Valerie Lamar- Gotta get away

Davidbrls

Yes nice little smooth crossover in the proper sense that's hard to value because not "common" nor "rare". Between £20 and £40 if that can be consider a 'ballpark' range. But Discogs sale's history show some crazy prices it sold for lately... Is there something going on with this record that in the soul circles we're not yet aware of ?

Social source share

It certainly is a really good floater- not somehing I'd dish out serious money for though! No idea whether it's getting plays around or not. have certianly run into it multiple times via online mixes on mixcloud and other similar platforms (and I'm pretty sure it was even comped in an all-femme sweet soul compilation 20+ years ago).

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Edwin S Wales said:

Is it “ Shame”....Stafford spin...anyone remember what it was covered as 🤔

Yes 'shame' by Valerie Lamar also on Dee Dee more "northern-y" but wacky somehow. Has charm but it's... 

And not worth much more although indeed a tad rarer but there's a reason for that 🧐

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

You mean 'together forever' which I love but it's really nothing rare. Even more smooth than the Valerie Lamar. Or his 'hello pretty baby' which is indeed "northern-y" and his most common record with an evident Bobby 'Blue' Bland-esque approach.

maybe ive got confused over the other dee dee release being worth more than Valerie's release, for me it needs more investigation, but not tonight. Thanks for the conversation, be back tomorrow with answers I hope 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There is another Valerie Lamar release. Dee Dee 113 "I don't Want Your Lovin"/ Shame. that must have been the song that fetches money £100+ Dave Thorley played it out. Quite interesting I think because when I heard Gotta Get Away (last year for the first time) I thought I must have missed something and it looks like a lot of people didn't know it. My first copy was given to me by Daz Holt, he having put it on a CD. My second copy belongs  still to Andy Dyson but im going to fight him for it proper gypsy style with shirts off when the weather gets better, its a bit cold at the moment and there are travel restrictions.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Gilly said:

There is another Valerie Lamar release. Dee Dee 113 "I don't Want Your Lovin"/ Shame. that must have been the song that fetches money £100+ Dave Thorley played it out. Quite interesting I think because when I heard Gotta Get Away (last year for the first time) I thought I must have missed something and it looks like a lot of people didn't know it. My first copy was given to me by Daz Holt, he having put it on a CD. My second copy belongs  still to Andy Dyson but im going to fight him for it proper gypsy style with shirts off when the weather gets better, its a bit cold at the moment and there are travel restrictions.

soul Valerie

soul Valerie 2

Is this Bobby Robinson AKA Morgan Clyde Robinson

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes 'shame' by Valerie Lamar also on Dee Dee more "northern-y" but wacky somehow. Has charm but it's... 

And not worth much more although indeed a tad rarer but there's a reason for that 🧐

'Shame' is a good crossover tune, not really northern'y', mid to uptempo. Not sure about 'wacky' ?  Value wise I've seen it consistently on dealer sites and the web for 150 - 200.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:16, Tlscapital said:

Yes nice little smooth crossover in the proper sense that's hard to value because not "common" nor "rare". Between £20 and £40 if that can be consider a 'ballpark' range. But Discogs sale's history show some crazy prices it sold for lately... Is there something going on with this record that in the soul circles we're not yet aware of ?

Its in demand from various scenes. If you can get 'em for 40 quid I'll take 5 please 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If you read one of my previous post I did mention 'shame' by her. Values ?

Valerie Lamar Discogs sales history. First of her I 'gotta get away' better IMO but less rare.

BTW I also did mention this sole crazy last sale; is it a 'boost' attempt to 'pump up' the price ?

2052189957_Capturedcran2020-03-3113_32_31.thumb.png.e5479ab95a3709d09e254ecff96ff577.png

Then of her 'shame' 45...

1442295281_Capturedcran2020-03-3113_32_00.thumb.png.0d867375e5104807f8c75041e6066db6.png

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

Would appear Bobby Robinson is Robert C Robinson Jr  so you maybe right if the C stands for Clyde

It would be lovely to get some detail on Valerie, if Bobby is correct then this link is about him, he passed in 2011

His brother was Danny 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/feb/21/bobby-robinson-obituary

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Gilly said:

no, I meant by your Guardian article 

I know that mate, I meant all the potential, Bobby Robinsons !!!!

I do wonder if I am right as there is also a credit for a D. Robinson on one of the labels and this article mentions his brother Danny

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/rip-bobby-robinson-record-producer-songwriter-happy-house-owner

• Up vote 1
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Gilly said:

The Dee Dee label was part of the Al-Teen label which included Fahrenheit, Mee and Winner owned by W.A. Meeks 

Which means I am wrong then with the New York connection and Bobby. I did think at one stage that Bill Meeks was from Texas, but then I am often wrong

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Harrogatesoul said:

Some info HERE! on Johns' essential site re Ray Pettis which will lead you to HERE! for further info. Bobby Robinson being the Chicago 'one'. Unfortunately no mention of Ms Lamar. Copies of 'Gotta ' do get snapped up as Billy Jo Jim Bob states above. My own copy is VG at best but it's a keeper for me. 

Strange we have 2 people called Lamar and not much info about them, it's a shame

soul Chico

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Davidbrls said:

has anyone ever been able to either track her down or anyone from the label's backing band so far?

