Zed1 profile photo

Members Corona virus related talk

Mike profile photo

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members  Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Message added by Mike

Posted
59 minutes ago, Mike said:

strange times... yep and that may be  a understatement

anyone with practical tips/actions out there that feel may be worth sharing or talking about?

couple own things doing

sorting out some more at home fitness equipment - no more gym

sorting out my non-tech mum a google nest max for video chat with us all

just a couple, any to add.. ?

as they say, stay safe

Me and the wife have discussed this ad nauseam. We both also have elderly relatives still alive. As far as we're concerned, we have to try to make sure that this doesn't impact unduly on our day to day lives, whilst at the same time being sensible. So, we'll still go out, probably walking along the shore etc., but trying to stay away from crowds of people. OK, football, restaurants, cinemas etc. may well be off limits for a while, but that doesn't mean everyone has to become a hermit. Unless they wish to of course. Many of us on this forum have a limited time left in this world, and for me, I'd prefer to LIVE, not merely EXIST. If I/we do contract it, then we'll self isolate for a fortnight, then get straight back to normal. Or as normal as life may be by then. 

Above all, don't panic, don't listen to the doom mongers, and this will all blow over soon enough. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 08/03/2020 at 15:37, Soulstrutter said:

So YOU'RE the one who's been buying up all the hand gel then!!! 

Joking aside ... We are visiting Thailand at Easter so thought we'd better get some hand gel for journey to be on the safe side... none available (unless you want to pay ridiculous price) so looked for wipes instead. Last week on Amazon saw a pack of 6 anti-bacterial wipes for £18 the next day they were £79.99!!! 4.4 increase in price... and now they're sold out even at that price!  Move your shares out of tourism and travel and put them in hand gels/wipes & toilet rolls 😆  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dettol-Antibacterial-Surface-Cleaning-Wipes/dp/B01N16BG67/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=52505280719&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOjyBRC0ARIsAIpJyGOfYg8fhDW7YMybEfGtfU7U9koIiesc1IdESaFV7vv_26zy0d05wQIaArezEALw_wcB&hvadid=259070539591&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006506&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=21332760720

UPDATE: when I posted this link up earlier today there were none available but now (curiously) there are 2 left for £76.50 ... so better snap up that bargain!!  I get get the distinct feeling they are holding them back and drip feeding to create demand so they can charge what they like!!!

Do you think you'll still be able to go , You would still WANT to go ?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Loo roll shortage workaround.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike said:

strange times... yep and that may be  a understatement

anyone with practical tips/actions out there that feel may be worth sharing or talking about?

couple own things doing

sorting out some more at home fitness equipment - no more gym

sorting out my non-tech mum a google nest max for video chat with us all

just a couple, any to add.. ?

as they say, stay safe

I've been locked down for quite a while now. Here's a few tips, for what it's worth.

1. Make a list. Jobs need doing around the house without going to the shops to buy materials.

2. I've been doing a lot of baking and cooking, so stock up on flour, sugar and eggs. Try some new recipes.

3. There's a great thread on here about good films/TV shows. I've rewatched quite a few, along with a lot of documentaries about Soul music and other interests.

4. Read some books.

5. Contact some of the people that you have been meaning to - for ages!

6. Initially, stay away from social media. It's full of fuckin experts. Let them carry on without you.

7. Get outside everyday. Either walk the dog or do something in the garden.

If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know.

Be good.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, JimmyTee said:

Loo roll shortage workaround.

Nah, the discarded bit from the centre hole being tightly folded is used for cleaning under the fingernail of the 'ring finger'. With practice, in an emergency this technique can be applied to a Rizla.

- Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Gonna use the time to turn this :

soul Ventura

To this

soul Ventura (3)

😀

Edited by Chris L
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul 20200317_202131

• Up vote 11

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
25 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

soul 20200317_202131

Brilliant 😅😅😅🤪

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

made me smile

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Chris L said:

Gonna use the time to turn this :

soul Ventura

To this

soul Ventura (3)

😀

God, that takes me back 😁

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Not concerned about getting Coronavirus, not concerned about passing it on to others despite being in the vulnerable age group,

Edited by Imperial C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

fair play

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Touch and go ... but I got my deal done today 

soul 15B2AD30 52DE 44EB 83D0 02209E03F225

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just received this from the owners of the holiday cottage in Pembrokeshire that I have been going to  twice a year for the last 12 years.  Gutted but understand 

soul 20200319_085746

• Disagree 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I have just seen that our amazing Government is in discussion to release "free school meal" vouchers @£20 per week, for each child and my wife and I were really pleased to see it, as we have 2 young children (driving us mad already !!!)

