Posted

I have a friend visiting the UK soon who has asked if he were to visit one record shop in central London (all genres - 2nd hand, not specifically new), what one is the best?

Any recommendations? Lee

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 1
  • Views 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Sounds of the Universe, in Broadwick street just off Berwick street is a good start. Downstairs there is a decent range of original 45s and albums to browse through along with a deck to listen on. Impressive range of books too. Ground floor more focussed on dance and reggae I think (I tend to just head straight downstairs). Central Soho, so easy to get to if wanting to focus on central London. There's a box of soul singles sorted into sub-categories right next to the deck (generally around the £10 mark), and also one up on a shelf to the left side of the counter of soul priced around £3-£7 I think. I've not delved further than that but I'm sure they've got more that is perhaps more collectable and priced accordingly.

Then, nearby back on Berwick street you have Reckless Records. Again, mostly original vinyl, 45s, 12" and albums. More or less opposite is Sister Ray with mostly CDs on ground floor and vinyl downstairs. They do carry quite a lot of new reissues as well as originals, but have the approach of often just putting a photocopy of the record in a sleeve and you'd have to take that to the desk to see the real thing. 

Then just one street over from Berwick street, in Poland street, you find Phonica. I think this is very much more dance orientated along with reissued funk/soul.

Hope he has a good trip!

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Info Wanted - London Record Shops / Markets
    All About The Soul by Shaun W on Thu 12 Dec 2013