RCA White / Yellows Promos

Alamo

I remember around the time the "jumping at the go go" lp got released, hundreds of white RCA demos appeared at all nighters for sale.

Somebody obviously found a warehouse full.

About £25 a pop, I got the bobbettes, rose valentine, and Roy Hamilton CUOY.

As always, wish I'd bought more, and sold less...

Never saw many yellow demos though of Exciters or Judy Freeman.

I think Arthur Fenn had all of them....

Could have been a soul bowl thing.

Ed

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I remember around the time the "jumping at the go go" lp got released, hundreds of white RCA demos appeared at all nighters for sale.

Somebody obviously found a warehouse full.

About £25 a pop, I got the bobbettes, rose valentine, and Roy Hamilton CUOY.

As always, wish I'd bought more, and sold less...

Never saw many yellow demos though of Exciters or Judy Freeman.

I think Arthur Fenn had all of them....

Could have been a soul bowl thing.

Ed

Not all of them Ed. I had a Judy Freeman 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

its all about the time frame..rca demos were white up till the end of 1967.. then they issued yellow with the same label design thruout 1968.. the issues for these releases were black either way

the label design changed very early 1969 where the RCA was on the left in large white text and victor on the right in smaller white text.. the demos were still yellow but the issues were orange..this carried on thru to the mid 70s when the label design changed again and the demos were cream and the issue copies were black.....  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

its all about the time frame..rca demos were white up till the end of 1967.. then they issued yellow with the same label design thruout 1968.. the issues for these releases were black either way

the label design changed very early 1969 where the RCA was on the left in large white text and victor on the right in smaller white text.. the demos were still yellow but the issues were orange..this carried on thru to the mid 70s when the label design changed again and the demos were cream and the issue copies were black.....  

Correct for the first bit. The first logo we are talking about; Rca Victor in white on top on a black background with the dog and the record player appeared in June 1954. The promos for the early pre sixties release where still old run were of rather primitive nature. But hence not every disc at RCA had a promo release. Never this was automatic before 1965 at RCA where some promo releases just dosn't exist.

After that the quest for some release as unprolific stockers can even prove very difficult. For the second design logo from October 1968 with the 'futuristic' linear lateral RCA in white on the left hand side and bold Victor on the right side of the label and their yellow counterparts for the promos ran only up to October 1974 or about. After that the promos were grey instead of yellow and the stockers beige instead of orange.

Only somewhere from 1976 they switch to pale yellow for the promos and black for the stockers keeping the 'futuristic' RCA logo but horizontaly on top dropping out Victor but reintegrating the dog and the record player. Mind you different pressing plants where involved for this very prolific label that created and established the 45 rpm 7" format and so variations of colors, typos and plastics are out there and about.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Correct for the first bit. The first logo we are talking about; Rca Victor in white on top on a black background with the dog and the record player appeared in June 1954. The promos for the early pre sixties release where still old run were of rather primitive nature. But hence not every disc at RCA had a promo release. Never this was automatic before 1965 at RCA where some promo releases just dosn't exist.

After that the quest for some release as unprolific stockers can even prove very difficult. For the second design logo from October 1968 with the 'futuristic' linear lateral RCA in white on the left hand side and bold Victor on the right side of the label and their yellow counterparts for the promos ran only up to October 1974 or about. After that the promos were grey instead of yellow and the stockers beige instead of orange.

Only somewhere from 1976 they switch to pale yellow for the promos and black for the stockers keeping the 'futuristic' RCA logo but horizontaly on top dropping out Victor but reintegrating the dog and the record player. Mind you different pressing plants where involved for this very prolific label that created and established the 45 rpm 7" format and so variations of colors, typos and plastics are out there and about.

and there was me just trying to keep it simple rather than writing a long ass essay as you have done.. didnt see any mention of when RCA started pressing 45s up.. or what colour the issues were mid 70s for that matter

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Correct for the first bit. The first logo we are talking about; Rca Victor in white on top on a black background with the dog and the record player appeared in June 1954. 

Just to clarify- are you saying RCA didn't release promos before 1954 ? Here's one from 1951- 

soul arthur

• Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Just to clarify- are you saying RCA didn't release promos before 1954 ? Here's one from 1951- 

soul arthur

No, I said that before 1965 not all RCA 7" got a promo release where it became an automated case but only past 1965. Learning that such could be the case for the biggest major record company in the USA was news to me. Why bypassing the promotional releases and it's promotion stage ?

And referring to these "primitive" looking RCA promo labels that were still in use after the black RCA Victor was introduce in 1954 likely due to huge stock amount of pre-printed promo labels like these before switching to the later ones was only feeding some on the transitional label switch gap.

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

No, I said that before 1965 not all RCA 7" got a promo release where it became an automated case but only past 1965. Learning that such could be the case for the biggest major record company in the USA was news to me. Why bypassing the promotional releases and it's promotion stage ?

I don't think RCA Victor "bypassed" it's promotion stage. I think they just sent out black stock copies as promos. Once in awhile, you can find one like 

this which reads "Many Thanks Stan Pat" who did do promo work for RCA. Whether or not anyone would consider this a promo is debatable. 

soul Grand

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!