Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

1 hour ago, Thinksmart said:

Len - you may know by now but UK is not in the countries restricted by USA in flights. You will need to check on advisability of the trip near the time.

Yes I do thanks - To be honest, as soon as Nina said all of Europe were banned from flying to the states, my reaction was 'oh well that's that then', as apposed to 'Oh that's not fair!'. 

It's a shame that our year long excitement has been somewhat stifled, but that's the way it is.

We rang Virgin as our holiday plan is to go to Hollywood for 5 days, then fly to Florida for 12 days, so we thought maybe we would be best to forget Hollywood (As California has more cases) and just go straight to Florida - We had a reassuring phone call with Virgin saying don't worry they take the official advise, all is well, go enjoy yourselves! But I have to say, we're not 'feeling it'.  I suppose it's business as usual for them until things officially change.  It's good to know we will have any support needed from them though.

Well if we get there, it will be a nice place to be stuck at I suppose :huh: 🏝️

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

We have flights booked to Geneva on Monday and then a train to Moutiers and car ride to Meribel in the French Alps to visit our son, returning on the following Saturday. As of yet we haven't been warned off travelling and my son say's all is OK in Meribel. At the moment we are about 70-30 in favour of still going but we also know things could change overnight or if we do go, will we get back OK. ??????

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Len said:

Yes I do thanks - To be honest, as soon as Nina said all of Europe were banned from flying to the states, my reaction was 'oh well that's that then', as apposed to 'Oh that's not fair!'. 

It's a shame that our year long excitement has been somewhat stifled, but that's the way it is.

We rang Virgin as our holiday plan is to go to Hollywood for 5 days, then fly to Florida for 12 days, so we thought maybe we would be best to forget Hollywood (As California has more cases) and just go straight to Florida - We had a reassuring phone call with Virgin saying don't worry they take the official advise, all is well, go enjoy yourselves! But I have to say, we're not 'feeling it'.  I suppose it's business as usual for them until things officially change.  It's good to know we will have any support needed from them though.

Well if we get there, it will be a nice place to be stuck at I suppose :huh: 🏝️

Hi Len.  As long as you took out travel insurance before all this broke out you should be refunded if govt. advice is to NOT travel (which I strongly suspect it will be in 2 weeks time! as I think UK is only excluded at present because we have comparatively lower rates than (IT,DE,ES & FR)).  I heard today that some insurance companies are not covering for this from now on (e.g. Aviva https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51826295 ) It's called something like 'travel disruption' - so check your insurance.  Just thought though ... I know this is the case if it's UK govt advice but need to check if you're covered if it's a foreign govt. that's restricting travel.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulstrutter said:

Hi Len.  As long as you took out travel insurance before all this broke out you should be refunded if govt. advice is to NOT travel (which I strongly suspect it will be in 2 weeks time! as I think UK is only excluded at present because we have comparatively lower rates than (IT,DE,ES & FR)).  I heard today that some insurance companies are not covering for this from now on (e.g. Aviva https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51826295 ) It's called something like 'travel disruption' - so check your insurance.  Just thought though ... I know this is the case if it's UK govt advice but need to check if you're covered if it's a foreign govt. that's restricting travel.

Good point, I'll check.  That said, apart from losing a load of money if as you elude to we may not be covered if it's a foreign government that says we can't travel, that would be typical - Especially as it's mainly some of my long owned and cherished records that have paid for this trip! :huh:......If we can't go we can't go (Our insurance covering that expense would be extremely welcome of course) Jeeze, not being covered would be painful! 

I don't know about everyone else, but we are kind of self isolating regardless of government advise, or our holiday - Work only / Staying at home / Food shopping really early (Already panic bought my whiskey, so I'm alright Jack) We're also keeping our kids away from their clubs - Guitar / Dance / Boxing (Not the same kid) :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

And another... the organisers of tomorrows "Soul Cruise goes Kit Bar" event in Düsseldorf, Germany, have announced it is cancelled.

https://www.facebook.com/events/109369863842343/

<Added>

Likewise, Dublin's Pow City soul night on Saturday (14/03) is cancelled.

