Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Latest Sky News Eye Witness report from Italy 

The most current one is just as sobering as the last one I posted

Coronavirus: 'Everyone dies alone': Heartbreak at Italian hospital on brink of collapse

Warning: It contains scenes of critically ill people.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-everyone-dies-alone-heartbreak-at-italian-hospital-on-brink-of-collapse-11961130

Social source share

The economy side of this is too huge for me and many others to fully understand.  I know the government's 80% pay out of wages is being done to keep money moving, rents paid etc, and that doesn't need to be paid back by the individuals who receive it.

I was wondering if they could just press 'pause' on the economy, as in, 'this is the year that didn't happen' (Which would include those taking exams) No one gets paid / no one has to pay for anything / Food fairly rationed. Then when it passes, just press 'play' again.

Too complicated for me I have to say.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Can't see how on earth that 80% payout will work, sorry but I am totally cynical about it. How do you stop massive and widespread fraud? where is the army of civil servants needed to process it? and how long will it take?

I am paying staff at the moment, had 4 jobs cancelled last week, got about 5 weeks worth of money in the bank. If, say, 2 more jobs cancel that's it. I'll have to make everyone redundant, it could happen Monday, Tuesday or never but in the meantime I have to keep paying out based on total uncertainty. 

Same here - Apart from the massive job to instigate this, as you say, the job of policing it will be huge.

Well done for still paying your staff - Loads are not, mainly because they are unable to.  I'm in the same boat as you, I can ride this for a little while, hoping at least some orders trickle in so I can 'eek' things out for even longer, and I'm grateful that I only have two staff to pay.  I'm also making stock items of jobs that sometimes repeat, in the hope that I will get orders for them at a later date.  Again like you, paying out, and the making of stock items is completely based on uncertainty (I run a small Sheet Metal business)

Although what has happened is colossal, what has struck me, is this has shown how fragile business is.  Yes we had the recession back in 2008, which took aprox 8 years to somewhat recover from, and to be fair lots of us are still paying off that debt.  But I hope that some businesses have managed to accumulate some funds to ride this, paying their staff for a while - Good staff are worth hanging on to for as long as possible.

The vat being differed another 3 months will help cash flow, but that still has to be paid at some point, as does personal tax which they have also differed.  I've been advised to hang on to any money until it has to be paid, but I fear if my orders completely dry up, I will then spend that money on trying to keep open, then when it's time to pay that will be the end of the road - So I'm thinking it sensible to pay my taxes whilst I can (If that makes sense)

Best of luck to you, your staff, and your business.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Kenb said:

I've just watched this again, this time with the wife (Nina) Very moving.  Not least as it looks just like our daughter Tabitha's School (All Saints Primary) It reminded us of when it was our Son Bailey's last day there when they all had a good sing song. Sadly it seems that last day for Tabitha won't happen being as she's going to secondary school next year.

A lovely thought getting the kids to do that for the older folk.

Thanks for posting.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Len said:

Same here - Apart from the massive job to instigate this, as you say, the job of policing it will be huge.

Well done for still paying your staff - Loads are not, mainly because they are unable to.  I'm in the same boat as you, I can ride this for a little while, hoping at least some orders trickle in so I can 'eek' things out for even longer, and I'm grateful that I only have two staff to pay.  I'm also making stock items of jobs that sometimes repeat, in the hope that I will get orders for them at a later date.  Again like you, paying out, and the making of stock items is completely based on uncertainty (I run a small Sheet Metal business)

Although what has happened is colossal, what has struck me, is this has shown how fragile business is.  Yes we had the recession back in 2008, which took aprox 8 years to somewhat recover from, and to be fair lots of us are still paying off that debt.  But I hope that some businesses have managed to accumulate some funds to ride this, paying their staff for a while - Good staff are worth hanging on to for as long as possible.

The vat being differed another 3 months will help cash flow, but that still has to be paid at some point, as does personal tax which they have also differed.  I've been advised to hang on to any money until it has to be paid, but I fear if my orders completely dry up, I will then spend that money on trying to keep open, then when it's time to pay that will be the end of the road - So I'm thinking it sensible to pay my taxes whilst I can (If that makes sense)

Best of luck to you, your staff, and your business.

