Corona Business Work Issues

Posted

Our industry is a bit different, as income is mostly reflected from how financial market are performing. 

We were hit early on and suffered an immediate and direct loss comparative to market falls globally. 

Things have slowly improved with the V shaped recovery, However, we do also have to generate new business which has been far more patchy. 

I do worry about the economy in general now, with unemployment set to double between now and Christmas. That is a truly shocking thought over 3+ months.... I don't think a lot of people have got the slightest idea how bad its going to get. 

And anyone still in furlough now, needs to question whether their job exists already. 

Paying for it all, and the budget in November is also going to be 'interesting'. 

However, I am confident a vaccine will be forthcoming fairly soon and the 'new normal' will quickly re-emerge, which may well be a better place than pre CV. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

•  Views 2.8k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys, I hope everyone is doing ok ref businesses / jobs. I've just completed four month's on my own at work, my two staff having been furloughed.  Soon in to this situation I didn't have

Some people make fortunes in a crisis. Others lose everything. Its a bit like that bible story about the good harvests followed by a stinker. If you've got no nest egg, you could be screwed. 

I eagely checked my Business account on 30th April - Not one company paid me! (You gotta laugh ain't ya?)  Although one payment dripped in on 1st May.....On a positive note - I did a job a couple

Posted

Some people make fortunes in a crisis. Others lose everything.

Its a bit like that bible story about the good harvests followed by a stinker. If you've got no nest egg, you could be screwed. 

The covid is different in that all the nest eggs in the world won't save you if you get it and can't fight it.

Everybody needs to be very careful who they mix with until a vaccine is proven.

Can't see it coming this year.

Ed

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Our industry is a bit different, as income is mostly reflected from how financial market are performing. 

We were hit early on and suffered an immediate and direct loss comparative to market falls globally. 

Things have slowly improved with the V shaped recovery, However, we do also have to generate new business which has been far more patchy. 

I do worry about the economy in general now, with unemployment set to double between now and Christmas. That is a truly shocking thought over 3+ months.... I don't think a lot of people have got the slightest idea how bad its going to get. 

And anyone still in furlough now, needs to question whether their job exists already. 

Paying for it all, and the budget in November is also going to be 'interesting'. 

However, I am confident a vaccine will be forthcoming fairly soon and the 'new normal' will quickly re-emerge, which may well be a better place than pre CV. 

There's definitely winners and losers and things could be dramatic over the next couple of months as furlough ends - for a few it's been a paid holiday, for many it's meant they could return to largely unaffected work once it was safe, but for a very large number it was just a delay to being made redundant. Which will happen just before Christmas.

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
55 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

There's definitely winners and losers and things could be dramatic over the next couple of months as furlough ends - for a few it's been a paid holiday, for many it's meant they could return to largely unaffected work once it was safe, but for a very large number it was just a delay to being made redundant. Which will happen just before Christmas.

Tim i had a 4 month holiday ( shielding , furloughed ) then got made redundant end of July . I'm lucky enough to be able to take the hit financially so not really affected.  As in  a earlier post I will look / get a job mid October.  

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It's worked out well for the employer, I've been on fourlough since March, and have now been made redundant. As I've been there 18yrs I get the usual notice which is 12wks,and that is at 100%so the government pays 80%and your employer puts the 20%to it. Winner winner for the employer. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

It's worked out well for the employer, I've been on fourlough since March, and have now been made redundant. As I've been there 18yrs I get the usual notice which is 12wks,and that is at 100%so the government pays 80%and your employer puts the 20%to it. Winner winner for the employer. 

Hi Stephen,

Firstly, sorry to hear about the loss of your job, especially after all those years.

It's completely understandable that you say 'winner winner', but I expect your employer isn't feeling that.  If they are making redundancies it means the business is struggling, so they are no doubt going through their own worrying time.

Of course the 80% has helped them pay you your 12wks notice, but very few companies have redundancy money just sitting there at the best of times.

(You know your employer, and how they 'tick' though)

Best of luck in finding something else.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Hi len thanks for your response mate, it's a very strange time for everyone, I've put in for jobs and got good responses considering I've never filled in a cv in my life, our company I work for has been on the skids for about two yrs we go in work just to play cards all day, so that's why my post was as it was. So take care and stay safe and your family too mate, 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I wonder if anybody in Whitehall has done the math on how much it will cost for your average universal credit recipient, compared to the average furlough amount being paid out?

I cant see it being much different when all factors are considered.

A no deal brexit coupled with this damm covid push unemployment up to 4 million by next Easter.

Thats a whacking direct cost to the government.

It might be time for them to forget principles for a while, eat some humble pie, and save us from being a third rate state.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I know some say that extending the Furlough scheme is just putting off the inevitable, but I'm now thinking that if the scheme was extended by a further six months, that might just give us enough time for more sectors to recover, thus keeping those jobs viable.

