Charles Brandy - still a mystery (to me)

Rare thing on Demo only (I think)

Is the the other scan (issue) a boot ? Phil Enthucol ? has been selling these (and lots of other boots ?)

I never managed to find out who Charles is / was

I see Robert Banks arranged and think that the writers may be 

Johnny Northern, Andre Montell  and JR Bailey ?

Any more info please to rest my tiny mind

soul Charles Real

soul Charles

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

The issue label in the picture looks like a boot as the blue is to pale but I'm sure Mick H had a original issue of this and maybe Carl fortnum I'll check with them when I get home. I don't recall seeing any boots of this superb tune but nothings scared these days. 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

The issue label in the picture looks like a boot as the blue is to pale but I'm sure Mick H had a original issue of this and maybe Carl fortnum I'll check with them when I get home. I don't recall seeing any boots of this superb tune but nothings scared these days. 

An issue, never seen one 😃 ask Mick, please, if that was one of the ones he found in his garage (down the back of some shelving !!!)

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

An issue, never seen one 😃 ask Mick, please, if that was one of the ones he found in his garage (down the back of some shelving !!!)

Will do I do seem to recall him playing an issue at the dome when I used to travel with him 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

When this turned up un the late seventies ( I think John M turned it up on on one of his unknown tapes), I only ever saw Blue / Yellow issues. I don't recall any white demos, but clearly they must have been around.

Mick seem to think it was Dave Raistrick that found this as he was first to play it. Notts Palais nighters late 79 Covered as Bob Relf  along with Elbie Parker c/u pookie Hudson eddy Jacobs exchange c/u  Ronnie mcneir and a few others on the same night 

Regards Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Speedlimit said:

Mick seem to think it was Dave Raistrick that found this as he was first to play it. Notts Palais nighters late 79 Covered as Bob Relf  along with Elbie Parker c/u pookie Hudson eddy Jacobs exchange c/u  Ronnie mcneir and a few others on the same night 

Regards Steve 

Will ask Dave, wondered where I had I heard it....The Palais, thanks

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

5 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

It got reissued, might have been for record store day?  The scan of the issue above is the reissue. 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Regards Steve 

You could be right Steve, my first hearing was a JM unknowns tape, but that could have been after Dave R.

Social source share

The other side of the disc, Without Your Love, is on a 2006 Goldmine CD ,Beat Ballad Heaven. Tim Brown's sleeve notes for the track state that the record was withdrawn as the publishing details were left off the stock copy labels. A scan of the label shows the left side of the label blank, without publishers name. Without checking I think OKeh often didn't have publishers name on stock copies so maybe not required except for promo records.

He also speculates that Charles Brandy could be Robert Banks, which judging by comparing the vocals sounds possible but without evidence I'd say it is just another unproven theory.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

The other side of the disc, Without Your Love, is on a 2006 Goldmine CD ,Beat Ballad Heaven. Tim Brown's sleeve notes for the track state that the record was withdrawn as the publishing details were left off the stock copy labels. A scan of the label shows the left side of the label blank, without publishers name. Without checking I think OKeh often didn't have publishers name on stock copies so maybe not required except for promo records.

He also speculates that Charles Brandy could be Robert Banks, which judging by comparing the vocals sounds possible but without evidence I'd say it is just another unproven theory.

1 minute ago, Ficklefingers said:

What a great shout @Chalky 

Very speculative, naturally.. but what a great shout !!

I have no proof and haven't read Tim's comments before.  I just compared the vocals of those on the credits to Charles.  Robert Banks definitely a contender in my opinion.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Chalky said:

I have no proof and haven't read Tim's comments before.  I just compared the vocals of those on the credits to Charles.  Robert Banks definitely a contender in my opinion.

Hunting around and I am with Karl on this so far (brilliant that you lead me down this route), I found this article which mentions the Production (J.A.J.) on The Charles Brandy, Andre Motell (pictured) and makes sense as they are clearly the writers as in Tammy Wayne (Ansler/Andre Montell) and Kurtis Scott

I do wonder though how the RSD reissue ? managed to be so far out on the credit A. Merrill ?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KBIEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=J.A.J.+Productions+mgm&source=bl&ots=3StDp0T0sS&sig=ACfU3U3NcxPXKky9jxi45HAjKgXq5eB3xA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwnI6SzrzoAhXRiVwKHeDzBdMQ6AEwG3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=J.A.J. Productions mgm&f=false

I wonder if this was him who has sadly passed away last year

https://www.royalfhmiami.com/obituary/6438638

https://www.facebook.com/1157345677662180/posts/sad-to-hear-that-mr-andre-montell-passed-away-he-is-a-music-legend-who-has-worke/2489121961151205/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yTshAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA1262&lpg=PA1262&dq=ansler+montell+andre&source=bl&ots=R5_3EtEIMS&sig=ACfU3U2uCcAIHUPqjcVhLA4zJy90psTWUA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwloKN07zoAhXLgVwKHfsCAsQQ6AEwBnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=ansler montell andre&f=false

soul Tammy

soul Ansler

soul Kurtis

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!