Andybellwood profile photo

Record thefts whilst djing

Posted

If you got several grands worth of records whilst DJing, just get a mate to stand guard behind you. 

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Mike Hollis had a load stolen about a year ago too and, apart from Pep, there was another one last year, cant remember who. Seems like someone may be targeting? Would anyone consider using smartwater, just a thought?

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Veedub said:

If you got several grands worth of records whilst DJing, just get a mate to stand guard behind you. 

This thread is completely fascinating, as it almost could imply that DJ's need to take re-issues out with them (for the fear of pilfering) and just play cheap copies, so no one would even consider pinching any.......how ironic with the OVO  venues. Glad I am out of it to be honest and I only see it getting worse as prices increase. It's also very sad knowing the passion of collecting, for those who have experienced it, it must be the similar to a house break in, utterly devastating

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I never had anything worth nicking,  infact people used to put decent records in my box😋🤣

Hahaha. That made me chuckle... 😂😂😂🤕

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I started a similar thread last week asking if anyone insured their playboxes at events against theft. I just had one reply saying it is possible along with DJ equipment insurance cover. In the unfortunate event of a theft and claim, one good thing is that there is now easy proof of value with popsike, discogs etc.  

Different point but everyone should seriously consider insuring their home collection through normal contents insurance which covers theft, fire and flooding plus accidental da,age subject to an excess. It’s not expensive - Best advice is to get the co to state the records are specifically covered on the policy - this may mean you have to list those valued at >£1k. I’ve done this for many years, fortunately never having to make a claim (although did think about it when I dropped and smashed Dee Dee  Phillips on evolution!). 

PT

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Half the problem is we are all a bit too old and embarrassed......particularly if we get to know who the perpetrators are. A very close friend of mine had a fair whack lifted yet ‘let it slide’

Far more common than we think. Most are going unreported methinks. Maybe not so much now, back in the day though...........😩
 

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Half the problem is we are all a bit too old and embarrassed......particularly if we get to know who the perpetrators are. A very close friend of mine had a fair whack lifted yet ‘let it slide’

Far more common than we think. Most are going unreported methinks. Maybe not so much now, back in the day though...........😩
 

If (Touch wood) it ever happened to me & I found out they'd be dangling over a cliff strung iup by there ball's. Or if they where female.... Er I'll leave it there.... And breath... 🙈🙉

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

This was what Mike Hollis said back in April, there was a list too if anyone is interested. 

image.thumb.png.fb7cc33a8b262f0f8b7b5d13ce2e957c.pngimage.thumb.png.3a8dc18c304ab531bc29f96cc33b13b1.png

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Somebody put the Snake in my box once and it bit me

ML

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted
41 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

This was what Mike Hollis said back in April, there was a list too if anyone is interested.

did he get them back? terrible story

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I would like to see the list, can you post it on here? We all look at stuff all the time I'm assuming. If its on here and the dealers are informed, its going to be difficult to sell under the radar when everyone knows whats gone missing, where and when. In particular if all the DJs load up the camera with snaps for forensic purposes later on.  

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Some well thought out discussion and happy to take part. Back to the ‘Dark End of the Street’ though.........thieves often have someone to sell to immediately........and the embarrassment of collectors/DJs challenging certain known fences can often be gut wrenching. 

Edited by Goldsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

did he get them back? terrible story

 

No! A few people rallied round and gave him some copies of stuff he'd lost.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Imperial C said:

I would like to see the list, can you post it on here? We all look at stuff all the time I'm assuming. If its on here and the dealers are informed, its going to be difficult to sell under the radar when everyone knows whats gone missing, where and when. In particular if all the DJs load up the camera with snaps for forensic purposes later on.  