Yes this whole thing is costing an absolute fortune, but we'll just have to gradually pay it off once the economy fully recovers over a very long time (Like a war debt)

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Everywhere I have been this year most are working normally, from distribution centres, major factories to places that employ just a few or less, most have no social distancing, most don’t wear masks (think I’ve worn a mask on maybe 3 or 4 occasions) although most have hand sanitisers about the place. 

Many places did furlough staff but I think many just took advantage of the free wage payments.  Many were managing, just but come holidays and time off it was/is clear they won’t manage.  Most have brought staff back.

Still don’t understand why the NHS and in particular Drs and dentists are still refusing to see you face to face. At some point we will have to learn to live with this, its time many places began. Think many are using this as an excuse at times. 

Some will never recover if the stay at home policy is prolonged indefinitely.

Edited by Chalky
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Totally agree with you pal, I've been back to where I work to get my things. There's about 80 employees there and no distancing or masks anywhere, the same where my wife works, so why don't we just scrap all the rules regarding this and just get back to work. Government keeps moving the goalposts every day. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Everywhere I have been this year most are working normally, from distribution centres, major factories to places that employ just a few or less, most have no social distancing, most don’t wear masks (think I’ve worn a mask on maybe 3 or 4 occasions) although most have hand sanitisers about the place. 

Many places did furlough staff but I think many just took advantage of the free wage payments.  Many were managing, just but come holidays and time off it was/is clear they won’t manage.  Most have brought staff back.

Still don’t understand why the NHS and in particular Drs and dentists are still refusing to see you face to face. At some point we will have to learn to live with this, its time many places began. Think many are using this as an excuse at times. 

Some will never recover if the stay at home policy is prolonged indefinitely.

Hi Chalky,

I think dentists have the problem of spray because of the air tools they use, because the saliver is sprayed in to the atmosphere - They are seeing patients whilst wearing all the PPE, but I think at restricted numbers due to all the cleaning down between patients.

As you say, it looks like we will have to live with it at some point, so I suppose it may as well start now.  When everyone is back at work normally, the orders should get going faster.  There's a lot of companies not doing much at the moment, waiting for this to happen.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Len said:

Hi Chalky,

I think dentists have the problem of spray because of the air tools they use, because the saliver is sprayed in to the atmosphere - They are seeing patients whilst wearing all the PPE, but I think at restricted numbers due to all the cleaning down between patients.

As you say, it looks like we will have to live with it at some point, so I suppose it may as well start now.  When everyone is back at work normally, the orders should get going faster.  There's a lot of companies not doing much at the moment, waiting for this to happen.

I’m sure the dentists can put some protocols in place.

I had my eyes tested Saturday and the protocols they put in pLace and the gear they wire I thought iI was going into theatre for an operation. 

lets get back to normality, obviously some common sense is required and so e basic protection but we cannot continue to live like this.

The paranoia and fear displayed by some is pathetic.  Anyone would think this was the bubonic plague the way it is reported. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I’m sure the dentists can put some protocols in place.

I had my eyes tested Saturday and the protocols they put in pLace and the gear they wire I thought iI was going into theatre for an operation. 

lets get back to normality, obviously some common sense is required and so e basic protection but we cannot continue to live like this.

The paranoia and fear displayed by some is pathetic.  Anyone would think this was the bubonic plague the way it is reported. 

Karl. I was at the opticians last week ( Tuesday  ) they just used common sense when I was having the tests and not facing the optometrist I didn't have to wear my face mask only when I was face to face with her. 

Thought it was about 5 years since my last eye test actually 9 . Not much deterioration in sight so quite happy.  They have just phoned me and they're ready but no appointment until Wednesday.  

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yes the way it has been reported has been just awful.  My mum rang me one Sat morning because she was scared after watching the news (The media should be ashamed)

Common sense is all that is needed, alas lots of people don't have that.  Whether you agree with this rule is another thing, but some are saying that they are confused by the number 6! ........"We're a family of 5, so does that mean we can have one set of parents over for a visit?".....

Um, get a calculator out if you must, 5 + 2 = 7. So, the answer is NO! Jeeeeeze.

I hope all this is a distant memory sooner than we expect so the economy gets back on track, along with people's lives.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

You are certainly right about the media Len, especially BBC news. 

I used to watch it all the time for decent news coverage. But it seems 'Breakfast' has dumbed down and is now a cross between 'TV AM' and 'Blue Peter'. And the rest of the BBC news is just so negatively biased. They just skim over anything positive or ignore it altogether. 

Have switched to Sky news and have to put up with the ads. 

Wish I had time to read The Times every day. If I get a chance on the weekend I read it, you learn more in an hour about what's going on around the world than a full week watching the TV news. It's pretty unbiased too. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Alan Pearson - Work Work Work - Mutt
    Record Sales by soulgirl85 on Fri 12 Sep 2014