What is the best Northern Soul price guide

Pablorally

Credit for the work he put in there and free to use but aren't a lot of these guide prices just fairyland.

I  just checked latest thing I bought off eBay, Bobby Williams "Its all over". VG++ £150 ! Cost me £20.44. M-

Obviously you can pick up bargains but I'd go with finishing prices on eBay [popsike] rather than a figure which seems to have been plucked out of the air.

In truth there isn't a best up to date guide. You need to check selling prices across a wide range of outlets and then apply common sense.

I reckon Williams would be £40 here ?

LATER ADDITION

Looking at this guide looks like it is a realised price ?  I'm going off the fact he's stated grades. And there are multiple entries for same 45 eg Magnificent Men "I've got news" so IMO a better base to judge values than say Manship or Brown.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Pablorally said:

Hiya what is the best up to date Northern Soul record selling & buying price guide.

Wanted....

Regards Paul.

Prices are subjective and often highly variable.

Popsike will give the full range of pricing and the average paid, so will Discogs.

Don't base your prices on some cheque book Charlie stupidly bidding on dealer auctions at ridiculous prices just because they have to have the 45. You will soon be bankrupt.👍

Remember also that most dealers have to pay taxes and employ staff and this is accounted for in their pricing.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Prices are subjective and often highly variable.

Popsike will give the full range of pricing and the average paid, so will Discogs.

Don't base your prices on some cheque book Charlie stupidly bidding on dealer auctions at ridiculous prices just because they have to have the 45. You will soon be bankrupt.👍

popsike are auction prices and probably the last indicator I would use.  Discogs are actual sales and you can see the history so more relevant.  Actual lists and the shop floor the best indicator of prices

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

popsike are auction prices and probably the last indicator I would use.  Discogs are actual sales and you can see the history so more relevant.  Actual lists and the shop floor the best indicator of prices

Why ? The point I was making is that on Popsike you can see the full range of prices. For example I was checking a price on a 45 recently where the dealer was asking 150. Popsike showed about 25 instances of Ebay auctions and prices varied from around 40 to 120, so I figured 150 was too much. I certainly wouldn't base any purchase on UK dealer auction prices. Discogs only gives you what's been on Discogs, and in most cases what I'm looking for is never on there (or very rarely) and never sold according to them, but I know its been for sale elsewhere. The main dealers are also on there so the pricing is still distorted in my view but its is actual prices paid. However come to think of it there was a thread on here some time ago about how Discogs pricing can be manipulated by various methods, so maybe not that accurate after all.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!