And to you!, I've got 2 staff as well but, as you, any more jobs cancelled it comes down to do I pay them, my mortgage or the taxman? And what do they do if there's no work? You can't pay people to sit around in the hope that things will change soon. Would be fine if I have millions, or even thousands in the bank but who in the real world does.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

And to you!, I've got 2 staff as well but, as you, any more jobs cancelled it comes down to do I pay them, my mortgage or the taxman? And what do they do if there's no work? You can't pay people to sit around in the hope that things will change soon. Would be fine if I have millions, or even thousands in the bank but who in the real world does.

I think pay the tax man (you have to regardless) Then your mortgage, then your staff as long as you possibly can - Not particularly a charity gesture, although I like to think some people do care, but to keep those staff of whom you value.  There's always something to do - We will sort out our steel rack, then our bolt stores for a start (We have nuts as well!) :D

Making 'Stock' is a worthy gamble if that is something you can do - What is your business btw?

Jeeeze, it's gone 3.00am - I'm not sad, I'm up tuning in to 'The Bury Virtual All-nighter' :wink:

Social source share

"We can't understand why the UK won't lock down and monitor people entering the country. It's madness, and very suspicious."

Not sure who the we is, but very interested in your use of the word suspicious, what do you mean? What is suspicious?

You've made a few posts on here on this very topic of lockdown, and said there are too many F ing experts on here, but you seem to be portraying yourself as a bit of an expert yourself. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

"We can't understand why the UK won't lock down and monitor people entering the country. It's madness, and very suspicious."

Not sure who the we is, but very interested in your use of the word suspicious, what do you mean? What is suspicious?

You've made a few posts on here on this very topic of lockdown, and said there are too many F ing experts on here, but you seem to be portraying yourself as a bit of an expert yourself. 

Apologies for the confusion. "We" refers to the British expat community in China.

Suspicious is an adjective

Def: having or showing a cautious distrust of someone or something.

'he was suspicious of their motives'

synonyms: doubtful, unsure, dubious, wary, chary, sceptical, distrustful, mistrustful, disbelieving, having reservations, apprehensive, cynical, jaundiced, iffy.

I advised someone to avoid social media "initially", during  self confinement. I never mentioned this site, though on reflection, maybe I should have.

I have never claimed expertise, only experience of the matter at hand, of which, you seem to take exception to any criticism of the government's handling of the matter.

Btw, my prediction of 500 dead by Monday is looking about right.

This time next week there will be over 3000 dead. Let's hope the government has acted by then.

Social source share

We all want to thank God or the Universe that Corbyn and that bunch of clowns didn’t get in power because trust me the UK would have been in complete chaos with this going on, we would have been bankrupt, fighting on the streets and anarchy would be taking place right now and nobody can tell me any different, Just follow the advice keep calm, be patient and stay disciplined, pull for one another if it’s needed stay positive and tell it like it is.

KR

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Yes, so much more comforting when we're already on our second Chancellor and there's an unelected dalek in charge of policy who has already managed to alienate the very people whose cooperation and expertise will now be required more than ever to keep things working, i.e., the civil service. In addition, there seems to be a very unpleasant ideology at the heart of this government which certainly echoes World War 2, but not in the way Johnson would like:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/22/no-10-denies-claim-dominic-cummings-argued-to-let-old-people-die

Still 100 times better than that set of illiterate buffoons what are masquerading as a Labour Party they are a disgrace to the nation nothing to say except trying to score political points when the Uk is in a Crisis , The only positive thing about them is they will never ever get in power again.

Take it easy

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Source Team said:

Can we drop the uk political chat and keep roughly to the below

Corona Virus - Promoters, Events, Real World  a serious topic for discussion and information regarding events, promoters, and real world official UK Govt Virus news/advice discussion

we do have a 'current affairs ' forum if you wish to talk about more general political issues

Well said.... Getting ridiculous now.... 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

We all want to thank God or the Universe that Corbyn and that bunch of clowns didn’t get in power because trust me the UK would have been in complete chaos with this going on, we would have been bankrupt, fighting on the streets and anarchy would be taking place right now and nobody can tell me any different, Just follow the advice keep calm, be patient and stay disciplined, pull for one another if it’s needed stay positive and tell it like it is.

KR

ML

WTF?! Its not the Blitz.....sounds like regurgitating the Daily Mail or Star.....

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Boris asked takeaways to stay open. didn't he ?

