Wessex Auctions Results 6 Mar

12 hours ago, Soulfusion said:

Had noticed this sale was happening before the announcements on here and since the Auction House is only 40 miles from home I thought I'd take the day off and try my luck. Nice to meet Butch, Tony Ellis and John Manship amongst others at the Sale. The top lots were outside my budget but did pick up a couple of Veep promos (Cindy Scott & Larry and The Larks) for £65 plus commission (20.4%) amongst other job lots.

Top selling items were:

Soul Thing/Miss Woman - Tommy Dent (Cobblestone promo) £2,900 + commission

Time Will Pass You By/Heartbreaker - Tobi Legend (Mala promo) £1,000 +comm.

Up And Over - Jay Traynor (ABC 1st pressing) £950 + comm.

You Bring Out The Love In Me Baby - Unknown (UK KPM demo acetate) £950 + comm.

I Travel Alone/Big Wheel - Lou Ragland (Amy promo) £900 + comm.

Trick Me Treat Me - Yellow Brick Road (aka Cobblestone) (Mercury 1st pressing) £750 + comm.

Please Keep Away From Me - Elbie Parker (Veep 1st pressing) £650 + comm.

The World I Knew - Paul Wagner (Cobblestone promo) £650 + comm.

You Got Me Where You Want Me/Tomorrow Without Love  - Larry Santos (Evolution 1st pressing) £650 + comm.

Too Darn Soulful/You Don't Love Me Anymore - Morris Chestnut (Amy promo) £550 + comm.

Time Marches On - Lainie Hill (New Voice promo) £500 + comm.

Is there an official list of the final sales? I certainly would be interested in reading a out the sales figures realised. I tried registering to bid online but could not get anywhere so was unable to bid. I would have liked to have attended the auction - anyone have information about who bought what?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Is there an official list of the final sales? I certainly would be interested in reading a out the sales figures realised. I tried registering to bid online but could not get anywhere so was unable to bid. I would have liked to have attended the auction - anyone have information about who bought what?

I did record the hammer price for about 95% plus of the Soul lots; JM bought significantly and Butch was happy having secured about a dozen of the acetates. Several of us were able to secure plenty of lots despite the heavy hitters whilst a couple of people in the room seemed surprised that "classic" items continue to attract large sums. 

In truth it was an enjoyable social day out. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Yes a very good social day out. Also went to view on the Thursday but only a small amount viewing. I think alot of people bidded on line. Always good to meet up with like minded souls. Also a top cafe up the road where a few of us had a good chat after and before the event. Much more socialble than bidding on line. Well done to those who had the bargains, however alot went for the going rate, if not more after auction charges. I would say not bad for collectors but hard for dealers to make on the classic titles. Some very interesting lots with the acetates , the Buddah Records, Tommy Dent, Yellow Brick Rd etc. Loved every moment.

Social source share

The on-line function worked really well apart from when we lost sound for about 15mins. I snapped up a few of the "interesting" and unreleased acetates along the way (Jessica James, Beverly Warren and one of the Fred Briggs) but the prices went high on anything that would impress a dancefloor. I've also bought some of this collection off ebay and they all arrived in fabulous condition. Shame that the sound files are now removed from the catalogue - I'll share some snippets here if anyone's interested

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was the one who organised the auction and was there for the whole day. It was an interesting day.

I met JM and will be in touch with him as there are more to come from the same library.....

Thanks for everyone attending and for the nice comments above.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, tom c said:

The on-line function worked really well apart from when we lost sound for about 15mins. I snapped up a few of the "interesting" and unreleased acetates along the way (Jessica James, Beverly Warren and one of the Fred Briggs) but the prices went high on anything that would impress a dancefloor. I've also bought some of this collection off ebay and they all arrived in fabulous condition. Shame that the sound files are now removed from the catalogue - I'll share some snippets here if anyone's interested

The sound snippets are still available through my Youtube channel named: modboy 1 https://youtu.be/qy08iDgtZIU 

Social source share

11 hours ago, Modboy1 said:

I was the one who organised the auction and was there for the whole day. It was an interesting day.

I met JM and will be in touch with him as there are more to come from the same library.....

Thanks for everyone attending and for the nice comments above.

Please keep us all informed when the next batch is released. Managed to snag one 45.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!