Will Smoking Ban Improve Venues?

Blake H

For it or against it? Either way it will soon be a reality, I guess its going to be the smokers verses the non-smokers and as an ex-smoker (usually the most critical) Im all for it. Having just attended the Hilton weekender in Blackpool we commented that next year all the smokers we could see (and that was quite a lot) would have to go outside at the next one in 2008.

Pity the smokers if your venue is up a few flights of stairs as some are. How will this impact at your venue??

BH

Social source share

• Replies 152
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm up for no smoking venues/pubs.

Ok I go to a do have a dance get hot/sweety get home clothes straight in the washing machine quick shower and off to bed... but the jacket I wore from the car to the venue.. put on the back of a chair... put it on and back to the car.. unless had a good dance then don't put jacket on as don't want to get it dirty.. STINKS of old ashtrays.. disgusting.. sorry I know people enjoy it, its only my view..

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

dirty filthy habit can't wait til july (yeah reformed somker packed it up 30 years ago)

gfm 96.6fm

talcum powder soul

www.gloucesterfm.com

every wednesday7pm-9pm

in the gloucester area 96.6fm

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

I am smoker but the ban is making quit so i am all for it

I am hoping it will help me quit too and that means more energy so more dancing and more money so more records (wife permitting of course)

As Mischief said and i agree - no more smelly clothes too.

Social source share

Couple of people I know are trying to give up this year.. ones on nicorette gum the other has a plastic fag.. it seems to be working for him.. he can do the old holding of the fag to hes mouth etc.. the routine bit.. anyway good luck to all of you trying to give up.. try and stick with it..

Social source share

Be interesting to see what promoters think of this.

My personal view is that some venues will suffer while others with access to balconys etc will benefit from it.

As a co promoter i think it's ridiculous as it wasn't in the current governments manifesto & i'm sure quite a few people won't vote for them next time round.

Would have agreed with it if a bit of common sense had been used, for example a ban in places that serve food or bars with more than 1 room having a smoking area & a smoke free area.

There are 13 million smokers in Britian & the average smoker gets through 20 a day, most popular brand is B&H at about £5 a pack of which £4 is tax. That adds up to a whopping 18.9 billion pounds.

If the government really want us to stop perhaps we all should but who's going to pay for the shortfall in revenue?

The non smokers, thats who. VAT on kids clothes, another increase in fuel duty, couple of pence in the pound on income tax? It's gotta come from somewhere.

If the government really want us to stop perhaps it should be banned outright but somehow i don't think thats going to happen.

Think about it...

Social source share

Be interesting to see what promoters think of this.

My personal view is that some venues will suffer while others with access to balconys etc will benefit from it.

As a co promoter i think it's ridiculous as it wasn't in the current governments manifesto & i'm sure quite a few people won't vote for them next time round.

Would have agreed with it if a bit of common sense had been used, for example a ban in places that serve food or bars with more than 1 room having a smoking area & a smoke free area.

There are 13 million smokers in Britian & the average smoker gets through 20 a day, most popular brand is B&H at about £5 a pack of which £4 is tax. That adds up to a whopping 18.9 billion pounds.

If the government really want us to stop perhaps we all should but who's going to pay for the shortfall in revenue?

The non smokers, thats who. VAT on kids clothes, another increase in fuel duty, couple of pence in the pound on income tax? It's gotta come from somewhere.

If the government really want us to stop perhaps it should be banned outright but somehow i don't think thats going to happen.

Think about it...

:lol:

Social source share

For it or against it? Either way it will soon be a reality, I guess its going to be the smokers verses the non-smokers and as an ex-smoker (usually the most critical) Im all for it. Having just attended the Hilton weekender in Blackpool we commented that next year all the smokers we could see (and that was quite a lot) would have to go outside at the next one in 2008.

Pity the smokers if your venue is up a few flights of stairs as some are. How will this impact at your venue??

BH

Hi There

I'm a smoker trying very hard to pack in before the ban comes in.

It's hard, but right, it will be against the law ( no different to those who sell promo copies of records oops) but I will try really hard.

Pete

Social source share

Yes.

