Mike

lockdown life..

Mike

A topic open and welcome to ALL members to discuss day to day CV related subjects/topics in both a helpful and a worthwhile style.

Please keep things helpful and worthwhile. If needed use the members CV serious topic for the more serious CV discussion such as policies etc etc  {new link to follow}

Message added by Mike

Right, a nice tale in ref to 'Lockdown life' - My wife (Nina) has just come off the phone feeling quite emotional.  Nina's Dad lives in a flat about 100 miles away from us down in Bracknell Berks, and although we are ordering him food to be delivered from Amazon, we can't get him bread or milk.

Nina looked up food delivery on the net, and noticed in the Bracknell news that a baker who supplies corporate events and the film industry, is now doing deliveries (Turns out they are doing 150 deliveries a day now!) 

Anyway, the bread and milk was ordered, so Nina rang her dad to give him the good news.  He was chuffed to bits, then asked....."Do you think they do fruit? Red grapes would be nice"......(Bless him :D) So Nina rather sheepishly emailed the bakers to ask.  Rather than emailing back, the lady rang Nina and was so nice about it, saying just like her dad he probably can't eat apples because of his teeth. Then said that they don't do grapes, but she would nip to the supermarket to get him some, and even told Nina to give her dad her phone number so that if he needs anything, prescriptions etc she would gladly oblige.  Nina was overwhelmed, saying you can't do all that - The lady simply replied......."Yes I can, we are all in this together".........

Lovely.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 18
  • Thanks 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 minutes ago, Len said:

Right, a nice tale in ref to 'Lockdown life' - My wife (Nina) has just come off the phone feeling quite emotional.  Nina's Dad lives in a flat about 100 miles away from us down in Bracknell Berks, and although we are ordering him food to be delivered from Amazon, we can't get him bread or milk.

Nina looked up food delivery on the net, and noticed in the Bracknell news that a baker who supplies corporate events and the film industry, is now doing deliveries (Turns out they are doing 150 deliveries a day now!) 

Anyway, the bread and milk was ordered, so Nina rang her dad to give him the good news.  He was chuffed to bits, then asked....."Do you think they do fruit? Red grapes would be nice"......(Bless him :D) So Nina rather sheepishly emailed the bakers to ask.  Rather than emailing back, the lady rang Nina and was so nice about it, saying just like her dad he probably can't eat apples because of his teeth. Then said that they don't do grapes, but she would nip to the supermarket to get him some, and even told Nina to give her dad her phone number so that if he needs anything, prescriptions etc she would gladly oblige.  Nina was overwhelmed, saying you can't do all that - The lady simply replied......."Yes I can, we are all in this together".........

Lovely.

Len. That brought a lump to my throat but don.t tell anyone. That,s amazing and the Bakers should be named and congratulated on their humanity if that,s the right wording. Thanks for sharing it mate. Stay safe

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
27 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Len. That brought a lump to my throat but don.t tell anyone. That,s amazing and the Bakers should be named and congratulated on their humanity if that,s the right wording. Thanks for sharing it mate. Stay safe

Yes a lovely thing Steve - They are called 'Wild Flour Bakeries' 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The perils of working at home.

Day 1

Daughter: "Mum? Can you get the lid of this pasta sauce? It's stuck?".

Me: "Look, you have to pretend I'm not here! I'm working! Tax payers money, Coronavirus, I'm not here as far as you're concerned. I'm invisible. I've an important job to do.  I have to concentrate  I can't be jumping up and down sorting you out all the time. You have to pretend I'm not here!".

Daughter: "But it's stuck fast!"

Me: "So ask yourself!  What would you do if I wasn't here?!"

Daughter: "Well, I'd have something else?".😳

Day 2:

I'm sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop and paraphernalia surrounding me.  I have a notebook on which I'd written list of the consultants I needed to e-mail about rotas.  I picked it up and worked through it.  Got to the end and saw that someone had written "mushrooms"!?

"Who's been writing on my work?!" I yell up the stairs.   A voice shouts back, "Sorry mom! I thought it was a shopping list". 😳

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
9 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

The perils of working at home.

Day 1

Daughter: "Mum? Can you get the lid of this pasta sauce? It's stuck?".

