Zed1 profile photo

Members Corona virus related talk

Mike profile photo

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members  Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Message added by Mike

Posted (edited)

The BOE has cut interest rates, which seems a rather drastic move, especially on budget day. If the cut wasn't coordinated with the treasury, how can the budget be valid ?. We are living in very strange times. I reckon the government will kitchen sink this virus business, i.e. blame it for everything and milk it for as long as possible. It must be serious now, the Man. City/Arsenal match has been called off.

An MP has also supposedly tested positive for the virus, which does seem very convenient on budget day, not to mention talk of closing parliament. The first thing to go will be the Brexit deadline, there's bound to be an extension now. Boris is probably thinking all his Christmas's have come at once. 

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
49 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

The BOE has cut interest rates, which seems a rather drastic move, especially on budget day. If the cut wasn't coordinated with the treasury, how can the budget be valid ?. We are living in very strange times. I reckon the government will kitchen sink this virus business, i.e. blame it for everything and milk it for as long as possible. It must be serious now, the Man. City/Arsenal match has been called off.

An MP has also supposedly tested positive for the virus, which does seem very convenient on budget day, not to mention talk of closing parliament. The first thing to go will be the Brexit deadline, there's bound to be an extension now. Boris is probably thinking all his Christmas's have come at once. 

I'm  cynical about the MP with the virus coming just days after the proposal to close parliament and the MPs work from home .

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Trump has a handle on it all . 

soul A77C100F 6D8D 4D47 8285 CBE0DEE01A1B

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
12 minutes ago, Joey said:

Which has seriously pissed me off! I'm a City season ticket holder, although I live more than 200 miles to the north, (beyond the wall). In order to keep costs down, I have to book train tickets and hotel rooms well in advance. Needless to say, getting any sort of refund at such a late date is nigh on impossible. This season, so far, has been a nightmare. "Issues" with TransPennine and Northern, storms shutting half the country down, and now this Covid-19 thing. All in all, I've spent a great deal of my available (pension) money for no return. I'm having serious doubts as to whether a season ticket is worth the hassle and expense. Oh well, at least todays latest cancellation was in time for me not to set off. I'd have been incandescent if I'd been between Edinburgh and Preston when this news broke!

Joey. Can you not claim the train and hotel expenses back being as its out of your control,  maybe worth contacting the club. 

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

Dust masks are useless anyway.  They have to be proper surgical masks.

I know that mate but it's the principle behind it 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
13 minutes ago, Joey said:

Which has seriously pissed me off! I'm a City season ticket holder, although I live more than 200 miles to the north, (beyond the wall). In order to keep costs down, I have to book train tickets and hotel rooms well in advance. Needless to say, getting any sort of refund at such a late date is nigh on impossible. This season, so far, has been a nightmare. "Issues" with TransPennine and Northern, storms shutting half the country down, and now this Covid-19 thing. All in all, I've spent a great deal of my available (pension) money for no return. I'm having serious doubts as to whether a season ticket is worth the hassle and expense. Oh well, at least todays latest cancellation was in time for me not to set off. I'd have been incandescent if I'd been between Edinburgh and Preston when this news broke!

And therein lies the problem on a wider scale, most are more concerned with what ghey will lose rather than the health of themselves and others. There was one on radio yesterday, business trip to Italy booked and paid for, exhibition I think.  He was still going because he didn’t want to lose his money.  Its the same with the government who seem more concerned about the stock market etc than protecting the nation. 

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Joey. Can you not claim the train and hotel expenses back being as its out of your control,  maybe worth contacting the club. 

