Zed1 profile photo

Members Corona virus related talk

Mike profile photo

Message - There are now 2 topics  set up for Corona discussion. Please use the best suited topic...

Corona Virus News & Info -  a serious topic for discussion and info regarding official UK Govt news/advice discussion

Corona Virus Members  Talk- members life/work, jobs, isolation, plus light humoured and casual discussion

UK Govt Advice - Know the facts - To make sure you get the best information on the virus. Visit the NHS
  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Message added by Mike

Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

If a doctor thinks it's pointless keeping somebody alive on a ventilator (or other keep me alive device) because they will never recover without it...we all get that.

It's just a tragedy if the decision is not based on that fact.

If the Queen could only survive with a ventilator...I cant imagine that being removed easily.

As pointed out in the first thread...

BMA guidelines...all lives are important and equal.

Ed

Totally agree. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Two things. Make sure that you have a proper face fit test. Try smearing the bridge of your nose  with some Vaseline . Most people now wear air stream type masks that as the name suggests blows a stream of filtered air downward across your face and away under your chin. 

Stay safe. the country is 100 % behind you guys. Take a bow and thank you 

Thanks Winsford Soul good to know and thanks for your comments-I’ll grab some today. I’m in ICU   so I have to be airtight I’ll look at those masks are they disposable? If so I cant use-this on has a filter that I have to replace every time I go in and out -the mother filter is replaced every month so I guess if there’s nothing similar then I’ll have to stick with this. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

Apparently thousands of new ventilators being produced and made available from early next week,  my main concern is  not the ventilators but the qualified staff to use them if we get overwhelmed. 

Was given one d at crash course (am an operating department practitioner) so I have working knowledge of vents, a bit of ahead start to some staff drafted in. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
37 minutes ago, BunderThollox said:

Thanks Winsford Soul good to know and thanks for your comments-I’ll grab some today. I’m in ICU   so I have to be airtight I’ll look at those masks are they disposable? If so I cant use-this on has a filter that I have to replace every time I go in and out -the mother filter is replaced every month so I guess if there’s nothing similar then I’ll have to stick with this. 

The air stream type masks are not disposable but are fully strip down and sterilisation compatible  obviously there are different levels of cleanliness required for different environments. Helmets and hoods,  many different styles are available . 

Steve 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Would those air fed masks that welders use be any good? There must be stocks of them available from welding supplies places.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Len said:

Would those air fed masks that welders use be any good? There must be stocks of them available from welding supplies places.

Very similar sort of thing Len. 👍😁

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Anybody any idea how much a top of the range ventilator costs?

It's about time we made the NHS great again and build factories for as much as possible to make it self sufficient. Being held to ransome for drugs and equipment is no way to operate.

Ed

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I just endured a shopping trip to Sainsbury's (I also got the kids more crisps) It was relatively quiet, and people seemed to be trying really hard to keep their distance from each other. Even waiting patiently until someone moved away from a particular shelf. Nice......Until suddenly this bloke bumped right in to me as I was looking for some ham!........."Sorry mate I was miles away"........"No worries at all my freind - there's only a deadly virus about".......This would have been funny if it were not true! (Although the near by shop assistant cracked up regardless) It really annoyed me.

It's getting a bit 'twitchy' out there - I hope we can keep our cool.

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
21 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Here is an interesting perspective for all of you who are working around the clock to save lives.

God forbid this guy represents any group with influence or power.

Ed

soul Screenshot_20200401 223824_Sky News

Rats have a habit of turning up where they’re least wanted eh. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Air fed is it a cylinder ? might not be allowed in intensive care-I’ll have a look though see what I can find-thanks lads. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BunderThollox said:

Air fed is it a cylinder ? might not be allowed in intensive care-I’ll have a look though see what I can find-thanks lads. 

Some have a little fan and motor set up attached to the hood / visors on a small back- pack or clipped to a belt that are battery operated 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, BunderThollox said:

Was given one d at crash course (am an operating department practitioner) so I have working knowledge of vents, a bit of ahead start to some staff drafted in. 

Apart from if you are 'scrubbed up' do people wear masks in operating theatres today? I seem to remember they stopped in the late 80's

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ok..answered my own question. The price of a life.

Ed

soul Screenshot_20200402 235104_Chrome

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Simon T said:

Apart from if you are 'scrubbed up' do people wear masks in operating theatres today? I seem to remember they stopped in the late 80's

No of course not, we still wear them despite the fact they’re only good for two breaths-mainly in Ortho Neuro CaRdiac they’ll stop a sneeze to some extent-it’s a bit messy when it happens-day surgery don’t normally wear them private hospitals even less so. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ah so-ONLY if your scrubbed.But anaesthetist and ODP and circulators don’t wear them half the time. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Some have a little fan and motor set up attached to the hood / visors on a small back- pack or clipped to a belt that are battery operated 

Steve 

Yes I tried one out in York-that’s the only place I had one (2 in total) £1000 a pop so trusts will male us put up with cheaper options I’m afraid 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2020 at 11:26, BunderThollox said:

Ah so-ONLY if your scrubbed.But anaesthetist and ODP and circulators don’t wear them half the time. 

thank you for your reply. I take it that cheatles are no longer in vogue too ?