This is the list of records stolen from Mike Hollis. £500 reward for ANY Confidential Information Leading to Identifying the lowlife/return of records:
Barbara Acklin - Love Makes a Woman - MCA
Action - Baby you've got it - Parlophone
Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You - Zodiac
Band of Angels - Invitation - Piccadilly - ADV PROMO
Darrell Banks - Open the door to your heart - Stateside Red & White DEMO
J.J.Barnes - Please let me in - Ric Tic
J.J.Barnes - Real Humdinger - Ric Tic
Barefoot Beefus - EP
Duke Browner - Crying over you - Impact
Coasters - Crazy baby - Atco
Little Carl Carlton - Competition ain't nothing - Action
Eula Cooper - Let our love grow higher - Super Sound.
Dee Clark - That's my girl - Constellation
Carstairs - It really hurts me girl - Red Coach
Spencer Davis group - Gimme some lovin' - Fontana
Spencer Davis Group - Keep on running - Fontana
Spencer Davis - I'm a man - Fontana
Esquires - Get on Up - Stateside
Flaming Emeralds - Have some everybody - Grapevine
Facinations - Girl are out to get you - Stateside
Formations - At the top of the stairs - MGM
Frankie & Johnny - I'll hold on - Decca
Eddie Foster - I never knew - IN
Garland Green - Girl I love you - Revue
Bud Harper - Mr. Soul - Vocalion
Donald Height - Talk of the Grapevine - London
Eddie Holman - Eddie's my name - C/Parkway
Eddie Holman - This could be a night to remember - Salsoul
Eddie Holman - Hold me in your arms - Grapevine
Incredibles - Theres nothing else to say baby - Stateside
Impressions - Can't Satisfy - Stateside Red & White DEMO
Impressions - Gypsy Woman - HMV
Invitations - What's wrong with me baby - Stateside
Invitations - They say the girls crazy -
Invictus - You Baby - Rama
Chuck Jackson - Hand it over - Pye Int
Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - Black Atl
Jimmy James - A Man like me - Stateside
Jaybirds - Somebody Help Me - Sue
Linda Jones & Whatnauts - I'm so glad I found you - Stang
Major Lance - Investigate - Columbia DEMO
Major Lance - Ain't no Soul - Okeh
Shirley Lawson - One more Chance/Star - Soul City
Curtis Liggins Indications - What it is - Kaycee-Soul
Skip Mahoney - Janice
Curtis Mayfield - Move on up - Buddah
Garnett Mimms - Looking for you - UA
Stanley Mitchell - Get it Baby - Dynamo
Micky Moonshine - Name it You got it - Decca
O'Jays - I dig your act - Stateside
O'Jays - I'll never forget you - Imperial
Doug Parkinson - I'll be around - Southern Star
Bobby Patterson - I'm in love with you - Action
Bobby Patterson - My Baby's coming back to me - Jetstar
N.F.Porter - Keep on Keeping on - Lizard
Ray Pollard - The Drifter - UA
Lou Rawls - see you when I git there - Philly Int
Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces
Donald Lee Richardson - You got me in the palm of your hand - Soulville
Mitch Ryder - Breakout - Stateside
Bobby Sheen - Something new to do - WB
Sandi Sheldon - You're gonna make me love you
Marvin Smith - Have more time - Coral
Spiral Staircase - More today than yesterday - Columbia
Betty Swann - Make me Yours - CBS DEMO
Joe Tex - Show Me - ATL
Don Thomas - Come on Train - VeeJay (Coloured Vinyl)
Mel Torme - Comin' home Baby - London
Tower of Power - This Time is real - W.Bros
Ike & Tina Turner - Dust my Broom - HMV
Ike & Tina Turner - Crazy Bout you baby - Blue Thumb
Van Dykes - What will I do - Stateside
Van Dykes - Save my love for a rainy day - Mala
Visitors - I'm in danger - Dakar
Mary Wells - What's easy for Two - Stateside
Larry Williams - You ask for one good reason/I am the One - OKEH white DEMO
Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - Too Late - Okeh
Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows - Sound of Soul
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't gonna move - Jowat
Jackie Wilson - It only Happens - Brunswick
Jackie Wilson - Who Who song/Since you showed me - Coral
Jackie Wilson - I don't want to lose you - Brunswick
Jackie Wilson - Beautiful Day - Brunswick Red DEMO
Patti Young - Head & Shoulders

Stolen MOTOWN
Contours - Just a little misunderstanding - Red/White DEMO
Four Tops - Ask the Lonely
Four Tops - Since you've been gone
Marvin Gaye - Little Darling
Marvin Gaye - Love staved heart
Marvin Gaye - If this world were mine/If I could build my whole world - Green/White DEMO
Virgil Henry - You ain't sayin' nothing new
Isley Brothers - I want my Baby Back - Green/White DEMO
Isley Brothers - Why when love is gone - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - No one could love you more - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - No one there - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - Just walk in my shoes
Miricles - Whole lot of shakin in my heart - Red/ White DEMO
Barbara Randolf - I got a feeling
Spinners - I'll always love you
Spinners - Sweet Thing
Supremes - He' all I got/Love is like an itching in my heart - Red/White DEMO
Supremes - There's no stopping us now
Bobby Taylor - Oh I've been blessed - VIP
Temptations - The Girls all right with me - Red/White DEMO
Temptations - It's you that I need
Temptations - Beauty's only skin deep
Temptations - My Baby
Temptations - Lady Soul (ZB 40849)

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Instant DJ above, totally outrageous.