I know that mate but it's the principle behind it 

Train tickets are almost worthless. To get any refund, you must first be "fined" £20 per ticket for any changes etc. if its outwith the train company's scope. My tickets are always two singles (cheapest way of buying) so I'm deffo out forty quid before I even start. Hotels are cheapest if you pay up front. Therefore, you lose the entire amount if cancelling. Club have no legal obligation to refund 1/19th of my season ticket, as the game will be played at some point. HOWEVER, I'm told that I could get a major refund if the season is officially abandoned.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
18 minutes ago, Chalky said:

And therein lies the problem on a wider scale, most are more concerned with what ghey will lose rather than the health of themselves and others. There was one on radio yesterday, business trip to Italy booked and paid for, exhibition I think.  He was still going because he didn’t want to lose his money.  Its the same with the government who seem more concerned about the stock market etc than protecting the nation. 

I can afford the losses, but many people cannot. My main issue with the cancellation of this game is that it was announced at such a late date. Am I concerned about the effects of Covid-19 on the general population? Yes, but I'm not hysterical about it, as so many seem to be. It's a strain of the common cold, and whilst many elderly people with underlying medical conditions could be at risk if they're unfortunate enough to catch the thing, the overwhelming majority of "sufferers" will not even know they have it. As for the government caring more about the stock market than the population, thats a bit of a stupid remark really. Both are inextricably interlinked, as they always have been. One fails, so does the other. I don't know about you, but I'd quite like the stock market to recover very quickly indeed, even if only to guarantee the pensions of millions of people!

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joey said:

I can afford the losses, but many people cannot. My main issue with the cancellation of this game is that it was announced at such a late date. Am I concerned about the effects of Covid-19 on the general population? Yes, but I'm not hysterical about it, as so many seem to be. It's a strain of the common cold, and whilst many elderly people with underlying medical conditions could be at risk if they're unfortunate enough to catch the thing, the overwhelming majority of "sufferers" will not even know they have it. As for the government caring more about the stock market than the population, thats a bit of a stupid remark really. Both are inextricably interlinked, as they always have been. One fails, so does the other. I don't know about you, but I'd quite like the stock market to recover very quickly indeed, even if only to guarantee the pensions of millions of people!

Its not a common cold or flu, see many daft comments like this.  They no little about it given that it is a new virus, they don’t know if it will be seasonal like a flu or can live on in any weather.  Those with underlying issues are seriously at risk if they catch it and everything should be done to ensure they don’t.  If allowed to spread many of you OAPs might not have to worry about picking your pension up. 

as fir the markets if this is allowed to spread with little being done except washing yer hands, then your pensions will take an even bigger hit.  If this is allowed to spread then the economy is going to get hit bit time anyway. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Seems to me the Italian people have paid a very high price. no freedom of movement, no right to free assembly and as a consequence no right to protest. No longer a free country.
Trojan Horse Virus?

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Its not a common cold or flu, see many daft comments like this.  They no little about it given that it is a new virus, they don’t know if it will be seasonal like a flu or can live on in any weather.  Those with underlying issues are seriously at risk if they catch it and everything should be done to ensure they don’t.  If allowed to spread many of you OAPs might not have to worry about picking your pension up. 

as fir the markets if this is allowed to spread with little being done except washing yer hands, then your pensions will take an even bigger hit.  If this is allowed to spread then the economy is going to get hit bit time anyway. 

Its not a "daft" comment at all. Covid-19, much like SARS, bird flu, and swine flu before it, IS, depending on which "expert" you listen to, a STRAIN of the common cold/flu virus. A particularly virulent one, I grant you, and one that no human has, as yet, built up a tolerance to. As you say, little is yet known about it, which is why the sheer levels of panic and hysteria are doing no good at all. Common sense is, as usual, being ignored. The mainstream media after all do need something to fill in their news hours, don't they? It always amazes me just how quickly supposedly intelligent people can accept what they are fed via the idiot box sat in everyones living room. A healthy dose of scepticism can go a long way. Remember the old motto, "Question everything, believe nothing". 

