Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

45 minutes ago, Alison H said:

Instead of just focusing on the deaths (which I appreciate they have to & it’s news we need to know)  I would add at the end of news bulletins how many people are recovering from Covid 19. I can see why they don’t as they want people to take this seriously but a bit of positivity every now & then wouldn’t go amiss & would be welcome. 

... unfortunately the reason is probably because currently more have died (35) than recovered (20)! https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ .. and that's more scary! .. but  obviously it has to run it's course (7-14 days before all clear) and then recoveries will outnumber deaths.  But there are probably thousands more cases that haven't been reported because the symptoms have been so mild.

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

Instead of just focusing on the deaths (which I appreciate they have to & it’s news we need to know)  I would add at the end of news bulletins how many people are recovering from Covid 19. I can see why they don’t as they want people to take this seriously but a bit of positivity every now & then wouldn’t go amiss & would be welcome. 

Good point Alison and totally agree, the missing piece of the jigsaw.

And to add that when people have recovered they should be off the total cases list and on to a recovered catergory, this is the only way to get some real perspective and accurate recording. Essential.

You're right and I recommend using this site to get the 'official' figures. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Total Cases (1,372)  less deaths (35) less recoveries (20) = Active Cases (1,317) of which currently less than 2% (20) are critical

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I know Pierce Morgan rants on about Boris etc not doing interviews on his morning program (Can't say I blame him to be honest) But it seems that Donald Trump (Love him or loath him) and his team of experts are addressing the American people every day over this.

Surely Boris Johnson should be doing the same for us - I know Matt Hancock (Health Secretary) is doing his best, but he's a bit of a 'wet lettuce'.  We need our leader not only to up-date us, but to also reassure us every day.

I also agree with what Alison stated ref the news should also be telling us any positive stories about those who have recovered.

I didn't share this in my earlier post as I know I can 'go on' a bit.  But at Morrison's there was a woman right behind me who was coughing and sneezing, I looked round, and honestly, she looked so ill, her face was wet with sweat - Her going out shopping in that state was highly irresponsible.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

So much information and mis-information and  now that Trump is attempting to weaponise the antidote by securing it 'exclusively' for the USA  things are getting strange. Best to read widely and see what's happening on all fronts I reckon. We certainly aren't going to crap ourselves to death so god knows why people are bulk buying bog roll....

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html

https://tbsnews.net/opinion/coronavirus-and-event-201-eerily-similar-41469

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What I found very surprising doing my weekly shop yesterday; no rice, pasta, baked beans, flour, eggs etc. was that despite feeling forced to buy a nine pack of toilet roll (no four packs available) the shelves of tissues were well stocked and appeared almost untouched. Strange.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Steve G said:

I agree Mick. I suppose the writing was on the wall a few years ago when KFC ran out of chicken and the country went into meltdown, calling the police etc. I don't think it's 5-10% selfish people, more like 50-75%. We as a nation have lost the plot unfortunately.

Hi Ste

Thats the problem there are more of them than us

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Hi Ste

Thats the problem there are more of them than us

ML

Hiya Mick,

Unfortunately, its been going this way for years and years. Successive generations of kids have been "educated" to "feel", not to think logically. The "me,me,me" culture has been with us for decades. Look at the way many people drive today. No consideration, no manners, no thought for anyone else, wherever you look. Gone is the "blitz spirit", probably never to return. We, as a nation, are seemingly no longer able to "cope".  Our politicians no longer help, but aim to score cheap political points whenever a new "crisis" occurs. Our media exacerbate any situation, and sensationalise everything at the drop of a hat. Its a pretty sad state of affairs really.

So, given the above, and the traditional Brit way of dealing with adversity, I'm off to put the kettle on. Not much a brew and an eccles cake cant fix!

Keep safe (and happy) everyone, 

Toodle Pip!

Social source share

On 16/03/2020 at 05:49, Drewtg said:

The disappointing thing for me is that you guys are being laughed at. What's with all the panic buying? Complaining about events being cancelled? Come on guys, you're better than that!