Time to get your cameras out. Nicked records won't sell if everyone knows they're nicked, legitimate dealers won't touch em and legitimate soul boys won't buy em.  

If the guy who had them is reading this and has got any conscience at all he'll give them back, drop them off anonymously somewhere for Mikes attention, do the decent thing mate these are not the actions of a soul boy, you should be ashamed of yourself. A man of integrity can walk tall and look people in the eye, a thief looks over his shoulder and down at the ground. Only one commands respect and you now have to decide which one you are going to be for the rest of your life,  Over to you

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Imperial C
  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

This is the list of records stolen from Mike Hollis. £500 reward for ANY Confidential Information Leading to Identifying the lowlife/return of records:
Barbara Acklin - Love Makes a Woman - MCA
Action - Baby you've got it - Parlophone
Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You - Zodiac
Band of Angels - Invitation - Piccadilly - ADV PROMO
Darrell Banks - Open the door to your heart - Stateside Red & White DEMO
J.J.Barnes - Please let me in - Ric Tic
J.J.Barnes - Real Humdinger - Ric Tic
Barefoot Beefus - EP
Duke Browner - Crying over you - Impact
Coasters - Crazy baby - Atco
Little Carl Carlton - Competition ain't nothing - Action
Eula Cooper - Let our love grow higher - Super Sound.
Dee Clark - That's my girl - Constellation
Carstairs - It really hurts me girl - Red Coach
Spencer Davis group - Gimme some lovin' - Fontana
Spencer Davis Group - Keep on running - Fontana
Spencer Davis - I'm a man - Fontana
Esquires - Get on Up - Stateside
Flaming Emeralds - Have some everybody - Grapevine
Facinations - Girl are out to get you - Stateside
Formations - At the top of the stairs - MGM
Frankie & Johnny - I'll hold on - Decca
Eddie Foster - I never knew - IN
Garland Green - Girl I love you - Revue
Bud Harper - Mr. Soul - Vocalion
Donald Height - Talk of the Grapevine - London
Eddie Holman - Eddie's my name - C/Parkway
Eddie Holman - This could be a night to remember - Salsoul
Eddie Holman - Hold me in your arms - Grapevine
Incredibles - Theres nothing else to say baby - Stateside
Impressions - Can't Satisfy - Stateside Red & White DEMO
Impressions - Gypsy Woman - HMV
Invitations - What's wrong with me baby - Stateside
Invitations - They say the girls crazy -
Invictus - You Baby - Rama
Chuck Jackson - Hand it over - Pye Int
Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - Black Atl
Jimmy James - A Man like me - Stateside
Jaybirds - Somebody Help Me - Sue
Linda Jones & Whatnauts - I'm so glad I found you - Stang
Major Lance - Investigate - Columbia DEMO
Major Lance - Ain't no Soul - Okeh
Shirley Lawson - One more Chance/Star - Soul City
Curtis Liggins Indications - What it is - Kaycee-Soul
Skip Mahoney - Janice
Curtis Mayfield - Move on up - Buddah
Garnett Mimms - Looking for you - UA
Stanley Mitchell - Get it Baby - Dynamo
Micky Moonshine - Name it You got it - Decca
O'Jays - I dig your act - Stateside
O'Jays - I'll never forget you - Imperial
Doug Parkinson - I'll be around - Southern Star
Bobby Patterson - I'm in love with you - Action
Bobby Patterson - My Baby's coming back to me - Jetstar
N.F.Porter - Keep on Keeping on - Lizard
Ray Pollard - The Drifter - UA
Lou Rawls - see you when I git there - Philly Int
Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces
Donald Lee Richardson - You got me in the palm of your hand - Soulville
Mitch Ryder - Breakout - Stateside
Bobby Sheen - Something new to do - WB
Sandi Sheldon - You're gonna make me love you
Marvin Smith - Have more time - Coral
Spiral Staircase - More today than yesterday - Columbia
Betty Swann - Make me Yours - CBS DEMO
Joe Tex - Show Me - ATL
Don Thomas - Come on Train - VeeJay (Coloured Vinyl)
Mel Torme - Comin' home Baby - London
Tower of Power - This Time is real - W.Bros
Ike & Tina Turner - Dust my Broom - HMV
Ike & Tina Turner - Crazy Bout you baby - Blue Thumb
Van Dykes - What will I do - Stateside
Van Dykes - Save my love for a rainy day - Mala
Visitors - I'm in danger - Dakar
Mary Wells - What's easy for Two - Stateside
Larry Williams - You ask for one good reason/I am the One - OKEH white DEMO
Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - Too Late - Okeh
Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows - Sound of Soul
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't gonna move - Jowat
Jackie Wilson - It only Happens - Brunswick
Jackie Wilson - Who Who song/Since you showed me - Coral
Jackie Wilson - I don't want to lose you - Brunswick
Jackie Wilson - Beautiful Day - Brunswick Red DEMO
Patti Young - Head & Shoulders