Edited by Simon T
spelling
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

A big thank you to everyone involved in the opening today of the emergency hospital in London, a great effort by everyone , in times of trouble it is great to see what can be done .👏

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 12/03/2020 at 13:22, Soulfulmerlin said:

Well as I said Corona Virus hides in mucus .

Activated via acids in Stomach. Then transfers to lungs where it attacks and this is how it kills .

If every was need to ban Talc it's now . Anyone coughing sneezing etc . Fine particles can be picked up and breathed in . Just as can if within area of person doing so . 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-x-rays-and-ct-scans-reveal-about-how-covid-19-kills-11955988

Not trying to be funny here mate,is that stomache acid or gas.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
53 minutes ago, Blueten said:

No its after affect of Virus once it attaches inside lungs . Was also article published which stated how it gets into blood stream . Which is why current need for extreme hygiene.  If you listen to broadcasts on National Radio . Cough or blow it out BIN IT . if you touch work surface etc . Rub your nose . Sniff sneeze swallow . Where does it go ! Horrible virus . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Sky just had an article about what the police are doing to protect shops etc., from break ins, during the lock down when nobody is about.

They were in Northampton and featured a charity shop that had been broken into. Bloody hell, the Northampton town centre must be pretty grim if people are breaking into charity shops.

It tickled me anyway.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Sky just had an article about what the police are doing to protect shops etc., from break ins, during the lock down when nobody is about.

They were in Northampton and featured a charity shop that had been broken into. Bloody hell, the Northampton town centre must be pretty grim if people are breaking into charity shops.

It tickled me anyway.

A lot of good stuff in them charity shops if you know what your looking for kegsy.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

How long before the no win no fee scum start suing the NHS?

We know it's coming.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

How long before the no win no fee scum start suing the NHS?

We know it's coming.

Ed

Ed . Ironically I had this sent me yesterday 

Steve 

soul 20200404_111737

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

We were in the garden earlier, and my sister and her husband decided to pop round on their way home from shopping for both of their mums.  They sat on the back of their truck, so they did keep their distance.

Even so, I was a tad angry about them paying a visit although I know they meant well.  I'd just heard on the news that a 5 year old had died (And I have kids) We need to keep the standards up, if we don't people will soon slide in to closer contact with each other.

Was I being unreasonable feeling a bit angry? (It may be the constant stress we're all feeling)

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, Kegsy said:

It tickled me anyway.

Maybe they're looking for old 45s?  That's where I found some of my rarest 45s.  🤣

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Maybe they're looking for old 45s?  That's where I found some of my rarest 45s.  🤣

Might have been "The Dark" LP, whats that now..... about £12k ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

From memory back in Football days . Was quite posh . Big place like . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 03/04/2020 at 12:01, Simon T said:

thank you for your reply. I take it that chetles are no longer in vogue too ?

What are Chetles?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 03/04/2020 at 19:56, Blueten said:

Basically it’s both faeces hold the virus as well m8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Basically think you May be right 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Scotland’s chief medical officer Catherine Calderwood apologises for ignoring own advice after visit to second home - A silly thing of her to do (She has admitted that, and apologised) 

There may well have been one heck of an argument in their house......"I blo*dy told you we shouldn't have risked it!".......etc. 

If she is good at her job, I think she should now be left to concentrate on it (Maybe being given a fine) rather than all the calls for her resignation - I can't image what some social media comments say about her.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
14 minutes ago, Len said:

Scotland’s chief medical officer Catherine Calderwood apologises for ignoring own advice after visit to second home - A silly thing of her to do (She has admitted that, and apologised) 

There may well have been one heck of an argument in their house......"I blo*dy told you we shouldn't have risked it!".......etc. 

If she is good at her job, I think she should now be left to concentrate on it (Maybe being given a fine) rather than all the calls for her resignation - I can't image what some social media comments say about her.

I'd sack her, how can a so called expert broadcast to the nation , saying what should be done and then do the opposite?  Bad news about Boris too.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Paddy Ferry said:

I'd sack her, how can a so called expert broadcast to the nation , saying what should be done and then do the opposite?  Bad news about Boris too.

Why hasn't anything been said about the queen going to her holiday home. Balmoral.  We  can't go to our holiday homes or caravans.  Not that I've got either 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Is it possible to buy a telly that, fast forwards, whenever any royal correspondent from any channel comes on.  Where do they find these sycophantic syrup slaverers ?. Ok fair enough commentate but ass kissing on Kryptonite PLEASEEEEEEEEE.

