Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Ocado puts me in a queue and when my turn comes up asks me to log in again then puts me back in the queue.  Superdrug accepted my order on the condition that it was 'click and collect', Superfood Market doesn't recognise me as an existing customer, and Sainsbury's can't find my account and will currently only correspond with customers by 'phone (Which of course puts you in a queue).

Sometime last century I had an account with Waitrose.  I guess it's worth a try...

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I agree and all the news programmes are currently showing builders and construction workers this morning live on TV working in close proximity

Dahhhhhh!!!

Latest guidance from the Construction Industry Council, sounds like they are shutting down but you can't just walk away from a half built building.

"The construction industry will come to work tomorrow, to prepare to shut down works safely, whilst awaiting further information. This means as a minimum, to do whatever is necessary to leave works in a state that can be safely left for some while, and to secure plant, equipment and materials.  This should include the maintaining of site security, the stability of partially constructed structures than could become unstable and potentially dangerous, and the maintenance of systems that would be unsafe to stop (dewatering systems that, if failed, could lead to catastrophic disaster, but there will be other examples)."

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

Latest guidance from the Construction Industry Council, sounds like they are shutting down but you can't just walk away from a half built building.

"The construction industry will come to work tomorrow, to prepare to shut down works safely, whilst awaiting further information. This means as a minimum, to do whatever is necessary to leave works in a state that can be safely left for some while, and to secure plant, equipment and materials.  This should include the maintaining of site security, the stability of partially constructed structures than could become unstable and potentially dangerous, and the maintenance of systems that would be unsafe to stop (dewatering systems that, if failed, could lead to catastrophic disaster, but there will be other examples)."

Of course they have to ensure the safety etc of the half built projects etc , I’m more thinking that a lot of the companies wouldn’t be there to scale the work down and would carry on until told otherwise and possibly take the construction to further stage where it could be even harder to make safe . I jacked site work in yonks since as there’s no loyalty by the companies for the men hence one of the reasons why there is a severe shortage of tradesmen but that’s another issue. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Len said:

A lot of my customers are now shutting today. Last night I was just going to send our young lad home until further notice, but have now decided to send my skilled man home too.

It would be good if I was allowed to come to work on my own to do as much as I can to earn a bit towards this testing time, but if we are told not to I will respect that.

Best of luck to all.

Len :thumbsup:

Wait till Friday mate, you should be able to get the 80% of wages then

• Up vote 2
Social source share

site note - recent topic on wages etc have been moved into the members talk topic here

this is as per recent tweaks to the cv topics made to try and reflect current times better

Message - There are now 3 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members - members life/work, jobs, isolation etc etc in freebasing

Offtopic Corona Talk - more light humoured and casual discussion in freebasing

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Please use this topic from now on for mainly serious discussion on the main official UK Govt news/advice points and the other two topics for more specific points/topics

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Some better news in the times, a scientist from imperial college who advises the government has said the death toll could be substantially less than the 20000 first quoted and he thinks the nhs will be able to cope.

is this the article? - I can't get on the times as it has a paywall 

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196477/j-ideas-neil-ferguson-tells-mps-lockdown/

Social source share

Well, I sincerely hope he is right. But as my daughter and brother both work in an NHS hospital and neither has been tested yet, and there is still no definite sign in short term of that happening, and with staff numbers massively down thanks to self-isolation,  I am afraid I have to remain a bit sceptical.

Social source share

Fantastic response from all my neighbours!  Same goes in Canterbury where my son (ambulance crew) and his wife (hospital cleaner) live.  Unfortunately, where my daughter (midwife) and her husband (NHS technician) live, just a mile away from us, they heard nothing. 

Wish I could see them all, and the grandkids too.

- Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The same in our street - A kind of serious, loud, very appreciative round of applause (If that makes sense) 

My sister (Mary) told me that on her estate, although she couldn't actually see any of her neighbors because of the way her house is situated on a corner, after their applause she felt impelled to shout "Hip hip!", then "Hooray!" echoed back all around her (x 3) Also very moving.

Another day to get through guys - Keep those spirits up for each other.