The lost revenue in tax is an interesting one..... and it's not easy to explain away by those who insist the government is trying to tax us more is it ? :lol:

The money we won't have to spend on all the treatment for smoking related illnesses will go someway to make up a shortfall I suspect.

The time has come that the other side of the population gets a turn instead of those who do things for purely selfish and often totally unsociable reasons.

Now, onto getting all the wankers in London who drive what is a ten minute walk just because they 'can', all the people who think that just because they have kids it gives them some special right ...like no one had kids before?

Social source share

Yes.

The lost revenue in tax is an interesting one..... and it's not easy to explain away by those who insist the government is trying to tax us more is it ? :lol:

The money we won't have to spend on all the treatment for smoking related illnesses will go someway to make up a shortfall I suspect.

The time has come that the other side of the population gets a turn instead of those who do things for purely selfish and often totally unsociable reasons.

Now, onto getting all the wankers in London who drive what is a ten minute walk just because they 'can', all the people who think that just because they have kids it gives them some special right ...like no one had kids before?

The cost to the health service is about 1 billion a year Simon.

As for it being anti-social in days gone by it used to be anti-social to not smoke so who decides these things?

Totally agreed on the pointless need to drive everywhere though. Always makes me laugh when folks jump in there gas guzzling monsters & drive to the gym. What do they do when they get there? Jump on a bloody running machine. Why not just run to the gym?

Another thing, why don't kids walk to school any more?

Social source share

Hi There

I'm a smoker trying very hard to pack in before the ban comes in.

It's hard, but right, it will be against the law ( no different to those who sell promo copies of records oops) but I will try really hard.

Pete

You could always smoke bootlegged fags Pete :lol:

Social source share

Yes.

I think you will find that the revenue in smoking far out ways by a profound stupid amount than it does cost non-smokers, the revenue from smoking supports the NHS, hell i pay a silly amount of money to the NHS every week tax from my fags, does that mean smokers should not be allowed treatment??? because they keep the NHS going think about it.........

Social source share

we're getting used to it in Ireland. At times we had as many outside the venue as inside, but seems people are getting used to not smoking for a few hours at least (like going to cinema, flying) It deffo helps to have easy access to the outside as expect a fair bit of pain when it starts.

As for taxes raised being more than costs to Health services? It isnt meant to is it? The following is a summary of some of the other downsides of smoking from ASH in UK.

• Lost productivity costs to business -- from smoking related illness
  • Smoking causes fires and accidents - most notoriously the Kings Cross Underground fire in 1987 in which 31 people died.
  • Costs of extra space for smoking rooms, ventilation, redecorating and cleaning inc. clothes
  • Impact on non-smokers. Passive smoking causes several hundred, and maybe several thousand deaths in non-smokers. 17,000 under-5s are hospitalised each year as a result of respiratory conditions caused by their parents smoking5.
  • The 'social cost' -- or the value that society places on life. Government cost-benefit analysis for road accidents attributes a value of around £800,000 for each road accident death6. Though the figures are not strictly comparable, multiplying this by the smoking-related death toll of 120,000 per year gives £96 billion per year, and some indication of the scale of the social costs (i.e. the expenditure deemed justifiable in other areas of public policy to avoid loss of life).

Appreciate for some its more of the nanny state but equally not everyone smokes. Maybe we should tax foods such as baked beans higher for its contribution to increased global methane

Social source share

As a heavy smoker who stupidly has no intentions of giving up I have to agree with Danny regarding the point that it's worked in Dublin. Love to know how the Temple Bar pub gets round it tho Danny?

Have even been to a few events on the South Coast where apart from a few whinges its been relatively successful (Eastbourne). The Italian events can be flexible, thankfully!!

I think that it can be successful depending on the layout of the venue i.e how close is the smoking area to where the atmosphere is.

It's a well known fact amongst DJ's that smoke that the smoking increases when spinning and is even done without realising it (ask the Eastbourne promoters :lol: ) that used to be the hardest part for me.

I totally sympathise with non-smokers but I wonder how many of the staunch anti smokers within our scene would attend an event which due to exposed loopholes allowed smoking after the ban is enforced.