Me: "Look, you have to pretend I'm not here! I'm working! Tax payers money, Coronavirus, I'm not here as far as you're concerned. I'm invisible. I've an important job to do.  I have to concentrate  I can't be jumping up and down sorting you out all the time. You have to pretend I'm not here!".

Daughter: "But it's stuck fast!"

Me: "So ask yourself!  What would you do if I wasn't here?!"

Daughter: "Well, I'd have something else?".😳

Day 2:

I'm sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop and paraphernalia surrounding me.  I have a notebook on which I'd written list of the consultants I needed to e-mail about rotas.  I picked it up and worked through it.  Got to the end and saw that someone had written "mushrooms"!?

"Who's been writing on my work?!" I yell up the stairs.   A voice shouts back, "Sorry mom! I thought it was a shopping list". 😳

Louise.  She definitely takes  after you , that's the sort of reply that you would give.  (  I would have something else  ) love it. X

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
20 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Louise.  She definitely takes  after you , that's the sort of reply that you would give.  (  I would have something else  ) love it. X

Yes, she absolutely does! 😂

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Going back to my car.  I'm currently getting 3 weeks to the gallon fuel consumption

Steve  

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

REALITY ON LOCKDOWN

Had to watch my brother in laws cremation service on line last week.........just  awful,

this week  im getting daily updates on one of my longest known friends in icu fighting hard.......

so the rest, including being on here passing the time  is easy to handle ...........

STAY SAFE ALL x

• Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 31/03/2020 at 10:23, WoodButcher said:

If you are interested in knowing what is what in the night sky , and where to find it , I highly recommend downloading a brilliant piece of software called "Stellarium" .

It's free and completely safe and will provide hours of fun and learning .

https://stellarium.org/

I've not got that to work yet, but there's a pink / super moon tonight (at it biggest around 3 a.m)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
12 minutes ago, Simon T said:

I've not got that to work yet, but there's a pink / super moon tonight (at it biggest around 3 a.m)

It's neither 'pink' or 'super' ( bloody lame journo-hype again ) , and it's exactly the same size as it's always been ... :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

😆

No it's not, they brought back samples of moon rock, ergo a tiny bit smaller now

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

It's called a pink moon because of the Native Americans who named it as such because there is a pink  flower that is in bloom at this time of the year.  It's also called the fish moon.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
30 minutes ago, Simon T said:

😆

No it's not, they brought back samples of moon rock, ergo a tiny bit smaller now

Smartarse ... :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Me and him indoors normally work 7 days a week oh the joys of owning and running a licenced premises and we did say before all this that we needed to take some time off but not under these circumstances!... I have been in self isolation with mild symptoms for 18 days now and if that was mild I would not want the real thing! So himself has been avoiding me by refurbishing the bogs down at the bar and they were in a shocking state to be fair so he has his work cut out. Anyway we moved from a house into a flat in December and I have made a start on the unpacking finally. The spare room is full of boxes as we only unpacked the essentials ie-kettle...record decks😜. Now I am sat supping a cuppa knowing that I will unpack no more today as I just came across a 300 count flight case I thought was empty and it's full of records I forgot I had ! Downsides so far missing our kids and grandson but hey ho we skype them and they are all fine...One of my brothers was in ICU with the virus but he has thankfully made a full recovery....and this may upset a lot of you... when we closed down the bar and cleaned all the lines all the barrels that were disconnected and still full of beer will be out of date by the end of this month so all that beer will be going down the drain aaaaaargh what a waste! Glad to hear you are all fine and keeping the spirits up...if only the dickheads would stay indoors we would be out of this quicker but you can't educate pork! ...Stay safe people..x

Edited by bitchdj
  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
18 hours ago, Simon T said:

If you are struggling with stellarium. There are apps that you can use. I've not used it for years but one I found useful for people to use was "night sky" you pointed your phone at a star and it would tell you what it was called if it was named and also what constellation it is in (Not The Constellations on Gemini star) also don't forget that the moon is slowly moving away from the earth at about 4cm per year. So it will look smaller each year lol. And if I remember correctly the reason it looks bigger when it's low in the sky it's because of our natural perception as we know that items on the horizon are a lot further away from us than the cloud directly above us and not due the light curvature as this would make such a minuscule difference due to us just being underneath the atmosphere.  Hope this helps you a little.  

