Wil Collins and Willpower - help please ?

I am sorry if this has been covered before, please direct me if I missed the thread.

There were and still are lovers of this soul / disco tune and I always wondered who was doing vocals

The you tube video has a comment saying Bootsy Collins ? have I been away from the scene that long that I missed it ?

Also as I was trying to research I also came across an article about Thom Bridwell, who sadly passed in 2018

Thom Bridwell was born and raised in Harlem, though his parents are both originally from Greenville. He is a graduate of the High School of Music and Art, the Manhattan School of Music and the Julliard School of Music. He is a former faculty member of the City College of New York, Harlem School of Arts, and New York School for Commercial Music. Thom has conducted six Tony Award-winning Broadway musicals and has served as the musical director for the world famous Cotton Club. He has worked on recordings for artists including Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Lena Horne, Teddy Pendergrass, Lou Rawls, the Stylistics, and the Manhattans, and assisted Quincy Jones in creating the dance music for The Wiz. Thom also toured with the Chambers Brothers and Mandrill, among others, and produced the song, "Help is On the Way," by the Whatnauts on his own record label, Harlem International Records.

Any help in my search for answers would be appreciated, thanks

soul Wil Italy

Social source share

8 hours ago, The Yank said:

soul Will

bought this album as a new release in the UK in the summer of 1986.. the bareback 45 was issued but its quite a bit rarer than the promo which i have,, did also surface in italy on the derby label..just sold one of those for £350.. still so very fashionable after all these years

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

stock copy image

soul R 14778592 1581421275 8698.jpeg

Thanks from one of Yorkshire's best, cheers Dave

Question from Mr Welding's piece "which appears to have never been issued". I believe it was on both styrene and vinyl (issue) ? which sort of makes that a strange quote ?

And who was Art Polhemus ?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Question from Mr Welding's piece "which appears to have never been issued". I believe it was on both styrene and vinyl (issue) ? which sort of makes that a strange quote ?

in daves defence  i think he wrote that piece several years ago.. you never saw a stock copy ever. .i saw the italian job before a usa stock copy and even now ive only seen the vinyl issue in the flesh ..its only been thru ebay a couple or three times in the last 10 years.. but yes the stock exists in both vinyl and styrene formats.. super rare

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Might be wrong but it is  Willie’s belief that it was never issued? But as Dave said you didn’t see the issuevat one point just the demo. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

in daves defence  i think he wrote that piece several years ago.. you never saw a stock copy ever. .i saw the italian job before a usa stock copy and even now ive only seen the vinyl issue in the flesh ..its only been thru ebay a couple or three times in the last 10 years.. but yes the stock exists in both vinyl and styrene formats.. super rare

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Might be wrong but it is  Willie’s belief that it was never issued? But as Dave said you didn’t see the issuevat one point just the demo. 

I think he is on FB and has this release

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/williecollins

Willie Collins Music ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Art Polhemus - There's a lot stuff known about him, and his partner Bob Wyld (Longhair Productions). e.g.Sandy & The Pebbles 'He's My Kind a Fella'

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

It's actually Will Collins.

A biog written by Dave Welding @Louise

Will Collin’s A Man That Can Do Anything.

Willie C. Collins was originally from North Carolina. He only chooses to use the initial of his middle name for the simple fact he’s doesn’t like it. Willie’s first recording came about as part of a New York based group, ‘The Combinations’. The Combinations were a male vocal group whose line up included Willie and three other guys all from British Honduras Hubert Usher, Lenny Bailey and a guy only remembered as Gerald. Under the auspices of David Braithwaite and Ernest Kelley they recorded a solitary 45 release “(Too Long) I’ve Been Waiting/Please Don’t Leave Me” (Soul “O” Sonic), this being the earlier New York based version of Ernest Kellley’s label. Ernest Kelly was very instrumental in Willie Collins early career, it was he who encouraged Willie to persue a solo career with Willie recording his first solo outing on Ernest’s Geneva label again the earlier New York variant, of Ernest’s label which he would later reactivate in Detroit during the 1970’s). The much covered Ernest Kelley penned song “I Want Some Satisfaction” (later recorded by Mike Jemison and Betty Bibbs) b/w with the Billy Nichols and Willie Bridges penned deep soul ballad “Two Lives” (Willie Bridges being a old Army bubby of Kelley’s).