It's quite amusing to envisage some situations come July. Is smoking going to be allowed out of the back door at the 100 club and if so will Kenny's BDK title change to Smoke Marshall Ken? If not then can you really imagine Messrs Rimmer and Smith (Mick) walking up them stairs everytime they want a tab and having the extra worry of trusting someone to look after their sales boxes to boot.

Really is a contentious issue but unfortunately one thats imminent and unavoidable.

Social source share

As a heavy smoker who stupidly has no intentions of giving up I have to agree with Danny regarding the point that it's worked in Dublin. Love to know how the Temple Bar pub gets round it tho Danny?

Have even been to a few events on the South Coast where apart from a few whinges its been relatively successful (Eastbourne). The Italian events can be flexible, thankfully!!

I think that it can be successful depending on the layout of the venue i.e how close is the smoking area to where the atmosphere is.

It's a well known fact amongst DJ's that smoke that the smoking increases when spinning and is even done without realising it (ask the Eastbourne promoters :lol: ) that used to be the hardest part for me.

I totally sympathise with non-smokers but I wonder how many of the staunch anti smokers within our scene would attend an event which due to exposed loopholes allowed smoking after the ban is enforced.

It's quite amusing to envisage some situations come July. Is smoking going to be allowed out of the back door at the 100 club and if so will Kenny's BDK title change to Smoke Marshall Ken? If not then can you really imagine Messrs Rimmer and Smith (Mick) walking up them stairs everytime they want a tab and having the extra worry of trusting someone to look after their sales boxes to boot.

Really is a contentious issue but unfortunately one thats imminent and unavoidable.

No chance,you`ll all have to go out front,its a noise issue with two flats above the 100club,who i`m sure will be flexible not(Americans),so sorry in advance,but if i want a fag(bifter),of coarse it`ll be ok for me. :wave:

Edited by ken
Social source share

The cost to the health service is about 1 billion a year Simon.

As for it being anti-social in days gone by it used to be anti-social to not smoke so who decides these things?

Did it used to be anti-social not to smoke Martin? Or is it true that smoking has always been considered anti social amongst those who dont smoke, but the non smokers position has not been considered and its just that people are starting to use common sense, the general mind set of the country has changed, and the elected government is not bowing down to a noisy and powerful lobby who are backed by big business ?

Social source share

Difficult one.... For someone who has smoked since 14 and used to smoking outside in all weather's (only smoker in family - partners etc ) I can see both side's.

Personally I am again trying to stop n have managed to this week - until the weekend, then I'll have maybe 30. I seem to have developed an allergy to smoke. lol.

Seriously, I noticed after stopping smoking (managed to stop for 8 yrs) I started to suffer quite badly from Sinusitus after a soul nite/niter especially as I danced all nite making me breath deeply - the only time I came into contact with ciggerette smoke. Circumstances in my life 2 yrs ago sadly made me turn to my old loving friend the ciggie, and apart from venue's I smoke outside, the sinus trouble still exist's. I enjoy smoking, but have alway's been conscious of those around me that don't smoke.

I have bought something that has shocked me more than anything, will post up hopefully tonite - through out the 70's in school we were shown photo's of a smoker's lung etc, but went in one ear n out the other. What I have to show cannot so easy be denied.

Smoke free venue's - IMO a good idea - dancing would keep you fit, if not for all the smoke you take in with each deep breath, and I smoke so many more than I actually want just for the sake of it. If I had to go outside at a venue, like I do through out the week then non smoker's and smoker's can all be happy.

Karen

Social source share

Give it up - I used Zyban to help and you can get this from the doctors - forget the patches, all you are doing is changing the delivery method of your drug of choice and you havent really stopped.

Seriously, i'm as weak willed as the next bloke - if I can do it so can you.

Zyban....the memories! I was prescribed that to give up smoking and yes it worked brilliantly right until the point where I developed an allergic reaction to the drug and spent 2 weeks in hospital in a lot of pain!

Social source share

Having just run our 1st event @ Rockingham hall M1 Jnc 36 in January & it being a council owned property with a no smoking policy, we were forced to advertise it as ' A NO SMOKING VENUE ' from the start & not change policy in July.

We had a full house, [ turned a few away !! soz ] & i have to say that EVERYONE was fine about the situation.