And yes, as we have both said, the real danger is to elderly people with underlying health problems. But then again, this is the case every winter with 'Flu and common colds. An average of 600 people per year die from 'Flu in the UK, but on occasion, such as in 2008/2009, it can be as many as 13,000. We are, thankfully, nowhere bloody near such a number, and hopefully never will be with Covid-19. As an aside to this particular comment, hopefully, when and/or if a vaccine is produced for this latest virus, will our wonderful, angelic, and god-like NHS staff actually accept it? The latest figures for this winter show that in England and Wales 40% of NHS staff pointblank refused to have the 'Flu vaccination. This type of crass stupidity knows no bounds. 

As for "us" OAPS worrying? We won't. Most, (if not all of us), have been through some VERY hard times in our lives, and in general deal with events such as this with an aplomb and insouciance that "you younger people" couldn't imagine.

Finally, the stock market. Imagine, its just as well that Comrade Corbyn and his bunch of merry muppets didn't win the election, isn't it? Heaven knows where we'd have already been, economically speaking. 

I've had enough, and I'm bored. Over and out everyone!

P.S., and BTW, even surgical masks are nigh-on useless for your personal protection. Most viruses can be contracted through your eyes, so unless you're wearing goggles, you're wasting your time. The only thing a mask will do is to prevent your own spittle and snot being splattered over other people when you cough or sneeze.

Toodle Pip all! 🙂 

Edited by Joey
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 09/03/2020 at 15:23, Mike said:

post dropped

idea and the effort was to set up a place for not so serious virus related talk - not weak non related football banter

try and keep it at that

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just to bring it back on topic - check out this extract I was sent the other day .

soul 3D4ADD00 9D2C 4992 814B ADA80D51C8AF

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Stevegods said:

Just to bring it back on topic - check out this extract I was sent the other day .

Brings me to a conversation I had with an old Bomb Disposal colleague two days ago. We both spoke about the outside possibility of the Chinese having an "accident" at one of their bio weapon facilities. Far fetched? Possibly. Maybe even probably. But, you never do know.....do you? It will have happened before, so why not again?

Hope all's well in your world Steve. Stay well bud.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Am I missing something here.  There are two doctors in Scotland that have been diagnosed with the corona virus having just returned from a skiing holiday in Italy.  Are they that stupid Really, 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul 6650D3B9 64F8 41F5 942D 5B777FC2A50C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey said:

Brings me to a conversation I had with an old Bomb Disposal colleague two days ago. We both spoke about the outside possibility of the Chinese having an "accident" at one of their bio weapon facilities. Far fetched? Possibly. Maybe even probably. But, you never do know.....do you? It will have happened before, so why not again?

Hope all's well in your world Steve. Stay well bud.

All good Joey mate .. hope all is well with you and the misses .. 

Should this young one be on “ The Apprentice “ .. 

1-1 ...Come on you might Reds !!

Sorry Mike but I’m on edge here bud 

soul 8B1B97AA 6EBA 4A61 9B64 169C2CE589DD

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

All good Joey mate .. hope all is well with you and the misses .. 

Should this young one be on “ The Apprentice “ .. 

1-1 ...Come on you might Reds !!

Sorry Mike but I’m on edge here bud 

soul 8B1B97AA 6EBA 4A61 9B64 169C2CE589DD

A legend indeed. Would have fitted in well with a certain crew of people I used to know as a teenager! 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
21 minutes ago, sheldonsoul said:

soul 6650D3B9 64F8 41F5 942D 5B777FC2A50C

Because "coronavirus" is pretty much a catch-all for these types of viruses. I believe SARS was also a coronavirus? The correct term for this latest piece of nastiness is Covid-19. Or so I'm reliably informed! 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
30 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Am I missing something here.  There are two doctors in Scotland that have been diagnosed with the corona virus having just returned from a skiing holiday in Italy.  Are they that stupid Really, 

Just about all my close neighbours work for the NHS, mostly as doctors or very senior admin managers. Yes, they're all that stupid! Not an ounce of common sense amongst them all. Very well trained, very well spoken, but also very dense. 😂