Willie would work on and off over many years with Billy Nichols during the 1070’s fronting Billy’s group B.W. & The Next Edition who recorded two 45’s for Carl Davis’s, Daker Label. Other 70’s recordings under the abbreviated name of Will Collins would follow for the Panic and Mercury labels before Will’s most revered solo release his 1977 Bareback Records recording the uplifting 70’s dance track “Anything I Can Do” which appears to have never been issued. Will when questioned remembers the song but could not shed any light as to what happened to the songs after he recorded them. Therefore you can imagine his surprise when he was informed of the release of “Anything You Can Do” on the Italian Derby label!
Will was once again reunited with Billy Nichols as his producer on his 1986 project the “Where You Gonna Be Tonight” album which he cut for Capitol Records.

Words By: David Welding
With Acknowledgements to: Will Collins and the late Ernest Kelley.

Thanks so far for help in this jigsaw, thought would add this to the mix, B side played I think 2 label variations (one said "Too" and this one "To". Anyone got a sound file ? 

soul Willie 08.07.42

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I think "Anything..." was released. The 1st article is from June, 1977, the second one shows WAMM in Flint, Michigan did give it some airplay in September, 1977.   Both articles have  a slightly different name for the singer.

soul 000_0003

soul WAMM

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

You can find Cal on Discogs, but you won't see this there...

Cal Brandon and the "Sound Manufuacturers" band formerly of the Clarence Carter show (and his backup band)., appeared at The Rocky Mount Fair North Carolina. Makes sense when you see where Cal's Hitman label recordings came from.

something i found out when doing -

Edited by Kenb
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

You can find Cal on Discogs, but you won't see this there...

Cal Brandon and the "Sound Manufuacturers" band formerly of the Clarence Carter show (and his backup band)., appeared at The Rocky Mount Fair North Carolina. Makes sense when you see where Cal's Hitman label recordings came from.

Did Charles Johnson own the Hitman label and Wigwam (Saints)

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Charles O. Johnson, don't think it was the Charles we know from the 70s biggie?

There was  Charles Johnson, "Rocky Mount" who somehow connected (somehow) to Mel And Tim (you are really testing me now) and that's were I thought the connection was and both these sides were release on Grapevine G2K 45-148 2004

soul Cal

soul Saints

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

So its not Charles Johnson we know from the 70s biggie?  Charles wasn't his fist name.

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This is Charles and I waiting for his son to come back with more info as he passed a few years ago

soul Charles

Linking back to my previous thread on Rocky Mount, etc. I do know a Charles O. Johnson was a radio station GM, commentator/DJ (a was possible involved in the purchase of WRSV. COJ senior's son was also called Charles (Chuck). I'm not sure who is in the photo ( i'm not disputing it COJ)...i just don't know.

Hope it helps.

Oh yes-BTW...he was for a time Mel & Tim's manager.

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Linking back to my previous thread on Rocky Mount, etc. I do know a Charles O. Johnson was a radio station GM, commentator/DJ (a was possible involved in the purchase of WRSV. COJ senior's son was also called Charles (Chuck). I'm not sure who is in the photo ( i'm not disputing it COJ)...i just don't know.

Hope it helps.

Oh yes-BTW...he was for a time Mel & Tim's manager.

That is spot on (as usual you are so good) and Chuck is helping me prepare a bio (hopefully), this link lead me to his son, let's hope he some info on the Saints, unless it's been covered here before 😃, don't you wish he has all his father's memorabilia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRSV

From a Janitor to all this, the paths. the paths

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

This what we have so far

During his high school years, Charles O. Johnson developed a reputation for being a high achiever. He was extraordinarily articulate, always well-informed and academically gifted. As a matter of fact, he graduated valedictorian of his high school class. He is remembered by old school mates as having such polished social graces that he could relate across racial lines in ways that some could not.

