Articles: Hit and Run! An Interview with Garry Cape.

Great article thanks. I learnt a lot (that many others probably knew already). Black Grape for one - I got a very good soul pack from them, probably when Garry was looking at winding it down in the early 80's. I never kept lists of what was in the packs, but I did do a tape or two for convenience and swapping, so will have to see if I can find one to recall a few of the records.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As a young teenager in Scotland, I also used to get Garry's lists from his Ogden address in the mid-80s.  Soul which was affordable enough to buy blind, and I was never disappointed. Black Grape helped start my love for lesser known southern soul at an early age. Now as a 52 year old, I must admit it was a bit surreal but also a privilege to interview him.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Thanks for taking the time to type that..really interesting read and has made me pull out and re-listen to all the Hit and Run 45s I’ve bought over the years, without knowing much at all really about the label and stories behind it..until now. Keep it going, as so many wonderful CD albums and certain tracks getting missed or forgotten about. Cheers and keep well at this uneasy time👍 Steve

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!