https://www.facebook.com/events/194419981626408/

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Social source share

There are around 50 events on this Saturday including a weekender, out of which 3 have been cancelled. At the end of the day people will make their own choices as to go out or stay in, and anyone that's feeling unwell I'm pretty sure will stay at home. If anyone does suffer with poor health [ and I know plenty of us do] then again I'm sure they will stay home, so the events that are on will be affected one way or another , but lets face it , we will probably see more people in the supermarket than in a club.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Paddy Ferry said:

There are around 50 events on this Saturday including a weekender, out of which 3 have been cancelled. At the end of the day people will make their own choices as to go out or stay in, and anyone that's feeling unwell I'm pretty sure will stay at home. If anyone does suffer with poor health [ and I know plenty of us do] then again I'm sure they will stay home, so the events that are on will be affected one way or another , but lets face it , we will probably see more people in the supermarket than in a club.

Thought it was 2 Weekenders . Agree with your comment.  Can't be any other with Government guidelines in place . It's personal choice .

At this moment in time . Though seems subject to change on daily basis . Given its currently a untreatable Virus . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

In particular, I've seen much criticism of the decision not to shut schools in the UK when, according to the mass media, that's what every other country in Europe is doing.

It's not - schools aren't closing here in the Netherlands, and BoJo, health advisors, etc, are echoing the exact same reasons as was given by Dutch Prime Minister Rutte and his advisors. The media, but we know this of course, is divisive, and deliberately so.

However, at a time like this, unity is crucial - not undermining the government and the health experts who advise it.  

You have spoken more sense than most UNITY IS VITAL everyone thinks they're an expert , every year people die of natural causes we know,,, this a not a natural cause ,, people are dying unnecessarily, life is very short as it is ,, I bet you can all remember England winning the World Cup but I bet most don't realise it was 54 years ago  when grannies were vulnerable old Ladies ,, Now we are in that bracket I implore people please be sensible and safe ,,,Hopefully  when it all blows over we can hit the floor again and get on with our lives regards Stephen 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Coronavirus in the UK: Police to get powers to detain people suspected of having Covid-19 under emergency law. I recommend reading this, emergency measures coming and to be in place for 2 years. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-the-uk-police-to-get-powers-to-detain-people-suspected-of-having-covid-19-under-emergency-law/ar-BB11b6e0?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by Imperial C
Social source share

On 12/03/2020 at 22:46, Len said:

Good point, I'll check.  That said, apart from losing a load of money if as you elude to we may not be covered if it's a foreign government that says we can't travel, that would be typical - Especially as it's mainly some of my long owned and cherished records that have paid for this trip! :huh:......If we can't go we can't go (Our insurance covering that expense would be extremely welcome of course) Jeeze, not being covered would be painful! 

I don't know about everyone else, but we are kind of self isolating regardless of government advise, or our holiday - Work only / Staying at home / Food shopping really early (Already panic bought my whiskey, so I'm alright Jack) We're also keeping our kids away from their clubs - Guitar / Dance / Boxing (Not the same kid) :D

Sorry Len, looks like UK and Ireland added to 30 day US travel ban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51891662

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've just checked my travel policy and there is no mention of foreign govt. restrictions ... only UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice (a possible get-out for insurers ... but I seen no 'tangible' difference whether UK says don't travel 'there' or US says don't travel 'here'... surely if a country's not going to let you in then the UK advice should be not to travel there??? but what has common sense a law got in common?) Just checked F&CO site and it hasn't been updated yet for US ... but I would hope that by Monday it's advising against travel to US. (It already is for China, Iran, Italy & Spain).

Anyway the point is that if govt. advice is not to travel then your insurance 'should' cover you as long as you took out travel insurance before this all 'kicked off' i.e. a least a few weeks ago.  If you are buying travel insurance now forget it - you WON'T be covered (unless you can pay extra for that specific insurance which I suspect will be very expensive).  My advice is don't book anything if you're not prepared to risk losing it all! ... as govt. is coming under pressure to take more drastic action.

Also, just heard something on BBC news channel that if it is a package holiday and you are restricted to travel to a certain country, then the travel company should refund you ... but don't take my word for it check first.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Soulfusion said:

Sorry Len, looks like UK and Ireland added to 30 day US travel ban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51891662

Yup it sure does.  The kids are pretty upset of course, but I'm being practical - I wouldn't want to go now in these worldly circumstances.  Although I was so looking forward to having 21 days away from the stresses of work, it looks like I now need to brace myself to try to ride the recession of this, which will effect us all.

