C.O.D's on ebay what will be the price

2 hours ago, Julianb said:

Not sure I could have danced to this even in the drug fuelled days!

There's a tune even faster than this  I used to play covered up as Micky valvano and the C.O.D's by Rico Barr and Boston barristers in the 80's. Yea agree this was a little fast even back then 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/03/2020 at 09:19, Speedlimit said:

The cod's. She's fire  a record that's never turned up in quantity  this old Richard searlings Micky valvano cover up had stood the test of time rarety wise with only a handful of known copies, what do you think this will fetch 

Currently on at $2555 3 days to go

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

I've never seen one for sale from memory. Will go for serious money I would imagine...way to fast for me to dance to...I can just about cope with a beat ballad😂😂...Thank you for sharing....Rob

Only a handful of copies, yes agree in this age condition doesn't seem to matter for records like this to go for silly money. Must say I prefer a more mid tempo crossover sound these days. Easier on the legs lol 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

All early bids have been cancelled. The auction has been re-started. Looks like the record has been given an extra clean to produce a better sound. I reckon someone with loadsa money has been speeding things up a bit to clinch the auction. I expect it to go above 5K now.

Is that in $ or £s ?

Social source share

1 hour ago, davebanks said:

Why is this particular Kellmac release so rare? After all its not many releases after the huge success of Michael a mere 7 releases earlier.

Dave Banks

with my conspiracy hat on, I'd propose it's  because it's got the name Singleton on the label. However, there are thousands of 'northern' records that are in two figure numbers and less, on major labels too, that can't be given a plausible reason  for their rarity.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Would be extremely surprised if this doesn't go $10000+.

If it can be danced to it is beside the point. It's just an incredible, attitude packed piece of powerful music. 

Depends on who’s interested. A top Northern DJ would be my preference. There are Chicago label hunters who collect by number so this would be a nice filler copy. There’s also the Mystery Shopper of Malibu Beach (no, not Harry) who has millions in the bank and is scooping the rarest of the rare at auctions.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Depends on who’s interested. A top Northern DJ would be my preference. There are Chicago label hunters who collect by number so this would be a nice filler copy. There’s also the Mystery Shopper of Malibu Beach (no, not Harry) who has millions in the bank and is scooping the rarest of the rare at auctions.

anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

Social source share

4 hours ago, Simon T said:

anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

Richard Searling, Dave Withers who sold it to Guy I believe.  More recent years Tim Brown.  

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Simon T said:

7 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Richard

Richafd Searling, Dave Withers who sold it to Guy I believe.  More recent years Tim Brown.  

Modernsoulsucks can probably fill in the details. I was just asking if anyone remembers actually hearing it played out at an soul do, Wigan?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

Possibly it's a much needed distraction ATM.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

Regardless of what goes in the world it doesn't matter / or affect  some people,  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Simon T said:

Modernsoulsucks can probably fill in the details. I was just asking if anyone remembers actually hearing it played out at an soul do, Wigan?

As Amsterdam Russ says above, was played by Keb, mid-80s. Would have been 100 Club, possibly Stafford, Leighton Buzzard, assorted soul nights, etc. Seem to remember he only featured it fairly briefly, few months maybe but that's where I first heard it. Played as by both 'Micky Valvano' and CODs in those confusing, bygone days!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Keb played it around 83 84ish Dave and Rod prior to that more recently Tim brown, mick h and of course butch. And of course Richard was the first late 79 covered as Micky valvano, played the same night as the combinations c/u chessmen nurons earnestine eady and a few others. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

Human nature...if a top collector died and the wifey sells the vinyl....not everybody would be respectful....some would see it as an opportunity.

Sad but true...

You hear a lot of stories about great finds in charity shops. Not many say they gave more than the asking price of 50 pence or so.

Vinyl addiction can be a cruel mistress:)

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/04/2020 at 21:47, davebanks said:

Why is this particular Kellmac release so rare? After all its not many releases after the huge success of Michael a mere 7 releases earlier.

Dave Banks

Robert Pruter explains the situation on pages 172-173 of Chicago Soul. Although ‘Michael’ was a Billboard chart success, the costs of pressing it up were huge and returns disproportionate. Kellmac contracted George Leaner’s Onederful label firm to do their distribution but this was disadvantageous to the company. Subsequent releases of the C.O.D.’s lacked the melodic quality of their early hit so failed to get radio station airplay or sales. ‘She’s Fire’ was released as Kellmac 1010 in 1967. By now, all the principals of the company are broke and the C.O.D.’s disbanded. Interestingly, Kellmac 1011 featuring the Combinations ‘What ‘Cha Gonna Do’ is also dead rare. Clearly Kellmac had no money to press up their final records in quantity. I suspect George Leaner would not have extended any credit to Kellmac given their lack of airplay and low sales. I wonder if Leaner regarded Kellmac as unwanted competition to his stable of labels, so was reluctant to help Singleton and Brownlee out?

Both of the mega-rare Kellmac releases sold for over $8,000 apiece in 2012 so this figure could well be topped later today.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Subsequent releases of the C.O.D.’s lacked the melodic quality of their early hit so failed to get radio station airplay.

"I'm Looking Out For Me" did pick up some local airplay on WVON  (#31) and also in Memphis, Baltimore and Houston - 

soul WVON

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, The Yank said:

"I'm Looking Out For Me" did pick up some local airplay on WVON  (#31) and also in Memphis, Baltimore and Houston - 

soul WVON

Interesting...higher than Jack Montgomery and some others worth having. The third release by the C.O.D’s so certainly more copies pressed than Kellmac 1010 and 1012, the last throw of the dice.

Social source share

18 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Jack Montgomery did go a little higher on the WVON chart a few weeks later but did much better on another Chicago station (WBEE) going up to 

#17.  Kellmac #1010 and #1012 must have been pressed in very small quantities. 

Not even small quantities, just tiny numbers. Even 1012 is pretty rare but the number of surviving copies of ‘She’s Fire’ is miniscule.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!