Larry Allen or L Allen

Julianb

Hi

I thought L.Allen was the first issue not Larry Allen which was pressed after L.Allen

this was massive at Yate Allnighters and i believe this is where it was first made big

if memory serves me right probably for Ian clark

great record , great Allnighter

ATB

Floyd

Edited by Floyd
Social source share

1 hour ago, Julianb said:

Hi guys, 

I've  been reading conflicting reports about which is the rarest copy of Can't we talk it over.

I'm sure all you knowledgeable people out there will put me straight!

TIA

Julian.  The L Allen was always historically about £50 cheaper than the Larry Allen . So I would assume that the Larry version was the rarer of the two.  Hope that helps.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, a way of life said:

Had them both at one time , sold the L.Allen as the Larry Allen is stone Mint.

soul 20190216_131328

My first copy 20 years ago was a L. Allen bought directly from the USA in G+ condition. Worn and scruffy from a rough life but still playable with snaps and pops. Then I manage to trade a L. Allen copy in Ex condition from a UK seller who said that he had just "upgraded"his copy for a rarer Larry Allen one. But when I finally got to see a Larry Allen copy I remained unimpressed. 

Few years ago I was reading stories on here on Soul Source with knowledgeable people like Dave Thorley about the L. Allen copies first being found and brought from the USA. After what some Larry Allen copies started surfacing... as a rarer, supposedly first pressing with the full name... But with the 'A' side of 'somewhere there is paradise' for the L. Allen and a Band of Angels credits...

Social source share

The L Allen is the first press, Larry Allen the second. The second press (Larry) surfaced a couple of years or so after Dave Raistick and Arther Fenn discovered it around '81. The second press was always a little more in price, but I have seen more of the second press in recent years, probably not a lot in it. Great Record out of Pittsburgh, I believe.

Social source share

Hi

I agree with Tiscapital, i still think L.Allen is the first press, most copies of it are worn including my own the Larry Allens only emerged after it was big at yate and most copies are Ex / M- which to me is a bit suspicious 

the Larry Allens look to new compared to L.Allen but hey thats just my  opinion

ATB

Floyd

Edited by Floyd
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Rare Toones said:

The L Allen is the first press, Larry Allen the second. The second press (Larry) surfaced a couple of years or so after Dave Raistick and Arther Fenn discovered it around '81. The second press was always a little more in price, but I have seen more of the second press in recent years, probably not a lot in it. Great Record out of Pittsburgh, I believe.

Very interesting. If there genuinely is a first press, then the price should be way above what might actually be a second issue. I sort of assumed they were all done at the same time but maybe at different pressing plants. The guy who has been trickling them out at $1,000 a pop had some interesting info in his sales blurb when I last bid on his mint copies.

So, are we assuming the mint copies date from the 80’s? They look very 60’s to me!

I have a rough copy from The Attic in Pittsburgh in need of an upgrade but I reckon I’ll hang back a bit longer to see how this saga unfolds...

Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Very interesting. If there genuinely is a first press, then the price should be way above what might actually be a second issue. I sort of assumed they were all done at the same time but maybe at different pressing plants. The guy who has been trickling them out at $1,000 a pop had some interesting info in his sales blurb when I last bid on his mint copies.

So, are we assuming the mint copies date from the 80’s? They look very 60’s to me!

I have a rough copy from The Attic in Pittsburgh in need of an upgrade but I reckon I’ll hang back a bit longer to see how this saga unfolds...

Well, they're both done at the same pressing plant. Some copies of the Larry Allen sold on the eVilBay over the years and few were in not so great shape. But that doesn't tell something when there's money to be made... Not implying this is necessary the case here, but it could also be some forgery.

Mind you beside the different shade of green print, the Larry versus the L. and the move of the 'Jerry Reed Production' credits either at bottom or middle right, I love the annotation on the real 'A' side under the L. Allen 'and a band of angels'. Why this change ? For 'air play' clearer presentation ?

329961344_Capturedcran2020-03-1719_13_23.thumb.png.bbc4cc16165e48f2482b4d81d5d21283.png

This could be and explain why more copies of the Larry Allen came out later and cleaner as the 'second' release success wouldn't have made it to the sales and poped-up later as NOS. Only a theory but they looks so close to each one another it's hard to tell if they're really contemporary or not.