Stolen MOTOWN
Contours - Just a little misunderstanding - Red/White DEMO
Four Tops - Ask the Lonely
Four Tops - Since you've been gone
Marvin Gaye - Little Darling
Marvin Gaye - Love staved heart
Marvin Gaye - If this world were mine/If I could build my whole world - Green/White DEMO
Virgil Henry - You ain't sayin' nothing new
Isley Brothers - I want my Baby Back - Green/White DEMO
Isley Brothers - Why when love is gone - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - No one could love you more - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - No one there - Green/White DEMO
Gladys Knight - Just walk in my shoes
Miricles - Whole lot of shakin in my heart - Red/ White DEMO
Barbara Randolf - I got a feeling
Spinners - I'll always love you
Spinners - Sweet Thing
Supremes - He' all I got/Love is like an itching in my heart - Red/White DEMO
Supremes - There's no stopping us now
Bobby Taylor - Oh I've been blessed - VIP
Temptations - The Girls all right with me - Red/White DEMO
Temptations - It's you that I need
Temptations - Beauty's only skin deep
Temptations - My Baby
Temptations - Lady Soul (ZB 40849)

A lot of UK stuff here so could be easier to spot as there are fewer collectors and sellers. Hopefully the dealers will take note of the list and keep a watchful eye.

And a helpful hint to the thief, just return the 45’s as you are unlikely to sell them, you don’t want a criminal record and your guilty conscience prevents you from enjoying them as you ain’t got no soul.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thing is a lot of people assume this is about a Thief robbing for profit. Knowing human nature, it could be done out of spite, envy or a host of messed up reasons. 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Imperial C said:

Instant DJ above, totally outrageous.

Time to get your cameras out. Nicked records won't sell if everyone knows they're nickedlegitimate dealers won't touch em and legitimate soul boys won't buy em...

Sadly in my experience, for what I've seen over 35 years of records collecting, crate digging and dealing that is not what I've seen, heard nor experience. It's a bit like at the movies, you see what's on the screen. But beyond that, once you've seen the backstages indeep, the magic is lost.

And as for "legitimate" or what you want to credit them dealers (same goes for collectors, DJ's and Co.), those who claim to be something "clean" with ethics, morality or a sense of fairness or are attributed such a reputation can be that but only maybe. Not necessary I have learn the hard way...

Action speaks louder than words. And that is rarely seen. Soul Boys/Girls, you mean individuals capable of discernement, sensitivity and compassion. Not people in "uniform" belonging to a sect, cult, cast or a way of life. Where the independence of the individuals is secondary to the following... 😉

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

In the news a couple of days ago - although the story is somewhat short on actual details - a burglary in Skegness in which a record collection and DJ equipment were stolen from someone's house.

https://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2020/02/burglars-steal-vinyl-collection-and-dj-set-in-skegness/

One of the few facts available from the sketchy story is that four or five people were involved and shifted the records and equipment over multiple trips. Clearly a targeted and planned crime, and no doubt timed to happen when the DJ/collector wasn't home, perhaps suggesting the possibility of it being organised by a person or persons who know the victim and their movements.

<Added>

I've just been reading a post on Facebook about this - on the page of the Lincolnshire Police. According to one person who commented, the stolen goods were "Technics decks loads of Northern soul and dance music..."

But it gets worse as apparently the stuff was stolen from the house of someone who had died just a few days prior!

