Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

34 minutes ago, Kevinkent said:

I guess I fall into the "at risk" category, at least on paper. I'm 68 next month and I have Heart Disease.

Since undergoing a triple heart bypass 4 years ago, quotes to renew my annual travel insurance have shown a drastic increase in cost. I was just about to shop around for a better deal, but think I will find this impossible following the Corona Virus outbreak.

What I will do, and strongly recommend that others do, is renew my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Mine expires in June but despite our departure from the European Union they can still be used and renewed, or initially applied for, and will be valid untill Dec 31st. The EHIC is free and allows access to healthcare from state providers on the same basis as a resident of the country you're visiting. This means at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. More info at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk .  It's meant to be a supplement to your Insurance rather than an alternative, but if insurance becomes cost prohibitive or has to many get out clauses, then EHIC is better than nothing.

What I'm also considering is driving to the Hitsville Weekender in Mojacar, Spain, in September. For me, a short drive to Dover, 3 or 4 hour ferry crossing and then a 1,510 mile drive through France and Spain. The French services are well equipped and cater for the many people that park up and sleep in their cars overnight. 

So, minimal contact with other travellers etc, plus far healthier and more enjoyable than hanging around at airports in my opinion.

If we are still allowed to travel in the near future, then I hope that some of you might have found my suggestions useful.

See you when I get there.     - Kev

Hi Kev, 

Have you thought  about your bank current account? Many banks offer travel insurance without medical questionnaires upto age 80. Obviously they charge for this banking service but if you're being  'loaded' on your travel insurance premiums it could save you money and hassle and also give you peace of mind. I'm with Lloyds and we get 45 days cover per trip.

See you in  mojacar 

Cheers 

Julian 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Julianb said:

Hi Kev, 

Have you thought  about your bank current account? Many banks offer travel insurance without medical questionnaires upto age 80. Obviously they charge for this banking service but if you're being  'loaded' on your travel insurance premiums it could save you money and hassle and also give you peace of mind. I'm with Lloyds and we get 45 days cover per trip.

See you in  mojacar 

Cheers 

Julian 

Thanks for that suggestion Julian. I doubt HSBC will offer it as they've been withdrawing all the other 'extras' that originally came with my account. I may be changing banks soon though so I'll definitely look out for linked travel insurance. Thanks again....I'll get you a cold one!

- Kev

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

14 minutes ago, Julianb said:

this topic is meant to be about a serious major 2020 event, not members putting up their own 'conspiracy' views on 20 year past events

two posts moved to the freebasing topic

to borrow a term - keep it real

thanks!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Paul Conroy has posted (on Facebook) today that he is cancelling the upcoming Soul Toon 14 due on 4th of April.Pre-empting a possible government decision re cancellation of such events.Being safe rather than sorry.Gutted it's not gonna be on but respect the decision he's had to make.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have an event scheduled for the end of this month - debating with myself whether to cancel or not, but I think I'll wait until nearer the time to make a decision. With a bit of luck things could hopefully improve by then...…..somehow I doubt it. I really don't want to feel I'm letting the punters down - & I know all the DJs will think I'm being a wimp - but everybody's health & safety HAS to come first. Everyone involved - punters, DJs, bar staff, cleaners - are all at risk. I'm an old fart & very much in the "vulnerable" category  too - I will be sitting on the door accepting the door tax as people come in, so in a very dodgy spot. It isn't only my call - I run the event along with a mate so it will have to be a joint decision. Fingers crossed as they say......…hoping for the best but fearing the worst.... I reckon by then the government might have taken it out of our hands & put the country on lockdown.  We've only just got it going too - this only our second event - the first one in January was a massive success so really reluctant to cancel, but if it comes to the crunch I think we will have to 😢

Edited by Kathryn Magson
Social source share

Well said, everyone should be responsible for their own hygiene, but we live in a society where it's NOT ME SIR  ,,I don't care , I personally don't want to catch it or anyone else , as you say we are in that vulnerable bracket so the question is , What Price Life 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

An official advice link is below, it be best stick to that on here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Know the facts

To make sure you get the best information on the novel coronavirus, resources are available from the Department of Health and Social Care.

