Margret Little on Genebro

Anyone know the history on this disc ? Rarity, when discovered, played etc... How 'bout the label ??? Detroit ??

Any help appreciated. Does anyone have a sound byte?

Cheers

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Anyone know the history on this disc ? Rarity, when discovered, played etc... How 'bout the label ??? Detroit ?? Any help appreciated. Does anyone have a sound byte?

Cheers

Never quite understood how this got to be so expensive, some going for over £4.000, a lot less nowadays.

Social source share

Never quite understood how this got to be so expensive, some going for over £4.000, a lot less nowadays.

I think that a box was found (late in the game). Before the '80s, I had only seen a couple beat up copies in the hands of US collectors. I never found one for myself in many trips to Detroit in the mid '60s.

Social source share

Anyone know the history on this disc ? Rarity, when discovered, played etc... How 'bout the label ??? Detroit ??

Any help appreciated. Does anyone have a sound byte?

Cheers

As stated in the 2010 thread, it was definitely produced and recorded in Detroit(in 1967, I believe), by Popcorn Wylie. The "Gene" involved (Margaret's "discoverer" and manager) was said to be a barbershop owner on The West Side of Detroit. On the thread, he was said to have been named "Gene Bro". That doesn't sound right to me. We had a discussion on SDF in which Ron Murphy (who also had worked with Wylie) had mentioned his actual full last name (it started with Bro...and included more letters). He went by Gene "Bro" as a nickname. But, I can't remember the complete name; and the thread was lost during the Soulful Detroit Forum's website's reorganisation/reformatting effort.

The label owner, "Gene", in question, was DEFINITELY NOT Gene Redd Jr., as suggested by some posters. Redd never really resided full-time in Detroit, although, he operated his Golden World-distributed Stephanye Records partly in Detroit in 1966. But he recorded only New York artists he had worked with in New York, and spent little time in Detroit, where he could "discover" young Detroit talent he'd want to record. The other thread also mentioned (from an interview with Ms. Little (margaret Little was her real birth name)), that she was given the recording studio time in recompense for a debt owed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy Rix, who wrote what he learned from a telephone call with Ms. Little in a thread on this forum from 2010, said he was hoping to talk to her again, to get more information about her career and this production. I'm guessing that he never did talk to her again. Otherwise, we would know what he learned (ostensibly from his adding it to the 2010 thread).

But, I hope he sees the additions to these 2 threads, and comments on that subject.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Either way she should step forward and receive some deserved applause and Soul Source love and affection. we've had Lorraine Chandler, Darryl Stewart and Cecil Washington honour us all with their presence, so why not our Margaret?

Good point Macca.Then all the "knockers" and "haters" can tell her to her face. :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Andy Rix, who wrote what he learned from a telephone call with Ms. Little in a thread on this forum from 2010, said he was hoping to talk to her again, to get more information about her career and this production. I'm guessing that he never did talk to her again. Otherwise, we would know what he learned (ostensibly from his adding it to the 2010 thread).

But, I hope he sees the additions to these 2 threads, and comments on that subject.

I did talk to her again and have her 'story' that I need to write up .... time just slips away and I had my Masters to finish.

I'll dig my recordings of our conversations out and will get it done

She had suffered a minor stroke that had affected her memory a little bit but we managed to piece things together. She couldn't be sure what Gene Bro's real name was but she didn't think he was a barber .. but of course that shouldn't be taken as fact

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's records like these that really do make outsiders scratch their heads. Rather like Don Gardner. Naf to "OK" tunes selling for the price of a

small secondhand car. Yes I'd like to have one, only to sell as fast as possible to buy some decent choons...............

Don Gardner is as good as anything that's ever been played, covered up or otherwise, from the Wheel to the 100 Club and beyond. What some people perceive as being "naf", "ok" and sublime changes according to one's taste, time, place and other subjective factors. Opinions are like colours, there's lots of them, differents shades, hues etc...

Edited by macca
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don Gardner is as good as anything that's ever been played, covered up or otherwise, from the Wheel to the 100 Club and beyond. What some people perceive as being "naf", "ok" and sublime changes according to one's taste, time, place and other subjective factors. Opinions are like colours, there's lots of them, differents shades, hues etc...

Your opinion :thumbsup:

Social source share

i hope she doesnt come on here....i dont know what would be worse, the slagging off of said 45 or the ass kissing.... i know one thing i`m sick to death of topics on this 45 :glare:

Not sure about the ass kissing Dave,no no no.Some might say i've got nothing better to do than post on this thread - and they'd be right.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was dancing to this at about 1.30 am when Mick played it at Gloucester last weekend.

I believe on my return to the table we were sat at, I may have uttered the phrase - what a ####ing record! Before plonking myself down to catch my breath.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I wouldn't set myself up as an arbiter of great taste but Don Gardner at Wigan used to have my fookin' hair standing on end. When Sam played Margaret Little in Barcelona the year before last it sounded fantastic and the floor was heaving. Willie J & Co. was the next record up. The floor continued to heave. Crap records? I think not.... Opinions, opinions... Colours, colours...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldn't set myself up as an arbiter of great taste but Don Gardner at Wigan used to have my fookin' hair standing on end. When Sam played Margaret Little in Barcelona the year before last it sounded fantastic and the floor was heaving. Willie J & Co. was the next record up. The floor continued to heave. Crap records? I think not.... Opinions, opinions... Colours, colours...

Good for you................ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!