Articles: R-E-S-P-E-C-T Woman's Got Soul!

• Replies 3
  • Views 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

In case anyone was wondering,the photo shows Barbara Dane (of 'I'm On My Way ') fame with the underrated Chambers Brothers at one of the Newport Folk Festivals in the early-mid 60's. On Barbara's left is George Chambers,who sadly passed away last year.

Maxine Brown is,with respect, incorrect in saying Florence Greenberg was the only female record label owner in the 60's-there was  Madelon Baker in California with her Audio Arts label - all those classic 45's by The Incredibles,The Remarkables and Cassietta George. Also Devora Brown,who with her  husband Jack, ran the great,eccentric Fortune label in Detroit and perhaps the pioneer of them all ,Lillian McMurry's Trumpet Records in Jackson,Mississippi;she issued and produced the debut recordings by all-time Blues greats Elmore James and Sonny Boy Williamson ll (and some nice Gospel and Hillbilly,too)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Michael V said:

In case anyone was wondering,the photo shows Barbara Dane (of 'I'm On My Way ') fame with the underrated Chambers Brothers at one of the Newport Folk Festivals in the early-mid 60's. On Barbara's left is George Chambers,who sadly passed away last year.

Maxine Brown is,with respect, incorrect in saying Florence Greenberg was the only female record label owner in the 60's-there was  Madelon Baker in California with her Audio Arts label - all those classic 45's by The Incredibles,The Remarkables and Cassietta George. Also Devora Brown,who with her  husband Jack, ran the great,eccentric Fortune label in Detroit and perhaps the pioneer of them all ,Lillian McMurry's Trumpet Records in Jackson,Mississippi;she issued and produced the debut recordings by all-time Blues greats Elmore James and Sonny Boy Williamson ll (and some nice Gospel and Hillbilly,too)

Thanks for the additions Michael, it only strengthens the central message of the article. I knew the Maxine Brown quote would throw up a can of worms... The Barbara Dane image was apt I thought - in more ways than one, not only for what she has achieved musically in blues, folk and jazz but also for her civil rights activism.

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!