The smokers went to the covered doorway for their ' fag ' & took a short break & enjoyed a chat with other soulies [ a sort of social gathering !! lol ] the non smokers [me included ] had a much more enjoyable experience, of a great night, without the stink & streaming eyes we'd normally get @ most venues !

In my opinion as a promoter & punter the no smoking ban is not detrimental on a good night out, everyone can still enjoy themselves & the atmosphere [ air ] is better for all concerned.

1 note to mention. We'll need to put 2 bins with sand in, outside the doorway next time, the amount of tab ends around the doorway was a tramps heaven ! There were loads !

MORT

www.60sSOUL.2tunes.com

ROCKINGHAM HALL 1st SATURDAY OF THE MONTH

Social source share

Some quite forceful views from the non-smoking lobby and as a smoker I wouldn't feel welcome in a non-smoking environment run for their benefit. We'll still stink and have nobody to talk to when we come back from having a fag outside. I for one will be giving it a miss.

I guess then the holier than thou brigade can turn up in their cars[pollution], drink to their heart's content [health risk] and indulge in the artificial stimulant [childish bravado supporting criminality and boy do some of you look stupid under the influence] of their choice.

ROD

Social source share

Some quite forceful views from the non-smoking lobby and as a smoker I wouldn't feel welcome in a non-smoking environment run for their benefit. We'll still stink and have nobody to talk to when we come back from having a fag outside. I for one will be giving it a miss.

I guess then the holier than thou brigade can turn up in their cars[pollution], drink to their heart's content [health risk] and indulge in the artificial stimulant [childish bravado supporting criminality and boy do some of you look stupid under the influence] of their choice.

ROD

I was just wondering how is it holier than thou not to want to have lung cancer, not to want all of your clothes and hair to stink of fags and to not want your eyes to sting for half of the night until they get used to OTHER PEOPLES habit. If someone is being an idiot through drinking or drugs you can just walk away, no harm done.. You cant however walk away from cigarette smoke unless you leave the venue and miss a night of much loved music.

If you are worried no one will want to talk to you because you stink bring six changes of clothes and some toothpaste and change after every few fags :thumbsup:

Anyway well done for not owning any transport never drinking and not partaking in any artificial stimulants (apart from cancer sticks that is.)

Social source share

ROD

Nothing to do with being holier than thou Rod...everyone has a choice including you. You can still smoke yourself to death, you just cant do it inside and risk other peoples health too.

Some people might like to shit on carpets and dancefloors but the general opinion is that it's not a nice thing to do, so the acceptable thing is to shit in a designated place, i.e. a toilet.

Social source share

I always thought that venues were ran for the enjoyment of the music. If people are not willing to go because they can't have a smoke, then I guess we know where their priorities lie.

I've copied the following from another website, but it's been taken from some of those joke workplace signs that you get at most seaside resorts. You'll get the idea anyway.

So I said to the smoker, "the residue of your habit is that acrid smoke, which you blow around with a generous and carefree attitude. The residue of my habit, drinking, is wet and warm........would you mind if I used your generous and carefree attitude to share some of it with you?" - no comment from the smoker. Yes, it should definitely be banned.

Social source share

I was just wondering how is it holier than thou not to want to have lung cancer, not to want all of your clothes and hair to stink of fags and to not want your eyes to sting for half of the night until they get used to OTHER PEOPLES habit. If someone is being an idiot through drinking or drugs you can just walk away, no harm done.. You cant however walk away from cigarette smoke unless you leave the venue and miss a night of much loved music.

If you are worried no one will want to talk to you because you stink bring six changes of clothes and some toothpaste and change after every few fags :rolleyes:

Anyway well done for not owning any transport never drinking and not partaking in any artificial stimulants (apart from cancer sticks that is.)

You're wasting your time with some of the smokers on here Donna, I, as usual, have eventually had to reply on this same old recycled subject due to the sheer arrogance of some of our nicotine addicted friends! The same old arguments comparing the smoking issue to drinking and drug habits that simply don't wash (unlike our smelly smoky clothes....)...Maybe I should go out and spend the whole night farting if people don't think sitting in a smelly room's offensive :thumbsup:

Social source share

Donna,Im pretty sure I said I wouldn't bother going and putting you through it.