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just watched GMB and Frankie" Dettori said his mum is still in lock down in Italy after 40 days and there is no end in sight - the figures have flat lined but are still going on 

This has got to be a min of 3 month lock down then what’s the release plan - area by area then the second wave ??     Not sure what Germany are doing but from the figures per 1,000 they seem to be controlling a lot better - not here to criticise as I know everyone is doing there best - just an observation 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
32 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Not sure what Germany are doing but from the figures per 1,000 they seem to be controlling a lot better - not here to criticise as I know everyone is doing there best - just an observation 

As I understand things, Germany is doing MUCH wider testing than we are in the UK, so they have a much better understanding of the spread of the disease. They also have much more stringent border controls than we have -  we still are allowing airport passengers to stroll into the country unchecked. Admittedly flights are now limited, but apparently passengers still pass through unchecked for illness.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Just watched GMB and Frankie" Dettori said his mum is still in lock down in Italy after 40 days and there is no end in sight - the figures have flat lined but are still going on 

This has got to be a min of 3 month lock down then what’s the release plan - area by area then the second wave ??     Not sure what Germany are doing but from the figures per 1,000 they seem to be controlling a lot better - not here to criticise as I know everyone is doing there best - just an observation 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e748d1d82b514a54imageproxy.php?img=&key=e748d1d82b514a54imageproxy.php?img=&key=e748d1d82b514a54This may also help explain.

soul IMG_20200406_165525

Edited by Drewtg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Boris Johnson in Hospital - Best of luck Boris.

Keep your distance people!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Kathryn Magson said:

As I understand things, Germany is doing MUCH wider testing than we are in the UK, so they have a much better understanding of the spread of the disease. They also have much more stringent border controls than we have -  we still are allowing airport passengers to stroll into the country unchecked. Admittedly flights are now limited, but apparently passengers still pass through unchecked for illness.

That is incredible, thinking about all the border control tightening, rejection of Schengen, "hostile environment", Windrush deportations and immigration-related background noise to Brexit. Clearly much more important to be nasty than to be competent.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
35 minutes ago, Len said:

Boris Johnson in Hospital - Best of luck Boris.

Keep your distance people!

It's unlikely the stress of being PM will help. But again we see the importance of having a functional civil service and a cabinet that is sufficiently competent to manage things if the leader is temporarily out of action. I hope he pulls through and has time enough to think about these matters more carefully in recovery before reshuffling his cabinet in favour of competence rather than blind loyalty to Dominic Cummings.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

That is incredible, thinking about all the border control tightening, rejection of Schengen, and immigration-related background noise to Brexit. Clearly much more important to be nasty than to be competent.

So, slowly and surely the lies from the Brexit campaign unravel and reveal themselves, far too late unfortunately.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

So, slowly and surely the lies from the Brexit campaign unravel and reveal themselves, far too late unfortunately.

Must be careful not to get too sidetracked here, but a major problem (regardless of your perspective on Brexit) is that for over 3 years the civil service was consumed by the effort of "getting it done", not helped by the lazy pompous likes of David Davis and certain other cabinet ministers (including the current PM) who paid no attention to detail and were proud of it. Cummings and Gove added poison to the atmosphere by accusing anybody critical of working against them (and look how well that argument has worked for Trump). It got so bad that just before this crisis ministers were giving anonymous briefings to journalists against civil servants, who are forbidden from unauthorised contact with the media. So the conditions are, to put it mildly, not good for an orderly response. However, there should be enough talent on the Conservative benches right now to allow the PM to make a relatively rapid change of course and focus on (1) appropriate public health measures, (2) adequate NHS provision, and (3) economic survival. If not, then a national unity government should be possible.

Johnson is talented enough to make the first option work despite his track record and there is still a big reservoir of good will that would allow him to try and want him to succeed. Confidence is the issue now and if he doesn't get a handle on it soon then certainly Gove, but also Raab, Sunak and Rees-Mogg (among others - don't forget Hunt and Javid) will be presenting themselves as suitable successor material.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

best if we keep things on this topic  focused on the current virus situation

leave all the brexit shit to another day

• Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Boris Johnson now in intesive care.

Thoughts and prayers to him.

Len.

• Up vote 8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Coronavirus: What is the risk to men over 50?

BBC News online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52197594

found it a interesting read myself

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike said:

Coronavirus: What is the risk to men over 50?

BBC News online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52197594

found it a interesting read myself

Men over 50 on here, I doubt there's many of those. I was just reading that, but wasn't totally convinced. Being older you've got a more 'mature' immune system i.e being exposed to more 'germs' and in particular the common cold (a corona virus). Your country  builds up a fantastic 'military' just waiting for war to break out, but unfortunately sometimes it gets tricked into thinking  it's own nation is the enemy.

On radio 5 Live's 'Drive' tonight (sometime between 16:00-19:000) they're addressing this article, hopefully some experts to further enlighten us

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Articles: Kings Of Soul - Members 2020 Video Playlist
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Tue 07 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 43
    • Mike on 07 Apr 2020
  2. Corona Virus - News & Info
    All About the SOUL by Speedlimit on Thu 05 Mar 2020
    • 327 / 25324
    • Len on 05 Apr 2020
  3. Corona Business Work Issues
    Freebasing by Len on Sat 28 Mar 2020
    • 29 / 593
    • Len on 29 Mar 2020
  4. corona virus cancellations - events etc
    Site Stuff by Mike on Fri 13 Mar 2020
    • 24 / 1838
    • Amsterdam Russ on 17 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.