I've been arguing with Nina about the British reporter who asked......"President Trump, you have banned all travel from Europe to America, given the increase in cases in the UK and Ireland, will you be adding those to the list of counties not allowed to travel to America?"......."Well we'll look at that"......My argument is - Why did she tell him?!!! / Nina says he will know anyway / No, Donald Trump doesn't concentrate! 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Len said:

Yup it sure does.  The kids are pretty upset of course, but I'm being practical - I wouldn't want to go now in these worldly circumstances.  Although I was so looking forward to having 21 days away from the stresses of work, it looks like I now need to brace myself to try to ride the recession of this, which will effect us all.

I've been arguing with Nina about the British reporter who asked......"President Trump, you have banned all travel from Europe to America, given the increase in cases in the UK and Ireland, will you be adding those to the list of counties not allowed to travel to America?"......."Well we'll look at that"......My argument is - Why did she tell him?!!! / Nina says he will know anyway / No, Donald Trump doesn't concentrate! 

Ha ... I don't think even HE is THAT stupid!.  I did say in my reply to you yesterday that it would only be a matter of time before we were added to the list!  (but didn't think it would be that quick ... I 'wonder' if he didn't announce it as Irish PM was with him at the time!!!!) I'm sure your kids are upset and perhaps don't fully understand ... but I'm with you ... I wouldn't take the chance as you could get stuck out there .. or have to be quarantined when you get back ... far more hassle than it's worth.  Hope your insurance or travel company pays out and then you can go again another time.👍

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 13/03/2020 at 13:10, Blackpoolsoul said:

Some reports are suggesting that a large proportion of the population NEEDS to get the virus as a form of immunity in the future ?

It seems to me that what ever is done there is No specific way round this horrible situation and I hope and pray for those poor people who are going to suffer and me and my wife are just avoiding crowds (so would never consider going to any event) and keeping our fingers crossed and spirits up, but we are very nervous especially for my parents who are in there 80's and my mum bless her has cancer and appointments at the hospital to contend with 😭

My 82 year old father said exactly that; the more people get it the better as they build up an immunity to it, obviously he wasn’t talking about people in their 80’s or others at risk. 

He said he can remember Mums having “Chicken Pox parties” so once a child in the area contracted CP other Mums would go round to their houses so their own child would contract it & become immune. (I’m not suggesting CV/C19 parties, I’m just stating what they have done in the olden days 😊)

I hope your Mums cancer treatment goes well and both your parents stay fit & unaffected during these times

Edited by Alison H
Clarity
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Alison H said:

My 82 year old father said exactly that; the more people get it the better as they build up an immunity to it, obviously he wasn’t talking about people in their 80’s or others at risk. 

He said he can remember Mums having “Chicken Pox parties” so once a child in the area contracted CP other Mums would go round to their houses so their own child would contract it & become immune. 

I hope your Mums cancer treatment goes well and both your parents stay fit & unaffected during these times

I saw a report that reported that some have had it twice so do you get immunity? 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I saw a report that reported that some have had it twice so do you get immunity? 

We don't know. I understand that there are at least two more strains of the virus which have started up. It is likely to mutate like most viruses, so this immunity once infected is guesswork at this point. Make your own minds up, but it was Katie Hopkins suggesting "chickenpox parties". 🙄  

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Steve G said:

We don't know. I understand that there are at least two more strains of the virus which have started up. It is likely to mutate like most viruses. Make your own minds up, but it was Katie Hopkins suggesting "chickenpox parties". 🙄

Same as anything, as resistance grows it will mutate 

What the governments chief scientific advisor says about Herd Immunity/Natures Vaccine

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-is-herd-immunity-and-how-will-it-help-prevent-spread-of-covid-19-11956941

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I wonder how they know they’ve had it twice?  Unless they’ve been tested for it twice ?  