MacDonalds and Nando's are closing in the UK .......completely

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/costa-nandos-latest-close-after-3973554

I believe takeaways, as in no one sitting in the actual restaurant is ok - Let's hope for their sake that this stays the case.  It's good to hear that lots of pubs are managing to adjust things by now doing take out meals.  In fact, people I know are making an extra effort to use their local pub's new service to support them.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Len said:

I believe takeaways, as in no one sitting in the actual restaurant is ok - Let's hope for their sake that this stays the case.  It's good to hear that lots of pubs are managing to adjust things by now doing take out meals.  In fact, people I know are making an extra effort to use their local pub's new service to support them.

That was yesterday, I am sorry but they are completely closing, This may force Boris and the gig working situation ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51999604

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Just now, Blackpoolsoul said:

Yes I saw that, but people sit in and eat at McDonalds and Nandos, whereas there is no contact with takeaway places making deliveries - Not sure if these two companies will be paying anyone on zero hours contracts though.

It's such a shame for those people.  I spoke to our young hair dresser yesterday, and her shop has just been closed - She's worried sick bless her. I told her that there are loads of people in the same boat, and to speak to her accountant as there has to be ways of getting through this, including her rent etc.

Social source share

NHS advice

Stay at home' - Doctors and nurses appeal to UK

Doctors and nurses on the front line in the coronavirus crisis have made a direct appeal to the UK public.

"If you choose to stay at home, you will save lives," say healthcare professionals from the Belfast Trust respiratory team in a video that has been widely shared on social media.

It comes as the number of UK deaths reached 281, including a person aged 18 with an underlying health condition.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

One of our local places is taking take away orders, but you have to stay in your cars outside, and they bring you your meal.

Nina suggested we go to the peak district for a picnic at the weekend, we didn't bother in the end, and after watching the news of other people doing this type of thing - Thank god we didn't!

I like to think all those crowds of people going to various places was just a case of everyone having the same 'good' idea - Just unfortunate.  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

We will continue to support local independent traders who attempt to maintain a level of service within the constraints of government advice.  

Trying to do the same here - and I think this is a model that is going to become more commonly applied, even after all this is over. At least it should.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/coronavirus-has-exposed-a-desperate-need-for-localism

• Up vote 3
Social source share

A local cafe where my niece works shutdown as instructed,  all the food they had, bacon ,sausage etc,plus various cheeses and other perishables such as homemade cakes, and not just a few, rather than let the staff take it home or as one employee offered to box some up and give to the needy,free of charge, the inconsiderate idiots binned the lot. She also finds herself in the position of having to sign on because they won't opt for the government 80% wage offer.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Paddy Ferry said:

A local cafe where my niece works shutdown as instructed,  all the food they had, bacon ,sausage etc,plus various cheeses and other perishables such as homemade cakes, and not just a few, rather than let the staff take it home or as one employee offered to box some up and give to the needy,free of charge, the inconsiderate idiots binned the lot. She also finds herself in the position of having to sign on because they won't opt for the government 80% wage offer.

Travesty. They won't opt for the government 80% wage offer. That tells you something about the business and how it is run.

One thing no government can protect us against is other people. It is people who make decisions, act, help, support ignore etc. etc.

Despite governmental best intentions, there will always be those who will not use the support. Many small businesses are not the angels we might think they are. They hide money, treat staff like s*** and don't care. Corporations are the same to some extent, but they have too much at stake and layers of management who will tow the line and support employees much better.

There are some great people out there helping staff but there are many who don't.

And lastly in these times, the illegal immigrants on cash only wages have no chance of support and will are likely to be futrher exploited.

These are testing times.....

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Paddy Ferry said:

That's insane, although there is, as yet, no practical detail of how exactly to claim - I have three people to pay in 8 days time and still don't know how that is going to work? But giving them the benefit of the doubt perhaps they have already run out of money? Some businesses are very hand to mouth, maybe a supplier was demanding their money from them? If the owners are self employed there is still nothing on offer from the Government so maybe the choice was shut up shop and retain what little money they still have to feed themselves or keep going and literally starve. No way of knowing. The Gov't currently seems to assume that all 5,000,000 self employed people don't need their help.

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Jim G said:

Travesty. They won't opt for the government 80% wage offer. That tells you something about the business and how it is run.

One thing no government can protect us against is other people. It is people who make decisions, act, help, support ignore etc. etc.