They seem to be in discussion with our famous CO-OP to issue vouchers through schools, which is fantastic and should help.

We got all pleased and thought "great, we will get them to home deliver to avoid going to the store".

Oh dear, as we live in the north and close to the famous Tower, in an area known for it's wealth and great services, they seem to have forgotten something.

https://quickshop.coop.co.uk/?utm_source=Coop&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=HDPage&_ga=2.67093998.1302674875.1584629584-928573046.1584629584

We entered our postcode and "computer says.......NO" The CO-OP it seems do not deliver anywhere near us

Do we just send our 6 and 7 year old boys to the store with their vouchers ?, will they need identification, have to wear their school uniform and use a wheelbarrow to carry their food in ? !!!! (they are only little)

Perhaps they can scooter to the CO-OP

I thought would add the Link so others can add their postcodes and see, let us know if you live in a posh area and the wagon will deliver

soul Scooter

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Had enough of doom and gloom for a while, Im getting my BSA out the shed Sunday and going for a ride in the countryside   😀 I can behave like a hooligan for a few hours 😁

soul IMG_2344 (1)

Edited by Veedub
typo
  • Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

So while the rest of 'humanity' has been stocking every available nook and cranny with bog-rolls , yours truly has been quietly squirrelling away massive amounts of "Mogadon" , let's just see how many of those lucky parents will be banging on Steve's door for supplies after a couple of weeks of no school and seriously cranky brats to "quieten down" a tad ... :shades: 💰

Edited by WoodButcher
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have just seen that our amazing Government is in discussion to release "free school meal" vouchers @£20 per week, for each child and my wife and I were really pleased to see it, as we have 2 young children (driving us mad already !!!)

They seem to be in discussion with our famous CO-OP to issue vouchers through schools, which is fantastic and should help.

We got all pleased and thought "great, we will get them to home deliver to avoid going to the store".

Oh dear, as we live in the north and close to the famous Tower, in an area known for it's wealth and great services, they seem to have forgotten something.

https://quickshop.coop.co.uk/?utm_source=Coop&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=HDPage&_ga=2.67093998.1302674875.1584629584-928573046.1584629584

We entered our postcode and "computer says.......NO" The CO-OP it seems do not deliver anywhere near us

Do we just send our 6 and 7 year old boys to the store with their vouchers ?, will they need identification, have to wear their school uniform and use a wheelbarrow to carry their food in ? !!!! (they are only little)

Perhaps they can scooter to the CO-OP

I thought would add the Link so others can add their postcodes and see, let us know if you live in a posh area and the wagon will deliver

soul Scooter

Sorry this service is not available in your area. Was the answer I received  That's despite a co-op store being no more than 300 metres from the house 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

So while the rest of 'humanity' has been stocking every available nook and cranny with bog-rolls , yours truly has been quietly squirrelling away massive amounts of "Mogadon" , let's just see how many of those lucky parents will be banging on Steve's door for supplies after a couple of weeks of no school and seriously cranky brats to "quieten down" a tad ... :shades: 💰

Ooh, Moggies. Not "played" with those for many a year. Got any of their pals, Mandy's? 😂

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

another fair play

Martin Lewis

I've put £1million in a fund to provide grants of £5k - £20k to small UK charities who are doing/want to do immediate Coronavirus poverty relief. Please share to let any charities who may want to apply know.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 05/03/2020 at 10:21, Zed1 said:

..... but would a cull of old age punters be such a bad thing? 🤔😅

It would be if you just happen to be one (as I am), and you had wanted to hang around for another 10-15 years!  😜

Edited by Robbk

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 16/03/2020 at 17:40, Pablorally said:

Best information video by far....

This is absolute nonsense. He talks about stopping the cross infection as though it's a racing car. In reality it's like stopping a supertanker. If you lock down tomorrow, the effects won't be noticed by the health service for weeks. During this time the exponential of cases will continue. Go ask Italy. This guy is just a former Brexit MEP, he has no qualifications whatsoever to comment on epidemiology.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Saw this on another forum 😁

90194670_10222140188803294_6051786564206329856_o.jpg.c8fcb2cf4a2b9fb735434b226cafaa43.jpg

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This is from a tube station round the corner from where I live .. 

Tragic but I guess what happens when it’s almost like rationing during the war .. 

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul 20200320_174332

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Keep well people , it's gonna be a bumpy ride .

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Keep well people , it's gonna be a bumpy ride .

That's so true mate.  I'm now off work for three months with having Asthma. I had to go the doctors to get proof for work though,  because the company where I work have two paranoid owner's. I'm lucky enough to be able too afford it,  but plenty can't.  