I've just spoken to someone in New Zealand and the panic buying is happening there too and yes you guessed it, loo rolls, totally irrational but it builds a picture for those who can see it.

People commenting on events being cancelled is just people trying to make sense of and adjust to this new world in which we all find ourselves, which is very very different to the one we lived in 2 weeks ago. People are doing they're best with what they have. 

The media are responsible for their actions and should be criticised or blamed when they deserve it. After all they dish it out as a way of life. 

As for your "Disappointment", I feel for you.

Edited by Imperial C
Social source share

a video posted containing usa doctors advice has been  dropped, two videos by a uk retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse dropped

Please if you are going to post/give health advice to other members on this topic can you please ensure that it comes from an reputable uk official based source such as the NHS

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Imperial C said:

The media are responsible for their actions and should be criticised or blamed when they deserve it. After all they dish it out as a way of life, demanding that everyone lives by standards they couldn't possibly attain themselves.. 

As for your "Disappointment", I feel for you.

I think you misunderstand me. If people do stupid, selfish things, they can't turn around and say "it's the media's fault". People are responsible for their own actions. They're not children.

Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

New government advice.  Avoid pubs, clubs   theatre,  restraunts and unnecessary travel.  Looking like a whole new world out there right now 

There's going to be a lot of unhappy neighbors with all us Northern soul lot playing tunes at home this weekend.... Lol..... 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Pablorally said:

There's going to be a lot of unhappy neighbors with all us Northern soul lot playing tunes at home this weekend.... Lol..... 

Better than a lot of ill people. Plus top tunes help things seem not as bad and folk feel better. And as it’s free it’s a service for the public. Plus in lockdown who can complain....✊😇🎶😎🤧🥳

• Up vote 3
Social source share

OK, I've asked one or two medical professionals this question, and have as yet not received a sensible reply. Let's see if anyone on this forum can shed some light etc.

Firstly, a fact that apparently is conveniently being ignored by all and sundry. By all accounts, you cannot die from Covid-19. That my friends, is pretty much the truth, or so I'm reliably informed. What you CAN die from, is a secondary infection brought about by exposure to Covid-19. Usually pneumonia.

Now, here's my question. In addition to my annual 'Flu vaccination, I also received a pneumonia vaccination. Therefore, am I now immune to pneumonia even if I contract a cheeky dose of Covid-19? Or, in layman's terms, am I now fireproof?

All answers gratefully received!

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Joey said:

OK, I've asked one or two medical professionals this question, and have as yet not received a sensible reply. Let's see if anyone on this forum can shed some light etc.

Firstly, a fact that apparently is conveniently being ignored by all and sundry. By all accounts, you cannot die from Covid-19. That my friends, is pretty much the truth, or so I'm reliably informed. What you CAN die from, is a secondary infection brought about by exposure to Covid-19. Usually pneumonia.

Now, here's my question. In addition to my annual 'Flu vaccination, I also received a pneumonia vaccination. Therefore, am I now immune to pneumonia even if I contract a cheeky dose of Covid-19? Or, in layman's terms, am I now fireproof?

All answers gratefully received!

From the W.H.O. site .... 

11.thumb.png.95fb8fc836a9df24c9c2fd239a32e161.png

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Hi Joey

ok have to step in again

The reason that I ask and insist that all medical advice given in this serious topic is taken from an official uk govt source such as the nhs and posted with a link to the reference is down to the fact that the advice given could be wrong or unsuitable advice

I or other members of the team or indeed other members can not judge if any medical advice given is correct or suitable or up to date

Therefore the member does need to give a link and a reference to an official health related uk source

Ideally just the link so that if the advice does change in the future the advice would still be up to date

No bones about it, it's best if listen and use the experts 

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts

To make sure you get the best information on the novel coronavirus, resources are available from the Department of Health and Social Care.