Hence from this previous tread a Dave Thorley comment; The Label was owned by the same guy that owned Jeree records, Jerry Reed. The studio was still open up until a few years ago and you could walk in and just chat to Jerry and the other guys there. The studio was a contract studio, where they would record anyone that walked in the door and paid their money. As part of the deal they could arrange records to be pressed or just put it out on the Jeree label.

Edited by Tlscapital
sentencing
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rare Toones said:

Many examples as such where people give wrongly an "alternative" press the "first" press annotation because then, or just to them, it's rarer as "unusual" and so... But not ! Sometimes at least it's not the case. In this case many leads are not so reassuring about the Larry Allen copies I feel.

Social source share

Here's the link to the one sold on ebay.com the other day -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Allen-Version-45-034-Can-039-t-We-Talk-It-Over-034-Northern-Soul-First-Press-G-amp-C-115-B-/293512692503?hash=item4456b84317%3Ag%3AYR8AAOSwcw1ebptT&LH_BIN=1&nma=true&si=pWd2%252BMb7HZfSZXG0aaOSE2Z8npE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

According to the sellers sales blurb  -

"I can attest that this is a very rare first pressing of L Allen's record.  I was a friend of L Allen when I was living in Western Pennsylvania USA in the 1960s and he gave me some copies of his record.   This original first version has L Allen on the label.  There are not many great copies of the original pressing in 1965.   I actually witnessed L Allen singing his record live at a high school in Washington Pennsylvania.  I was part of his supporting stage crew and DJ. Let my 100% feedback rating speak for my character.

Based on the snippet below there may only be 100 or less original first press copies of this record in existence.

snippet of information interesting...
Larry Allen was from Greensburg, PA. Jerry Reed, who owned the label, had 1000 copies pressed. 500 as Larry Allen and 500 as L. Allen. It was released in the fall of 1965.

Jerry got frustrated because the record didn't sell and at the time he had an old car that he was junking, and he threw around 900 copies of the record into the trunk to be crushed and remelted"

• Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, tiberius said:

"I can attest that this is a very rare first pressing of L Allen's record.  I was a friend of L Allen when I was living in Western Pennsylvania USA in the 1960s and he gave me some copies of his record.   This original first version has L Allen on the label.  There are not many great copies of the original pressing in 1965.   I actually witnessed L Allen singing his record live at a high school in Washington Pennsylvania.  I was part of his supporting stage crew and DJ. Let my 100% feedback rating speak for my character.

Based on the snippet below there may only be 100 or less original first press copies of this record in existence.

Larry Allen was from Greensburg, PA. Jerry Reed, who owned the label, had 1000 copies pressed. 500 as Larry Allen and 500 as L. Allen. It was released in the fall of 1965.

Jerry got frustrated because the record didn't sell and at the time he had an old car that he was junking, and he threw around 900 copies of the record into the trunk to be crushed and remelted"

The sellers blurb sounds genuine to me and he mentions a certain L. Allen rathe that a Larry ! But he evidently tries to sell a L. Allen copy...

The snippet on the other hand is some words spread here and there on the net and borrowed as a "tell tale". How true is all that in real ?

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

1 hour ago, tiberius said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Allen-Version-45-034-Can-039-t-We-Talk-It-Over-034-Northern-Soul-First-Press-G-amp-C-115-B-/293512692503?hash=item4456b84317%3Ag%3AYR8AAOSwcw1ebptT&LH_BIN=1&nma=true&si=pWd2%2BMb7HZfSZXG0aaOSE2Z8npE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If there's 500 of each and he then decided to trash  approximately 900 that would have been 100 copies left and  as  mentioned there's about 100 L Allen's ,there should be no Larry Allen records at all . Something doesn't add up to me. Or have I totally  missed something 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

If there's 500 of each and he then decided to trash  approximately 900 that would have been 100 copies left and  as  mentioned there's about 100 L Allen's ,there should be no Larry Allen records at all . Something doesn't add up to me. Or have I totally  missed something 

What specific source mentions that exactly ? A name ? It's a "tell tale" I've read here and there but without a name to back it up some or to counter verify...

