Rictic66 profile photo

Theft,fire and flood insurance for records

Posted

I’ve just renewed my home contents insurance and was refused cover for my record collection due to its present value (maybe time to sell some!). Another major firm covered it ok subject to an upward limit and reassuringly adding it in writing on the policy document. 

Boring subject, I know, but with values increasing so much, it’s well worth checking this out for peace of mind. Especially if you live in a flood zone.  Apparently one of our Lancashire dealers had his warehouse flooded a few years ago - I can imagine the time and cost involved.

Insuring a play record box for DJs when travelling is a different thing and while it’s easy to get equipment cover for a decent cost, theft cover for say £250 OVO at say average value £250 = £62k and not so easy or affordable. I heard Bruno DJ at Teddington last Friday (brilliant spot), and every single record he played was a rareity and most worth £1k+.  Scary. 

Policies I have seen can cap equipment (excluding vinyl), at £50k and only covers overnight if in a locked secure room at a venue. The venue itself may have cover but checking with each one every time is impractical. They may have personal third party liability cover in case someone is injured but that’s another issue. 

Wonder what others do and think and if any advice or good/bad experiences. We are lucky in that the northern scene is relatively insular and friendly in a good way with stolen records at events very rarely happening, so I imagine most of us just take the risk - or carry a weapon!!!…

Paul T

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Musicguard insured me. 

There’s plenty out there

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I don’t dj anymore but they had insurance for any of my equipment and records

Share this forum post

soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Some car insurance Q's
    Freebasing by Simon T on Wed 14 Nov 2018
    • 11 / 574
    • Winsford Soul on 16 Nov 2018
  2. Vinyl collection insurance
    Freebasing by Andyontherock on Mon 08 Oct 2018
    • 4 / 705
    • Nitram on 10 Oct 2018
  3. Car Insurance
    Freebasing by Steve S 60 on Mon 12 Sep 2016
    • 45 / 2827
    • Steve S 60 on 24 Sep 2018
  4. Record insurance
    All About the SOUL by Soul Shaw on Fri 22 Jun 2018
    • 14 / 1089
    • Lionelonthevinyl on 01 Jul 2018

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.