Jump to content

Charles Brandy - still a mystery (to me)


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Rare thing on Demo only (I think)

Is the the other scan (issue) a boot ? Phil Enthucol ? has been selling these (and lots of other boots ?)

I never managed to find out who Charles is / was

I see Robert Banks arranged and think that the writers may be 

Johnny Northern, Andre Montell  and JR Bailey ?

Any more info please to rest my tiny mind

 

soul Charles Real

soul Charles

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 26
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all...absolutely love this tune...here's photos of my issue if it helps....  

what a record

Will do I do seem to recall him playing an issue at the dome when I used to travel with him 

Posted Images

Posted

The issue label in the picture looks like a boot as the blue is to pale but I'm sure Mick H had a original issue of this and maybe Carl fortnum I'll check with them when I get home. I don't recall seeing any boots of this superb tune but nothings scared these days. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

The issue label in the picture looks like a boot as the blue is to pale but I'm sure Mick H had a original issue of this and maybe Carl fortnum I'll check with them when I get home. I don't recall seeing any boots of this superb tune but nothings scared these days. 

An issue, never seen one 😃 ask Mick, please, if that was one of the ones he found in his garage (down the back of some shelving !!!)

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

When this turned up un the late seventies ( I think John M turned it up on on one of his unknown tapes), I only ever saw Blue / Yellow issues. I don't recall any white demos, but clearly they must have been around.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

An issue, never seen one 😃 ask Mick, please, if that was one of the ones he found in his garage (down the back of some shelving !!!)

 Will do I do seem to recall him playing an issue at the dome when I used to travel with him 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

When this turned up un the late seventies ( I think John M turned it up on on one of his unknown tapes), I only ever saw Blue / Yellow issues. I don't recall any white demos, but clearly they must have been around.

Mick seem to think it was Dave Raistrick that found this as he was first to play it. Notts Palais nighters late 79 Covered as Bob Relf  along with Elbie Parker c/u pookie Hudson eddy Jacobs exchange c/u  Ronnie mcneir and a few others on the same night 

 

Regards Steve 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Speedlimit said:

Mick seem to think it was Dave Raistrick that found this as he was first to play it. Notts Palais nighters late 79 Covered as Bob Relf  along with Elbie Parker c/u pookie Hudson eddy Jacobs exchange c/u  Ronnie mcneir and a few others on the same night 

 

Regards Steve 

Will ask Dave, wondered where I had I heard it....The Palais, thanks

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Think I have a playlist from the night in a copy of the soul sauce mag Chris fletcher used to write somewhere I check when I get home. 

  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I assumed it was a Dave Raistrick find and sold to (or a spare) Gary Rushbrooke who played it as Bob Relf

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

The issue label in the picture looks like a boot as the blue is to pale but I'm sure Mick H had a original issue of this and maybe Carl fortnum I'll check with them when I get home. I don't recall seeing any boots of this superb tune but nothings scared these days. 

It got reissued, might have been for record store day?  The scan of the issue above is the reissue. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Chalky said:

It got reissued, might have been for record store day?  The scan of the issue above is the reissue. 

Wow I thought it was a boot ? thanks

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It got reissued, might have been for record store day?  The scan of the issue above is the reissue. 

Karl are you up on the credits I mentioned

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Karl are you up on the credits I mentioned

Have you compared CB with a Robert Banks vocal?

Edited by Chalky
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Karl are you up on the credits I mentioned

It might well be but Joe Boy have access to Blue Cat catalogue, think it was they who issued AdLibs on RSD. 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Mick seem to think it was Dave Raistrick that found this as he was first to play it. Notts Palais nighters late 79 Covered as Bob Relf  along with Elbie Parker c/u pookie Hudson eddy Jacobs exchange c/u  Ronnie mcneir and a few others on the same night 

 

Regards Steve 

You could be right Steve, my first hearing was a JM unknowns tape, but that could have been after Dave R.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
22 hours ago, Chalky said:

I assumed it was a Dave Raistrick find and sold to (or a spare) Gary Rushbrooke who played it as Bob Relf

Think it was a spare as Gary had the vondells off him at the same time. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The other side of the disc, Without Your Love, is on a 2006 Goldmine CD ,Beat Ballad Heaven. Tim Brown's sleeve notes for the track state that the record was withdrawn as the publishing details were left off the stock copy labels. A scan of the label shows the left side of the label blank, without publishers name. Without checking I think OKeh often didn't have publishers name on stock copies so maybe not required except for promo records.