The Facebook story is here:

 

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Additional material
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

In the news a couple of days ago - although the story is somewhat short on actual details - a burglary in Skegness in which a record collection and DJ equipment were stolen from someone's house.

https://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2020/02/burglars-steal-vinyl-collection-and-dj-set-in-skegness/

One of the few facts available from the sketchy story is that four or five people were involved and shifted the records and equipment over multiple trips. Clearly a targeted and planned crime, and no doubt timed to happen when the DJ/collector wasn't home, perhaps suggesting the possibility of it being organised by a person or persons who know the victim and their movements.

 

I hope that's not Dave Raistrick !!!!, it's very near The Grosvenor Hotel in Skeggy

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I hope that's not Dave Raistrick !!!!, it's very near The Grosvenor Hotel in Skeggy

If the story is correct, and the records and equipment were taken from the house of someone who's recently passed away, then it's not Dave.

  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I remember Kenny Burrell when he had “Do I Love You” - chaining his record box to a speaker stand foot on the stage - the chain was like a motorbike chain massive - what he didn’t realise was that you just needed to tip the speaker back and the leg would come up which meant you could have slipped the chain out. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

All venues need one of these near the decks 

soul Sign

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

All venues need one of these near the decks 

soul Sign

That is for either prevention or facial recognition. Good and more and more necessary indeed.

1213331308_Capturedcran2020-02-2509_16_59.png.0e37bb8d747bb8bd0958af1201e859c2.png This is for justice and Pavlovian conditioning of the perpetrators 😉

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've been undecided as to whether to contribute to this (sad) thread since the OP first posted, owing to any reply of mine including a smidgeon of "I told you so". But, I have time on my hands, so here goes!

This is absolutely nothing new. I myself suffered from it (twice) almost fifty years ago, and I've heard of it happening plenty of times in the years in-between then and now. Its always going to happen people. The scene is the same as any other, and also reflects society as a whole. Therefore, there will always be plenty of scumbags and toerags around, just looking for an opportunity to lift stuff. It's not going away anytime soon either. Also, don't kid yourselves that these records will be difficult to shift. There'll be lots of people willing to turn a semi-blind eye to the lack of provenance etc. My Soul Sisters London demo ended up in the hands of a guy I considered a very good mate, just days after several discs were lifted out of my play box in '74. He even had the nerve to argue that he'd had it for years, even when I pointed out that my name was scratched in the bloody deadwax!

And all this brings me to the "told you so" bit. On a different thread, (about the new religion of what format a DJ should play his tunes on, and I shan't name it otherwise the Admin wallahs will jump all over me again), I did mention that way back when, I made the decision to play certain high value tunes from boots and Emi-Discs. I'm convinced that this policy saved me many hundreds of pounds, and hours of heartaches. Funnily enough, this was common and accepted practice back then, and no-one ever complained abut it. Looking at the list of stuff that Mr. Hollis has had stolen, it breaks my heart to see the various rare British items that have now disappeared from his box, possibly forever. I really feel for the guy. I'll say it again, but playing an OOTP Hoagy Lands always felt safer than my Stateside Demo. Same went for my Invitations, Incredibles, and Rufus Lumley models, plus my Sandy Wynns Touch of Venus. Collecting and DJing are two very different activities, and should be kept that way. Unless you have adequate insurance to lessen the effects of any theft(s). Even then, you'd have a very difficult time actually sourcing available for-sale replacement discs, regardless of price and condition etc.

Finally, I really do hope that there's a happy ending to this. I know only too well how Mr. Hollis must be feeling, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Oh, and if the culprit is actually caught? Please, don't hold your breath on him/her being dealt with properly by the courts. The justice system doesn't particularly care about theft anymore, so a slap on the wrist and a small fine will probably be all he/she gets. Far better to utilise a punishment for thieves that we had in the Royal Navy. Not being able to properly use your hands/fingers for the remainder of your life is a far more fitting punishment than a fine and a community order. More of a deterrent to the next scumbag also. 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm sure Dave and Pete will correct the details. 😉😁.

And old friend of mine and many other regulars in the 80' s was a youth from Leicester. He had a great collection which he left with a friend whilst on her majesty's pleasure. When he got out, just one record was missing, Joanne Courcey. His pride and joy. Can't think of anyone I've met who was more dedicated to what the scene used to be. He quit the scene, never to return, his illusions of brotherhood shattered forever..