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 6
  • Listening 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Brilliant 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 06/04/2020 at 10:26, Mike said:

so here we are then

with week 3 stretching  ahead here in the uk...

time for a how's it all going out there catch up

how's it all going?

Well apart from the now very occasional vehicle, all i can hear outside is birds singing, bees buzzing and F35 jets!

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I spent the last two days pressure washing my back yard. A lot of the pointing came away, so I thought I'd get some sand and cement and spend a couple of days re-pointing it . Well, B&Q down the road are doing click and collect only , fair enough  . They bring your order out the front  on the carpark.  I went online and it said  " you are in a queue  due to high demand. there are 90467 people in front of you, estimated wait time , over an hour, then you will be redirected to website " . 

The pointing can wait.  Wheres me beer...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Greeting from ‘The Dopsons’ on this lovely weekend!  We have been counting our blessings that we have a bit of garden to sit out in (Thoughts sincerely go out to those who haven’t)

My brother in law (Graham) is the spitting image of the American whistle blower Edward Snowden, to the point where strangers often go up to him to ask.  Anyway, during our family WhatsApp group this likeness came up, so (to explain to our mum) we pinged a photo of Edward Snowden to the group chat.  Soon after I saw somebody else on the telly that looked a bit like him, so also sent that…..”Here’s another Graham!”……

Of course we now collect ‘Grahams’ no matter how tenuis the link - Hence the second photo below where Nina is holding glasses against our TV screen in our quest to get the most ‘Grahams’.

It passes the time :D

'The Dopsons'

634861140_MeTheFam.thumb.JPG.f1859b732808ad08f06f7c346fd362f3.JPG

'A Graham'

Graham.thumb.JPG.1902a808199907e3f7ad4b58d8383a84.JPG

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Looks a lovely garden Len 🙂. I love old brick walls in gardens, they make a great feature. Is that a kids play den, or a man cave ? .  Cheers, Mike

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

As the subject of gardens has been raised, and as I’ve spent the afternoon in ours, I thought I’d share a pic. Sure, not much of a “garden”, but even sowing, planting and growing stuff on a small balcony is a real pleasure.

Potting geraniums into window/balcony boxes was the order of the day, and they’re a brilliant addition to the colourful pansies that have been in full bloom for a while. 

A bit more to do tomorrow, and we’ve currently got carrot seedlings in a propagator, plus lettuce, spring onions and basil. Cucumbers, salad leaves, sunflowers and more will follow as the days get warmer and longer.

And being so close to Schiphol airport, what a real delight it is (in some respects) to have clear and silent skies for a rare change, instead of the every-minute roar of planes overhead and the criss-cross vapour trails that scar  the view. Selfish, I know, but you have to take the positives where you can in such extraordinary times.

41BD1B39-4011-4A4E-A854-F5A5CFDEF198.thumb.jpeg.aa1fbcd43d3e218cdfbf6b00fba8f8fb.jpeg

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Well done Russ, looks a picture that does 👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 minute ago, Veedub said:

Well done Russ, looks a picture that does 👍

Thanks! Planting and growing things, even on a balcony as small as ours, is a gift the keeps on giving for months and months. Never had an “outdoors” until we moved here about five/six years ago, so I certainly don’t have green fingers, but even with my limited abilities, it really is a delight to kick back and enjoy everything as it grows.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Veedub said:

Looks a lovely garden Len 🙂. I love old brick walls in gardens, they make a great feature. Is that a kids play den, or a man cave ? .  Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike,

This situation has steered us in to using the garden more I think.  You can see in the background that we have a block of flats just over that wall, so in the intersts of compasion, we are not going to have any BBQs whilst this lockdown is in place as we feel that would be rubbing it in, what with the smell of cooking going through their open windows.

