Record thefts whilst djing

Andybellwood

It's every DJ's nightmare.  I expect some chancer grabbed a handful of records and scarpered in seconds, which could easily happen, especially if lots of people were on the stage - This kind of thing was not really on people's minds years ago, but nowadays is different - Keep a sharp eye on your Gems!

I used to put a 'wall' of tables along the back (For the DJ's records) But also along both sides, so there was only a small gap left to get to the stage. Mainly to control 'decks traffic', but it also made it very noticeable to the DJ who had joined them.

A shame it happens at all of course, but glad it rarely does.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A friend of mine had a whole box of British originals lifted many years ago from Samanth's so not really a new thing ,, as for policing don't think security should get involved,, How about each DJ covering each other (i.e.) be on stage half hour early ,,,,when playing DJ finishes he stays for half hour so we have a roll on effect ,,, all backs covered 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Pep had a handful taken from his box recently, Kitch had one lifted.  

Security for Djs is often non-existent but given the cost of the records often behind the decks it should be a priority.

Agreed Chalkie. The promoter could or should cover the costs of security around the decks. Given that some DJ boxes hold dozens of priceless gems, it makes sense that they have peace of mind when totally preoccupied.

Edited by Frankie Crocker
typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Monny1916 said:

A friend of mine had a whole box of British originals lifted many years ago from Samanth's so not really a new thing ,, as for policing don't think security should get involved,, How about each DJ covering each other (i.e.) be on stage half hour early ,,,,when playing DJ finishes he stays for half hour so we have a roll on effect ,,, all backs covered 

Some DJ’s can not be trusted... best if the security is neutral and does not collect rare records...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

If your talking about Samantha’s Sheffield, it has to be the one of the worst venues ever for thefts.  
With the DJ facing the dance floor, your record box would be behind you. 
I had several nicked in 1974 and again in 2005. 
I duly ceased promoting  immediately thereafter. 
The really sad part is, I was told that the thief simply did it because ..... ‘I could afford to lose them’......😩

Edited by Goldsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Monny1916 said:

Unfortunately the promoters would only offset the cost to the good folk that go regards S

How sad are some people have or have not precious or cheap nobody can afford to lose anything they treasure,, regards Stephen 

My losses totaled around 5 grand. Industry colleague Sean Chapman had 2k’s worth lifted at Prestatyn and now refuses to stand at venues with collectibles. 😩😥

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Straightforward opportunism. There has to be someone to sell em on to......sadly those dealers & ‘collectors’ never come forward as I can testify! 

Don’t give people an opportunity then. I really don’t get this. It is easily avoided. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Goldsoul said:

These days most seasoned pro’s are on double guard duty against predators.  When you have done you fair share of gigs though, you can still get caught cold. 

Not if you always have the records with you. I just don’t get this. Unless people are getting whacked on the head or house broken into, then it’s their own fault. 

Would you leave 50k in cash laying about with a load of pissed people you don’t really know. Seasoned pro seems like a stretch as basic errors are being made. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Hi-Take your point but goes far wider than that  

In my case we are talking 15 years ago. 
And 28 years past....an even bigger loss! 
Sean C around 6 years. It’s not every week.  
The point I was trying to make is, there have been and still are malicious predators willing to nick anyone’s goods given half a chance. 
Some have the fence ready to offload to. 
You can imagine after 48 years on the scene, one could easily name a few names.....which I certainly won’t do.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Suspected that some DJs are at this. Changeover times, first DJ is facing the crowd or cueing up record, second is opening box and pulling stuff out, faffing about with his back to the audience, very easy to lift at that time if the second DJ is dodgy. There is no other explanation and the idea of random punters wandering up, and doing it in full view of everyone in the room seems somehow less plausible. Maybe need two tables, one for DJ1 and one for DJ2.  I am convinced, unpleasant as it sounds, they walk amongst us. 

Right well that’s sounds awful. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Between spots I lock the box and chain it to a table or something - ok wont stop a targetted approach but should stop the chancers. Whilst playing I cant see you can have the records in view as there is usually nowhere to put them except behind you. Maybe need to have the mrs up there to keep a watch - but a shame if it comes to that. 

Social source share

Totally agree with all the above, record boxes should also be locked when not in use and use smaller play boxes, these are small measures to prevent a life altering experience. Having somebody on hand is the least a promoter should do when you consider the value of rare stuff 20 years ago to now. Its a different world now and the scene needs its collective shit together on this one. Peps & Kitch's experience and anyone else over the years that its happened to, this should be a warning that someone is at it and they might be ambitious. The best way to avoid risk is not expose yourself to it and to minimise it where it does exist. 

Logically, all promoters should have this covered in the event risk assessment, which should be standard practice to legally cover themselves at the very least. Trust is one thing but leaving yourself wide open is another. If you take all necessary precautions it will minimise any suspicion.

Sorry mate gotta concentrate on my spot, happy to talk to you afterwards. Sorry mate venue policy, no one else on stage, Health & safety. 

Altered this based on the good news below. Still think a chain will give DJs peace of mind

Edited by Imperial C
Social source share

Many year's ago I went to our regular soul night & everyone was invited to take one record & if they did it was played. At the end of the night I went up to collect mine (The Embers. Watch out girl) and it was not there. Had everybody looking everywhere. We found it in Soul Sam's record box. He played it thinking it was his as he had the same record & he put it in his record box by mistake. Lol.  Hahaha.... 

Just another soul story.... 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Pablorally said:

Many year's ago I went to our regular soul night & everyone was invited to take one record & if they did it was played. At the end of the night I went up to collect mine (The Embers. Watch out girl) and it was not there. Had everybody looking everywhere. We found it in Soul Sam's record box. He played it thinking it was his as he had the same record & he put it in his record box by mistake. Lol.  Hahaha.... 

Just another soul story.... 

The venue was The Bowling Green in Newark. Did anybody else go there back in the day? I think it was run by Pete Ward & Geoff?. Lol

Social source share

11 hours ago, Chalky said:

They were accidentally picked up by another DJ I think, he found them in his bag and text Eddie to say he had them.  All will be returned that is all that matters. 

Thats great news.  I was listening to the show where Eddie was talking about it.  I'm glad this ended well for him.

Social source share

I had my full play box stolen from my estate car, broke the back window and away with the mixer however they were scallies who didn’t know what they’d got and couldn’t keep their mouths shut, they were spoken too in a sensible way returned the box everything intact plus a new radio and cassette system which they probably would have stolen from some other poor bugger. I was lucky, but I have over the years had around a couple of dozen stolen at different venues, it’s funny but I used to have a second sense about some that were stolen and check my box maybe a week later to find they’d gone.

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!