Unfortunately I don't have that choice when I walk down the street and I'm surrounded by car fumes.

Of course I'd not be trying to ban cars.

You can walk away from drunks. Again unfortunately over the past 54 years I've met my share of drunks that you can't walk away from. Have you had a look at the relationship between drugs and crime. I know it's acceptable on the Northern Scene and a bit of speed or coke never killed anybody!!!! However if I want to be in the same room with irresponsible people who think half hourly trips to the gents and then careering around the room like a whirling dervish is having a good time I'll join a kiddy's playgroup.

So while it's still legal I'll smoke on the odd occasions I go out and when it's not I'll stay away. Of course two rooms would be an alternative but then compromise is not on the agenda with this particular bete noir.

ROD

Social source share

You're wasting your time with some of the smokers on here Donna, I, as usual, have eventually had to reply on this same old recycled subject due to the sheer arrogance of some of our nicotine addicted friends! The same old arguments comparing the smoking issue to drinking and drug habits that simply don't wash (unlike our smelly smoky clothes....)...Maybe I should go out and spend the whole night farting if people don't think sitting in a smelly room's offensive :thumbsup:

As long as you say parden thats ok with me.

Im a smoker and to be honest i cant wait for a ban as it will slow and hopefully stop my smoking and then i will get fitter and hopefully be able to dance more and be better of financially so more records for me,

if i had a choice between the socialising ie- nights out with friends or smoking, i wont be siiting indoors put it that way, i need my nights out and the music and atmosphere as its what gets me through the week,

roll on july 1st if thats the date of course.

Bearsy, (hopefully soon to be ex smoker)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

a designated place,

Designated places for smoking will be illegal. And if it used to be perfectly permissable to crap on the carpet, how would any interfering busy body have the right to suddenly tell you to stop and use the toilet? :thumbsup: I think I'm confused now. :rolleyes:

One thing I've noticed in a lot of non-smoking pubs, the places often really stink! yes.gif Stale beer, chips and the bogs usually. Thankfully we smokers used to manfully disguise the disgusting aroma of a poorly kept pub, at great personal expense and whilst simultaneously providing a bigger subsidy to the NHS than any of your do gooder "telethons" (I hate that word) ever could. And with no ashtrays there will be nowhere for non-smokers to put their empty crisp packets. Some pubs probably survive through the sale of fags in their vending machines.

Social source share

as a smoker I wouldn't feel welcome in a non-smoking environment run for their benefit.

Point missed I think, there will be no "special" non-smoking events, all will be non-smoking

I for one will be giving it a miss.

Looks like you won't being going out much then :thumbsup:

ROD

Loll

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Maybe I should go out and spend the whole night farting if people don't think sitting in a smelly room's offensive :thumbsup:

Good idea, apparently it reduces the risk of spontaneous combustion (according to South Park).

Like Bearsy I'm giving up this year. I shall be in a foul mood for about five years. No change there really. Hopefully the government will soon be banning transfats and charging fatties more tax to make up for the lost fag revenue. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Designated places for smoking will be illegal. And if it used to be perfectly permissable to crap on the carpet, how would any interfering busy body have the right to suddenly tell you to stop and use the toilet? :thumbsup: I think I'm confused now. :rolleyes:

One thing I've noticed in a lot of non-smoking pubs, the places often really stink! yes.gif Stale beer, chips and the bogs usually. Thankfully we smokers used to manfully disguise the disgusting aroma of a poorly kept pub, at great personal expense and whilst simultaneously providing a bigger subsidy to the NHS than any of your do gooder "telethons" (I hate that word) ever could. And with no ashtrays there will be nowhere for non-smokers to put their empty crisp packets. Some pubs probably survive through the sale of fags in their vending machines.

Not sure I understand Stuey..are they making 'outside' illegal?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Not sure I understand Stuey..are they making 'outside' illegal?

"outside" isn't providing a designated place, its just telling someone to go outside. They don't tell people to go outside for a crap. Not down South at least. :thumbsup:

And in any event this is just the beginning of even greater state interference, you mark my words. :rolleyes: It won't last though. Come the revolution I'll be smoking a nice fat cigar in a pub whilst watching Fuehrer Ken, Billy Liar, Pie Thief Prescott and that Scotsman who can't count being put up against the wall. smile.gif

Social source share

No I won't be going out much that's true but it doesn't bother me. If I want to socialise I have plenty of other opportunities and I did understand perfectly that it's a blanket ban.