A young couple rent a 'two up two down' kinda place that is part of our house, but a seperate dwelling - I have told them that they can use our garden, they just need to tell us when and we won't go out there while they're there (Others may want to do the same if in a similar situation)

The wooden structure is our daughter Tabitha's play den......but you have now given me an idea :D

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Just had a knock at the door...."Who could that be?".......It was the young couple who rent the the 'two up two down' attached to our house - They stood right back, but left Easter eggs on our door step, and said it was a thankyou for us lending them our garden, and that they really appreciatted it.

How thoughtful - I'm finding people are being really nice to each other on the whole through this.

• Up vote 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Len said:

Just had a knock at the door...."Who could that be?".......It was the young couple who rent the the 'two up two down' attached to our house - They stood right back, but left Easter eggs on our door step, and said it was a thankyou for us lending them our garden, and that they really appreciatted it.

How thoughtful - I'm finding people are being really nice to each other on the whole through this.

Good job it wasn't this lady knocking !

The guy isn't any better though.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Wow.  Maybe the police are still a bit unclear - I feel for them on this though I really do.  

Interesting times.....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Just sat in my garden having a nice cup of tea,  chillin after last night virtual visit to Bury  ..Does this country know that its essential travel only. There's no shop's open on Easter Sunday yet apart from the carers visiting a neighbour there must have been at least 20 cars in the the last 30 minutes alone. Some people in Manchester are obviously fcuk wits who deserve everything they get. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Was having a think this morning about what will happen when lockdown lifted - I guess a significant number of population will be straight back out there. Others will be more cautious and allow others to test the water, in effect continuing with a 'self imposed' lockdown until the situation becomes more certain. Think I'm probably in the latter camp.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
7 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Was having a think this morning about what will happen when lockdown lifted - I guess a significant number of population will be straight back out there. Others will be more cautious and allow others to test the water, in effect continuing with a 'self imposed' lockdown until the situation becomes more certain. Think I'm probably in the latter camp.

Steve.  I've always been a live for today sort of person so I will probably be in the first camp, venue dependent though,  I  wouldn't go to a local soul night or nighter just because it was on, music policy would still dictate my choice . But thought provoking post all the same

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 minute ago, Stevie said:

Good point. I think itll be packed everywhere . Seaside resorts, The Lakes, Wales, every pub, shopping malls, caravan sites fully booked, 2 mile queues at mcdonalds ! etc.. I think I'll steer clear being a loner , never liked crowds !

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve.  I've always been a live for today sort of person so I will probably be in the first camp, venue dependent though,  I  wouldn't go to a local soul night or nighter just because it was on, music policy would still dictate my choice . But thought provoking post all the same

Think I'll probably venture out for a bit of fishing along the shoreline but avoid anywhere crowded for a while.

Would be interesting to see what a poll might indicate.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Think I'll probably venture out for a bit of fishing along the shoreline but avoid anywhere crowded for a while.

Would be interesting to see what a poll might indicate.

Fishing.  Now that sounds like a good plan.  And obviously out and about with the camera, , I'm not one for crowds much myself either.    Never thought about the normal everyday people on your first post i thought you where referring to the soul scene Steve 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 07/04/2020 at 12:05, Ezzie Brown said:

REALITY ON LOCKDOWN

Had to watch my brother in laws cremation service on line last week.........just  awful,

this week  im getting daily updates on one of my longest known friends in icu fighting hard.......

so the rest, including being on here passing the time  is easy to handle ...........

STAY SAFE ALL x

my friend died last night.........not a soulie but had the heart of one .r.i.p

STAY SAFE ALL x

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Fishing.  Now that sounds like a good plan.  And obviously out and about with the camera, , I'm not one for crowds much myself either.    Never thought about the normal everyday people on your first post i thought you where referring to the soul scene Steve 

Most of my fishing these days is lure fishing for bass - bit early in the season now but conditions over last few weeks would have been perfect.  Also rejoined an old coarse fishing club this year that I'm looking forward to having a crack at.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
15 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Most of my fishing these days is lure fishing for bass - bit early in the season now but conditions over last few weeks would have been perfect.  Also rejoined an old coarse fishing club this year that I'm looking forward to having a crack at.

Talking of Bass. Last year i was in the sea at Amroth nr Tenby when I was surrounded by quite a few schoolie,s maybe up to 8 " amazing to see.

