Corona Virus - News & Info

Message added by Mike

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members & Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

5 hours ago, Drewtg said:

HI folks.

Is there a reason why nobody is wearing masks when outside? I know that they are not 100% effective, but they are better than nothing. Nurses wear them.

Over here, you can't go to a public place without wearing a mask.

Public Health England has advised people against wearing face masks as there is “very little evidence” that they are effective “outside of clinical settings” such as hospitals.

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Chalky said:

They have said that you only really need a mask if you have the virus or working in the firing line, NHS etc.  Most are ineffective anyway as the virus is largely transmitted via surface contact.  

And a mask without protection for your eyes is no use, eyes nose and mouth are entry points,  keep your hands off your face basically. 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

And a mask without protection for your eyes is no use, eyes nose and mouth are entry points,  keep your hands off your face basically. 

4 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Public Health England has advised people against wearing face masks as there is “very little evidence” that they are effective “outside of clinical settings” such as hospitals.

There does seem to be different conflicting advice and here is an interesting recent link

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/coronavirus-mask-messaging-intl-hnk/index.html

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There does seem to be different conflicting advice and here is an interesting recent link

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/coronavirus-mask-messaging-intl-hnk/index.html

It's constantly changing though! PHE still (As of 2 minutes ago) said "Face masks play a very important role in clinical settings, such as hospitals but there’s very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of these clinical settings. Facemasks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly and disposed of safely in order to be effective."

Good enough for me.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Best of luck and health to your sister and thousands of others in the NHS and the poorly paid care workers in the private sector.

This government should hang its head in shame at the ppe and testing response , everyone could see this virus escalating around the world so how the f**k we got caught out heaven knows.

They got seduced by economists who think they (a) understand how people behave, and (b) can model that behaviour with pinpoint accuracy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/absolutely-wrong-how-uk-coronavirus-test-strategy-unravelled

This is not a problem unique to public health, but it's very disturbing to see this kind of total confidence masquerading as expertise being used to trample over tried and tested methods that have served well for decades. Ministers and unelected dalek seduced by the promise of a quick fix.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I agree ref the touching of your own face.  I'd never thought about it before - I made a delivery the other day, I put the goods outside, pressed the door bell and got inside my van. The store-man moaned (as they usually do)......"What you couldn't be bothered to bring the bits inside?"......I told him that my Mrs had been in London a while back, so I didn't want to risk other people - That's when his attitude suddenly changed.

After he put the items inside, I noticed that he immediately touched his face.

Although lots of people are taking this seriously, some still aren't - I rang the painters, asked them to put my goods outside and shut the door, he said....."Bit extreme init Len?"........I said the same thing about my Mrs having been in London etc - Again, his attitude also suddenly changed once I'd said that.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

We, are naturally hard wired to touch our faces in all kinds of situations, mainly subconsciously and although we know it`s the main way this virus is transmitted we just can`t help it, especially those of us with facial hair. 🙊 Best to keep your hands occupied.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Drewtg said:

Masks also stop you touching your mouth and nose, and make you think before you do things. Even a bandana is better than nothing. Think about it.

A bandana is practically useless after a few minutes.  It will get damp with your breath and any contaminants in the air will get through. The same will happen with the paper masks. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Soulfulmerlin said:

What a measured reply well thought out 

Many thanks, apart from music and sport, life has taught me to try and take emotions out of my thought process, hasn't always happened but seems to work for me, probably comes back to respect your neighbour.  May have been helped by third listen to Bill Withers live at Carnegie Hall in the last 16 hrs.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Drewtg said:

My province of Sichuan has a population of 80,000,000. Face covering was/is compulsory in public places. We've had 600 cases and 3 deaths. A lot wore bandanas because masks ran a bit short.

My son lives in Taiwan & masks are compulsory there too. Incoming flights are restricted - none at all allowed from a long list of heavily-infected countries (UK being one of them) & all incoming passengers from permitted flights automatically have to go into 14 days quarantine. My son is working pretty much as normal, but by law has to record his temperature twice daily & he could also be stopped at random by officials to check his temperature. All students ( he lectures at uni)  have to use hand sanitizer several times a day. There are also extremely hefty fines for anyone breaking the quarantine laws - I read of an 18yr-old caught going out clubbing when he should have been in quarantine & he was fined a million Taiwan dollars.