Right now it's legal to smoke and unless it states clearly that it's a No Smoking area I am doing nothing wrong within the Law. Any arrogance is on the part of the non-smoking lobby who seem to think that their wishes and personal dislikes should take precedence over that.

I have my priorities. I will be flying to NY in Feb to dj at a mate's wedding so I won't be smoking for a lot of that period. However if I don't want to spend my money going out to northern clubs come July 1st I can't really see how that calls into question my enjoyment of the music.

Finally the residue of drink and drugs are street violence, car accidents, crowded A&E's, muggings and burglaries, litter and vomit over our streets.

ROD

Social source share

Sorry Stuey I misunderstood you. Outside is obviously not good enough for you then. You enjoy your stinky old cigar.

As you hero Winston famously said (allegedlly) -

'Choke choke, splutter good cigars these this you get a jolly good cough out of them, lacky, throw another peasant on the fire I'm feeling inadequate and need to show how superior I am'.

Personally I wouldn't smoke cigars if I were you though as apparently they've been proved to induce boughts of paranoia, predictability and something really unpleasant called 'Clarksons' disease in middle aged men and indirectly it funds Castro's crypto-Fascist Communist banana republic military dictatorship.

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

as a none smoker who as never smoked..i choose to go into the pub were people smoke and thats up to me. if it gets to smokey for my eyes i go outside.so people attending venues who smoke, will i think have to do the same to have a cig.....after all they are there for the music..i dont think events will suffer as once your hooked on this music there,s no patches to get you off

pete..

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Sorry Stuey I misunderstood you. Outside is obviously not good enough for you then. You enjoy your stinky old cigar.

As you hero Winston famously said (allegedlly) -

'Choke choke, splutter good cigars these this you get a jolly good cough out of them, lacky, throw another peasant on the fire I'm feeling inadequate and need to show how superior I am'.

Personally I wouldn't smoke cigars if I were you though as apparently they've been proved to induce boughts of paranoia, predictability and something really unpleasant called 'Clarksons' disease in middle aged men and indirectly it funds Castro's crypto-Fascist Communist banana republic military dictatorship.

Churchill lived to his late eighties though, didn't he, and drank a bottle of brandy a day, and achieved more than your average alfafa eating pinko leftie. I don't think you're quote was by Churchill, Alan B'stard probably, think he has gone Nu Labor?

Outside isn't good enough when many places could have offered designated smoking areas. And when I'm outside I just know that people will be talking about me behind my back. What are the symptoms of Clarksons disease?

BTW I'm not that big a Churchill fan, you're stereotyping me.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Churchill lived to his late eighties though, didn't he, and drank a bottle of brandy a day, and achieved more than your average alfafa eating pinko leftie. I don't think you're quote was by Churchill, Alan B'stard probably, think he has gone Nu Labor?

Outside isn't good enough when many places could have offered designated smoking areas. And when I'm outside I just know that people will be talking about me behind my back. What are the symptoms of Clarksons disease?

BTW I'm not that big a Churchill fan, you're stereotyping me.

Bless.

Was the 'drank six pint of brandy and smoke three hundered a day' schtick number 67 or number 68 from 'The Book Of Stock Answers' ?

Stereotyping ? Who me dear no dear.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Bless.

Was the 'drank six pint of brandy and smoke three hundered a day' schtick number 67 or number 68 from 'The Book Of Stock Answers' ?

Stereotyping ? Who me dear no dear.