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

 

20 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

 

Action speaks louder than words. And that is rarely seen. Soul Boys/Girls, you mean individuals capable of discernement, sensitivity and compassion. Not people in "uniform" belonging to a sect, cult, cast or a way of life. Where the independence of the individuals is secondary to the following... 😉

Yes first line is what I meant, second line is hilarious

I also hope something positive comes of this thread. Who knows a bit self examination may be taking place & records sat in the wrong boxes for many years may just find their way back to their rightful owners and thereby bring a bit more happiness into the world. Its never to late to make amends.

Edited by Imperial C
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I carry mine in a small green fishing bag and it is placed in front of me.....i carry it over my shoulder all night and never leaves my sight....would i leave 20k in an envelope under a chair.After the set it iz zipped up and back over my shoulder.I see people with massive boxes and records pulled out for all to see....piles at the side and they have their back to the record box whilst playing..One record out one back in the bag for me.

Edited by wiggyflat

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

maybe this is why some DJ's arrive just before their set and leave soon after they've finished

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've had records pinched in the past, I always remember DJ ing at one place and this lad I caught looking through my box, after being confronted couldn't understand it was a No No....... Got quiet annoyed with me for not letting him continue, sadly some punters think they have a devine right to take a look as they've paid to come in......

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, Imperial C said:

 

Yes first line is what I meant, second line is hilarious

I also hope something positive comes of this thread. Who knows a bit self examination may be taking place & records sat in the wrong boxes for many years may just find their way back to their rightful owners and thereby bring a bit more happiness into the world. Its never to late to make amends.

Yes indeed! Thanks for all the responses and input into this thread . 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Always pays to have a proper protocol where records and djing is concerned. One of the nights I used to run was in a crack addled part of south London so even getting to the car after was planned. 

I recall DJing in Sweden and walking back to the hotel and this fella who was helping me gleefully said “and this roundabout is where all the drug dealing goes on”. Not what you want to hear at 5am. Not a clever thing to do on my part on reflection. 

I reckon if we delved into it the prime source of records be parted from their owner is ex partners. 

Thieving cee nuts. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Not just DJing, several record shops have had stuff stolen too.  There's a long thread on Facebook about it, won't post names here but if you look you'll see who one of the main culprits is.  

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 23/02/2020 at 15:50, WoodButcher said:

In another DJ's box by mistake ... :facepalm:

Less a matter of light-fingered punters , more a matter of a bunch of middle-aged geezers behind the decks who were probably swilling too much beer and staring at their phones all night .... happened less back in the "good old days" when everyone was so much more alert at 04:00 ... :rolleyes:

Maybe its a case of don't double deck and when one dj has finished his/her spot lock the record box. Then the next dj unlocks their box and can't put 30 records by accident into their box. I dont understand how a dj would have space in their record box to fit 30 records i would have thought they would be quite full given that you dont want your records loose, flying about in transit. Using a small record box like they were back in the day is a big risk as its very easy to be picked up. You need an aluminium box that holds 200 to 300 thats quite heavy so difficult to carry off and if it happens hopefully wont get too far.  Just keep an eye on your trolley as well! Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

No name or venue named here, but I remember a DJ / Promoter dipped into another DJs box and swiped a record not knowing which one. The guest DJ who was at the top of his game and did his spot and off he went, the thief/ DJ / promoter had a basic collection of mainly boots etc nothing over £30. His spot was around 6am when everyone was knackered and going through the motions. Dance floor had about half a dozen plodding away on it. All of a sudden The Dogs - Soul Step came on and the floor filled in seconds (When it was at its height). 50 or so ran to the decks and theDJ shit himself, not knowing what he’d lifted and how popular it was. After being question how he could have hold of what was a very scarce record he admitted it had been left in the record both (which it hadn’t) and it got returned the over the next couple of days to its rightful owner. This was over 30yrs ago but I never forget this night.

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Jesse Boone and the Soul-O-Potion record label
    All About the SOUL by Derek Pearson on Tue 31 Mar 2020
    • 5 / 201
    • Blackpoolsoul on 01 Apr 2020
  2. real world record shops status?
    Look At Your Box by Mike on Tue 24 Mar 2020
    • 4 / 383
    • The Yank on 25 Mar 2020
  3. Record Store Day Put Back to June 2020
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Fri 13 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 253
    • Mike on 13 Mar 2020
  4. Record Flattening Service
    Look At Your Box by MikeHump on Sun 24 Nov 2019
    • 16 / 1566
    • MikeHump on 10 Mar 2020
  5. Record shops Sheffield
    All About the SOUL by Jazz on Mon 09 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 258
    • Jazz on 09 Mar 2020

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.