Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Speedlimit

C.O.D's on ebay what will be the price

The cod's. She's fire  a record that's never turned up in quantity  this old Richard searlings Micky valvano cover up had stood the test of time rarety wise with only a handful of known copies, what do you think this will fetch 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Condition a limiting factor... Was hoping nobody would notice 🤫🤫🤫and skip over thinking just another copy of Michael or I’m A Good Guy😴😴😴...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Condition a limiting factor... Was hoping nobody would notice 🤫🤫🤫and skip over thinking just another copy of Michael or I’m A Good Guy😴😴😴...

Me too  way to fast to dance to these days  😄😄😄 sure it will go for a few dollars 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Topped £1,234 within 24 hours. Sounds OK despite VG- grade. Shame it never had a widespread release compared to their other songs which number amongst the commonest Chicago collectibles.

  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
21 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Me too  way to fast to dance to these days  😄😄😄 sure it will go for a few dollars 

Not sure I could have danced to this even in the drug fuelled days!

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Julianb said:

Not sure I could have danced to this even in the drug fuelled days!

There's a tune even faster than this  I used to play covered up as Micky valvano and the C.O.D's by Rico Barr and Boston barristers in the 80's. Yea agree this was a little fast even back then 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Would love to have seen the dance routine they would do if they ever performed this one live. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I'd say that the visual condition of a record this rare is almost entirely irrelevant as long as it plays fine. And this one does. Absolute monster of a tune. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Saw a copy for $1000 at the la2004 gig..

You could also buy this for $10:

Ed

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
21 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

There's a tune even faster than this  I used to play covered up as Micky valvano and the C.O.D's by Rico Barr and Boston barristers in the 80's. Yea agree this was a little fast even back then 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 30/03/2020 at 09:19, Speedlimit said:

The cod's. She's fire  a record that's never turned up in quantity  this old Richard searlings Micky valvano cover up had stood the test of time rarety wise with only a handful of known copies, what do you think this will fetch 

Currently on at $2555 3 days to go

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I've never seen one for sale from memory. Will go for serious money I would imagine...way to fast for me to dance to...I can just about cope with a beat ballad😂😂...Thank you for sharing....Rob

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
8 hours ago, The Tempest said:

 

That's the one 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

I've never seen one for sale from memory. Will go for serious money I would imagine...way to fast for me to dance to...I can just about cope with a beat ballad😂😂...Thank you for sharing....Rob

Only a handful of copies, yes agree in this age condition doesn't seem to matter for records like this to go for silly money. Must say I prefer a more mid tempo crossover sound these days. Easier on the legs lol 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Currently on at $2555 3 days to go

I'm sure it will top between 3500 & 4000. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
13 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

I'm sure it will top between 3500 & 4000. 

I would have to go 4 to 4.5 K 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

All early bids have been cancelled. The auction has been re-started. Looks like the record has been given an extra clean to produce a better sound. I reckon someone with loadsa money has been speeding things up a bit to clinch the auction. I expect it to go above 5K now.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
8 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

All early bids have been cancelled. The auction has been re-started. Looks like the record has been given an extra clean to produce a better sound. I reckon someone with loadsa money has been speeding things up a bit to clinch the auction. I expect it to go above 5K now.

Is that in $ or £s ?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Is that in $ or £s ?

Dollars. Not much difference between dollars and pounds nowadays...

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Why is this particular Kellmac release so rare? After all its not many releases after the huge success of Michael a mere 7 releases earlier.

Dave Banks

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Another shite tune , that’s worshipped for it rarity and loads of people get the mindset it’s ace cos it’s dog rare🤔🤔🤔

  • Up vote 10

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, davebanks said:

Why is this particular Kellmac release so rare? After all its not many releases after the huge success of Michael a mere 7 releases earlier.

Dave Banks

with my conspiracy hat on, I'd propose it's  because it's got the name Singleton on the label. However, there are thousands of 'northern' records that are in two figure numbers and less, on major labels too, that can't be given a plausible reason  for their rarity.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Would be extremely surprised if this doesn't go $10000+.

If it can be danced to it is beside the point. It's just an incredible, attitude packed piece of powerful music. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
30 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Would be extremely surprised if this doesn't go $10000+.

If it can be danced to it is beside the point. It's just an incredible, attitude packed piece of powerful music. 

Depends on who’s interested. A top Northern DJ would be my preference. There are Chicago label hunters who collect by number so this would be a nice filler copy. There’s also the Mystery Shopper of Malibu Beach (no, not Harry) who has millions in the bank and is scooping the rarest of the rare at auctions.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Depends on who’s interested. A top Northern DJ would be my preference. There are Chicago label hunters who collect by number so this would be a nice filler copy. There’s also the Mystery Shopper of Malibu Beach (no, not Harry) who has millions in the bank and is scooping the rarest of the rare at auctions.

 anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
17 minutes ago, Simon T said:

 anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

Keb Darge in the 80s, although I'm sure I read somewhere years back that he was playing it on a carver (I could be completely mistaken about that last part).

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

 

4 hours ago, Simon T said:

 anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

Richard Searling, Dave Withers who sold it to Guy I believe.  More recent years Tim Brown.  

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
47 minutes ago, Simon T said:

 anybody on here remember it being played out, if so when and where? And who played it?

 

7 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Richard

Richafd Searling, Dave Withers who sold it to Guy I believe.  More recent years Tim Brown.  

Modernsoulsucks can probably fill in the details. I was just asking if anyone remembers actually hearing it played out at an soul do, Wigan?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I obviously remember it from odd play at Wigan.

Bought it off Richard for £100 around 81/82.