Visit the NHS website

@DHSCgovuk

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kathryn Magson said:

I have an event scheduled for the end of this month - debating with myself whether to cancel or not, but I think I'll wait until nearer the time to make a decision. With a bit of luck things could hopefully improve by then...…..somehow I doubt it. I really don't want to feel I'm letting the punters down - & I know all the DJs will think I'm being a wimp - but everybody's health & safety HAS to come first. Everyone involved - punters, DJs, bar staff, cleaners - are all at risk. I'm an old fart & very much in the "vulnerable" category  too - I will be sitting on the door accepting the door tax as people come in, so in a very dodgy spot. It isn't only my call - I run the event along with a mate so it will have to be a joint decision. Fingers crossed as they say......…hoping for the best but fearing the worst.... I reckon by then the government might have taken it out of our hands & put the country on lockdown.  We've only just got it going too - this only our second event - the first one in January was a massive success so really reluctant to cancel, but if it comes to the crunch I think we will have to 😢

Hi Kath . Went to 3 events last weekend.  Numbers at normal type Venue down by 30/40%

From previous visits . Bury Town Hall exempt .

Maybe taken out of Promoters hands shortly .

Difficult one to call . Keep safe .

Regards Dave 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The most crucial thing I think people aren't getting about COVID-19, and why governments around the world are taking its spread so seriously, is that the mortality rate of the virus is considerably higher than is typically seen with flu, as an article published by Time magazine yesterday explains.

They state that the average death rate following an outbreak of flu is around 0.1% of those infected. COVID-19, on the other hand, has killed 3.42% of those who get it. In Italy that figure is higher - at 4%.

Even if that mortality rate of 3.42% is postulated as being unnaturally high because of the different ways countries carry out and record their tests (which the article discusses), the potential deaths is huge if millions became infected. And if it does become a pandemic, the millions could be tens or even hundreds of millions.

This is why governments are taking the steps that they are. Without a vaccination the only thing to do is to try and limit the possibilities of the virus spreading - hence Italy's lock-down, the cancellation of larger events elsewhere, and the "self-isolate" advice (formerly known as "stay at home!").

Article: https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

In the Netherlands (population around 17.5 million), we have, at this moment in time, slightly more cases of COVID-19 (382) than the UK (373) with its much larger population (around 67 million). The number of deaths here now stands at four while it's six in the UK. I'll leave you to work out the respective mortality rates thus far.

And it was announced on local news earlier today that even our little corner of the Netherlands now has two confirmed cases, and nationally many firms are encouraging people to work from home.

This outbreak has got a long way to go yet, I feel (although I really do hope I'm wrong), and if it has, we'll definitely start to see more cancellations of events and larger public gatherings.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Clarity
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 05/03/2020 at 15:42, Mark R said:

I have been wondering.......Southport Weekender in 2 weeks.....5000+ people.  I suspect that a company like Butlins will follow any government guidelines/rules imposed between now and then.  A company of such repute cant afford to ignore government advice/rules is my thought.

But two weeks ain't far away and it may take longer than that for it to become so serious........we'll see!

Cheers,

Mark R

Let’s hope so Mark, we’ve been waiting 5 years for this event and it would be tragic to have it cancelled at the last minute.  Not just from my selfish point of view but how could Alex Lowes survive this ? It doesn’t bear thinking about but I know we have to.

My heart does go out to the Italians not able to travel to the event if it does go ahead. 

All being well Mark, see you at the SPW in BR

Regards

Ali 

Edited by Alison H
Typo
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Paul Conroy said:

This is what I posted today on The Soul Toon FB page most people on here know what my previous employment was for 26 years and those who know me know I am meticulous in anything I do. 

