Bill Withers RIP

yet more sad news

RIP

thanks for letting us  know

soul bill withers rip

Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including “ Lean On Me, ” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81.

https://apnews.com/e19138ee60f29a319e45bcfba3e39331

Social source share

Oh no i loved Bill his live album at Carnegie hall was superb,there is a documentary about him that is fabulous a really lovely man   Rest In Peace

I think that is James Gadson on drums in the video

Edited by Smudger
aditional info
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

A one of a kind.  His live at Carnegie Hall LP is as good as any live recording I have ever heard.  Saw him live myself after Lovely Day was a hit, he did not disappoint and came across as a truly nice man, heading to put on a certain LP. RIP

Social source share

Great to see his later music appreciated. Other than a general, background appreciation of the singles I had overlooked his music then heard Richard Searling play the song 'Watching You, Watching Me' and was very taken with it.

Similarly on a wonderful Kent compilation album about Vietnam related Soul, I first head 'I Can't Write Left Handed' which was quietly devastating.

Eventually like many I envisage, I bought a box set of all his albums which are a source of constant delight, far beyond his wonderful singles.

A true artist, decent man, someone who knew when to stop and go do something else positive with their life.  Thank you.

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

such sad news. A softly spoken soul, with a beautiful unique voice. He reminds me of the other great talent Terry Callier in  musical style. A great songwriter and a lovely voice. Harlem was always a fave,  b side to Ain't no Sunshine which  is a beautifully crafted piece of music produced by Booker T Jones. RIP Bill Withers  a true troubadour.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"Ain't no sunshine "/ "Harlem " One of the best double siders EVER .      "Harlem " for me is the Number one Blaxploitation/ Northern track . Played "Grandmas  hands " live at Carnegie hall  ( maxi single )very loud for some reason just two days ago .  R.I.P .  Bill . 

Edited by Carty
Grammar
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Smudger said:

Here is the a fore mentioned documentary

Wow ! just watched it all the way through again ,it will make you laugh and it will make you cry but overall it will show what satisfaction with your own life is all about.

Thanks for that , a great documentary  and as you said it will make you laugh and cry , and Bill comes across as a great human being as well as a great artist.

Social source share

I saw him live at Hammersmith in 1989 on a treble bill with Gerald Albright and Pieces of a Dream. I was looking forward to him the least but he was great, telling stories before each song sitting on a stool, fully justifying his headline status.

Edited by Daved
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!