Fascinating Facts No 1 - Lester Tipton

I was reading a TV history at work today and came across a chapter on a '60s show called 'Swingin Time', which was broadcast locally in Detroit. The show was presented by Robin Seymour and like TOTP featured real people dancing in the studio. When asked who the top dancers were Seymour replies:

'The Tiptons - Lester and Leslie - they were probably the most famous. They were a black couple and great dancers, they were on the show every single day...Lester and Leslie would do do things, and the other kids would try to copy them. They entered this national contest that Dick Clark had and won..they won two Pontiac automoblies."

I didn't know Lester Tipton was a dancer, I didn't know Leslie existed and had no idea they won two Pontiacs.

I'd welcome more fascinating if useless facts about the rare soul greats.

Social source share

Wow nice info Soulfulsaint! !

Couple more Lester facts.....he's in the film 'Thank God It's Friday' ..I assume as a dancer, and according to Ritson and Russell in the book 'The In Crowd' he lived with Motown man Tom Deperro.

Social source share

That is brilliant!

I think Lester Tipton died in very tragic circumstances, as the victim of a robbery or something. Anyone able to confirm that?

according to thisoldsoul.com website, "Tipton died while disturbing a burglar at his Detroit home in 1982"..

probably never knew how popular his La Beat 45 was to become

Social source share

February 18, 2006

Gentlemen,

I'd like to share an experience with all of you that I thought might interest you. In June, 1970, as a "short-timer" in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam I was guarding 6 Viet Cong prisoners who were helping to rebuild a sandbag bunker that their comrades in arms had demolished with mortar fire. As I kept watch over the captured enemy soldiers I was listening to The AFVN (Armed Forces Vietnam Network) on my battery powered radio. The DJ announced "and now a just released jam "Give Me Just a Little More Time" by The Chairmen of the Board!

It wasn't the first time that I'd heard it and I liked it very much but this time I noticed one of the prisoners was not singing but was lip syncing the words, even the part that goes ..... "and our love will surely grow....bluuuurrrrtttt"! I asked him if he spoke English and he told me that he attended the University of Michigan. When asked how he came to be in his current predicament he told me that North Vietnamese Soldiers held AK-47 Assault Rifles to his wife's, father's and mother's heads and demanded he serve in their army or they would kill his family. He got himself captured the very first opportunity that he got.

That day, instead of being the "inhuman animals" that I had been trained, even brainwashed to believe, I saw my enemy as being human beings for the first time. I believe that event helped me to overcome prejudice more than any other single lesson in my life. You guys clearly had a part in that experience. Thank you for making such a horrible part of my life and the lives of thousands of others a little better, if for just a couple of minutes at a time, through your music.

Thank You and God Bless You,

Harry A, Rogers Captain, Charlotte Fire Department, Retired

Edited by Simsy
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

The Four Tops recorded and performed together for more than 40 years without any change to their original line-up.

No other group with a US number one record can make that claim.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

February 18, 2006

Gentlemen,

That's brilliant Simsy!

I never even knew you were in Chairman of the Board.

That particular song was (more triv here folks...) produced by Holland Dozier Holland but because they were undergoing legal contractual issues with Motown they credited themselves on the pressing under the pseudonym "Edith Wayne" - As they did on a lot of the early invictus records.

What do you mean you all knew that? tchah!

Social source share

That's brilliant Simsy!

I never even knew you were in Chairman of the Board.

That particular song was (more triv here folks...) produced by Holland Dozier Holland but because they were undergoing legal contractual issues with Motown they credited themselves on the pressing under the pseudonym "Edith Wayne" - As they did on a lot of the early invictus records.

What do you mean you all knew that? tchah!

If I remember correctly Lamont Dozier cleared up the Dunbar - Wayne conundrum last year once and for all. Apparently they were the Invictus Office cleaners! Great stuff!

Regards,

Dave

https://www.theresthatbeat.com

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

I was reading a TV history at work today and came across a chapter on a '60s show called 'Swingin Time', which was broadcast locally in Detroit. The show was presented by Robin Seymour and like TOTP featured real people dancing in the studio. When asked who the top dancers were Seymour replies:

'The Tiptons - Lester and Leslie - they were probably the most famous. They were a black couple and great dancers, they were on the show every single day...Lester and Leslie would do do things, and the other kids would try to copy them. They entered this national contest that Dick Clark had and won..they won two Pontiac automoblies."

I didn't know Lester Tipton was a dancer, I didn't know Leslie existed and had no idea they won two Pontiacs.