I made my decision to cancel on a number of issues yes fiancé was a concern, but not on a personal level, no one likes to loose money, I can live with the money I have lost to cancel, but my biggest concern was the people who travel far and wide to attend my events, they have booked hotels train tickets etc etc, cancelling sooner rather than later will hopefully prevent anyone else loosing money.

I am not saying other promoters should follow suit far from it, this is my decision for my event and I now feel comfortable that I have made this decision.

Take care everyone lets hope nothing is enforced

Cheers

Paul

Honesty is the ONLY policy Paul, impressive consideration in my book

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sensible  to cancel 'just in case' as we are now almost exactly where Italy was 2 weeks ago on 25th Feb ... they had 323 cases, as of today we have 373. 

Cases in Europe have escalated rapidly in the last week since 4th Mar - Germany (then 265 now 1224), France (then 283 now 1412) & Spain (then 281 now 1231). this is where Italy was on 29th Feb (1228) (just 10 days ago)

Let's hope we have learned from what has happened in Italy and can contain the spread otherwise in 2 weeks time we could well see the same drastic action i.e. total lockdown!

I know there has been some banter on here since the outbreak started but this is getting serious (not just for those vulnerable i.e males, over 60, smokers, pre-existing conditions - I wonder how many of  us on here can tick many or most of those boxes?) but our normal way of life for the short term and the economy - The FTSE & Dow Jones are both down approx 20% how much further will they fall if we are in lockdown?  Think about it if you ran a small business e.g. pub or cafe how long could you survive paying staff with no money coming in?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/03/2020 at 13:30, Julianb said:

Hi Kev, 

See you in  mojacar 

Cheers 

Julian 

Julian ... I'm not sure that is 'strictly' correct as you do have to disclose any pre-existing conditions.  This may not mean cover is refused but you would probably have to pay extra ... but still 'possibly' cheaper than the alternative..

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
54 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Sensible  to cancel 'just in case' as we are now almost exactly where Italy was 2 weeks ago on 25th Feb ... they had 323 cases, as of today we have 373. 

Cases in Europe have escalated rapidly in the last week since 4th Mar - Germany (then 265 now 1224), France (then 283 now 1412) & Spain (then 281 now 1231). this is where Italy was on 29th Feb (1228) (just 10 days ago)

Let's hope we have learned from what has happened in Italy and can contain the spread otherwise in 2 weeks time we could well see the same drastic action i.e. total lockdown!

I know there has been some banter on here since the outbreak started but this is getting serious (not just for those vulnerable i.e males, over 60, smokers, pre-existing conditions - I wonder how many of  us on here can tick many or most of those boxes?) but our normal way of life for the short term and the economy - The FTSE & Dow Jones are both down approx 20% how much further will they fall if we are in lockdown?  Think about it if you ran a small business e.g. pub or cafe how long could you survive paying staff with no money coming in?

This is the only and realistic way of looking at this virus. The figures speak for themselves, we should be doing as much as possible to limit it now, we are only 3 weeks away from being where Italy is now. I can understand the govt doesn’t want to induce panic but the time to act is asap

Social source share

Blimey could the Government be in isolation ?

The health minister Nadine Dorries has become the first MP to be diagnosed with coronavirus, prompting concerns about the potential spread of the illness at Westminster and even at Downing Street, where she attended a reception last week.

The Department of Health and Social Care DHSC confirmed that Dorries, the Conservative MP for Mid Bedfordshire since 2005 and a bestselling author of fiction, had tested positive for the infection.

The identity of the individual who infected her is unknown. Focus will now fall on tracking down and testing the potentially hundreds of people Dorries will have been in contact with in the past week, both in parliament and at the health department.