I don’t know the answer as so much is unknown about Covid 19 at the moment. I’m just exercising caution in everything I do 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Steve G said:

We don't know. I understand that there are at least two more strains of the virus which have started up. It is likely to mutate like most viruses, so this immunity once infected is guesswork at this point. Make your own minds up, but it was Katie Hopkins suggesting "chickenpox parties". 🙄  

Steve - just to make it clear I’m not suggesting CV parties 😊

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Alison H said:

I went to my local Morrison’s yesterday & was horrified at the bedlam I saw in there.

It was like the shoppers thought the World was going to end. Trolly’s piled high, queues worse than Christmas Time, angry people huffing & puffing. Complete chaos & so unnecessary.

I got my 3 items & queued for about 10 minutes at the express tills. I was tempted to put the items back but 2 items were for my 82 year old father & the other was Vitamin D supplements, for me, as my scientist friend has suggested these to help fight off any virus’s (so I guess I’m falling into the media frenzy too) 

I believe people should do everything they can to delay the spread of the virus but to panic buy in bulk with such aggression is madness. 

Happy & healthy shopping guys.

It brings out the worst in human emotions i.e. FEAR & GREED ... but do the people who are buying up all the hand wash/wipes/disinfectant etc. realise that by hoarding it for themselves it prevents others buying some ... hence the disease WILL spread ... totally counterproductive!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There is no shortage that is what makes this sp bewildering.  We deliver loo rolls from one manufacturer, warehouses full, constant supply of paper to make more.  We also deliver rice at times, again no shortage.  No need to panic buy anything.  With a fever I doubt you will eat too much anyway for a week.

The toilet roll thing is definitely bewildering this disease does not infect the bowels , I suppose those doing it are just big ass holes. 🙂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Some rationing is already in place here - paracetamol, for example. But that needs to be expanded because people are unable to restrain themselves from panic buying. Just been down to our local supermarket and it's an absolute bunfight - people with arms full of toilet rolls, trolleys bursting with stuff.

And lots of shelves and chiller units are empty because people are stocking up their freezers, likely with foodstuff they wouldn't normally buy. And the bread counter was empty at midday.  

Also, while the accepted line is that the elderly are at greatest risk from COVID-19, a news report this morning points out that of the 40-50 people currently in intensive care here in NL, more than half are under fifty. They include two 16-year-olds and a 38-year-old marathon runner. However, the mortality rate for younger people is considerably lower than it is for older folk.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

Bog roll story was probably a lazy journalist. Photograph empty shelves, report panic buying and thus panic buying is created, its that easy. Probably done during a stock changeover.

Over the last couple of days both the local supermarkets here in our little corner of the Netherlands (one being a Lidl) have been out of toilet paper, kitchen roll, hand soap, paracetamol, pasta and more. Even other shops where you can normally get painkillers and toiletry basics have been stripped clean.

The supermarket we went to did have stock of toilet rolls about an hour ago, but people were buying them in bulk (as they have been doing for about a week now), so I expect they'll be out of stock again shortly - if they aren't already. And I heard a story yesterday (from the UK), that in some places shopkeepers are opening packs and selling rolls of toilet paper individually at ridiculous prices.

Media reportage of empty shelves isn't helping, but ultimately panic buying and profiteering represent the worst side of human nature and will always show in times of crisis.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Alison H said:

I went to my local Morrison’s yesterday & was horrified at the bedlam I saw in there.

It was like the shoppers thought the World was going to end. Trolly’s piled high, queues worse than Christmas Time, angry people huffing & puffing. Complete chaos & so unnecessary.

I got my 3 items & queued for about 10 minutes at the express tills. I was tempted to put the items back but 2 items were for my 82 year old father & the other was Vitamin D supplements, for me, as my scientist friend has suggested these to help fight off any virus’s (so I guess I’m falling into the media frenzy too) 

I believe people should do everything they can to delay the spread of the virus but to panic buy in bulk with such aggression is madness. 

Happy & healthy shopping guys.

Yep, just been to Aldi over the road.

Toilet rolls gone and now signs up limiting buys.

Loads of people with full trollies.

I'm not usually charitable in my opinion of my fellow human beings and at first looking around I did think what a bunch of morons but then I thought maybe they're buying for parents so a full trolley could cover a family plus two sets of parents and then it didn't seem particularly excessive.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

We just ventured up town for a bit of fresh air, and to do bit of shopping - We saw someone wearing a full gas mask!