Just seen the government announcement regarding paying  80 % of wages which if right is a bonus 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It's my 65th tomorrow, and the government shut the pubs, paranoid moi ?.

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I work in a hospital just shaved off my beard (had it for yonks)so I can be fit tested for a mask . There are four of us in my team covering the site 24/7 I am an engineer and cover anything and everything all over the hospital . One of my workmates is in Metro Mannila in lockdown and another one has been told by his doctor to stay away for 12 weeks for underlying health reasons gonna be fun for me .

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I work in a hospital just shaved off my beard (had it for yonks)so I can be fit tested for a mask . There are four of us in my team covering the site 24/7 I am an engineer and cover anything and everything all over the hospital . One of my workmates is in Metro Mannila in lockdown and another one has been told by his doctor to stay away for 12 weeks for underlying health reasons gonna be fun for me .

GOOD LUCK 👍

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
11 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Good luck mate. Us engineers got to stick together 

• Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just been my local morrisons,  lots of people but.... good humour,  manners, people getting what they need not anything on the shelves,  we can get through this TOGETHER . Keep safe fellow soulies and when this passes which it will imagine your first soul night out. 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Donny twn centre business as usual.

All ages out and about.

We have one known case so far. No deaths.

A false sense of security or simply a big middle finger to government advice?

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

another fair play

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Mark S said:

A massive thanks to you & your colleagues Mark - well done - stay safe & good luck to you all xxxx💓

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Donny twn centre business as usual.

All ages out and about.

We have one known case so far. No deaths.

A false sense of security or simply a big middle finger to government advice?

Ed

It's OK to go out but stay away from people, don't drop in to see friends and stand and chat on the streets with neighbours. If someone's walking on the other side of street you won't catch anything but if there are 10 of you huddling in a group there's a serious risk.

Edited by Chris L
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised nobody is selling fully body protection suits with built in face masks so we can all carry on as normal.

No touchy touchy skin to skin and all air filtered.

The fashion world would be in boom time.

All the sci fi films had such apparel 30 years ago!

Maybe a baggy trouser version for soul do's?

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This one goes out to all you Simon Pegg and Nick Frost fans :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

all staff on full pay

another fair play

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Sometimes gentle persuassion bares fruit.

Ed

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I just sold a "not in brilliant condition" copy of this LP to a buyer in Japan

Thought I would show the messages

Buyer:

"Hi, 
Just paid. 
Thanks"

Me:

"Thanks
Will send tracking number when shipped
With Virus, there could be delays"

Buyer:

"no,no 
please send without virus... 
thanks"

Buyer 5 minutes later:

"sorry I was short of understanding English. 
delays, no problem.i don't hurry"

soul Rid

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
13 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I just sold a "not in brilliant condition" copy of this LP to a buyer in Japan

Thought I would show the messages

Buyer:

"Hi, 
Just paid. 
Thanks"

Me:

"Thanks
Will send tracking number when shipped
With Virus, there could be delays"

Buyer:

"no,no 
please send without virus... 
thanks"

Buyer 5 minutes later:

"sorry I was short of understanding English. 
delays, no problem.i don't hurry"

soul Rid

Thanks for putting a smile on my face! 😄

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

At least you can still shop and buy sports wear..

Sports direct staying open.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

At least you can still shop and buy sports wear..

Sports direct staying open.

Ed

Not any more we will still need our old trainers 😃

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 17/03/2020 at 20:23, Winsford Soul said:

soul 20200317_202131

I just used the Mitch Hedberg diagnosis system.  I asked a friend if he knew anyone who was sick.  He said "No".

I went YES!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Its breaking hearts now.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Why would anyone put a kid through that let alone film it?!

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Len said:

Why would anyone put a kid through that let alone film it?!

Why would anyone allow their child to get to the stage, where removal of their favourite junk food, causes the screaming ab dabs.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Kegsy said:

Why would anyone allow their child to get to the stage, where removal of their favourite junk food, causes the screaming ab dabs.

And be proud of it to boot it seems...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Corona Virus - News & Info
    All About the SOUL by Speedlimit on Thu 05 Mar 2020
    • 307 / 23628
    • Len on 02 Apr 2020
  2. Corona Business Work Issues
    Freebasing by Len on Sat 28 Mar 2020
    • 29 / 552
    • Len on 29 Mar 2020
  3. corona virus cancellations - events etc
    Site Stuff by Mike on Fri 13 Mar 2020
    • 24 / 1802
    • Amsterdam Russ on 17 Mar 2020
  4. SWINTON PALAIS ALL-NIGHTER CORONA VIRUS DATE CHANGE
    All About the SOUL by Brent on Mon 09 Mar 2020
    • 2 / 329
    • Brent on 09 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.