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Apparently the World Health organisation are asking Athletico Madrid how they removed a virus from Europe 🤣

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Apparently the World Health organisation are asking Athletico Madrid how they removed a virus from Europe 🤣

Too funny! I chuckled so violently that I think a little bit of wee may have run down my leg. 🙂 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I do wonder about Ant and Dec's relationship with Donald Trump and whether there influence has gone further than we possibly imagined, as he seems to have been aware of their programme "Saturday Night Takeaway" and the competition to travel on a plane with Virgin Holidays to Disney. Is that why he has kept the UK out of the flight ban 

soul Ant and Dec

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Joey said:

A legend indeed. Would have fitted in well with a certain crew of people I used to know as a teenager! 

A true entrepreneur IMHO as opposed to some of the "things" kids used to try and sell at Soul Gigs, in the toilets, I preferred smarties

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Real Madrid players just been placed into quarantine. Looks like the 2nd leg next week is off then.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
23 minutes ago, Joey said:

Real Madrid players just been placed into quarantine. Looks like the 2nd leg next week is off then.

Football will probably be a casualty of this virus , I am surprised with Madrid having a high number of cases of coronavirus yesterdays game at Liverpool was not played behind closed doors. 

Maybe our government been canny or stupid regarding cancelling mass gatherings,  myself I would prefer large gatherings to be prohibited.

Liverpool will be bricking it title nearly won and the season may not be completed and declared void , how sad. 😉

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Well as I said Corona Virus hides in mucus .

Activated via acids in Stomach. Then transfers to lungs where it attacks and this is how it kills .

If every was need to ban Talc it's now . Anyone coughing sneezing etc . Fine particles can be picked up and breathed in . Just as can if within area of person doing so . 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-x-rays-and-ct-scans-reveal-about-how-covid-19-kills-11955988

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

3 more in Chorley.  Also first case reported in Clitheroe.  Scotland has spiked to 60 in 24 hrs Community transmission has now been proven . So . Answer clear as day to me . Stay home till it has a vaccine.  Most of us are 60 and susceptible to catching it .

I am as worried as everyone else (approaching 60 quickly). I would like people to look at some other statistics to still reassure them as other things can be mush worse (but obs not a direct comparison to this horrible virus)

https://www.atlas-mag.net/en/article/road-safety-in-2017

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul Screenshot_20200313 103013_BBC Sport

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 09/03/2020 at 15:23, Mike said:

post dropped

idea and the effort was to set up a place for not so serious virus related talk - not weak non related football banter

try and keep it at that

post removed

third time and final time am reposting the above

while this topic is set up for non-serious virus related talk 

the site take is that this topic or site is not the  place for weak football related banter as not everyone gets it or indeed appreciates it

thanks

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

JOB OPENING

Making people laugh & making people smile is the work of heros.  

Telling them that everything will be OK is the work of a super hero.

Think you've got what it takes.

No contract, No remuneration, No boss, immediate start😀

Edited by Imperial C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A couple of funnies to brighten the day.

Ed

soul IMG 20200314 WA0001

soul IMG 20200314 WA0000

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

What does one do as Waitrose has ran out of Avocados and Quinoa??? One is rather worried lol

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

We are all doomed again how long can this doom carry on its every week 

ML

Sorry couldn't help myself 🤣

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It is very important to believe in what the government advises, as they have always provided the correct information to protect the people

Can we all remember the advice as to how to protect ourselves in the event of a nuclear war

soul Nucalear

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The official UK data is miles out because they only report what they know about. If people self isolate and don't call 111 etc., then the government has no idea how bad the spread is.