Numbers evidently don't add up in my book neither. Like you I'd have believe more than double that of copies just in circulation plus those still sitting uncovered.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

What specific source mentions that exactly ? A name ? It's a "tell tale" I've read here and there but without a name to back it up some or to counter verify...

Numbers evidently don't add up in my book neither. Like you I'd have believe more than double that of copies just in circulation plus those still sitting uncovered.

The post from Tiberius mentioned the 100 L Allen's.  😁

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

The post from Tiberius mentioned the 100 L Allen's.  😁

No it's older and taken 'as is' from the eVilBay auction guy who was friend with L. Allen who took it from somewhere on the net. I've read that bit before as from a text borrowed somewhere else... About to become a legend 🤗 Even on '45cat.com' it's copied, pasted and commented as such...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Bought my old copy in @ 92 from Rudzi at Boogaloo in Granby St. Leicester - my home town £90 - £110 can't remember exactly and think it was a L. Allen - sold it sometime between 95 - 97 when I packed up dJ'ing and sold up to Chaddie / Carl & Maria and Kenny Burrelland a few others.

Social source share

8 hours ago, The Yank said:

This article from Record World (May 14, 1966) does show that at the time of the record's release, there were copies made with Larry Allen as the artist.

OK, this is a great little piece of paper and could leave us to understand that the Larry Allen is a rerun/second release to supply either a public demand or a re-promotion campaign for the 'somewhere there is paradise' side as this article from mid 1966 highlight to back-up the label company "hit" records.

So if we could understand that the record was issued first by fall 1965 as L. Allen And A Band Of Angels which is not the best name to promote even more so for the DJs on air-play to say the least. Still facing up with some local success (or further some) a smart move would be to simplify the credits while repress it.

A bit like the Edwin Starr on Ric-Tic first batch title 'Agent OO Soul' quickly changed to 'Agent double O soul' due to issue for the radio DJs to present/promote the record title correctly. Maybe was the Larry Allen was (re-)pressed for similar reasons. Even if it should have been Leonard Allen...

The numbering catalogue of Jerry Reed's Jeree and Green Dolphin labels seem of utter simplicity. As the labels here below show the numbering starts with the last two numbers of the year (65-66) followed by the chronology of issued sides (1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 7...) leaving little doubt for the year of release.

So L. Allen was 65-7 & 65-8. The Larry Allen release used the same number. Even with a gap after this 65-7 & 65-8 Green Dolphin release with the only following number I could find being the Caprees on Jeree 66-13 & 66-14 as quoted in the small paper article from May 1966. So L. Allen is 1965 and Larry Allen 1966 maybe ?

857084667_Capturedcran2020-03-1807_23_45.thumb.png.f99c6ecc7723e8c59c28a731a63dc078.png

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

16 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

The same guy with the blurb & snippet who sold his L. Allen on the evilBay as shown here above sold a (at least one)  Larry Allen as well... Does he have that 900 batch copies out of Jerry's car trunk ? 😉

1485204474_Capturedcran2020-03-1808_32_44.thumb.png.b74a17b3bcbe33e1646a419528dd4114.png

Taking into account the recent sale, he has had at least another two on the market as I bid on them. There may even have been another one. So he had a small stash of Larry Allens, leaked out one by one over the last couple of years. There may be more to come. Not sure if any second chance offers were made but if the underbidder had offered a thousand dollars or more, it would make sense to double your money by putting up another for a quick sale. Either way, the bit about stumbling across a second mint copy does not ring true.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

yes, I agree - this guy has listed more than 3 over the last couple of yrs. - same provenance blurb - right from the second one I've wondered just how many does he have and at what rate will they be offered - lets be honest this sound in either guise has been in huge demand at whatever the market rate has been for at least the last 35yrs. - you could conclude that all these mint / nm copies must of come from original alleged chucked in the trunk 900 given the complexity of the provenance story unless there is something more sinister about these surfacing in qty in 2018 - onwards.

Buyer beware as always - and let's not forget in any given week somewhere / somehow remarkable 45's keep surfacing - I know I've had some myself on a continuous basis since I re-started collecting in 2011. Even last week a mis-pressed Mr. Dunn - 'Something is wrong' on Lauradunn - only because a guy in USA pulled out of the deal because he wanted the ballad title that was not actually on the 45 - probably explains it's rarity. 