Len :wink:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

BBC News Summary

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus after displaying "mild" symptoms

The UK's Health Secretary Matt Hancock has also contracted the virus and is in self-isolation

In Spain, the death toll has risen sharply in the last 24 hours. There were 769 new fatalities, up from 655 the previous day, taking the total toll to 4,858

Firefighters in the UK are to take on extra duties during the pandemic, including driving ambulances and delivering food and medicines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52058788

Social source share

We're all witnesing this which is brilliant - Social distancing was bound to take a little while to sink in with people.  At work (alone) what deliveries do arrive are left outside, and the drivers don't requier a signature anymore.  And it's good to see people queueing outside the supermarkets 2 meters away from each other.

It doesn't feel natural of course, but people now fully understand and smile when passing each other at the requiered distance.

I just hope the Mexican president takes it seriously soon https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/coronavirus-advice-from-mexicos-president-live-life-as-usual 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Len said:

We're all witnesing this which is brilliant - Social distancing was bound to take a little while to sink in with people.  At work (alone) what deliveries do arrive are left outside, and the drivers don't requier a signature anymore.  And it's good to see people queueing outside the supermarkets 2 meters away from each other.

It doesn't feel natural of course, but people now fully understand and smile when passing each other at the requiered distance.

I just hope the Mexican president takes it seriously soon https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/coronavirus-advice-from-mexicos-president-live-life-as-usual 

I agree with your enthusiasm, however, when we (my wife and I) went to The Post Office and Asda yesterday, we spotted a few things.

At our local Post Office (I sat in car while my wife went in to post our record sales) a car drew up behind us (1994 BMW in spanking condition). Out got a gentleman who looked as old if not older than my father (84) and went in to the shop part of the Post Office to buy something ?

At Asda another gentleman ( looked in his 70''s ) was sat in his 1998 Nissan Micra ( battery flat ) waiting for the RAC (I didn't have any jump leads)

The queuing system at Asda was good but members of staff were hugging each other on the way out when finishing shifts

It's not perfect yet

• Up vote 2
Social source share

My house faces directly over the canal and I have never seen so many walkers, horse riders, cyclists, families, couples, joggers on the path since the lockdown was announced.

Yes, exercise by all means but there is no way you can't keep to the two metre rule on the towpath. I despair! 

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Jumpinjoan said:

My house faces directly over the canal and I have never seen so many walkers, horse riders, cyclists, families, couples, joggers on the path since the lockdown was announced.

Yes, exercise by all means but there is no way you can't keep to the two metre rule on the towpath. I despair! 

Totally agree with you on that one Joan. But then you have the other extreme. The canal and river trust has advised people not to walk past moored boats.  WTF . How can you do that unless you don't actually walk on the tow path.  Trust all is well and safe.  X

• Up vote 1
Social source share

We go out to exercise and walk the dog. People from the same household do not have to maintain the 2m distance. Everyone here we meet is observing the rules except the dog who is struggling with social distancing 😉

Edited by Soulfusion
Social source share

BBC News 16:09
If you are just joining us...
A very warm welcome if you are just joining us, particularly if you are reading this and are unwell or in self-isolation.

Here are the latest developments from the UK and around the world.

The UK says that the number of patients who have died has risen by 563 since Tuesday to 2,352. The government said 29,474 people had tested positive for the virus, up 4,324 since Tuesday

Spain has seen a new record daily death toll of 864, taking the total there to 9,053. The number of confirmed cases has passed 100,000 - more than any other country except the US and Italy

In Iran, the death toll has passed 3,000 with 138 new deaths in the past 24 hours. Tehran has repeated its criticism of the US for continuing to impose sanctions

The UK's heir to the throne, Prince Charles, has spoken of the "distressing" effect of isolation following his recovery from coronavirus

The British government says it is ramping up its efforts to test more NHS workers in a bid to get healthy staff who are self-isolating back to work

The Wimbledon tennis tournament has been cancelled for the first time since World War Two because of the pandemic, the All England Club confirms

Edinburgh's famous Fringe festival and four other major cultural events in the city have been cancelled because of the pandemic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52115535

Social source share

HI folks.

Is there a reason why nobody is wearing masks when outside? I know that they are not 100% effective, but they are better than nothing. Nurses wear them.

Over here, you can't go to a public place without wearing a mask.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Drewtg said:

HI folks.

Is there a reason why nobody is wearing masks when outside? I know that they are not 100% effective, but they are better than nothing. Nurses wear them.

Over here, you can't go to a public place without wearing a mask.

They have said that you only really need a mask if you have the virus or working in the firing line, NHS etc.  Most are ineffective anyway as the virus is largely transmitted via surface contact.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share