I work with data everyday and more often than not it is the data you can't get  that is the most important, as Abraham Wald proved in the second world war and saved hundreds of lives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

take care friends, as old soulies, we are high risk now!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

And on a much lighter note see image below, is the white sand on the bottom  a new strain of Coronavirus 🙂1710622987_Screenshot2020-02-02at12_06_58.png.acec8a8f548f570d66b31a3680162c8b.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There is no shortage that is what makes this sp bewildering.  We deliver loo rolls from one manufacturer, warehouses full, constant supply of paper to make more.  We also deliver rice at times, again no shortage.  No need to panic buy anything.  With a fever I doubt you will eat too much anyway for a week.

I've never got why people are bulk buying loo rolls? ... apart from the fear that they may have to self-isolate ... If you're in your home and have no loo roll 'improvise' e.g. if your from Liverpool use The Sun ... disclaimer ... other tabloids ARE available.  Seriously though use a cloth and throw it out or wash it out or have a shower! ... or am I missing something?  I wonder how people ever coped in the 'olden days' before loo roll?

... how about a new commercial for Andrex: Lou Rawls - 'You'll never find another wipe like mine'

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

Bog roll story was probably a lazy journalist. Photograph empty shelves, report panic buying and thus panic buying is created, its that easy. Probably done during a stock changeover.

Agreed!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Why are people complaining there's no toilet roll, just stock up on the sun newspaper 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Jim G said:

And on a much lighter note see image below, is the white sand on the bottom  a new strain of Coronavirus 🙂1710622987_Screenshot2020-02-02at12_06_58.png.acec8a8f548f570d66b31a3680162c8b.png

Excellent picture Jim, worthy of a 2nd look, that is a nice bottle!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I've never got why people are bulk buying loo rolls? ... apart from the fear that they may have to self-isolate ... If you're in your home and have no loo roll 'improvise' e.g. if your from Liverpool use The Sun ... disclaimer ... other tabloids ARE available.  Seriously though use a cloth and throw it out or wash it out or have a shower! ... or am I missing something?  I wonder how people ever coped in the 'olden days' before loo roll?

... how about a new commercial for Andrex: Lou Rawls - 'You'll never find another wipe like mine'

This may be of assistance.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/06/cope-without-toilet-paper-case-coronavirus-related-shortage-12358036/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Why are people complaining there's no toilet roll, just stock up on the sun newspaper 

Just a thought ... but perhaps it's because they are sh*tting themselves over CV? 🤣

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul 20200315_205436

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Someone forwarded me 'one of those things' that stated 'The Mexican's are asking Donald Trump to hurry up and finish that wall!' :D

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Best information video by far....

• Up vote 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

The Netherlands in lock-down as of 6pm Sunday and will remain so until April 6th. If you were planning to visit Amsterdam in that time, don't bother - we're shut!

Lol. I saw the queues at the "coffee" shops.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
51 minutes ago, Drewtg said:

Lol. I saw the queues at the "coffee" shops.

More demand than for even toilet paper! 🤣

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 12/03/2020 at 01:56, Stevegods said:

These are two different books. The top one is not Dean Koontz, it's some weirdo psychic who made a gazillion predictions about the end of the world.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

strange times... yep and that may be  a understatement

anyone with practical tips/actions out there that feel may be worth sharing or talking about?

couple own things doing

sorting out some more at home fitness equipment - no more gym

sorting out my non-tech mum a google nest max for video chat with us all

just a couple, any to add.. ?

as they say, stay safe

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Corona Business Work Issues
    Freebasing by Len on Sat 28 Mar 2020
    • 16 / 113
    • Len on 28 Mar 2020
  2. Corona Virus - News & Info
    All About the SOUL by Speedlimit on Thu 05 Mar 2020
    • 287 / 22443
    • Mike on 28 Mar 2020
  3. corona virus cancellations - events etc
    Site Stuff by Mike on Fri 13 Mar 2020
    • 24 / 1771
    • Amsterdam Russ on 17 Mar 2020
  4. SWINTON PALAIS ALL-NIGHTER CORONA VIRUS DATE CHANGE
    All About the SOUL by Brent on Mon 09 Mar 2020
    • 2 / 318
    • Brent on 09 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.