Social source share

Maybe the 900 doomed copies were rescued somewhere between the  trunk  and the crusher/remelter ?  Several  copies of this were available  in the record bar at Wigan in the summer of 1980 for £ 25.00.  A big play for Rushbrooke at the time . 

Social source share

Would it rather be not the other way around whatever the real figures are... 900 (or less) sold and 100 (or more) went "in the trunk" of Jerry's car to be smashed and melted back. Which was the way in the USA before the unsold records found their way into the 'drilled' and 'cut outs' sales stacks.

Would Jerry Reed really do a repress of a record with a revised "easier" artist credit that did not sell some in the first place ? I seem to remember reading that 'somewhere there is a paradise' had some air play success amongst the teens and high school circles. And that seems rather plausible.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Julianb said:

A seller in the US has been drip feeding Little Tommy - Baby can't you see over the last 4 or 5 years. He has one on ebay at the moment, so maybe these 'finds' are still out there?

Not a find as such. He’s lucked onto a small hoard left behind by the artist or producer. The better finds at present are from estate sales of record company executives, representatives and employees such as the hauls coming out of Santa Cruz and Terre Haute. The trick is to drip them out one by one without flooding the market - now the Larry Allen cat is out of the bag, we may see the price fall. I hope so as I was getting fed up of my bids not winning.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I always thought they were different musically but played a couple on YouTube and they sound the same. Must have been off my box when I heard the Larry version. I got a copy off Shifty and when it arrived I played it and thought what a shit record. Then I played it out and it sounded wonderful, it’s the only record I can think of that does that to me 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ady Croasdell said:

I always thought they were different musically but played a couple on YouTube and they sound the same. Must have been off my box when I heard the Larry version. I got a copy off Shifty and when it arrived I played it and thought what a shit record. Then I played it out and it sounded wonderful, it’s the only record I can think of that does that to me 

That is the Desmond Dekker's 'Israelite' lyric symptom. Every time you heard it heard it you heard different lyrics... 🤠 But it's the same song.

Play a record out that you thought first was "shite" 🥶 Only a committed "northern soul" DJ could do that 😜 That I just couldn't. But indeed I am not a DJ, only occasionally, and I can fill the floor with the same commitment as to keep it empty for pure solo musical pleasure. Mods and Rockers might have a hard time there but who cares right ?

On the same note I must admit that some records that were not doing much for me in the first place when occasionally played out loud could take another 'wider' dimension 🚀 Making me wonder/thinking for 5 minutes if maybe I didn't got it right on the first hearing. But once I stop to wonder/thinking, the heart sets the record straight again. 😉

Edited by Tlscapital
enlightening answer
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soul Inc said:

Went to a small record show in Pittsburgh two years ago and a local guy and his son were selling a pile of records they had acquired, displayed in an assortment of metal, wooden, cardboard and generally inappropriate boxes, and obviously had no interest or knowledge in vinyl. They wanted to turn these things quickly into cash and said that everything was half price - I found the L. Allen (displayed and labelled for the other side) in there as well as a pile of other stuff that was priced $4, 6$ but nothing over $8 - When he totalled up the stack he pulled the L.Allen out to one side as it was marked $40, my heart stopped and he said "Does $6 for this work for you?" I graciously accepted the offer.

soul IMG_E3729

What condition is the condition in? The two I’ve see for sale in Pittsburgh were on the rough side.

Social source share

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the information - very knowledgeable as expected.

It's been posted earlier that the deadwax readings are the same for both.

My L.Allen copy reads on the 'Somewhere' side  G&C -115 -A      PARADISE   can someone please confirm same on Larry Allen?

TIA

Julian

Social source share

3 hours ago, Julianb said:

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the information - very knowledgeable as expected.

It's been posted earlier that the deadwax readings are the same for both.

My L.Allen copy reads on the 'Somewhere' side  G&C -115 -A      PARADISE   can someone please confirm same on Larry Allen?

TIA

Julian

Hi Julian

Yes that's what the Larry Allen has.

Ady

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!