Their per capita infection/death rates are negligible compared to ours here in the west & life goes on - not quite as normal - but at least because of the restrictions in place Taiwan has taken control of the virus, rather than allowing the virus to take hold of Taiwan.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

BBC News Summary

Summary

Worldwide cases have passed 1.1 million, and at least 60,000 people have died

Spain reports another 809 deaths, but there are signs its infection rate is slowing

A day of remembrance is held in China to honour those who died of Covid-19

UK reports 708 more deaths, with public urged to stay at home as weather turns warm this weekend

UK government scientific adviser says he hopes restrictions may be relaxed in a few weeks' time

US President Trump rejects his own experts' advice on wearing a face mask

The US has been accused of redirecting masks for its own use, in a move condemned as "piracy"

The IMF says the pandemic has stalled the global economy, causing a recession worse than 2008

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52163523

Social source share

tonight 20:00hrs...

Join us at 8pm to #ClapForCarers

While most of us #StayHome, our fantastic NHS and social care staff continue to travel to work to support us and save lives.

With thanks to @JCDecaux_UK and @TalonOOH, we are thanking them on screens across the country #ClapOurCarers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Cheers Steve . Hope all is well Linda and yourself .

Nothing like bit of good news .

Take care 

Dave 

Edited by Soulfulmerlin
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

It seems that care home deaths from covid are not being reported properly:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/covid-19-hundreds-of-uk-care-home-deaths-not-added-to-official-toll

They did the same thing here in France. Now they count them.

About counting can we believe that in China there were only 3300 deaths ?

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Philippe said:

They did the same thing here in France. Now they count them.

About counting can we believe that in China there were only 3300 deaths ?

Doctor Hillary (From the morning television) was asked this, and he said....."I wouldn't believe a word coming out of that country".....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Yep, that is good news. But I wonder if the figure of 18,000 ventilators needed, includes the number required to replace those recently removed from the ambulance fleet and redesignated for hospital use.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Len said:

Doctor Hillary (From the morning television) was asked this, and he said....."I wouldn't believe a word coming out of that country".....

Unlike the celebrity TV Doctor Hilary, I'm not privy to the data released to the WHO, but I can tell you two things. Firstly the Chinese immediately imposed a full lockdown, which the UK have still failed to do. I know people in my city who have had the virus and I know people who know other virus victims, none of whom died. Secondly, as the extent of the UK governments abysmal failure becomes even more apparent, there will be a lot more finger pointing by the media in order to distract from the real fraudsters - Doris and Co.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Drewtg said:

Unlike the celebrity TV Doctor Hilary, I'm not privy to the data released to the WHO, but I can tell you two things. Firstly the Chinese immediately imposed a full lockdown, which the UK have still failed to do. I know people in my city who have had the virus and I know people who know other virus victims, none of whom died. Secondly, as the extent of the UK governments abysmal failure becomes even more apparent, there will be a lot more finger pointing by the media in order to distract from the real fraudsters - Doris and Co.

Who knows which figures are correct from which countries - We are all people, and we all want the world to get through this.

Best of luck to you over there.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Drewtg said:

There`s always one pratt that has to go party-political.😡 

Disgraceful comments in my opinion!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Drewtg said:

The real fraudsters, you having a laugh without the actions of the Chinese government we wouldn't be in this position in the first place, maybe people in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, your a disgrace mate.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Len said:

We are all people, and we all want the world to get through this.

Best of luck to you over there.

Best of luck to everyone - Let's not go down this road.

Cheers,

• Up vote 3
Social source share

While I was in the garden I thought about those mass graves in New York.  It dawned on me that over the years we have watched some awful tragedies from across the world, but have become somewhat desensitized to these stories.

We are all now part of this terrible story, and those mass graves really bought it home to me - Does anyone know where they are exactly?

Social source share

Latest BBC News

Summary

Global death toll now over 100,000, says Johns Hopkins University

The UK death toll has increased by 980 to reach a total of 8,958, England's Health Secretary Matt Hancock says

PM Boris Johnson "able to do short walks" as part of his recovery

Ireland is extending its coronavirus restrictions until 5 May

Christians marking Good Friday are urged to stay at home

Housing Secretary for England Robert Jenrick defends his travel moves amid reports he flouted rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52239925

Social source share

It sure does Ed.

This evening a mate told me that a morgue is being constucted near a village where I used to live, because it is about half way between two hospitals.  

So many people are working their socks off for the cause - We have the easy bit of 'staying at home'.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

There`s always one pratt that has to go party-political.😡 

Disgraceful comments in my opinion!

So sorry about that, I got carried away. Could you give me a nudge when I'm allowed to start criticising the government? No hurry.

• Up vote 3
Social source share