I'd welcome more fascinating if useless facts about the rare soul greats.

It's mentioned in Dave Welding's sleeve notes to the LaBeat cd grapevine put out that he was a dancer with his sister. It also mentions he later went on to become a barber. Was beaten to death by burglars 9th Feb 1982.

Social source share

(Lester Tipton)...was beaten to death by burglars 9th Feb 1982.

Doesn't such tragedy put it all into focus though? What price our petty concerns about "exclusives" and record prices, when the musical legacy we've inherited is way above monetary value. Lester Tipton's soul lives on.

Absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here's one I'm sure most don't know....

Milton Parker was a clothing shop owner near 27th street (the home of the first "Fatburger") off Western in Los Angeles back in the 1960's.

The shop was called "Mr. Parker's Closet" hence the name of his record label.

Bands like The Byrds for example would buy their stage outfits from him, and black teens would rent tuxedos for the prom, weddings, etc.

Most of his singles were distibuted personally, accounting for its rarity.

I still haven't located him or his family. :lol:

ANOTHER "FACT"

HB Barnum told me Earl Wright was actually him....!! :thumbsup:

Edited by MikeVague
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Milton Parker was a clothing shop owner near 27th street (the home of the first "Fatburger") off Western in Los Angeles back in the 1960's.

Bands like The Byrds for example would buy their stage outfits from him, and black teens would rent tuxedos for the prom, weddings, etc.

ANOTHER "FACT"

interesting.....veeeerry interesting

Social source share

• 14 years later...
4 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Can't seam to find a clip of that 68 dance comp final?

67 is on the tube and 69 with 2 pontiacs.

Anybody able to post the 68 so we can see the siblings perform etc.

Ed

From Discogs

Twins Lester and Leslie were high school celebrities in the late 60's as regular performers on Robin Seymour's "Swinging Time" dance program, which aired on Channel 9.

There is one Ed with the Supremes as Guests and the guy introducing makes reference to 2 dancers "They work for us" after Mary Wilson Compliments them.  Could be them or maybe too early, Its worth a look if only to look at Mary for the duration 😍

Edited by Imperial C
Social source share

• 2 years later...

I read an article that said Lester died tragically via a break in at his apartment, years ago.  I know both he and his twin sister Leslie had moved to California. I think they moved out there at some point after winning the National Dance Contest on American Bandstand. I do remember seeing them on Room 222 as extras.

Social source share

On 20/01/2007 at 04:26, Mikevague said:

ANOTHER "FACT"

Very old thread this, just so I have this right, Mike is / was saying Earl Wright was Milton parker?

Is that correct?

Just checked the Closet label for 'Women like it harder' and it states A Mr Parkers Closet' Production... 3100 S Western Avenue...  W27th is just short of a block away..

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

A couple of DID YOU KNOW's from me ...

The tracks credited to the Steinways were just rebranded Laddins recordings really (the record company thought their existing name branded them as old fashioned, so came up with a new one).
. . . BUT down in Miami, the Laddins were still a big drawn under their old name ... So they'd perform in New York as the Steinways but still be billed as the Laddins in Miami ...   The group had started life as an all male do-wop group, but around 1964, they'd added Frankie Gearing to the group to allow them to be more versatile in their live performances (male + female leads). However, after a while, she went off to form the Glories. She was on their Oliver tracks though which had been cut in spring 1966. Their rebranding did little to increase sales of their 45, however the single did almost make the top of the chart on Roanoke pop radio stn WROV in July 66 -- the 45 being on their chart for a period of weeks.  

Frankie Gearing was no longer in the group when the Laddins / Steinways made their 1st trip to the UK -- she was replaced with another female lead for those UK trips. They were brought over here by Roy Tempest & had to perform here as the Fabulous Platters.

SteinwaysLaddinsMiami.jpg

Steinways45RadioHitmont.jpg

Steinways66.jpg

steinswys45rev.jpg

SteinwaysMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

AN ADD ON ... The Steinways 2nd 45 did make a US R&B radio chart ... it was a Miami radio stn, so they actually did one show in the city as the Steinways.

Though most of their live shows were in the Miami & New York areas, they did do two in Yorkshire ... one shown below ... 

SteinwaysMont2.jpg

BinLidFakeGroups.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

A Miami gospel group wanted to land a recording contract ... so they went along with the record company's advice and changed their name ...