I'm not in any clubs these days , no one runs canal matches anymore.  After the local club pond matches i then  was brought up on the North West canal  match fishing circuit where I didn't do too badly , can't get into these commercial carp places, so i hardly bother . I don't pleasure fish very well, to competitive. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Today the boredom has really set in and after a few technical hitches I streamed a live vinyl set on FB my mixer is fucked as the decent one is down at my bar cueing by eye is not great ! Lots of people had a gander and not all of them soulies so I am guessing they are as bored as the rest of us lol!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I currently feel very fortunate indeed that we set up a mini gym in the garage. 

It's no David Lloyd, but you get out what you put in and there is enough in there to get a good sweat on. 

Have the 'workout playlist' banging out obviously. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, bitchdj said:

Today the boredom has really set in and after a few technical hitches I streamed a live vinyl set on FB my mixer is fucked as the decent one is down at my bar cueing by eye is not great ! Lots of people had a gander and not all of them soulies so I am guessing they are as bored as the rest of us lol!

i like it cookie .......educate the masses............😄

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I've been off work for 3 weeks now.  Like everyone else I've been doing jobs around the house.  Also decided to dig some of my lawn up to grow vegetables.  Will letyou know how I get on . But got a bit bored this afternoon and seeing that I haven't got an Easter egg to eat I knocked up a chocolate cake with creme chantilly and chocolate ganache on the top. 

soul 20200412_172749

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Guessing from your Username that asking you to post me a slice would be a waste of breath ... :D

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
7 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Guessing from your Username that asking you to post me a slice would be a waste of breath ... :D

7 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Ha lol.  If you ask anyone who goes to niters who knows me they'll explain why I have earned that nickname 😃 if I had gone to rugby last night if it hadn't been cancelled I wouldn't have made it lol.  My 2 sons are digging into it like there's no tomorrow.  

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sometimes a little dab won't do you ... been there sir ... :shades:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just read on devonlive about a London family who drove through the night to go fishing in Torbay in the middle of lockdown!!!!!!  Fined and escorted out of county.  Unbelievable

Dave Banks

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

With too much lockdown time on my hands I have been listening to stuff long since stored in my loft. Filed in the box marked must get rid of some time.

Anyway discovered that the version of Rosco Robinsons Thats Enough on the Japanese LP reissue is a different mix to the Gerri/Wand release. It has an added piano riff.  I'm going around quite excited about this discovery, but now 20 minutes later realise how sad I have become.

Must get out in the garden tomorrow and give my ears a rest!

Dave Banks

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 hours ago, Ezzie Brown said:

my friend died last night.........not a soulie but had the heart of one .r.i.p

STAY SAFE ALL x

So, so sorry to hear that. 😔. It's a terrible time. Like a nightmare really. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 hours ago, Ezzie Brown said:

i like it cookie .......educate the masses............😄

Can't believe how many tracks were blocked by the copyright police ffs !

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 31/03/2020 at 04:10, Amsterdam Russ said:

The night sky yesterday was the clearest and brightest I can recall.

Lots of light pollution around us, and we're very close to Schiphol airport, but I do wonder if the restrictions on flights and the overall reductions in road traffic - and thus reductions in air pollution - has contributed towards making the celestial heavens that little bit more visible at present.

Should we then call you "Hoofddorp Russ"?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Should we then call you "Hoofddorp Russ"?

Close, but no cigar. 😉

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Lockdown top 10 tunes
    All About the SOUL by Pablorally on Tue 17 Mar 2020
    • 21 / 1393
    • Pablorally on 22 Mar 2020
  2. Bridging the Lockdown Natasha Watts from her living room
    Soul Media by Coolnotes on Sun 05 Apr 2020
    • 9 / 477
    • Coolnotes on 08 Apr 2020
  3. Lockdown Disco Vol 1
    Soul Media by whosthatlailey on Mon 06 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 173
    • whosthatlailey on 06 Apr 2020
  4. Lockdown Soul Reading - Articles worth a share
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Wed 22 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 326
    • Mike on 22 Apr 2020
  5. New mixtape from Eternal City lockdown
    Soul Media by Marco Nerone on Sat 02 May 2020
    • 2 / 115
    • Martin L on 02 May 2020

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.