In his early adolescent years, he would sit out on his front porch on Highway 481 and listen to WCBS of New York and WLAC of Nashville, TN. That is where he got the radio bug. These far-away stations were the first to put songs on the air that catered to the black audience. The announcers were often black professionals who always seemed to enjoy their work.

Our Founder 

In an Enfield, NC grocery store, a young bagger decided there had to be mjore to life than bagging groceries. Some people dream of making a name in LA or Detroit or New York, not Charles O. Johnson. He dreamed of making a difference in Nash, Edgecome, and Wilson counties. He became a homegrown phenomenon in his own time.

Charles' idea was simply to get his foot in the door of radio. His first step with radio was as a janitor. Eventually, he got an announcer's position with a station in Scotland Neck, NC. To further his career, he moved on to station WCEC-WFMA locally (Rocky Mount).

Club 810 became synonymous with Charles O. Johnson, the radio personality. It gave him and identity apart from everyone else locally and allowed him to reach the black audience in a way that had not been done. The program included Charles' unmatched commentary and exceptional music from black artists from everywhere in the country. He began to sponsor acts in local shows as well as hgih notoriety acts. He had gained credibility with such artists as Smokey Robinson, James Brown, Joe Tex, and others. Charles' growth did not stop there. He also became a manager of a group known as Mel & Tim that he had booked in local clubs. He produced a song titled "Starting All Over Again." This song became a hit record for Mel & Tim (later released by Hall & Oates). They went on to produce another hit record titled "Backfield in Motion."

In 1988, Charles realized a dream he had for many years. Charles got the opportunity to arrange a purchase of stations WRSV 92.1 FM and WEED 1390 AM. Both of them operated under the same roof. Charles had been with these stations for a number of years and saw an opportunity to become an owner and general manager. Under his tutelage, both radio stations have grown in listenership.

https://members.tripod.com/sdeej_99/founder/

And a nice photo him at the radio station

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cOWO-ahOKlwC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=wrsv+North+Carolina+charles+johnson&source=bl&ots=_rI0jfFfut&sig=ACfU3U0dhootBkmxnqCzBmXQtDWT2YsdVg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5j4a50r_oAhWBY8AKHYuOAMIQ6AEwBXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=wrsv North Carolina charles johnson&f=false

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This what we have so far

During his high school years, Charles O. Johnson developed a reputation for being a high achiever. He was extraordinarily articulate, always well-informed and academically gifted. As a matter of fact, he graduated valedictorian of his high school class. He is remembered by old school mates as having such polished social graces that he could relate across racial lines in ways that some could not.

In his early adolescent years, he would sit out on his front porch on Highway 481 and listen to WCBS of New York and WLAC of Nashville, TN. That is where he got the radio bug. These far-away stations were the first to put songs on the air that catered to the black audience. The announcers were often black professionals who always seemed to enjoy their work.

Our Founder 

In an Enfield, NC grocery store, a young bagger decided there had to be mjore to life than bagging groceries. Some people dream of making a name in LA or Detroit or New York, not Charles O. Johnson. He dreamed of making a difference in Nash, Edgecome, and Wilson counties. He became a homegrown phenomenon in his own time.

Charles' idea was simply to get his foot in the door of radio. His first step with radio was as a janitor. Eventually, he got an announcer's position with a station in Scotland Neck, NC. To further his career, he moved on to station WCEC-WFMA locally (Rocky Mount).

Club 810 became synonymous with Charles O. Johnson, the radio personality. It gave him and identity apart from everyone else locally and allowed him to reach the black audience in a way that had not been done. The program included Charles' unmatched commentary and exceptional music from black artists from everywhere in the country. He began to sponsor acts in local shows as well as hgih notoriety acts. He had gained credibility with such artists as Smokey Robinson, James Brown, Joe Tex, and others. Charles' growth did not stop there. He also became a manager of a group known as Mel & Tim that he had booked in local clubs. He produced a song titled "Starting All Over Again." This song became a hit record for Mel & Tim (later released by Hall & Oates). They went on to produce another hit record titled "Backfield in Motion."