Played at Stafford.

Sold to Tim in 1999/2000 for £8500.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Yep remember it from Wigan thought it was awful then still do but it's rare so anything over 50 quid is silly money . Imho.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Simon T said:

 

Modernsoulsucks can probably fill in the details. I was just asking if anyone remembers actually hearing it played out at an soul do, Wigan?

Heard it quite a few times over the years

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
8 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

Possibly it's a much needed distraction ATM.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
26 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

Regardless of what goes in the world it doesn't matter / or affect  some people,  

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
9 hours ago, Simon T said:

 

Modernsoulsucks can probably fill in the details. I was just asking if anyone remembers actually hearing it played out at an soul do, Wigan?

As Amsterdam Russ says above, was played by Keb, mid-80s. Would have been 100 Club, possibly Stafford, Leighton Buzzard, assorted soul nights, etc. Seem to remember he only featured it fairly briefly, few months maybe but that's where I first heard it. Played as by both 'Micky Valvano' and CODs in those confusing, bygone days!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Keb played it around 83 84ish Dave and Rod prior to that more recently Tim brown, mick h and of course butch. And of course Richard was the first late 79 covered as Micky valvano, played the same night as the combinations c/u chessmen nurons earnestine eady and a few others. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Definitely a Searling play at Wigan.  I have a live tape with this on it.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
9 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad when someone can bid/pay absurd sums of money for a piece of vinyl with everything else that is going on?  Irrespective of whether good/bad/rare.

Human nature...if a top collector died and the wifey sells the vinyl....not everybody would be respectful....some would see it as an opportunity.

Sad but true...

You hear a lot of stories about great finds in charity shops. Not many say they gave more than the asking price of 50 pence or so.

Vinyl addiction can be a cruel mistress:)

Ed

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 02/04/2020 at 21:47, davebanks said:

Why is this particular Kellmac release so rare? After all its not many releases after the huge success of Michael a mere 7 releases earlier.

Dave Banks

Robert Pruter explains the situation on pages 172-173 of Chicago Soul. Although ‘Michael’ was a Billboard chart success, the costs of pressing it up were huge and returns disproportionate. Kellmac contracted George Leaner’s Onederful label firm to do their distribution but this was disadvantageous to the company. Subsequent releases of the C.O.D.’s lacked the melodic quality of their early hit so failed to get radio station airplay or sales. ‘She’s Fire’ was released as Kellmac 1010 in 1967. By now, all the principals of the company are broke and the C.O.D.’s disbanded. Interestingly, Kellmac 1011 featuring the Combinations ‘What ‘Cha Gonna Do’ is also dead rare. Clearly Kellmac had no money to press up their final records in quantity. I suspect George Leaner would not have extended any credit to Kellmac given their lack of airplay and low sales. I wonder if Leaner regarded Kellmac as unwanted competition to his stable of labels, so was reluctant to help Singleton and Brownlee out?

Both of the mega-rare Kellmac releases sold for over $8,000 apiece in 2012 so this figure could well be topped later today.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Has that John Kondos and the Inspiration gone or been withdrawn 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

 Subsequent releases of the C.O.D.’s lacked the melodic quality of their early hit so failed to get radio station airplay.

 

      "I'm Looking Out For Me" did pick up some local airplay on WVON  (#31) and also in Memphis, Baltimore and Houston - 

 

soul WVON

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
15 minutes ago, The Yank said:

      "I'm Looking Out For Me" did pick up some local airplay on WVON  (#31) and also in Memphis, Baltimore and Houston - 

 

soul WVON

Interesting...higher than Jack Montgomery and some others worth having. The third release by the C.O.D’s so certainly more copies pressed than Kellmac 1010 and 1012, the last throw of the dice.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Jack Montgomery did go a little higher on the WVON chart a few weeks later but did much better on another Chicago station (WBEE) going up to 

#17.  Kellmac #1010 and #1012 must have been pressed in very small quantities. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
18 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Jack Montgomery did go a little higher on the WVON chart a few weeks later but did much better on another Chicago station (WBEE) going up to 

#17.  Kellmac #1010 and #1012 must have been pressed in very small quantities. 

Not even small quantities, just tiny numbers. Even 1012 is pretty rare but the number of surviving copies of ‘She’s Fire’ is miniscule.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

well that went cheaply imo…...nearly put a bid on it

great record yes maybe to fast but whoosh.....love it!

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Shirelles , Cods,johnny Gillam,cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose
    Look At Your Box by Guest john-h on Tue 18 Dec 2007
    • 5 / 420
    • on 18 Dec 2007
  2. Wanted : Cods - Gimme Your Love - Magic Touch
    Record Wants by Guest stonedsoul on Sat 25 Dec 2010
    • 1 / 627
    • stonedsoul on 25 Dec 2010
  3. Cods - Shes Fire
    Look At Your Box by Wiganer1 on Tue 08 Feb 2011
    • 21 / 3967
    • Tony Smith on 22 Feb 2011
  4. Couple Of Nice White Demos - Sharpees - Debonaires -Cods Etc
    Record Sales by Keithw on Tue 10 Jul 2012
    • 1 / 529
    • keithw on 10 Jul 2012
  5. Bl**dy Ebay Bl**dy Ebay Bl**oody Ebay
    Look At Your Box by Kegsy on Tue 17 Sep 2013
    • 33 / 2275
    • Mr Smithy on 25 Sep 2013
  6. ebay sales - KING TUTT (had to repost on eBay) and
    Record Sales by Guest ollesoulster on Tue 31 Aug 2004
    • 15 / 1405
    • James Trouble on 03 Sep 2004

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.