I wasn't actually trying to raise that argument! Ah well. Bloke down the road from me, fit as a fiddle, ate only organic food, hardly ever drank, played non contact sports at every opportunity and worked as a yoga instructor. Got knocked down and killed by a bus while he was out training for a marathon. He'd have been better off sat at home having a fag and some pork pies. Probably still be alive now. Etc :lol:

Social source share

y'know, i've only just caught this thread even though i come on this forum every day!

i smoked roll ups for 10 years (without a filter) and sure, they always go out, but at least they don't have any of that shitty smelly sulpher in em to keep em burnin!

i stopped 4 years ago and truly never felt better, as my hair/clothes/breathe don't smell anymore (unless i have a curry! - yes, curry gets in your hair! :D ) even healthwise i feel better - no more coughing up ten tons of flem for 10 minutes every morning when brushing your teeth! :boxing:

but i do know what some peeps who have posted on here are saying regarding being a reformed smoker and that we are the worst; they are right, we are the worst - i just can't help myself sometimes even though i always said i'd never get like that!

it's like some evil demon who takes over you when you stop and makes you want to get away from ppl who smoke and to make sly comments about how their smoke is 'following' you!! and to waft your hands about like a demented person when a little bit of smoke comes near you! :D

i will truly be glad when this no smoking ban comes in and yes, some of my friends are trying to stop too as a result.

i can see from both sides of the coin, as having smoked myself i remember when i didn't want to give up and a bunch of wild horses wouldn't have stopped me tbh, but now i have, i welcome the ban. we all have a right to breathe fresh clean air and perhaps in town or walking on a busy main street it isn't that clean and fresh but i can always choose to walk down a not-so-busy main road where the traffic pollution isn't as bad, but when i go to a venue and people are smoking right next to me and the smoke is 'following me!' sure i can get up and move, but why the hell should i? why is it so one sided against the non-smoker? why is there 'non-smoking' areas in pubs and the rest of the pub is smoking? surely that should be the other way round?! :lol:

i'd rather be healthy and skint than to be rich and dying cos when your dead you could have all the money in the world but for all the good it will do you...

wAvy

Social source share

Any arrogance is on the part of the non-smoking lobby who seem to think that their wishes and personal dislikes should take precedence over that.

I have my priorities. I

How can you call not wanting to be bombarded by smoke a simple wish or dislike? - you obviously have never witnessed a close friend or relative slowly drowning in thier own lungs with smoking related cancer? if you are ever able to witness an active dynamic person turning slowly into a skeleton with no energy and constant pain then please do, it may change a few of your views about thinking its OK to pollute the lungs of non-smokers. Going on about binge drinkers or drug takers is a completely different issue and you are using it merely to mask the issue of effecting others with your own addiction.

(Dammit - this is DonnaD not Ady - he keeps hijacking my computer :lol: )

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

Go on then, I'll join in.

As a pub owner I will be directly affected by the ban, I think it is another example of nanny state interference that just isn't needed in any form. My pub has a smoking front bar with efficient air-cleaner, a non-smoking rear bar and a non smoking dining room. What exactly is wrong with that in terms of choice?

About 50% of my customers smoke, I've asked them what they would like to see done to accomodate them, some are giving up, most just give me stupid comments.

I don't think my trade will be affected too much as the smokers say they will still come to the pub and we are unopposed in the village but you never know. I do not believe that there is a massive untapped market of non-smokers who will suddenley rush out and use the pub, apart from initially those smug ones who like to view other people's miscomfort.

I will look forward to not having to clean the ash trays or pick fag ends from the toilets, hopefully the air cleaner will get rid of the smell of farts that are masked by the smoke.

I'm actually quite sure that most small country pubs like mine will just turn into restaurants or close over the next few years as beer drinking seems to be on the wane. My pub is on the market and most of the people who look at it seriously are chefs. Sad really.

I think in terms of Soul venues the smaller one's will suffer in the short term until people get used to the ban. People who smoke will pick and choose where they will go to if they cannot smoke, so the local soul night will see numbers down whereas the bigger venues on a weekend probably won't notice.

Anyway, off to open up

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

About 50% of my customers smoke,

Strange that because only 28% of UK populatuion smoke!!! Lets get real on this we are in the 21st centuary. It is a dirty, smelly etc etc habit and should only be carried out by consenting adults in private.

The comments about dog ends by doors is also interesting. What do smokers think happens to them? Anyone though of putting them in your pocket and taking home?

I remember one top DJ (I will not mention his name) putting his dog ends in a pint pot along with some dreggings of beer and a fair amount of fag ash. Pretty disgusting!!!

Edited by DazCymru
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!