price this has sold for previously - and particularly the issue, before copies turned up

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  1. Popcorn, Rnb & Popcorn 45s For Sale
    Record Sales by RnB Rookie on Wed 20 Mar 2013
    • 1 / 915
    • RnB Rookie on 20 Mar 2013
    • 3 / 961
    • piloterec on 24 Jan 2014
  2. 15 Records For Sale...r&b, Popcorn, Garage, Funk, Soul
    Record Sales by frank silver on Fri 02 Sep 2011
    • 1 / 681
    • frank silver on 02 Sep 2011
  3. Northern, Popcorn & R&b Records For Sale
    Sale Websites by Eric C on Sun 10 Jul 2011
    • 1 / 416
    • Eric C on 10 Jul 2011
  4. 41 R&b Latin Popcorn Soul Records On Ebay
    Sale Websites by Scott Simpson on Sat 12 Feb 2011
    • 2 / 299
    • Scott Simpson on 17 Feb 2011
  5. A Few Records For Sale. R&b Popcorn Northern Soul
    Sale Websites by mojorecords on Tue 20 Oct 2009
    • 1 / 851
    • mojorecords on 20 Oct 2009

Related Soul Music Links


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.