‘I’m wearing a face mask’: how doctors deal with the coronavirus risk in their daily lives

She also attended a Downing Street reception last week for International Women’s Day where the prime minister, Boris Johnson, and his fiancee, Carrie Symonds, were among guests present.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/health-minister-nadine-dorries-diagnosed-with-coronavirus

Social source share

I went to collect a meal for myself and some friends from our local Indian takeaway on Friday night.  This particular restaurant is one of the most popular in Wellingborough, always packed on Friday and Sat nights - Friday night I saw there were lots of empty seats, and they said they were already 30% down.

I really feel for small businesses such as these, not knowing how long this will last - Are they going to be able to survive?

Len :thumbsup: 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Len said:

I really feel for small businesses such as these, not knowing how long this will last - Are they going to be able to survive?

The PRICK that owns the company where I work has removed all the dust masks and disposable latex gloves off the shop floor and put them in the office!!! Why because he can keep a eye on them apparently.   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 offtopic posts dropped

Ask lets keep things factual/serious with this topic here - this topic  is in the main forum and the aim for it is it to be both informative and useful to all members...

There's another topic thats been setup for offtopic related c v talk etc here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/406343-offtopic-corona-virus-related-talk/?do=getLastComment

best if you use that for the non serious/ non factual stuff

thanks

Social source share

4 hours ago, Monny1916 said:

BREAKING NEWS,,, MAN CITY V ARSENAL,,, POSTPONED

Which has seriously pissed me off! I'm a City season ticket holder, although I live more than 200 miles to the north, (beyond the wall). In order to keep costs down, I have to book train tickets and hotel rooms well in advance. Needless to say, getting any sort of refund at such a late date is nigh on impossible. This season, so far, has been a nightmare. "Issues" with TransPennine and Northern, storms shutting half the country down, and now this Covid-19 thing. All in all, I've spent a great deal of my available (pension) money for no return. I'm having serious doubts as to whether a season ticket is worth the hassle and expense. Oh well, at least todays latest cancellation was in time for me not to set off. I'd have been incandescent if I'd been between Edinburgh and Preston when this news broke!

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

The PRICK that owns the company where I work has removed all the dust masks and disposable latex gloves off the shop floor and put them in the office!!! Why because he can keep a eye on them apparently.   

Dust masks are useless anyway.  They have to be proper surgical masks.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

posts have been moved to other freebasing topic...

again...

19 hours ago, Mike said:

An official advice link is below, it be best stick to that on here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Know the facts

To make sure you get the best information on the novel coronavirus, resources are available from the Department of Health and Social Care.

Visit the NHS website

@DHSCgovuk

Social source share

I've just heard my stepson has been advised to self-isolate.

Didn't feel well so rung up hotline. Granddaughter off school now too but wife had to go to work today on instruction from her employer.

He's being sent a test kit but hopefully it's nothing.

One small nag is that he's in RAF at Brize Norton which is where evacs from China were flown into at end of January. Not sure if more flights since then. He'd returned from BN to Clitheroe yesterday when he fell ill.

Social source share

We're meant to be going to America very soon.  Woke up this morning to the news that all travel from Europe to America is banned, obviously a bit disappointed having looked forward to it for a whole year, but 'your health is your wealth' as they say, so you suck it up and carry on.  Turns out, it doesn't include the UK, so what with that and I expect many Americans steering clear of Disney, those long queues will be non-existent.  

Not a time for laughs now though - Going in these conditions won't be that 'Magical'.

Best of luck ref your Stepson Rod, and everyone else of course.

Social source share

On 05/03/2020 at 13:16, Speedlimit said:

OK it's here the coronavirus  spreading around the country daily so Promoters of the big weekenders and larger venues, I ask this if it turns to an epidemic are you going to cancel your venue, 

Some promoters are already cancelling , including for this weekend advising  'having taken advice ...' . Others? 

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share

Cobra Meeting now . So i guess decision on large gathering will be announced this afternoon. 

Taking decisions away from Promoters. 

Will be interesting if they provide a war chest .

To compensate those who can claim lost revenue.  

Edited by Soulfulmerlin
Spelling
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Cobra Meeting now . So i guess decision on large gathering will be announced this afternoon. 

