SOUL CHEF "CHICO" RIP

Without doubt we've lost one of the best. 

No mater what Chico played be it rarest of the rare or a £1 record he played it with the same enthusiasm.  He certainly knew how to create an atmosphere and get the crowd on the dance floor.  No politics just great music.

RIP my friend I am going to miss you.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I haven't seen Chico for a while probably since some do or other around Lancashire after Keele closed.  Met him at Keele first, I think(?), we used to buy and swap tunes - he was usually about with Mark.. can't remember his last name.. but we had lots of happy times sharing thoughts on tunes and 'being constructive' over each others prices .. 🙂 

Lovely, lovely lad .. R.I.P. .. me and my families best to his loved ones... I am truly sorry for your loss.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Gazoor said:

I haven't seen Chico for a while probably since some do or other around Lancashire after Keele closed.  Met him at Keele first, I think(?), we used to buy and swap tunes - he was usually about with Mark.. can't remember his last name.. but we had lots of happy times sharing thoughts on tunes and 'being constructive' over each others prices .. 🙂 

Lovely, lovely lad .. R.I.P. .. me and my families best to his loved ones... I am truly sorry for your loss.

Speakman was Mark, s name that escaped you. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, calvinlee said:

I hate to write this but unfortunately the soul chef/chico Glyn parry jones passed away this morning. Just thought we should have a thread on here to show our respect and share our condolences with the family.. 

The scene has lost a legend today 😪

Sorry to hear this-rest in peace Chico-family and friends at front of my thoughts. That was a super duper night in Dublin 

Social source share

Like several who have posted, I didn't know Chico personally but my stomach lurched when I came across this news!!! ☹️  

In my short time of collecting I bought several records from him, the last only in Feb.  Always patient with my 'know nowt' questions and cheery in doing it.

My sincere condolences to Chico's family.

RIP sir.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Knew Glyn from back in 76 when i first moved to Wales, he preceeded me and i preceeded him at the last prestatyn weekender,he did say he wasnt too good (legs) but he got on with it playing the music he loved,then off to play pool that was 'Chico' all over,he will be sorely and sadly missed on our scene, to be taken like this in these times with this dreadful virus we have at the moment just isnt right,my love and deepest sympathy go out to Pat & Lee at this very sad time god bless you,and thanks for breaking the ice calvin .......R.I.P Glyn Parry Jones 

Social source share

Chico ,My Memory,,

Portugal Weekender ,Last October;

Just finished my Motown Spot, Decks perched on a 50 foot balcony! Next D.J. sidled up , "Would You like a big Intro, "  I  humbly suggested??   He Glared at me ," There,s No Need Pal ! ""                                                                                                                                     E,r OK ,Suit Yourself?

My audience response had been , Muted? He cued up Philly All Stars " Lets Clean up the Ghetto " Vocal,. Methinks,, no chance a 50 pencer?

Wow ! the whole Balcony and pool area exploded! ,Everyone bopping about,,,next a Chill out 70,s Impressions LP track,,,this guy,s  got Something!

After he finished, he came over to a disconsolate Newboy ,{Chico had been supporting Algarve weekenders from there humble beginings to present Mega Status.!} and coplimented me on a good set.

Now I know,, What A thoroughly Nice Guy !. My condolences to his family;

Johnny ,Malaga, Spain.

P.S. Just ordered ,Philly All Stars off discogs ,Fantastico!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Following on from John Hart's post above, I thought I'd add what I felt/feel is a wonderful brief statement by Chico as part of a record buying PM with me.

"Drew, I'm just back from the Hitsville weekender in Spain... & just picked up

your message... Yes, record still here, but I'm off to the Skeggy weekender later.." 😄

The man certainly knew how to live life to the full"!!!! 👍

Regards.

Drew.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi just received this from chicos family link for funeral is www.orbitus.com
User name colwyn8019
Password 520499
It's going live at 11.40am and for 48hrs later and for 28 days can you pass this on for anyone on soul scene who would like to pay respects. 
Thanks . X

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!