Despite governmental best intentions, there will always be those who will not use the support. Many small businesses are not the angels we might think they are. They hide money, treat staff like s*** and don't care. Corporations are the same to some extent, but they have too much at stake and layers of management who will tow the line and support employees much better.

There are some great people out there helping staff but there are many who don't.

And lastly in these times, the illegal immigrants on cash only wages have no chance of support and will are likely to be futrher exploited.

These are testing times.....

They both have other jobs, took this on a few months ago with no prior experience in this type of work, debts everywhere , have been struggling to pay wages , rent etc, this crisis is the perfect get out for them , blame it all on corvid-19.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Latest

The prime minister is announcing strict new curbs on life in the UK to tackle the spread of coronavirus.

From this evening people must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.

Shops selling non-essential goods will also be shut and gatherings in public of more than two people who do not live together prohibited.

The UK death toll has reached 335.

If people do not follow the rules police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings, Boris Johnson said in a televised statement from Downing Street.

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

Latest

The prime minister is announcing strict new curbs on life in the UK to tackle the spread of coronavirus.

From this evening people must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.

Shops selling non-essential goods will also be shut and gatherings in public of more than two people who do not live together prohibited.

The UK death toll has reached 335.

If people do not follow the rules police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings, Boris Johnson said in a televised statement from Downing Street.

What’s a bit confusing is the “essential “now I have a scaffold up on a house with a leaking roof , to me it’s essential and my sons can do the work in less than a day , we have another one re-slated and just the ridges to bed on , pretty essential to keep it watertight, it seems a bit vague to me . I don’t want anyone to think I don’t care , quite the opposite and if there was going to be a 6 month drought I wouldn’t go anywhere near .Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Len said:

I'm afraid those were my thoughts exactly - I 'make metal things', that's not 'essential', but if carry on 'making metal things', my staff can pay their mortgage and feed their new born baby.  A bit dramatic maybe, but I do have a member of staff with a new baby, and I feel somewhat responsible.

I've just told our young lad (who lives at home with his parents) that I will probably send him home until further notice after tomorrow, but will pay him as long as I possibly can - My thinking is with him gone, it leaves just two of us which is within the government's advise of no more than two people gatherings. 

To me, the thing to focus on here is to minimize the risk of exposure as much as you possibly can.

P.s - Steve (WoodButcher) This is a serious business, but 'shiny-arse using a laptop' has just put me right off! :D

Yep same here, I'm a Building Surveyor so probably not essential but if I don't go out and do the survey that's booked for tomorrow I won't get paid for it and won't be able to pay one of my staff for a week less. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

All you builder guys:-

From the BBC:-

Builders in the UK can carry on working

After some confusion, the UK's housing minister posted this update. In short, builders can work if necessary - but must practise social distancing.

Social embed from twitter

Robert Jenrick✔@RobertJenrick

Advice for the housing, construction & building maintenance industries:
If you can work from home, do so.
If you are working on site, you can continue to do so. But follow Public Health England guidance on social distancing.
Outside of work, remember to #StayHomeSaveLives

Safe safe out there people. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Joey said:

All you builder guys:-

From the BBC:-

Builders in the UK can carry on working

After some confusion, the UK's housing minister posted this update. In short, builders can work if necessary - but must practise social distancing.

Social embed from twitter

Robert Jenrick✔@RobertJenrick

Advice for the housing, construction & building maintenance industries:
If you can work from home, do so.
If you are working on site, you can continue to do so. But follow Public Health England guidance on social distancing.
Outside of work, remember to #StayHomeSaveLives

Safe safe out there people. 

I'm a one man outfit , part of a two man 'team' of S/E  chippies working on mainly domestic projects , will be easy for some to carry on after seeing that statement giving them all the excuse they need to flout the advice , personally I can see the bigger picture and shall be staying at home.

I have no doubt that those big sites will continue to ignore the advice until the powers that be take a stronger stance with them , this Jenrick tool has obviously never seen a big infrastructure site up close or the swarm of hi-vis congregating to and from work and at breaktimes ... they need shutting immediately in my opinion .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Colnago said:

You wouldn’t get me on a site , nigh on impossible to social distance and the site cabins should be locked and the lads should sit in their vans at tea breaks , personally I think sites should be shut as hard as it sounds. 

I agree and all the news programmes are currently showing builders and construction workers this morning live on TV working in close proximity

Dahhhhhh!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share