I tried to lead the help and Gilly corrected me about Chicago (thanks) the Engineer was Stuart Walder, Universal Recording Studio in Chicago who was doing the Dee Dee stuff, but now I am stuck, so we need others who have more knowledge than me.......hopefully

I do wonder if the label was named after this lady, or would that be to obvious

soul Dee Dee

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Funnily enough I've just read that article. Stu Walder is all over chicago soul music in the 60s/70s as rightly pointed out with his work at Universal Recording Studio. See his work HERE!

I'm currently away from my collection and books/magazines but there must be something in Robert Pruters book? 

Penny Pendleton crops up too and could well have played on the Dee Dee sides as he is an accomplished jazz bass player. His son followed in his footsteps; info HERE! Penny info HERE!

Could the Dee Dee be Darlene Robinson? As credited on several sides...

Edited by Harrogatesoul
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Harrogatesoul said:

Funnily enough I've just read that article. Stu Walder is all over chicago soul music in the 60s/70s as rightly pointed out with his work at Universal Recording Studio. See his work HERE!

I'm currently away from my collection and books/magazines but there must be something in Robert Pruters book? 

Penny Pendleton crops up too and could well have played on the Dee Dee sides as he is an accomplished jazz bass player. His son followed in his footsteps; info HERE! Penny info HERE!

Could the Dee Dee be Darlene Robinson? As credited on several sides...

See, this is what I mean a wonderful jigsaw with the pieces coming together, thanks and hoping for more

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

See, this is what I mean a wonderful jigsaw with the pieces coming together, thanks and hoping for more

So I'm leaning towards the musicians could maybe have included The David Rockingham Trio? (discography Here! ) with the fore mentioned Rockingham on organ, Robinson himself on guitar and Shante Hamilton on drums. With jazz bassist Penny Pendleton involved it would be most probable that other local jazz session players were brought in. After all The Funk Brothers moonlighted all over the joint. Potentially others could have included members of Sam Chatmon & Sparks, The Tom Tones & The Troy Thompson Band - all jazz/R&B outfits. Incidentally, Penny Pendleton wrote one of the Tom Tones 45s so may well have been a member. 

Additionally, there is a 3rd Robinson, Frank, who is credited as a writer on a Tom Tones release on Dee Dee & a fourth! M Robinson credited on Valerie Lamars' I Don't Want Your Loving' . On the 'Shame' cut one of the co-writers is J Ross which I'd love to believe is Jackie Ross who was also managed by James Vanleer through parts of her career but I may be stretching there. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Harrogatesoul said:

So I'm leaning towards the musicians could maybe have included The David Rockingham Trio? (discography Here! ) with the fore mentioned Rockingham on organ, Robinson himself on guitar and Shante Hamilton on drums. With jazz bassist Penny Pendleton involved it would be most probable that other local jazz session players were brought in. After all The Funk Brothers moonlighted all over the joint. Potentially others could have included members of Sam Chatmon & Sparks, The Tom Tones & The Troy Thompson Band - all jazz/R&B outfits. Incidentally, Penny Pendleton wrote one of the Tom Tones 45s so may well have been a member. 

Additionally, there is a 3rd Robinson, Frank, who is credited as a writer on a Tom Tones release on Dee Dee & a fourth! M Robinson credited on Valerie Lamars' I Don't Want Your Loving' . On the 'Shame' cut one of the co-writers is J Ross which I'd love to believe is Jackie Ross who was also managed by James Vanleer through parts of her career but I may be stretching there. 

I don't want to add more rat holes to go down....but

1 J. Ross maybe Jerry Ross e.g. Bobby Hebb 'Sunny', Spanky and ..., etc

2. Penny Pendelton (if it is the bassist) used to club with a Dee King (not Dee Dee King) at the Pop for Champagne club on N. Sheffield Ave.

3. Alan Barcus, Bill Lundwall, and John Gillis used to gig around Indian (where Alan was from) as the Alan Barcus Trio back in 66/67. 

look for James Archer...

hope it helps

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Kenb said:

I don't want to add more rat holes to go down....but

1 J. Ross maybe Jerry Ross e.g. Bobby Hebb 'Sunny', Spanky and ..., etc

2. Penny Pendelton (if it is the bassist) used to club with a Dee King (not Dee Dee King) at the Pop for Champagne club on N. Sheffield Ave.

3. Alan Barcus, Bill Lundwall, and John Gillis used to gig around Indian (where Alan was from) as the Alan Barcus Trio back in 66/67. 

look for James Archer...

hope it helps

Jerry Ross - Of course. The romantic in me has me wishing Jackie Ross. Albeit a young Jackie. No more rabbit holes today but tomorrow is another day! Thanks Ken. 

From the very much missed Bob A - As ever a little nugget of info pulled from a YouTube post. 

sittinginthepark10 years ago

nice record from Evanston, IL, just north of Chicago. Bobby Robinson, the producer, told me he talks to her every few years. she has a second record on Dee Dee also that is rarer but it's not as nice as this one.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 11 months later...
On 02/04/2020 at 19:25, Harrogatesoul said:

Credits are a little different on the demo ?

Valerie A.jpg

Valerie B.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!