Will be interesting if they provide a war chest .

To compensate those who can claim lost revenue.  

Why on earth do you think the government should provide a war chest for a cancelled event or any other event where people have the choice of going or not ,, FOR GODS SAKE MAN GROW UP AND THINK OF THE BIGGER PICTURE ,,,, DEATH IS PRICELESS ,,,, Stephen 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Monny1916 said:

Why on earth do you think the government should provide a war chest for a cancelled event or any other event where people have the choice of going or not ,, FOR GODS SAKE MAN GROW UP AND THINK OF THE BIGGER PICTURE ,,,, DEATH IS PRICELESS ,,,, Stephen 

Think life is priceless.  Government is prepared to pay entrepreneurs loss of earnings.  Was a thought  . Do see your point regarding costs .

Made my decision staying home . Trying to stay safe . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Dutch prime minister has just given a press briefing announcing that all events with more than 100 people (including sporting ones) are cancelled until the end of the month. 

Selfishly, that's annoying as the biannual Northern Soul cruise from Hull was scheduled to come to NL next Thursday, and the afternoon mini-dayer in Amsterdam is always a good crack, especially being on a school day! But, health first.

Also, the advice here now is to work from home of you can (which I do, so no change for me). Schools won't be closing though, as that's considered to be too disruptive, and young people are much less at risk from Covid-19.

Additionally, the advice is to keep visits to elderly relative/friends to a minimum to reduce the risk of infection, *and to not travel abroad*.  (*Clarification given on Dutch media: healthworkers (one of the at-risk categories) should not travel abroad*)

Still only two people infected in our local borough, thankfully, but obviously we'll be keeping a very close eye on developments.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Clarification
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Just seen the latest UK figures for today - 590 so far - up 130 since yesterday & still a long way to go. This government has failed us enormously - there should have been airport checks from day one on absolutely everyone entering the country & isolating anyone who seems in the least bit ill. Instead they are STILL freely allowing flights in from anywhere & everywhere totally unchecked. China has a lot to answer for! 

Edited by Kathryn Magson
Social source share

Just now, Kathryn Magson said:

Just seen the latest figures for today - 590 so far - up 130 since yesterday & still a long way to go. This government has failed us enormously - there should have been airport checks from day one on absolutely everyone entering the country & isolating anyone who seems in the least bit ill. Instead they are STILL freely allowing flights in from anywhere & everywhere totally unchecked. China has a lot to answer for! 

Agreed , but what about ferry checks and Channel Tunnel train checks , I wonder how many have slipped through that net, it's not all about flying

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Kevinkent said:

Damn, I feel sh!te. Just a cold and not even pretending it might be Corona Virus, but if my defences are lowered it's a worry.

In '89 I was really ill for a couple of weeks and later it was discovered that the source of the London Piccadilly legionella outbreak that was occuring, was a water cooling tower situated about 30 metres from my open office window.   In 2002 I was hospitalised as a procedural measure when it was thought I was possibly suffering from ricin poisoning.    Third time lucky eh?

I don't particularly want to go through that type of illness again, or even tedious NHS procedures, so while my defences are lowered I'm self isolating. On my second day now and it's pretty easy because I'm retired. Only 5 days to go and I might lay it on a bit so I can avoid all those little things that need doing around the house.

Right.....time to wind the record player up.

Keep safe,

- Kev

The symptoms of coronavirus are:

a cough

a high temperature

shortness of breath

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

3 more in Chorley.  Also first case reported in Clitheroe.  Scotland has spiked to 60 in 24 hrs Community transmission has now been proven . So . Answer clear as day to me . Stay home till it has a vaccine.  Most of us are 60 and susceptible to catching it .

Give us a link to Clitheroe case please.

That's where stepson is [and me]

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

It was said by an expert on a phone in this morning that you would have a greater chance of catching the virus in a crowded pub than at a large gathering like a football match. 

Social source share