On the way home we met a neighbour who works in Aldi, and she said that someone handed over some money that was wet with bleach.  A row followed after the lady at the till said she couldn't except it because she couldn't check if counterfeit, and that the liquid on the notes could be dangerous.

She said there's loads of confrontation going on, even to the point where two poor cashier girls have been reduced to tears.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Just Hope that Common Sense does prevail or have we learned nothing from the past that’s what’s frightening 

KR

ML

Well common sense seems to have gone out of the window in Bath today where over 6000 took part in a half marathon .

Edited by Shinehead
Social source share

Its the government and media that are causing the panic. I'm afraid Matt Hancock has brought me out the other end of my concerned phase and rapidly into my lost interest phase. Telling pensioners they should self isolate for months on end, what nonsense to hear him talk about protecting the vulnerable after inflicting a load more anxiety and worry on them all.

The politicians and media need to get a grip and start acting with some responsibility, tone it down and be a bit more measured in what they say, re-assure the population, not frighten them to death.

By the time Johnson gets his 2 year emergency measures through this week, this country will look very different.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

Its the government and media that are causing the panic. I'm afraid Matt Hancock has brought me out the other end of my concerned phase and rapidly into my lost interest phase. Telling pensioners they should self isolate for months on end, what nonsense to hear him talk about protecting the vulnerable after inflicting a load more anxiety and worry on them all.

The politicians and media need to get a grip and start acting with some responsibility, tone it down and be a bit more measured in what they say, re-assure the population, not frighten them to death.

By the time Johnson gets his 2 year emergency measures through this week, this country will look very different.

I agree and there is a risk that we just switch off as it is all about CV whenever we turn on the news.

But ... to be brutally honest ... I think the govt. is more concerned about the effects on the economy if they 'shut down' the country ... and to fair it will affect far more people than CV.  Norwegian air (https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norwegian-on-the-brink/) and BA (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51875271) have already announced job cuts. Most travel companies will be affected and the hospitality sector in particular (pubs, clubs, restaurants hotels etc.) will be hammered and FTSE is already down 30% (you'll see that drop further and quicker if/when govt announces any lockdown!

It's not an easy decision and no doubt whatever they do it will be criticised.  Pressure is building on govt. to follow what other countries are doing ... hence the panic buying going on ... as I would guess it's only matter of time unless the figures drastically reduce.

If you believe the figures coming out of China, (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/) they peaked after about 3/4 weeks and cases have been reducing (only 25 yesterday) ... but it's a different story in Europe and Italy (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/) after 4 weeks is still increasing (3,500) reported yesterday!  I suspect that the Chinese tried to cover it up early doors so if we add a coupe of weeks to what's happening there then hopefully in a couple of weeks we will start to see numbers decline?  Perhaps that's why the govt. is havering ... but 'arguably' they only declined in China because of lockdown and will only reduce in Italy/Spain because of lockdown?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I’m totally disappointed with human nature with this crisis, it’s nothing but selfish behaviour, mob mentality, it really shows up the bad side of human nature, a bit of self control ,empathy , common sense and discipline would definitely tip the balance in the right direction, you can actually feel the badness in the air while shopping in the supermarkets, Just Hope that Common Sense does prevail or have we learned nothing from the past that’s what’s frightening 

KR

Couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, there are a number of people in Britain - maybe 5% or 10% ? -- who are so selfish and thick that they will never be persuaded to do anything other than exactly what they want to do and screw the rest of us. There are doubtless still millions of people who equate Britain with demonstrating a 'Blitz Spirit" when things get tough so God knows what they think when they see people fighting over sodding toilet rolls. Pathetic beyond words. At least the majority of people WILL rise above it thankfully.  If someone is frightened by all this, fair enough, but sheer stupidity is something else. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

When people behave like they are doing it creates another infectious disease which is panic and fear which manifests in lashing out verbally physically knocking on to plain old nastiness, They do need to get a grip show a little respect instead of the me me me syndrome and things would improve dramatically , Let’s just hope they do try to make some kind of effort I’d like to think they would at least feel better for doing so although I for 1 won’t be holding my breath

KR

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share