Visit the NHS website

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Thanks for the answers and links etc. This is where it gets a bit confusing for a stupid old bugger like me, as the two medical professionals I previously asked were both NHS employees, (medical/clinical NOT admin), one being a bloody GP!!!!!!

Oh well, I think I'll just stock up on tea bags, Battenburg and Eccles cakes, and hope for the best. 

Keep safe troops! 

Social source share

12 hours ago, Joey said:

Thanks for the answers and links etc. This is where it gets a bit confusing for a stupid old bugger like me, as the two medical professionals I previously asked were both NHS employees, (medical/clinical NOT admin), one being a bloody GP!!!!!!

Oh well, I think I'll just stock up on tea bags, Battenburg and Eccles cakes, and hope for the best. 

Keep safe troops! 

But they probably know as much about this virus as the rest if us, simply following the guidance handed down from above? As for those dying they probably wouldn’t have if they hadn’t contracted covid19, not yet anyway.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

sky news segment on Italy - please read the warning 

The crisis gripping the town at the centre of the global #coronavirus crisis in Italy has been witnessed by Sky News' Chief Correspondent @ramsaysky.

Warning: It contains scenes of critically ill people.

Watch his full report here

Social source share

On 11/03/2020 at 09:44, Chalky said:

Dust masks are useless anyway.  They have to be proper surgical masks.

This is actually untrue and misleading.

The European standard for both disposable and re-usable masks and including masks with valves and half face masks or respirators has 3 classes. These are FFP1,  FFP2, and FFP3.  I've also seen FFP2 called N95 and FFP3 called N99. These N numbers maybe an American Standard but I am unsure.

Sometimes these masks are called 'Dust Masks'. The same masks may also be called Industrial or Paint Sprayers masks, or any similar title.

3M are one of the better known manufacturers. Their website now shows that respirators to FFP2 and FFP3 standard are unavailable as all stock is currently being used to supply Hospitals.

FFP1 is the least filtering mask (80%) and is actually often used as a dust mask. 

FFP2 gives a minimum of 94% - mainly used in agriculture, construction, and healthcare. Currently used as coronavirus  protection.

FFP3 gives a minimum filtration percentage of 99% and is even better protection.

A 'surgical' mask can, if it has a waterproof layer, protect against splashes of biological fluid. It will NOT protect against airborne infections or contamination from such as Coronavirus. A surgical mask is better worn by a victim/patient to prevent them cough splashing their surroundings.

Please don't take this as gospel. I am probably meant to show links etc, but that is beyond me. If you wish, use any of the above for your own on-line research and make up your own mind.

Stay safe.

- Kev

Edited by Kevinkent
Social source share

just seen this on tv

Bars, pubs, restaurants ordered to close

Boris Johnson: “We are telling all bars, clubs and restaurants to close at midnight tonight.

“We are also asking leisure centres and gyms to close.”

Says situation will be reviewed each month.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Kevinkent said:

This is actually untrue and misleading.

The European standard for both disposable and re-usable masks and including masks with valves and half face masks or respirators has 3 classes. These are FFP1,  FFP2, and FFP3.  I've also seen FFP2 called N95 and FFP3 called N99. These N numbers maybe an American Standard but I am unsure.

Sometimes these masks are called 'Dust Masks'. The same masks may also be called Industrial or Paint Sprayers masks, or any similar title.

3M are one of the better known manufacturers. Their website now shows that respirators to FFP2 and FFP3 standard are unavailable as all stock is currently being used to supply Hospitals.

FFP1 is the least filtering mask (80%) and is actually often used as a dust mask. 

FFP2 gives a minimum of 94% - mainly used in agriculture, construction, and healthcare. Currently used as coronavirus  protection.

FFP3 gives a minimum filtration percentage of 99% and is even better protection.

A 'surgical' mask can, if it has a waterproof layer, protect against splashes of biological fluid. It will NOT protect against airborne infections or contamination from such as Coronavirus. A surgical mask is better worn by a victim/patient to prevent them cough splashing their surroundings.