He also speculates that Charles Brandy could be Robert Banks, which judging by comparing the vocals sounds possible but without evidence I'd say it is just another unproven theory.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

The other side of the disc, Without Your Love, is on a 2006 Goldmine CD ,Beat Ballad Heaven. Tim Brown's sleeve notes for the track state that the record was withdrawn as the publishing details were left off the stock copy labels. A scan of the label shows the left side of the label blank, without publishers name. Without checking I think OKeh often didn't have publishers name on stock copies so maybe not required except for promo records.

He also speculates that Charles Brandy could be Robert Banks, which judging by comparing the vocals sounds possible but without evidence I'd say it is just another unproven theory.

 

1 minute ago, Ficklefingers said:

What a great shout @Chalky 

Very speculative, naturally.. but what a great shout !!

I have no proof and haven't read Tim's comments before.  I just compared the vocals of those on the credits to Charles.  Robert Banks definitely a contender in my opinion.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chalky said:

 

I have no proof and haven't read Tim's comments before.  I just compared the vocals of those on the credits to Charles.  Robert Banks definitely a contender in my opinion.

Hunting around and I am with Karl on this so far (brilliant that you lead me down this route), I found this article which mentions the Production (J.A.J.) on The Charles Brandy, Andre Motell (pictured) and makes sense as they are clearly the writers as in Tammy Wayne (Ansler/Andre Montell) and Kurtis Scott

I do wonder though how the RSD reissue ? managed to be so far out on the credit A. Merrill ?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KBIEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=J.A.J.+Productions+mgm&source=bl&ots=3StDp0T0sS&sig=ACfU3U3NcxPXKky9jxi45HAjKgXq5eB3xA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwnI6SzrzoAhXRiVwKHeDzBdMQ6AEwG3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=J.A.J. Productions mgm&f=false

I wonder if this was him who has sadly passed away last year

http://www.royalfhmiami.com/obituary/6438638

https://www.facebook.com/1157345677662180/posts/sad-to-hear-that-mr-andre-montell-passed-away-he-is-a-music-legend-who-has-worke/2489121961151205/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yTshAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA1262&lpg=PA1262&dq=ansler+montell+andre&source=bl&ots=R5_3EtEIMS&sig=ACfU3U2uCcAIHUPqjcVhLA4zJy90psTWUA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwloKN07zoAhXLgVwKHfsCAsQQ6AEwBnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=ansler montell andre&f=false

soul Tammy

 

soul Ansler

soul Kurtis

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Edwin S Wales said:

Hi all...absolutely love this tune...here's photos of my issue if it helps....

 

soul 86B9E9F4 339E 47AC 81FC D8EDB80F3E12

soul E8886175 B6EB 4960 A893 ADED79AE70CE

Nice and the correct Andre Montell credit......at last, thanks

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Charles Brandy - I Cant Get Enough Of You - Blue Cat Demo
    Record Sales by Raresoul45s on Thu 09 Jun 2011
    • 1 / 508
    • Raresoul45s on 09 Jun 2011
  2. William Powell - Charles Brandy
    All About The Soul by SteveCee on Sun 21 Nov 2004
    • 1 / 466
    • SteveCee on 21 Nov 2004
  3. Charles Brandy - Blue Cat
    Record Wants by PhilT on Fri 10 Oct 2014
    • 1 / 355
    • PhilT on 10 Oct 2014
  4. Whos Got A Charles Brandy To Punt
    Record Wants by Lenny Harkins on Sat 11 Feb 2006
    • 1 / 448
    • Lenny Harkins on 11 Feb 2006
  5. Charles Brandy - I Cant Get Enough Of You - Blue Cat Demo
    Record Sales by Raresoul45s on Tue 14 Jun 2011
    • 1 / 1111
    • Raresoul45s on 14 Jun 2011
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.