Mike profile photo

real world record shops status?

Posted

just wondering about the status of some of the real world (as in physical stores) record shops...

any owners/workers/shoppers like to pass on plans/status in these uncertain  times?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

We decided to close after Saturday as we felt we couldn’t justify giving people a reason to mix. I was also concerned that public opinion could become hostile to businesses that remained open and that was proven pretty quickly here in Scarborough, when crowds flocked to both bays at weekend, resulting in heavy criticism of the shops and cafes who were felt to be encouraging them.

On Monday the decision was taken further out of our hands as the government announced the shut down of non-essential retail. Our particular circumstances are that I also got the NHS text I was expecting, advising me I was in a high risk group and instructing me to self isolate for 12 weeks.

Our full time staff member will be furloughed under the Government’s Job Retention scheme, which means he’ll get 80% of his wage paid (eventually - we pay until the scheme is up and running). Despite the fact that we’re paying him the other 20% he’s not allowed to work - it’s a bit like benefit fiddling.

Therefore, with neither of us allowed in the shop that’s our online sales effectively shut down too and I took down our Discogs inventory today.

Judging by the conversations on the RSD forum, although all indie record shops are now closed, there’s still some lively debate about whether it’s right to continue to offer a mail order service just now.

Testing times to say the least...

 

Edited by Godzilla
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Just learned that record stores in Michigan have been told to close, like here in Britain I guess. The store owners are self employed so under pressure to earn a living and cover costs. Online shopping will help some store owners to get by but it will be tough on both sides of the Atlantic. If you are stuck in the house, music will be one of the few pleasures during the grim weeks and months ahead so a few record purchases may help keep some businesses ticking over.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

 I think it's more than just Michigan. I got an e-mail from Dusty Groove in Chicago- their Chicago store is closed but they

are open for online business. 

      The idea in the U.S. is that the President has left it up to each state's governors to decide how to deal with the 

Corona Virus In some states its business as usual and in others it's "shelter in place" aka stay home and only essential businesses are open. 

Edited by The Yank

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Record Store Day Put Back to June 2020
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Fri 13 Mar 2020
    • 3 / 344
    • Godzilla on 08 Apr 2020
  2. Record flattening device ! Anyone ever use one ?
    Look At Your Box by Chris L on Sun 05 Apr 2020
    • 12 / 641
    • Greedy Mick on 08 Apr 2020
  3. Alton Ellis Greatest Hits LP ~ Third World
    Record Sales by Soulgalore on Mon 06 Apr 2020
    • 2 / 220
    • James Rice on 06 Apr 2020
  4. Radio - Anywhere in the World
    Freebasing by Zoomsoulblue on Sun 05 Apr 2020
    • 5 / 144
    • Simon T on 05 Apr 2020
  5. big list 0f 24 soul records for a Sunday.. a real mixed
    Record Sales by Dave Pinch on Sun 05 Apr 2020
    • 7 / 684
    • Dave Pinch on 05 Apr 2020

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.