THUS the Gospel Jazz Singers became the Outer Limits (& then the Jet Setters) ... the group started out playing black venues around the city, but after they were a recording act they got lots of gigs at the big hotels on Miami Beach.

Not sure if the cuts attributed to a 'solo' Jesse Ferguson actually also featured the group or not. Jesse Lee Ferguson & the outer limits had "New Shoes" out on Pye Int of course.

MiamiJesseFergusonMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Back to Lester Tipton.

Stuart Cosgrove's excellent "Detroit 67, The Year That Changed Soul", has a chapter dedicated to the Detroit riots in July of that year. The legendary Fox Theatre was in full swing with a show headlined by Martha Reeves when the order to evacuate the theatre was given.Waiting to take stage (next?) was Lester Tipton, and JJ Barnes.

In the dressing room, awaiting the call were The Parliaments, Deon Jackson & The Dramatics.

What a show that could have been!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, ilar said:

I read an article that said Lester died tragically via a break in at his apartment, years ago.  I know both he and his twin sister Leslie had moved to California. I think they moved out there at some point after winning the National Dance Contest on American Bandstand. I do remember seeing them on Room 222 as extras.

Yes murdered in the early 80s during a break in at his LA home.  Think he’d jacked the music biz and gone hairdressing I seem to remember reading. 

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Fascinating reading. Thanks to everybody who has contributed.

If you love your Soul trivia ask your Alexa to check out on YouTube "Johnny G's vinyl treasures all 60's show". Original records that he shows you and the research done by his assistant Charlene is mind blowing.

Social source share

On 30/07/2023 at 08:39, Mike said:

nope Mal, am fairly sure Mike was passing on the 'known' info that Earl Wright was HB Barnum

ok, H.B had the band at Cleethorpes play 'Thumb a Ride' twice when he came out to do his set...  he came twice cause we didn't make enough noise!!

H.B wrote it obviously, but was supposed to of said Milton was Earl... he wasn't,  I geddit... it's that third person singular that got us Mike 🙂

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

If you were a budding recording artist down in Miami in the mid 60's, you could do worse than sign with local entrepreneur Mr. (Willie) Walters ... he had his own record labels (Wax-Wel + Went), wrote decent songs (or at least put his name as the writer on the 45 labels -- maybe he bought them outright from the actual writers) and produced lots of studio sessions. He also ran a string of successful wig shops, the main one of these being right across the road from the Continental Club (6000 NW 7th Ave).

He would promote lots of shows at this club (& others) and have his acts perform on them -- his acts being Mr. Percolator (Perk Badger), the Reflections & Mary Hylor. As well as getting to see his group / singers perform live, you would also get a Mr. Walters Wig Fashion Show (you lucky people).

To ensure their were lots of females (potential customers) in the audience at the club, he would make it free for women lots of nights.   

MiamiShowBettyeSwanDec68x.jpg

ReflectionsMiamiGig.jpg

Reflections45.jpg

MaryHylor45.jpg

MrPercolator45.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The Continental Club obviously knew who to 'butter up' ... I don't believe the night shown below was promoted by Mr. Walters but his shop still got a mention ... 

Mr Walters also promoted nights when the Bell Brothers, Little Eddie Taylor & Cal Roberts appeared live; I don't think any of them were his acts (though he may have wanted to manage them). I'm almost sure that the Tor-rons were a group he managed but (under that name) they never landed a record contract. When Mr.Walters was promoting the show, you always got a fashion show too (including a wig's show).

PLUS, when Willie Walters lost interest in putting out records / managing groups & singers, the Reflections moved on to work with another local business man -- local insurance agent Jack Gillen.

MiamiMrWaltersShop68.jpg

MiamiShowBellBrosNov68.jpg

MiamiShowMabelJohnNov68.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • New Members
On 19/01/2007 at 20:26, Mikevague said:

ANOTHER "FACT"

This is actually my paternal grandfather - Milton Parker. I've been trying to find out more information about him and this forum came up; amazing! My mother and father told me he owned a store in LA. He was born in Louisiana and relocated to CA. But that's about all we know. Do you have any other recollection of his store? Thank you so much!

Social source share

12 hours ago, brittp said:

This is actually my paternal grandfather - Milton Parker. I've been trying to find out more information about him and this forum came up; amazing! My mother and father told me he owned a store in LA. He was born in Louisiana and relocated to CA. But that's about all we know. Do you have any other recollection of his store? Thank you so much!

Hey brittp

If you post @Mikevague he will recieve a notification of your post.

Hopefully now he has that hence my reply 

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!