Please don't take this as gospel. I am probably meant to show links etc, but that is beyond me. If you wish, use any of the above for your own on-line research and make up your own mind.

Stay safe.

- Kev

When I ran an industrial paint shop the type used or called dust mask were not good enough for paint spraying.  We had respirators or air fed masks.

A respirator or mask That will filter out virus or bacteria has to be a N95 NIOSH approved/certified.  It also has to be tight fitting, a dust mask isn’t.  A dust mask will only filter larger particles and when they get damp from your breath they are almost useless.

we cannot use a dust mask for any chemical we transport either, they aren’t good enough eith in the liquid state or gas state. Again it has to be a respirator type mask  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

When I ran an industrial paint shop the type used or called dust mask were not good enough for paint spraying.  We had respirators or air fed masks.

A respirator or mask That will filter out virus or bacteria has to be a N95 NIOSH approved/certified.  It also has to be tight fitting, a dust mask isn’t.  A dust mask will only filter larger particles and when they get damp from your breath they are almost useless.

we cannot use a dust mask for any chemical we transport either, they aren’t good enough eith in the liquid state or gas state. Again it has to be a respirator type mask  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

Totally agree with you on that one Karl. I'm confined space,  / rescue and recovery trained and I have never been told to use anything else other than either a personal B A set or a oxygen supplied for anything containing moisture,  dust, fumes, smoke etc. 

Plus you need a face fit test for wearing any mask properly regardless of the type 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I guess it all boils down to what you call a dust mask. In my local B&Q today the shelves were empty but the rails for where the N95 FFP2 should have been they  were labelled as such but also as dust masks, hence the possibility for confusion which I was trying to straighten out. The same probably goes for the term 'surgical mask' which could be thought of as the comparatively inefficient disposable paper mask we often see NHS staff wearing. Not seeking to argue with you guys as I agree with you, but simply attempting to clarify the issue.

Doesn't really matter to me personally - still got my gear from the training I did at Porton Down.

- Kev

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Kevinkent said:

I guess it all boils down to what you call a dust mask. In my local B&Q today the shelves were empty but the rails for where the N95 FFP2 should have been they  were labelled as such but also as dust masks, hence the possibility for confusion which I was trying to straighten out. The same probably goes for the term 'surgical mask' which could be thought of as the comparatively inefficient disposable paper mask we often see NHS staff wearing. Not seeking to argue with you guys as I agree with you, but simply attempting to clarify the issue.

Doesn't really matter to me personally - still got my gear from the training I did at Porton Down.

- Kev

Nothing getting through that gear Kev. N.B.C suit to go with it ? 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Nothing getting through that gear Kev. N.B.C suit to go with it ? 

Yes mate, in Green and a new blue one - when I can find them. Still can't do a decent canister change !

Also got a couple of the half mask 3M respirators I mentioned from when I was doing a lot of laboratory work.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

A Crisis like this or a conflict will always bring either the best or the worst out in human nature obviously depending on the person in question when it’s good it is a fantastic uplifting experience when it’s bad it can bring out all the primal anger and greed in a nasty person but let’s not kid ourselves pretending that it’s only a small percentage of people who are bad it’s a good 50% at least who have those traits, I made a living all my life working dealing with them so look after and be thankful for good people and beware of the other kind, I suffer from Diabetes 2 am 68 years of age train every day don’t make excuses for being nasty have one of my grandsons who has Downs who as is at risk with this virus no excuse for being nasty to other people and make no mistake about it take a walk around your local Supermarkets and you can easily see what I’m saying if you can’t your either looking at the world through rose tinted glasses or take a trip to your nearest spec savers. Get Real Good People stick together and this Coronavirus can be beat like any other crisis.

God Bless

ML

Here's more of the best - my town

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-03-20/children-sing-to-bring-joy-to-elderly-people-stuck-in-virus-isolation/

• Up vote 1
Social source share