In 1988, Charles realized a dream he had for many years. Charles got the opportunity to arrange a purchase of stations WRSV 92.1 FM and WEED 1390 AM. Both of them operated under the same roof. Charles had been with these stations for a number of years and saw an opportunity to become an owner and general manager. Under his tutelage, both radio stations have grown in listenership.

https://members.tripod.com/sdeej_99/founder/

And a nice photo him at the radio station

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cOWO-ahOKlwC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=wrsv+North+Carolina+charles+johnson&source=bl&ots=_rI0jfFfut&sig=ACfU3U0dhootBkmxnqCzBmXQtDWT2YsdVg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5j4a50r_oAhWBY8AKHYuOAMIQ6AEwBXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=wrsv North Carolina charles johnson&f=false

Anthing about him an Alston release just curious now 👍

Social source share

2 hours ago, The Yank said:

Just to clear up a few minor details-

1) Charles Johnson did not produce "Starting All Over Again" for Mel and Tim.

2) "Backfield In Motion" was released 3 years before "Starting All Over Again"

soul Mel

Interesting that point ( I will hopefully get to the bottom of it)

Anyway here's a couple, Goldleaf was apparently Charles's label

https://www.carolinasoul.org/site/index.php/site/comments/happy_birthday_nolla_mainor/

soul Nola

soul Char A

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• 8 months later...
On 26/03/2020 at 19:35, Chalky said:

It's actually Will Collins.

A biog written by Dave Welding @Louise

Will Collin’s A Man That Can Do Anything.

Willie C. Collins was originally from North Carolina. He only chooses to use the initial of his middle name for the simple fact he’s doesn’t like it. Willie’s first recording came about as part of a New York based group, ‘The Combinations’. The Combinations were a male vocal group whose line up included Willie and three other guys all from British Honduras Hubert Usher, Lenny Bailey and a guy only remembered as Gerald. Under the auspices of David Braithwaite and Ernest Kelley they recorded a solitary 45 release “(Too Long) I’ve Been Waiting/Please Don’t Leave Me” (Soul “O” Sonic), this being the earlier New York based version of Ernest Kellley’s label. Ernest Kelly was very instrumental in Willie Collins early career, it was he who encouraged Willie to persue a solo career with Willie recording his first solo outing on Ernest’s Geneva label again the earlier New York variant, of Ernest’s label which he would later reactivate in Detroit during the 1970’s). The much covered Ernest Kelley penned song “I Want Some Satisfaction” (later recorded by Mike Jemison and Betty Bibbs) b/w with the Billy Nichols and Willie Bridges penned deep soul ballad “Two Lives” (Willie Bridges being a old Army bubby of Kelley’s).

Willie would work on and off over many years with Billy Nichols during the 1070’s fronting Billy’s group B.W. & The Next Edition who recorded two 45’s for Carl Davis’s, Daker Label. Other 70’s recordings under the abbreviated name of Will Collins would follow for the Panic and Mercury labels before Will’s most revered solo release his 1977 Bareback Records recording the uplifting 70’s dance track “Anything I Can Do” which appears to have never been issued. Will when questioned remembers the song but could not shed any light as to what happened to the songs after he recorded them. Therefore you can imagine his surprise when he was informed of the release of “Anything You Can Do” on the Italian Derby label!
Will was once again reunited with Billy Nichols as his producer on his 1986 project the “Where You Gonna Be Tonight” album which he cut for Capitol Records.

Words By: David Welding
With Acknowledgements to: Will Collins and the late Ernest Kelley.

Karl, I know it's been a while but 45 cat seem to have this Combinations as the same group as recorded on Master, Carrie and Solid Rock, does that indicate that dave's article is incorrect please or 45 cat

https://www.45cat.com/artist/the-combinations-michigan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!